Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

please add a way to ignore games from appearing on the post ticker

bestman22bestman22 Member UncommonPosts: 93
I am heartily sick of seeing guild wars 2 appearing on it, same as with swtor when it was released, same as world of warcraft when its expansion gets closer... I certainly have no intention of ever buying GW2, have not read a single post on it, have no interest in reading them... so the thought came to me why cant I ignore certain games, like I can block posters?

Comments

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    wow so you want to come to a free mmorpg site and then complain that you cannot block out mmorpgs that are releasing? I thought the point of this site was to you know talk about mmorpgs that are releasing and have released ? I see the articles mention all the time about discussions , so Im kinda clueless to exactly why you feel entitled to come here if you do not want to hear about games that are worth talking about?
  • bestman22bestman22 Member UncommonPosts: 93

Im not asking for them to block them for appearing. I am asking for a personal game block list like your own ignore list... you can continue seeing them if you would like, I just want a way to stop seeing the same game that I have no interest in reading about all the time knocking things off that I might actually have an interest in reading.

Again not asking for a general thing here, just a personal way to ignore posts about certain games that each and every one of us could tailor to our own wishes.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

would be kinda nice if we could have it show all or just show certain forums or just block certain forums.

i don't care personally as i come here for general MMO talk as i'm interested in the genre as a whole.

but i can't argue with options. 

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    +1. These forums would be much more enjoyable if we could filter out games we have no interest in. Also I'm pretty sure it would conciderably reduce trolling and overall negative posting.
  • CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Its shows the recent posts, do you know how long it would sit with the same posts if you blocked certain games? I am thinking hours.
  • GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350
    Originally posted by bestman22

Im not asking for them to block them for appearing. I am asking for a personal game block list like your own ignore list... you can continue seeing them if you would like, I just want a way to stop seeing the same game that I have no interest in reading about all the time knocking things off that I might actually have an interest in reading.

Again not asking for a general thing here, just a personal way to ignore posts about certain games that each and every one of us could tailor to our own wishes.

You already have a personal way to ignore them, by IGNORING THEM.  Are you compelled in any way whatsoever to click on them?  Nope?  Didn't think so.  Don't wana read about a certain game, try doing what I do..that being, not read about it.

*EDIT*

Now before you can say something to the effect of "well they keep showing up, clearly they're the only ones being talked in right now"  That'd be the point.  They are the most recent posts on the site, not the most popular (Tho sometimes they are one and the same).  If you are seeking a specific game or type of discussion, go find it, or post it.  THEN it too will be on the top 10 and maybe others will join in.

Seriously..  I akin this to someone asking for a remote controlled microwave.  Just...   lazy.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by Gurpslord

You already have a personal way to ignore them, by IGNORING THEM.  Are you compelled in any way whatsoever to click on them?  Nope?  Didn't think so.  Don't wana read about a certain game, try doing what I do..that being, not read about it.

*EDIT*

Now before you can say something to the effect of "well they keep showing up, clearly they're the only ones being talked in right now"  That'd be the point.  They are the most recent posts on the site, not the most popular (Tho sometimes they are one and the same).  If you are seeking a specific game or type of discussion, go find it, or post it.  THEN it too will be on the top 10 and maybe others will join in.

Seriously..  I akin this to someone asking for a remote controlled microwave.  Just...   lazy.

You could say the exact same thing about blocking users. "If you don't like what they have to say, don't read them." How is blocking games any different? More options is always a plus in a my book.

As for your question "Are you compelled in any way whatsoever to click on them?". I can only speak for myself but yes, in some cases I'm compelled to intervene because I just can't stand the level of stupidity or fanboyism being displayed. So I post aggressively, then I get banned.

Like I said in my previous post, adding a game filter would surely improve the overall atmosphere of these forums and cut back on trolling/flaming.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Failings
    +1. These forums would be much more enjoyable if we could filter out games we have no interest in. Also I'm pretty sure it would conciderably reduce trolling and overall negative posting.

Add another +1 to that.  I've read through some of the threads that get hashed and re-hashed over and over again (most likely to keep them toward the top of the "Recent Posts" window), and it's usually utter nonsense anyway.  I'd love to filter out the ones that get out of control when people have an apoplectic fit because someone dared to say something contrary to their opinion.

Originally posted by Failings
    Originally posted by Gurpslord

*EDIT*

You could say the exact same thing about blocking users. "If you don't like what they have to say, don't read them." How is blocking games any different? More options is always a plus in a my book.

As for your question "Are you compelled in any way whatsoever to click on them?". I can only speak for myself but yes, in some cases I'm compelled to intervene because I just can't stand the level of stupidity or fanboyism being displayed. So I post aggressively, then I get banned.

Like I said in my previous post, adding a game filter would surely improve the overall atmosphere of these forums and cut back on trolling/flaming.

Your compulsion then isn't to read what's in the post itself, but instead to combat the posters.  Making you a troll of sorts as well, I recognize my own kind sir.   I too have faced banhammer and frankly it's whatever, but the fact remains, this site will NEVER have a better atmosphere, people come here for the forum pvp.

I'll also have you know that there are quite a few posters on this site that come damn close to giving me seizures because of how stupid I have judged them to be.  This does not in fact make them stupid, just makes my assessment of them so.  So in fairness I don't block anyone, it's a useless feature to me.  I would also likely miss out on a LOT of popcorn moments if I blocked so many people.  Half the time I'd have to try to block myself!

Ultimately it's not the sites responsibility to help you NOT read something here.  Far more in their interest to have you click and linger and read and stay for a long long long time.  Human beings are perfectly capable of deciding for themselves if something is either of, or not of their interest and move along.  You, and I by admitance, seem to enjoy looking for posts that are..eh...questionable, on purpose.  The OP seems to legitametly want to avoid certain titles, which is already easy to do by simply going to the forums of the titles he does in fact enjoy, or hanging in the general area.  I also submit he's perfectly capable of starting a post, as he's already proven, to discuss things he would actually enjoy discussing.  I'm quite sure someone will join in.

*EDIT*

Oh and yes, I suspect someone is close to saying why am I against it if it's somethign I wouldn't use anyhow?  I'm not against it, truly.  Like the gentlman above me posted, options tend to be good.  What it boils down to, however, is not so much about how nice options are, but more about do the people who maintain this site want to go thru the hassle and bother to help you eliminate reading things?  I offer a simple and greatly opinionated answer, but that would be no.

Never heard of a car salesmen telling me to buy a bike, I don't suspect I'll ever find a eh..news(?) site like this helping me avoid the text on its own pages.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
     Well the only post in the last hour have been for GW2, Rift, and SWTOR, so you block GW2 and SWTOR, and that leaves you with one post to read. Whats the point of even checking the site if the ticker is never going to be updated? I honestly don't care, just think its a foolish request.
    Originally posted by Cromica
     Well the only post in the last hour have been for GW2, Rift, and SWTOR, so you block GW2 and SWTOR, and that leaves you with one post to read. Whats the point of even checking the site if the ticker is never going to be updated? I honestly don't care, just think its a foolish request.

Darnit, I typed all those words and you said it so succinctly.  I'm jealous, sir.   This, I agree with 100%.  Thank you for being concise and doing what I could not.  I'm going to bed now.  Much love.

Originally posted by Cromica

simple I am not going to read gw2 or swtor anyway and with 30000000000000 gw2 posts per hour I cant even see when something I might be interested in gets posted because all that shows up is gw2 period.

I dont care about your game, I dont care if the same posts sit on that ticker for 3 days if its something I am actually interested in (with only like 2 or 3 games I really could care less about that never going to happen).   I just want to be able to look at the ticker and not see only gw2 posts or swtor posts or whatever.

Even if the ticker didnt change for 3 days I still can read the news articles and such that the site itself puts out, forums are just a bonus and only valid if I can see when something I am interested in gets posted so I can read or respond to it.

Lets flip it here and say someone makes 1000 posts per minute in hello kitty online forums... doubt you are interested in that but thats all you can freaking see as recent posts because you cannot block them.  Would you keep coming to a site that you could only get news and posts about hello kitty online?

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

this is sortof related. I agree they should update their code on the site. I does seem to be kind of old. For example, the images code. When you look at them, the next one to come up loads the entire page instead of the new image in a java window inside the main page. That's been a function and a free snippet on coders web dev pages for years and no one's used it here? odd.

I would like to see some upgrades including the OP's request. It's not unusual to ask for upgrades as long as people are nice about it.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I think the OP's request is going against the nature of what these sites represent. If there are people blocking GW2 because they don't want to see it, or TSW, or SWTOR, or WoW or whatever games, then it takes away from the marketability that comes from these sites.  Whats the point in inviting MMORPG to test out a game if the only people that are going to read the reveiw are the people that are already going to play? It just doesn't make sense for a site like this one to allow things like that to happen. Sure, it might seem like a nice option for the reader, but it's not a smart move for the site admins.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

I am talking about blocking forum posts.... not articles, reviews or anything of the like.... forum posts only jesus, the way it is right this minute is  all gw2 posts... cant tell if anything else interesting is been posted because its all GW2 all day

again to retierate I am talking about blocking games from appearing on the forum post ticker on the front page, not blocking articles from appearing, or anything like that... forum posts have nothing to do with this site or what game companies might be paying them to do... I just want a freaking usable latest posts ticker without it being complete garbage gw2  and thats it period all day long.

Currently the site is completely unusable unless I manually go to every game forum I am interested in  to see if anything good has been posted. not to mention in the past found some great games by seeing something I was not aware existed being talked about on that ticker unfortunately that wont happen again till about 2 months from now when all the gw2 and wow panda hype dies down again.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    I really don't feel our forums move fast enough to warrant this. Click "More Posts" on the feed to expand it and you'll see that right now during time prime there are posts going back almost an hour shown there. You should be able to get pretty good coverage using the expanded feed.