Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What style of MMO do you prefer?

Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114

There is always talk on this site of what style of MMO people enjoy, with one side or the other claiming to be the majority and I haven't found a poll for this lately and frankly I'm a little lazy anyway.

So here it is for my curiosity,

Comments

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205
    The MMO kind

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Personaly I prefer the full loot PvP style of a sandbox game such as the early days of UO
    Originally posted by BrokenSpoon
    The MMO kind

I see, I guess I missed the "I'm not bothered I'll play anything" option.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Personally I pass on anything that is uncontrolled gankfest.. this means most open world PvP full loot..  I'd rather see a hybrid approach of themepark / sandbox with optional PvP..  And to be completely honest, I really dislike the current loot system of no weight restrictions..  I would like to see the return of EQ's mechanic of weight limits.. It's the way it's been in RPG games since AD&D and beyond..
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    Personally I pass on anything that is uncontrolled gankfest.. this means most open world PvP full loot..  I'd rather see a hybrid approach of themepark / sandbox with optional PvP..  And to be completely honest, I really dislike the current loot system of no weight restrictions..  I would like to see the return of EQ's mechanic of weight limits.. It's the way it's been in RPG games since AD&D and beyond..

This term gets thrown around a bit, but if done right full loot PvP can be viable, you can't make it to easy for the PvP wana be's to grief, let's face it, it's usually the a$$hats that can't cut it at high level PvP that grief. I also agree on weight limits and such as in UO, you shouldn't be able to carry everything and the kitchen sink with you at all times in any form of the genre.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    sandbox FFA full loot pvp for.. i think without a game is missing somthing... but we all like different things..
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Bl4ck3nD

This term gets thrown around a bit, but if done right full loot PvP can be viable, you can't make it to easy for the PvP wana be's to grief, let's face it, it's usually the a$$hats that can't cut it at high level PvP that grief. I also agree on weight limits and such as in UO, you shouldn't be able to carry everything and the kitchen sink with you at all times in any form of the genre.

People say that, but has it really ever been "done right"? Everyone has their own opinion. Mine is no, it has never been done right - there's always something.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I really don't care which style the game I'm playing represents as long as its good. Generally the PvE themeparks with optional PvP have been better than the rest. Note that I don't enjoy them because they are PvE themeparks with optional PvP but because they are better quality games.

In contrast almost the whole sandbox spectrum is quite abysmal and all the themeparks with open world PvP have it as an alternative ruleset - an afterthought if you will.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

I'm probably going to get shot at more than Peter Griffon does when he vacations overseas, but I'm going for it.

A hybrid, like a "sandpark" or "themebox" or however you want to put it. I have so many ideas for it, but considering this is not my thread I don't feel like hijacking it.

Maybe I'll make that as my first thread, dunno. image

And with that, I now wave the whiteflag. image

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205
    To be honest, EVE is the best game I have ever played.. Sandbox all the way. 

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Actually, I don´t care as long as their is minimum handholding and some exploration in it.

I lkike to figure out stuff for myself and games that explain everything to me like I was a 5 year old kid just dont work for me no matter if they are sandboxes or themeparks.

Also I enjoy a challenge now and then, any MMO should challenge me a few times every hour.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Loke666

Actually, I don´t care as long as their is minimum handholding and some exploration in it.

I lkike to figure out stuff for myself and games that explain everything to me like I was a 5 year old kid just dont work for me no matter if they are sandboxes or themeparks.

Also I enjoy a challenge now and then, any MMO should challenge me a few times every hour.

+1

Cannot stand handholding anymore - it seemed ok at first severeal years ago when it started to 'pop up' in mmorpg's, but not anymore damn... - quest gps, map / mini-map markers, highlighting everything, real-time spoon-feed messages what I should do, etc  - make me vomit cause it IS BORING.

Sadly it seems like all of mmorpg's bar some low quality indie are doing this.

What's worse most single player games do similar :(

================

Theoretically best would be sandbox / sandpark with 70-80% of game area being PvE only (maybe with duels) and 20-30% of game area being 'wild lands' with ffa PvP with partial loot.  Bit similar to EvE system, but littel bit more restictive.

Still that does not matter AS MUCH as above hand-holding thing, which is seriously killing any enjoyment from playing.

Before you tell me about TSW - it also have high-lighting, quest gps + exploration in this game is close to non-existant, closed zones filled with ridiculous number and density of mobs.

Originally posted by Quirhid

People say that, but has it really ever been "done right"? Everyone has their own opinion. Mine is no, it has never been done right - there's always something.

I agree that IMO it has never been done properly, I had some ideas on how a system could work but maybe I'll leave it for another thread.

I also wanted to add that I enjoy both styles of gameplay (though prefer sandbox) as I do many different genre's of gaming from SimCity to DayZ, both themepark and sandbox have their merrits and it really just comes down to the setting and how well it's handled, gameplay and fun is of coarse the only factor.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Sandpark.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

i voted sandbox FFA full loot, because i want to look like i'm awesome and hardcore.

but i'd like to note that it really mostly depends on the systems in place and how they operate.  i like the way EVE works, i don't like the way UO works.

edit: old UO, i have no idea how pvp works in that game since the turn of the century.

Originally posted by fenistil
    Originally posted by Loke666

+1

Cannot stand handholding anymore - it seemed ok at first severeal years ago when it started to 'pop up' in mmorpg's, but not anymore damn... - quest gps, map / mini-map markers, highlighting everything, real-time spoon-feed messages what I should do, etc  - make me vomit cause it IS BORING.

Sadly it seems like all of mmorpg's bar some low quality indie are doing this.

What's worse most single player games do similar :(

================

Theoretically best would be sandbox / sandpark with 70-80% of game area being PvE only (maybe with duels) and 20-30% of game area being 'wild lands' with ffa PvP with partial loot.  Bit similar to EvE system, but littel bit more restictive.

Still that does not matter AS MUCH as above hand-holding thing, which is seriously killing any enjoyment from playing.

Before you tell me about TSW - it also have high-lighting, quest gps + exploration in this game is close to non-existant, closed zones filled with ridiculous number and density of mobs.

I also agree with these statements and hand holding to me is like I'm playing an endless tutorial.

I didn't even think of a sort of hybrid model, how would something like that work?

I guess the possibilities are endless.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

How about somthing that holds the middle road between a sandbox and a themepark, with innovating features.

Its so retarded that people try to put everything intoo boxes.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128

There is always talk on this site of what style of MMO people enjoy, with one side or the other claiming to be the majority and I haven't found a poll for this lately and frankly I'm a little lazy anyway.

So here it is for my curiosity,

We really need to see some sandbox mmo's :)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Games that are good.  I don't bother to restrict that to a single label, playstyle, or anybody's little box...not even mine.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
         I like a combination of the two with consented or optional PVP......I dont like FFA because I always end up the hunted instead of the hunter so that is definitely out.....Theme Parks? Im pretty much tired of questing from over the years and now just prefer to go do my own thing and explore.....I like a combination of skill based and levels.
  • 7star7star Member Posts: 405

I said sandbox openworld pvp with full-looting BUT I believe this should be in a special zone.

For example, the game I most enjoyed was Darkfall. I think that game would have been able to retain a larger player base (if among many other things) there would have been safe zones.  These safe zones would be small and limited to cities where there would be guards and laws, so that crafters and merchants could do their thing. 

The FFA PVP zones would be a larger area on islands or in the center of the continent where there were resources worth taking the risk to obtain. In that case, fighter-adventurer types could gather materials by gathering, robbing, warfare, whatever, and then sell or trade with the carebears in town who like to craft and do deals. Of course, some people would like to the option to do both. 

Sometimes I feel like taking a risk and going out into the wilds. Other times, I just want to chill and do some crafting/socializing. I think a sandbox should offer these kinds of options. 

But total ffa pvp is not fun. Letting the players be responsible for maintaining law and order is a big mistake, from my experience. There are just too many jerks that play pvp games. I think it is realistic to have lawful areas. 

I haven't played EVE much, but from what I have read, it seems like they have a good mix of things for pvpers and carebears to do. Is that true?

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Voted other.

I play only sandboxes these days - but I don't really care whether it's PvE, PvP or whatever. I usually play the sandboxes that are not combat-centric (for example: Xsyon, Wurm, Ryzom, Haven & Hearth) and in these games you can PvP - but PvP doesn't happen often.

That's how I like it: PvP (even with full loot) should be possible, but it should come with harsh consequences and therefore shouldn't be the main draw of the game. That's why I never got into Darkfall or MO - I always felt these games have far too much combat and not enough sand.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604
    Originally posted by Quirhid

I generally agree that open world PvP full loot sucks balls, but some games - notably EvE - have done it right.  Jumpgate was pretty good in that regard, except it relied heavily on a small but tight community to police itself.  That worked, but is hard to do in a larger game.

But, no, I will not be someones content

• TigerAeroTigerAero Member Posts: 127

Theme Park - Optional PvP eg. Battlegrounds, Flagging or Dueling.

I think dueling is a waste of time (also open world pvp) but I like BG's and mini games and such.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I prefer games that are fun.

Combat system needs to be fun. That means, it cannot be purely mechanical - you need to be on your toes, constantly thinking what to do next, even once you figured it out in detail. Just like, for example, go, or chess. No matter how good you get at go or chess, even the best players still have to think while playing.

Of course non-combat content, if present, needs to have its own constant challenge as well. Such as crafting items, or harvesting ressources.

In order to make PvP fun, it needs to be sportive - i.e. you need to stand a chance. Ideally with some kind of ELO system like they use them in chess, so you would play against people of your own skill. Theres also of course the possibility of mass PvP events.

A full loot game will necessarily make itemization very weak - it means you cannot work for the sword of dark doom for months and then lose it in a mere half minute, tops. People would /ragequit such a game en masse. Thus any full loot game will have reduced possibilities, reducing gear to just an ordinary, easily replaceable ressource.

Same, but worse, for permadeath. People claim permadeath would lead to more hardcore gaming. The opposite is true. It creates a flat highscore game, removes the RPG from MMORPG. Just like with full loot, this removes a possible dimension from your game, since you will lose the character on death. Unsurprisingly its games like Diablo that have permadeath, while real roleplaying games, even back in the old days, had always ways to revive your character.