Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FAQ for what is released so far

Comments

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by DaezAster
    We will have to wait and see what the game plays like. If it plays great and feels good who cares about anything else. A feature list isn't as important as it's implementation. 

disagree

Care to elaborate?

well its kind of obvious and has been stated many times. If they say the game is not going to be FPS style combat and with classes I can take a good guess that its going to have classes and not be FPS style combat.

So kind of like if they say a show will be on tonight and it will not be a football game and I am a football fan I really dont need to wait to see what the show is...

I understand what your saying but how do you know you like a show you haven't seen. A show can sound great in theory and suck in reality and vice versa. 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    We will have to wait and see what the game plays like. If it plays great and feels good who cares about anything else. A feature list isn't as important as it's implementation. 

disagree

Care to elaborate?

well its kind of obvious and has been stated many times. If they say the game is not going to be FPS style combat and with classes I can take a good guess that its going to have classes and not be FPS style combat.

So kind of like if they say a show will be on tonight and it will not be a football game and I am a football fan I really dont need to wait to see what the show is...

I understand what your saying but how do you know you like a show you haven't seen. A show can sound great in theory and suck in reality and vice versa. 

I dont know about you but I dont have time to randomly try things that normally would not be on my radar.

If you are sitting down to watch TV would you switch to the one station that is advertising something you know you dont like?

So for example, I know I dont like class based systems just like I know I dont like baseball. So why would I decide to sit down and watch a baseball game?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Don't feed the trolls.

Even though I knew the same few would come as soon as I posted this link. I posted it for others who wanted to know what little info we have from the dev's so far. Still not much if you ask me, I want to see some gameplay and some crafting info.

I can't wait to get into some huge 3 faction PvP battles though, its just not the same in GW2 with the 3 servers. 3 factions is just awesome, sick of good vs evil, dark vs light games.

Originally posted by Fearum

Don't feed the trolls.

Even though I knew the same few would come as soon as I posted this link. I posted it for others who wanted to know what little info we have from the dev's so far. Still not much if you ask me, I want to see some gameplay and some crafting info.

I can't wait to get into some huge 3 faction PvP battles though, its just not the same in GW2 with the 3 servers. 3 factions is just awesome, sick of good vs evil, dark vs light games.

3 factions is a flat out silly design. That said I cant make the point strong enough that some of us have tons of experience playing classes, tons of experience playing in 3rd person and we simply dont like it. When we surf the stations for something to watch and the TV says 'this is a 3rd person, class based show' and you have watched such shows before why in the love of god would you select this one thing to do with your hour of free time? It makes zero sense.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Don't feed the trolls.

Not gonna sound like an Fanboy, but GW2 took the steps to prevent any faction inbalance in their version of PVP battles with the 3 servers. Because there will always be enough players to fill the sides and there will be no imbalance between servers.

In an single server 3 faction battle, lets say they only allow 1 thousand player in each server, in that 1 thousand players, you need to split them into three factions, what happens if people likes to play the High Elfs more than other races, then you might have an imbalance of population among the three factions. Where one faction will have 500 players, and the other 250 and 250, now add an zero to the population of an server and boom the differences is now greater.

It happens when you are race locked into factions, people will choose races that they like, then choose races that represents the winning factions in that particular server. Therefore creating an even larger population differences, therefore destroying the PVP, just like SWTOR did with its 2 faction pvp.

But you are correct to say that we definitely need to see some gameplay, I do like their combat alternative with the stamina bar, but still with what is available information wise, this doesn't sound like an TES game at all.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

Originally posted by Lucioon

Don't feed the trolls.

Not gonna sound like an Fanboy, but GW2 took the steps to prevent any faction inbalance in their version of PVP battles with the 3 servers. Because there will always be enough players to fill the sides and there will be no imbalance between servers.

In an single server 3 faction battle, lets say they only allow 1 thousand player in each server, in that 1 thousand players, you need to split them into three factions, what happens if people likes to play the High Elfs more than other races, then you might have an imbalance of population among the three factions. Where one faction will have 500 players, and the other 250 and 250, now add an zero to the population of an server and boom the differences is now greater.

It happens when you are race locked into factions, people will choose races that they like, then choose races that represents the winning factions in that particular server. Therefore creating an even larger population differences, therefore destroying the PVP, just like SWTOR did with its 2 faction pvp.

But you are correct to say that we definitely need to see some gameplay, I do like their combat alternative with the stamina bar, but still with what is available information wise, this doesn't sound like an TES game at all.

The problem with this design is this.

if you want to play pvp tactically, politics is a very large part of true tactics. Removing real life politics from a pvp game is like removing more than half of the pages in the book 'the art of war'. Why am I talking about poltics when it comes to faction balance?

because the REWARD for good poltics IS imbalance toward your enamy.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Korusus     How about the part where they admitted that they are only going to include portions of every province, not entire provinces.  That screams on-rails to me. 

Unfortunately I have to agree with this wholeheartedly.  Seems the only logical reason why they are only including parts of the provinces.

Coming from better games in this regard, this is exactly why Aion disappointed me when it came out.  There was zero exploration.  That game (at least WAS) about on rails as any I've seen - though I've heard sweater could be even worse, but I don't know from experience.

I hate gated or "on-rails" gameplay.  Quest hubs I can deal with, in fact I still find that type of gameplay fun.  Maybe it's because My biggest WoW experience was participating in the initial closed beta.  I don't know.  Anyway, what I can't stand is when the rails are so apparent that it kills my gaming/immersion/whatever.  

How hard could it *really* be to include the entire provinces, regardless or where the quest hubs are?  Hidden open-world dungeons, quests, etc.   This is part of what would save this game imo.

Don't feed the trolls.

if you want to play pvp tactically, politics is a very large part of true tactics. Removing real life politics from a pvp game is like removing more than half of the pages in the book 'the art of war'. Why am I talking about poltics when it comes to faction balance?

In a game where Politic doesn't exist, the imbalance exists and is very apparent once the game launches and one side is bigger than others.

For a true 3 faction within a single server to exist, these factions must be able to make peace treaties, make wars and take territory and share resources. Without any actual political laws in place to protect the weak, the strong will get stronger ( more players jump ship to other factions, happened with SWTOR and happened with many other MMO) and the weak gets weaker where playing that particular faction is no longer fun.

3 factions is suppose to keep them in check, but when you aren't given an option to form alliances, then it doesn't work at all. Remember its an themepark, therefore they already set it up where three factions will be at war with eachother, regardless of population imbalance.

If you ask where Is my information from, its only from previous MMO that I have played, experiences not from TESO but from other Themepark MMO's.

I might be wrong, but from experience, that has always been what happened in faction based MMO.

Don't feed the trolls.

In a game where Politic doesn't exist, the imbalance exists and is very apparent once the game launches and one side is bigger than others.

you got it backward.

if you allow players to create any factions they want and declare war on whowever they want poltics will play an extreemly important role in recuiting. The reason one faction is larger than other be it offical or informal is because its better or another way to say it because they won the poltical battle.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I am not following GW2 thus I do not know the details or much of a GW2 PVP concept but this sounds like sound solution for PVP.

It does not matter how many factions you have, there will always be strong tendency to form power blocks and cross server PVP sounds like the only possible solution as it allows you to balance the sides dynamically.

GW2 almost impress me sometimes :)

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

"Player housing will not be in the game at release.(GI1)"

That just blows... why are SO many companies overlooking this aspect of MMO's nowadays... "not at release" is as good as "there won't be player housing"

So many have said "not at release" and they've yet to implement anything... WoW for a good example

Even Anet has stated that GW2 will have, but "not at release", i doubt they'll ever implement it, so why bother even saying "not at launch" because clearly it won't go in. Link for doubters of source: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/18447-guild-info-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry887047

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Originally posted by Hycoo

I think people should'nt compare this game to the TES single player games. If they do then no way it can live up to the hype.

Having an open world (mm)orpg that focuses on exploration is really something i am looking forward to. Instanced lobby games really doesn't do it as a mmorpg for me.

While it has classes, there seems to be a lot of options in character building as well:

• Every class being able to use every weapon.
    • By using abilities over time you can change how they work.
    • Perks.
    • Tactical combat.
    We'll see how it works out, but in terms of exploration and character building this game seem to offer something different than other current/upcoming mmorpgs. While it may look to replicate WoW in some ways, i liked vanilla WoW so i don't mind.

if it plays and feels like the TES game it's a TES mmo, if it plays and feels like WoW it's a WoW clone. simple enough for ya?

dont sit here and try to tell me i'm eating ice cream because you put milk and sugar in my meat loaf.

Don't feed the trolls.

you got it backward.

if you allow players to create any factions they want and declare war on whowever they want poltics will play an extreemly important role in recuiting. The reason one faction is larger than other be it offical or informal is because its better or another way to say it because they won the poltical battle.

But what you are saying is exactly what they should have done, open the factions so its not race locked, then allow players to form their own factions, so instead of 3 factions, now we have thousand of guilds fighting for an objective set by the developers. And in itself, politics can occur, and fun can begin.

But in the current TESO, there is no politics , there is only race locked 3 faction. And thats whats wrong.

But in the current TESO, there is no politics , there is only race locked 3 faction. And thats whats wrong.

It isn't wrong, it is not want you wish to be. 2 different things.

Originally posted by Fusion

"Player housing will not be in the game at release.(GI1)"

That just blows... why are SO many companies overlooking this aspect of MMO's nowadays... "not at release" is as good as "there won't be player housing"

So many have said "not at release" and they've yet to implement anything... WoW for a good example

Even Anet has stated that GW2 will have, but "not at release", i doubt they'll ever implement it, so why bother even saying "not at launch" because clearly it won't go in. Link for doubters of source: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/18447-guild-info-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry887047

Same here, I just dont understand the whole not at release comments.

For GW2 there was no need for housing, because there was player instance zone , a small zone just for you.

And for all the other games, I always hate it when they say that it will be implemented later. When the hell is later?? 1 month, 6 month, a year or 2 years.

Originally posted by Fusion "Player housing will not be in the game at release.(GI1)"   That just blows... why are SO many companies overlooking this aspect of MMO's nowadays... "not at release" is as good as "there won't be player housing" So many have said "not at release" and they've yet to implement anything... WoW for a good example Even Anet has stated that GW2 will have, but "not at release", i doubt they'll ever implement it, so why bother even saying "not at launch" because clearly it won't go in. Link for doubters of source: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/18447-guild-info-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry887047

For GW2 there was no need for housing, because there was player instance zone , a small zone just for you.

And for all the other games, I always hate it when they say that it will be implemented later. When the hell is later?? 1 month, 6 month, a year or 2 years.

What do you expect them to tell you?

They cannot say what they do not know but they do know that housing won't be in for release or that they have plans to release the feature but no schedule yet.

No problem there.

Don't feed the trolls.

you got it backward.

But what you are saying is exactly what they should have done, open the factions so its not race locked, then allow players to form their own factions, so instead of 3 factions, now we have thousand of guilds fighting for an objective set by the developers. And in itself, politics can occur, and fun can begin.

looks like we agree and I misunderstood.

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Fusion "Player housing will not be in the game at release.(GI1)"   That just blows... why are SO many companies overlooking this aspect of MMO's nowadays... "not at release" is as good as "there won't be player housing" So many have said "not at release" and they've yet to implement anything... WoW for a good example Even Anet has stated that GW2 will have, but "not at release", i doubt they'll ever implement it, so why bother even saying "not at launch" because clearly it won't go in. Link for doubters of source: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/18447-guild-info-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry887047

What do you expect them to tell you?

They cannot say what they do not know but they do know that housing won't be in for release or that they have plans to release the feature but no schedule yet.

No problem there.

Its just really hard to take a developer serious when they make comments like that. Because they can promise a million features and just tell us that it will be there eventually, and definitely not on release. So i guess its down to your Trust to the Developers in their words that those features will eventually become real.

I guess there is no way around it.

SWTOR promised features like Guild Ships, and Legacy features, ranked PVP. All came very late from release with more problems than solutions.

Its just really hard to take a developer serious when they make comments like that.

They are honest and tell you what they know. You are unhappy.
    They are dishonest and promise unreasonable. You are unhappy.
    They are honest, keep their promise and deliver. You are unhappy.

Customers are hard to please :)

Its just really hard to take a developer serious when they make comments like that.

at least speaking for zenimax they have not been honest and step one to absolution when you do that is not to tell the truth but to admit you lied, only then can you move forward and that will never happen.

• HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217

at least speaking for zenimax they have not been honest and step one to absolution when you do that is not to tell the truth but to admit you lied, only then can you move forward and that will never happen.

How has zenimax not been honest? Some quotes to back up your claims would be nice.

How has zenimax not been honest? Some quotes to back up your claims would be nice.

I should use the word 'disassemble' or 'obfuscate' instead of lie. That said I have to be honest in saying I am really not intrested in having a debate over statements like 'player housing is not possible like players want it' and 'everything has already been done in an MMO there is nothing left to innovate' but I understand you agree with those general statements and maybe we should leave it at that.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

After reading it over it appears to be an attempt at a GW2 "clone" more so than a WoW "clone".

Unfortuntately with all the all of the "traditional MMO" designs it won't be a TES game for TES fans.

• HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

I think people should'nt compare this game to the TES single player games. If they do then no way it can live up to the hype.

Having an open world (mm)orpg that focuses on exploration is really something i am looking forward to. Instanced lobby games really doesn't do it as a mmorpg for me.

While it has classes, there seems to be a lot of options in character building as well:

• Every class being able to use every weapon.
    • By using abilities over time you can change how they work.
    • Perks.
    • Tactical combat.
    We'll see how it works out, but in terms of exploration and character building this game seem to offer something different than other current/upcoming mmorpgs. While it may look to replicate WoW in some ways, i liked vanilla WoW so i don't mind.

if it plays and feels like the TES game it's a TES mmo, if it plays and feels like WoW it's a WoW clone. simple enough for ya?

dont sit here and try to tell me i'm eating ice cream because you put milk and sugar in my meat loaf.

Yes as i said you shouldn't expect this to be a TES mmorpg, but a mmorpg set in the TES world.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Don't feed the trolls.

How would unlocked factions help balance that?

What would keep someone from joining the winning team if they could choose any faction??

How would it even make sense in this game??? Why would an Orc fight to save the homeland of Bosmer, Why would a Khajiit want to help the Nords fight for their lands or get a Nord the crown, your argument does not make sense for this game.

I think factions have to be locked here, you choose what faction you will represent and play in that faction. They are fighting for their land, power and the crown.

Imbalance will happen, it always happens in just about every game with PvP. You might have to start an alliance with the other faction if one grows too powerful, or try other tactics. There is not enough info about the PvP yet to make any assumptions though. Have to wait and see if they have some kind of answer for it, if not oh well. I always have and will still enjoy true 3 faction PvP.  

What I meant about GW2 was that is has 3 server PvP for server rating and just fun. Your not really fighting for anything besides your server rating. After 2 weeks your server is then matched with another server who you may steam role over, or get steam roled over. Imbalance is going to happen here for a long time until all the servers get a constant correct score rating and the servers get a stable population, this may take a year or more for that to happen. I highly doubt there will always be enough on every server at all time to keep PvP balanced.