Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More Like TERA than Monster Hunter...

Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

RaiderZ is basically a low budget free to play TERA.

A game that was said to be similar to Monster Hunter hardly plays like it at all.

It's a disappointment for me to be honest since I was looking forward to a North American  version of the Monster Hunter mmo.

All I wanted was for them to drop me into an open world and let me hunt monsters for materials with as little guidance as possible. What i got was more of a tradition mmo with half assed TERA combat.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Comments

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Z3R01

A game that was said to be similar to Monster Hunter hardly plays like it at all.

It's a disappointment for me to be honest since I was looking forward to a North American  version of the Monster Hunter mmo.

All I wanted was for them to drop me into an open world and let me hunt monsters for materials with as little guidance as possible. What i got was more of a tradition mmo with half assed TERA combat.

Have you fought the Crawler yet?  If not, please do, then get back to me on whether or not the fight changes your opinion.

However, in order to save you some time, I have compiled a list of how RaiderZ is closer to Monster hunter than TERA

1.  Monster Hunter has enemies with breakable body parts.  TERA does not.  RaiderZ does.

2.  In Monster Hunter, you can either dodge or block to prevent or reduce damage.  TERA only allows you to do one or the other or neither.  RaiderZ gives you the option of dodgeing or blocking.

3.  In Monster Hunter, the best armor and weapons are crafted by going out into the world and gathering natural resources or materials scavenged from monsters you kill.  In TERA, the best armor and weapons are gained by hoping a raid boss drops them.  In RaiderZ, the best armor and weapons are crafted by gathering materials dropped by enemies.

4.  Monster Hunter does not have a class system, instead making your playstyle dependant on your chosen weapon.  TERA has a class system that only allows one type of weapon per class.  RaiderZ has a class/skill hybrid system where your weapon determines most of your playstyle, but allows you to switch between two weapons on the fly and use skills and spells your original class wouldn't normally have.

5.  In Monster Hunter, breaking an enemy's body allows your to gather some unique resources from them if they are large enough, and always affect how the monster fights.  In TERA, there is nothing to break.  In RaiderZ, broken enemy parts can be picked up and wielded as weapons.

So, as it stands, in point 1, MH = RaiderZ, in piont 2, MH = RaiderZ, in point 3, MH = RaiderZ, in point 4, MH ~ RaiderZ, and in point 5, RaiderZ = GW2.

Sorry, but right now, RaiderZ has more in common with Guild Wars 2 than it does with TERA, especially if you take into account the fact that unlike TERA, RaiderZ and Guild Wars 2 do not have subscription models.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Also Raiderz was in development before Tera and we all know how they like to get things think Lineage 3 and bluehole.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by RaulBlue
    Man this game is nothing liek monster what so ever. Hunter Blade is closer to monster then this damn game. And Hunter Blade has terribly easy ass monsters too. lol this is a low budget tera enoght said.

Care to elaborate?  If you do not, we will be forced to take your opinion as one from a person who never played the game and is hating on RaiderZ due to it being published by PWE (which is grounds for nullification of your opinion).

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• DragFireDragFire Member Posts: 16
    The game is a quest grinding killing 1X or 2X normal, small monsters. Sometimes you encounter a boss like MH. But the 99% is like other grinding games.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Since Bill just made a List of 5 from Tera, I'd post there my Tera vs. RaiderZ but it would be a negative one so I rather post it here :)

I didn't liked Tera, since I'm not a fan of action combat, and Tera is only that. And the combat. There's some mmo-ish shell around it, but that's almost not exist. Oh, and there's the combat too, if I didn't mentioend before. It was an amazingly boring game.

RaiderZ, strictly by the numbers and features is a dumbed-down Tera, with some Monster Hunter elements (although I played only the PSP ones). Since it's f2p and I have a PWE acc already, I downloaded it after it went to open beta. And to my surprise, it was fun. :)

As I wrote it under the RaiderZ review column I don't know why exactly, but it's a great fun to play. It definitely won't be my main mmo (lol, it won't be even my 5th :) ), since I don't see the longevity in it for myself. But I will keep it installed for the occasions I need a quick and funny gameplay experience.

So, for More Like TERA than Monster Hunter... I'd say nope. Tera is boring, RaiderZ is fun. And MadDemon already detailed, it has much more common in Monster Hunter games, than Tera. When in the tutorial part I first got that fish dropped from a sea troll and smacked with it the next one, was hilarious :)

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Z3R01

I actually prefer RaiderZ  combat system than Tera's. I also like RaiderZ class system, it's more sandboxy as in you can use skills from all classes.

On top of thatbi think the crafting your own armour system is okay as well.

As far as graphics and the actual world goes Tera has it beat by a mile.

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

No matter what you guys like to pretend and describe,  this game FEELS and PLAYS like Tera.

I have played as a Berserker character up to reaching the 2nd village/port and it basically felt like playing a low budget alpha version of Tera with a really nice crafting system slapped to it.

The animations are LITERALLY the same as Tera´s slayers, from the attacks to the way it holds and runs with the sword and most of the skills/talents were based on the early, basic attacks of the Slayer as well.

It literally felt like i was playing with my Slayer all over again, albeit Raiderz´s version is a bit faster.

I was told by the friend  that invited me to the game  that while things were a bit easy at first, once i reached the fabled crawler fight i would see the true light of this game and .....man, was i disappointed.

I just stood in front of the thing, only bothering to dodge the white mist attack , as i squashed him down with a little help of the pirate girl NPC.

Heck, the orange jumping toad boss before it was much more challenging and interesting as i had to be careful not to be squashed, and some of the regular mobs did much more damage than the crawler.

I guess at least i got a pirate outfit out of it? : /

Now, It´s not like Raiderz is all negatives, i enjoyed the faster combat and being able to use pieces of my enemies against them or use background elements to attack groups of monsters and the much better crafting is a nice touch but overall the game DOES play and feel like Tera and to pretend otherwhise is absurd.

It may have a few exclusive features but it is also lacking others that you can find in Tera, the game is much inferior graphically,  and for what people are complaining in the forums, after lv 25 it pretty much becomes a grind with just a few repeatable/daily quests to pass by, which if it proves to be true it would be a MAJOR point against the game.

And unless the difficulty OOMPH´s up suddenly in the next few levels, the game is MUCH easier and less challenging than Tera.

Soloing BAM´s on Tera took me a lot of effort and preparation and flawless execution and so far in Raiderz i can pretty much just bash at them carelessly.

I plan to go on for a while and see how it develops but so far this is a poor man´s Tera.

EDIT AFTER DAY 2:

Every single big monster/ boss i have found so far is a literal copy of Tera´s early bams and even shamelessly use the same attack patterns, only they seem to have less hp and are generally less agressive.

Take Fleetfoot as an example,  he has the same attacks and attack patterns as the BASILISK in Tera, literally.

Every single attack and animation from Fletfoot can be found in Tera´s basilisk.

(Only in Tera, the basilisk also had the white fog attack crawler does and the jump the frog does in Raiderz.)

Somehow, SOMETHING TELLS ME that the spider boss will have the same exact attacks as Tera´s spider boss lol.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    This games sounds fun. I just played Tera for some hours during a early beta and I did enjoy it. 
    Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.