Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MMORPG.com Buzzwords and Overused Phrases collection

Comments

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    All-game is the latest one.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Novusod
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Sandbox & themepark

These two are by far the most over used words here.

Topic-wise, "sandbox rabblerabble themepark yammeryammer" is in a close race with "things were way better in the good old days" and "Game of the month--best (worst) game evar?!?" for number one most common.

If course, there's not always a release in the immediate future (meaning for parts of the year, we have to survive solely on the first two).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by taulutussi

- Hater

- Doom & gloomers

Suprised it isn't on the list already.  Also haters gonna hate. 

Asian grinder seems to be used quite a lot.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I would like to request the immediate disuse of the following words:

-MMORPG

-game

-lol

-you

-the

-a

- " . "  & ", "

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Cancelled

Uninstalled

Deleted

Removed

Trashed

Dumped

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I don't know if "been there, done that" fits the bill. It does seem to be used quite often...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

How about all the negative descriptions of games not backed up by any real argument. I don't know if this all falls under "Fail" but we always get troll lines like:

"garbage"/"trash"/"utter ****" 

Also the phrases used to describe relatively "low" userbase:

"dead"/"dying" applied to games with millions of active subs....

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I would put forward 'buzzword'.

Seems as lazy and cliche as any of the others.

Seriously though, this thread is stupid. It's just turned into a long list of any word anyone has ever used to talk about MMORPGs... You guys need to step back and think about what you're doing a bit here. To the best of my knowledge you don't get football fans making these kind of nonsense attempts to over analyse their community and the language used in it, and yet we see threads like this all the time here. It just comes across as a bit tragic and pedantic. No wonder people outside the hobby think most MMOers are dickheads. 

I thought these forums were to talk about games, not each other.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Vorch

I would like to request the immediate disuse of the following words:

-MMORPG

-game

-lol

-you

-the

-a

- " . "  & ", "

I endorse this message.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Seriously though, this thread is stupid. It's just turned into a long list of any word anyone has ever used to talk about MMORPGs... You guys need to step back and think about what you're doing a bit here. To the best of my knowledge you don't get football fans making these kind of nonsense attempts to over analyse their community and the language used in it, and yet we see threads like this all the time here. It just comes across as a bit tragic and pedantic. No wonder people outside the hobby think most MMOers are dickheads. 

Joking around and having fun as a community?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

If you say so. Just came across as something else to me. Whatever though, I will just let you get on with it and won't derail the thread any further.

Originally posted by Meltdown

How about all the negative descriptions of games not backed up by any real argument. I don't know if this all falls under "Fail" but we always get troll lines like:

What about the opposite when people defend games etc. without backing themselves up with any real argument.

'Fun' usually gets used quite a lot in this context.

Elitist

Opinion

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

entitlement (entitled)

instant gratification

Used by people to avoid addressing any issue(s) being raised by instead attacking the people that raise them.

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524
    Bloatware, vaporware, sandbox.

Eleanor Rigby.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Sandbox -- We only have 6 active threads on defining it?

"Get a life" -- Because obviously you have a "life" commenting on a gaming forum.

Sandbox atleast needs to be used in "Sandbox features", what the hell is a sandbox feature? All 6 of those threads contradict each other.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

If you say so. Just came across as something else to me. Whatever though, I will just let you get on with it and won't derail the thread any further.

+1

• fernetekfernetek Member Posts: 61

WoW slayer

dynamic

pay-to-win

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Cash grab

Saw it 5 times today already...

• EbonyflyEbonyfly Member Posts: 255

- Carebear

- Cookie Cutter

- The Mcdonald's analogy

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Well since you are including "innovation" which is actually an overused misused phrase how about using F2P as well. Then throw in sandbox and themepark.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183
    Originally posted by Karahandras
    Originally posted by Meltdown

What about the opposite when people defend games etc. without backing themselves up with any real argument.

'Fun' usually gets used quite a lot in this context.

I was going by the "just troll the crap out of the rest of us."

I don't think anyone has trolled the crap out of anyone by calling something "Fun". Then again, for community amusement I would not be against putting "Fun" on the list. Then it certainly would be used to troll :)

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

How could you all forget "its a breath of fresh air"!?

I hate that phrase because of these forums.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Hey, actually "buzzword" is not half bad. Neither is "lazy and cliche". I generally go with "hackneyed" for something a bit more compact, but I'll admit that's not even close to as popular. :)

Also, I've always thought the language any community uses is hugely important and tells us a lot about it. Words are thoughts, after all. But maybe I'm a bit biased, being a fan of language and all.

Plus, it's good fun. :)