Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MMORPG.com Buzzwords and Overused Phrases collection

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by stragen001
    How could you miss wow-killer from your buzzord list?

Doh!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Drakxii

4th pillar

Other than 3 or 4 SWTOR posts I couldn't find that phrase anywhere else on MMORPG.com.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

....aaand some more:

• elite
    • noob
    • cartoony
    • rushed
    • cash-grab
    • 1990 graphics
    • spamfest
    • carrot-on-a-stick
    • hamster wheel
    • skinner box
    • depth
    • hello kitty image

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Uninstalled.

Many of the challenged here believe this to be an incredibly hurtful thing to say.  The "ultimate" insult.  LOL

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Originally posted by Serelisk
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn
    hardcore?

This^

Zerging/Zergfest?

Also, what is Little Johnny's Mommy? lol

A term of derison directed at people who buy items in game and where their money came from.

See: https://www.google.com/search?q=mommy+buy+site%3AMMORPG.com

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

• P2W

Buzzword?    When was the last time you saw a Cash Shop game with the term P2W in its ad?

Now ask yourself when was the last time you saw a Cash Shop game with F2P in the ad.

I think we now have an understanding what describes a business model and what is a buzzword.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by thinktank001

• P2W

Buzzword?    When was the last time you saw a Cash Shop game with the term P2W in its ad?

Now ask yourself when was the last time you saw a Cash Shop game with F2P in the ad.

I think we now have an understanding what describes a business model and what is a buzzword.

You've just helped prove the point.  It's an MMORPG.com community buzzword.

If a game has a cash shop, how often does someone from the MMORPG.com community call it Pay 2 Win, whether it is or not?  That's right, every fucking time.

Thus, shitty buzzword commonly used by a horrendous community.  That's what's being idenfified here.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    How about 'console gaming' or any iteration thereof where it's suggested that an MMORPG is how it is because of console games and those who play them?
  • rissiesrissies Member Posts: 161
    Too gamey
    Too arcade
    Too fantasy
    Too korean
    Catering to console players
    Next Gen
    MMO mesiah
    Originally posted by Meowhead
    How about 'console gaming' or any iteration thereof where it's suggested that an MMORPG is how it is because of console games and those who play them?

I know what you're talking about but I can't for the life of me think of the phrases or was it's been used. I need some help here - "console crowd"?  I'm drawing an odd blank here for some reason.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I disagree with "dynamic" being classified as a buzzword.   Also "living/breathing".and "hype".

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

^

Oh yeah. Messiah and The Second Coming.

Edit: Do you guys not consider Triple A to be a buzzword? 

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

Thread idea came from an IceWhite post.

Feel free to sprinkle any and all of these buzzwords through out your posts to validate your stance, support your position or just troll the crap out of the rest of us.

• Immersion
    • Innovation
    • Meaningful  - it's the MMO gamer's version of marketing's "impactful"
    • Dynamic
    • Gankfest/Gank/Ganking
    • WOW clone
    • Fanboi
    • Grind
    • P2W
    • Little Johnny's Mommy and every other variation of the phrase)
    • Mass exodus
    • Fail
    • "true/real/pure" in reference to the "right" way something should be
    • Hardcore/Carebear
    • "skill"  - generates heated debates on the same magnitude of  "Are NASCAR drivers athletes?"
    • Basement Dweller - ahhh... the classics :)
    • Veteran
    • Hype
    • easy mode 
    • handholding
    • living, breathing world
    • single player with co-op
    • my own story
    • FOTM / flavor of the month
    • dumbed down
    • epic
    • wow-killer
    • balance
    • action combat

...in no particular order. Kudos to Stragen001, Serelisk, Solarine, ZekkCC, niceguy3978, Psychow, Quirhid, IceWhite, Ramanadjinn and Kyleran for their contributions!

Add more! imageWill update with additional entries posted here.  If some ambitious and creative fellows would like to create definitions for them, I'll gladly update this post with those as well. This post is meant ENTIRELY as a source of amusement and entertainment, and any similarity between this post and serious discourse is purely coincidental.

"10 pages back"

a yo ho ho

Originally posted by colddog04

^

Oh yeah. Messiah and The Second Coming.

Edit: Do you guys not consider Triple A to be a buzzword? 

Actually, I had missed your earlier post. Thanks for catching that!

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

"kiddies"--used as a pejorative, of course. "i.e. 'wow kiddies'."

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Endgame

"on rails"

phat lewts

Of course, we should examine Game Propaganda for hype phrases too..."groundbreaking", "cutting-edge", "revolutionary", "trendsetting" etc.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    'Gamechanger', 'Paradigm shift', 'Dealbreaker'  and the most overused and incorrectly used word on this forum in recent times...Hyperbole.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

"...to stay competative."

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

Originally posted by Bladestrom
     the most overused and incorrectly used word on this forum in recent times...Hyperbole.

Were you shooting for irony there?

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

Not really buzzwords, but overused and annoying to me:

• Heck  (or the somewhat spicier: Hell) to begin a sentence
    • That said  (The English language has so many other ways to handle this)
    • Meh
    • Going forward

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

{insert characteristic here} is what players really want.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
     the most overused and incorrectly used word on this forum in recent times...Hyperbole.

Were you shooting for irony there?

cha-ching :)

lobby, grind, 'not for me', 'wow-copy' 'no-end-game', evolution.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    "vocal minority" aka anyone who likes something you don't, or vice versa.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

GW2

blast

cant count how many times ive seen "im having a blast"....i roll my eyes everytime i see it now