Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cancelled my pre-order today. Heres why

1568101121

Comments

  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,065
    Originally posted by P4YB4CK

    Amazing, the OP hit a nerve, I guess we will all find out in 2 months if GW2 lives up to its hype as well.

    And honestly the poster stated his reasons, many GW2 fanantics are as guilty of posting this same type of thread on the TSW and SWToR  forum. So what we have here is the pot calling the kettle black, we should all be used to this by now.

    I understand people want to fill like they chose the mmo that everyone will flock to and call a success, however we are getting another Themepark MMO. I already accepted this and know that GW2 isn't going to be a long term game for me, however if I get my $59.99 out of this game, I will be happy like I did with SWToR since both games can be played without a sub.

    I just can't wait till we get a mmorpg that can match up to Ultima Online game mechanics as well as a mmorpg that can succeed Dark Age of Camelot Faction RvR system.

     

     

    And since when a MMORPG being a theme park is a problrm?

    Yes, GW2 is a theme park.

    Awesome, I like my games to be made by professionals, that develop good content..

    The large majority of GW2 players has never posted in other games forums - if someone goes talk crap in other forums shoot them down there.

    Second the Op is talking crap.

    Anet didn't remove raids since they were never part of the game, although there are open world like raid encounters.

    WvW is only a bash on gate fest if you are an idiot - catapults and trebuchets destroy gates and WALLS fine and fast.

    Any boosts found in the black lion chests can be gained by other in game methods - some will say that they stack but I doubt (my speculation based on GW1 systems) there isnt a hard cap and one can obtain what is needed to open the chests in game.

    There is end game - anyone that has played the game for more than a few levels know the AI fights better at higher levels - they kite you they CC you, they combine effects, etc.

    Anyone that played more than a few levels know the damn AI keeps conquering the outposts and waypoints. I can just imagine when you are in a full hostile place like Orr, filled with smart AI, entrenched there...

     

    Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Psychow
     

     

    what was the misinformation part? Just wondering...

    I'm guessing the 4th point at the very minimum.

    I'm happy to elaborate if you are truely are curious although all the information has been talked about a ton of times already.. but if you really are curious ill be happy to write it out although all the info is in the videos in my sig although I seem to be offending some people when I refer them to my sig

     

    Don't get me wrong, I have pre-purchased andam looking forward to the game. I was just wondering if his "opinion" was being confused as "minsinformation". If that makes sense. So that is what I was REALLY asking.

     

    I saw your post with all the video links. Great work btw. But I have chosen to try to do the minimum of pre-release game investigating so that I can begin playing fresh. I'm sure I'll "crack" and start researching when the 25th approaches...heh. 

    seems like others covered all the topics already.. honestly though I'd go to my sig and watch the videos under " Hot Topics" Those explain all these in much greater detail than I could easily explain in words

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  • sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

    Reasoning with people that dislike the game is futile.

     

    But what is a mistery to me is that after posting sevral praises of TSW on various threads and pretty much every one knows that you wouldn't be trying it only to post in the end that you are getting your refund. Not only that but then come into the thread again and posting over and over while its a sunday and you should be enjoying your time on tsw.

     

    Just mid blowing.

     

    image

    “The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

    Carl Sagan-

  • terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

    1. Regarding "no raids": This game was never going to have any. Ever. The statementt that Anet removed them for any reason (let alone the OPs claims that the combat system couldn't hack it) are outright false.

     

    2. Regarding P2W: "its obvious to anyone who is familiar with MMO's that it will end up that way." False. It's obvious it COULD end up that way...so could any game with a cash shop. On the other hand. Anet has been quoted as saying they lokoed to League of Legends as a model for how to roll a CS, and that game is easily the most fair cash sop I've ever seen. You cannpt judge a game on what it might do. For that matter, TSW might turn into a traditional class-based fantasy game, WoW might become an FPS, Tera might actually put pants on its catgirls! All those statemetns are speculation at best, and they're all equally ridiculous. 

     

    3. BAD WvW is pointless zerging. Go talk to groups like Legacy about what good keep warfare looks like. Only idiots and noobs zerg. A couple weeks into this game and you're not likely to see that as much- or at all.

     

    4. This is the only point the OP makes that has even a chance of legitimacy in the long run....and only from a subjective standpoint. Characters can progrees by completing achievements, HoM stuff, getting legendary weapons, etc. This is not a traditional endgame, nor has it ever pretended to be. It may not be for everyone, and I'd call it the biggest gamble Anet is making on this game. 

     

    I realize I'm feeding an obvious attempt at baiting people, but for anyone that sees this page, a little bit of honesty can't hurt.

  • DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    Not sure what the big deal is here, certainly not this many posts worthy. He obviously needed to get that off of his chest before he could move on. He said his peace, we thanked him for telling us, now everybody moves on. No need to belabor all of these points over and over again. Just let the thread die.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 9,864
    already been covered.
  • xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

    [mod edit] sPVP (not the tourny, but the hot join one) is really a zergfest. WvWvW, depends on your battle and how you play it can go whatever way.

     

    Everyone on the beta forums on BWE3 agreed to have a 5v5 hot join pvp not 8v8, becasuse it is really  irritating that you can't have 1v1 fights or 2v2s without someone coming in and ruining by zerging.

  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,905
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by P4YB4CK
    Originally posted by Vesavius

    Oh look... another low post count/ low activity OP feeling, mysteriously, the need to now engage with the wider community about why they won't be playing this game...

     

    I think there are a lot of parties out there very worried about GW2.

     

     

    Why would parties be worried about GW2?

    They are worried that people would be playing GW2 instead of partying?

     

    Sometimes I forget who I am talking to... :/

  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by P4YB4CK

    Amazing, the OP hit a nerve, I guess we will all find out in 2 months if GW2 lives up to its hype as well.

    And honestly the poster stated his reasons, many GW2 fanantics are as guilty of posting this same type of thread on the TSW and SWToR  forum. So what we have here is the pot calling the kettle black, we should all be used to this by now.

    I understand people want to fill like they chose the mmo that everyone will flock to and call a success, however we are getting another Themepark MMO. I already accepted this and know that GW2 isn't going to be a long term game for me, however if I get my $59.99 out of this game, I will be happy like I did with SWToR since both games can be played without a sub.

    I just can't wait till we get a mmorpg that can match up to Ultima Online game mechanics as well as a mmorpg that can succeed Dark Age of Camelot Faction RvR system.

     

     

    And since when a MMORPG being a theme park is a problrm?

    Yes, GW2 is a theme park.

    Awesome, I like my games to be made by professionals, that develop good content..

    The large majority of GW2 players has never posted in other games forums - if someone goes talk crap in other forums shoot them down there.

    Second the Op is talking crap.

    Anet didn't remove raids since they were never part of the game, although there are open world like raid encounters.

    WvW is only a bash on gate fest if you are an idiot - catapults and trebuchets destroy gates and WALLS fine and fast.

    Any boosts found in the black lion chests can be gained by other in game methods - some will say that they stack but I doubt (my speculation based on GW1 systems) there isnt a hard cap and one can obtain what is needed to open the chests in game.

    There is end game - anyone that has played the game for more than a few levels know the AI fights better at higher levels - they kite you they CC you, they combine effects, etc.

    Anyone that played more than a few levels know the damn AI keeps conquering the outposts and waypoints. I can just imagine when you are in a full hostile place like Orr, filled with smart AI, entrenched there...

     

     

    Go easy on the caffeine first of all and 2nd I couldn't care less if you like Themepark MMO's or not, I just stated it was another Themepark mmo. I didn't mean anything derogatory but apparently you took offense for some reason.

  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by P4YB4CK
    Originally posted by Vesavius

    Oh look... another low post count/ low activity OP feeling, mysteriously, the need to now engage with the wider community about why they won't be playing this game...

     

    I think there are a lot of parties out there very worried about GW2.

     

     

    Why would parties be worried about GW2?

    They are worried that people would be playing GW2 instead of partying?

    Ahh, I get it now.

  • BubbaganooshBubbaganoosh Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by BilboDoggins

    4. No endgame- GW2 endgame= the same stuff you were doing since level one since "everything is endgame". Once you hit 80 there is nothing to do which provides actual character progression anymore.

    Ever hear the quote "Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it." I'll be happy with my 100 hours + it will take ME to get to max level. I'm not saying it will take everyone this long but I am going to drag it out and have fun with the content. $60 is worth the content just in leveling up and exploring. Look at skyrim, costs $60 and there is no "End Game" to be spoken of, but a lot of people love the game. Maybe MMO's don't have to be about end game either.
     

  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 9,864

    But it's not his "opinion", it is instead really "misinformation". 

     

    He's saying the game has no raids, which is both misinformation and a straight out lie. The game has raids, just not in the traditional sense and not for it's end-game goal.  

     

    Ok come on guys. 

  • SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286
    Comedy thread, woohoo!
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by bcbully

    But it's not his "opinion", it is instead really "misinformation". 

     

    He's saying the game has no raids, which is both misinformation and a straight out lie. The game has raids, just not in the traditional sense and not for it's end-game goal.  

     

    Ok come on guys. 

    so open world raids don't count as raids? interesting

    according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_(gaming)   guild wars 2 elder dragons and later level DE boss fights would be considered raids

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  • Its funny that you talk about raids and then complain that WvW is a mindless zerg when good WvW requires large scale organization.  Something doesn't add up.
  • LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Who cares either way, you like it or you don t. Not sure why everyone has to tell people this shit. It really baffles me, like I m supposed to care either way.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,065
    Originally posted by P4YB4CK
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by P4YB4CK

    Amazing, the OP hit a nerve, I guess we will all find out in 2 months if GW2 lives up to its hype as well.

    And honestly the poster stated his reasons, many GW2 fanantics are as guilty of posting this same type of thread on the TSW and SWToR  forum. So what we have here is the pot calling the kettle black, we should all be used to this by now.

    I understand people want to fill like they chose the mmo that everyone will flock to and call a success, however we are getting another Themepark MMO. I already accepted this and know that GW2 isn't going to be a long term game for me, however if I get my $59.99 out of this game, I will be happy like I did with SWToR since both games can be played without a sub.

    I just can't wait till we get a mmorpg that can match up to Ultima Online game mechanics as well as a mmorpg that can succeed Dark Age of Camelot Faction RvR system.

     

     

    And since when a MMORPG being a theme park is a problrm?

    Yes, GW2 is a theme park.

    Awesome, I like my games to be made by professionals, that develop good content..

    The large majority of GW2 players has never posted in other games forums - if someone goes talk crap in other forums shoot them down there.

    Second the Op is talking crap.

    Anet didn't remove raids since they were never part of the game, although there are open world like raid encounters.

    WvW is only a bash on gate fest if you are an idiot - catapults and trebuchets destroy gates and WALLS fine and fast.

    Any boosts found in the black lion chests can be gained by other in game methods - some will say that they stack but I doubt (my speculation based on GW1 systems) there isnt a hard cap and one can obtain what is needed to open the chests in game.

    There is end game - anyone that has played the game for more than a few levels know the AI fights better at higher levels - they kite you they CC you, they combine effects, etc.

    Anyone that played more than a few levels know the damn AI keeps conquering the outposts and waypoints. I can just imagine when you are in a full hostile place like Orr, filled with smart AI, entrenched there...

     

     

    Go easy on the caffeine first of all and 2nd I couldn't care less if you like Themepark MMO's or not, I just stated it was another Themepark mmo. I didn't mean anything derogatory but apparently you took offense for some reason.

    I just asked if being a theme park is a problem,

    Is asking a question being offended?

    So what does this mean ",,,, call a success, however we are getting another theme park MMO"?

     

     

    Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,515
    Originally posted by BilboDoggins

    Months ago before I started ebta testing this game I was very excited. I had bought into the hype that GW2 was the future and was gonna do things differently but after all the beta testing I finally had to be honest with myself about the game. The truth is that GW2 is basically more of the same with a few differences.

    1. No raids- ANet removed raids because they know that their PVE system is to simple and casual to support complex and difficult raiding. Raids like everything else in GW2 (like pvp) are nothing but a button mashing zergfest. Having raids would have made this all the more obvious.

    2. No sub fee but cash shop oreiented which borders on P2W- One of GW2 's big selling points is that it has no sub-fee. This is a good thing but in all honesty they HAD to do this since GW2 simply doesnt have the content to justify paying a monthly sub. So instead ANet added a cash shop which gives rewards as good as the best stuff you can find in game and other things which makes it arguably Pay 2 win. And even if its not P2W at launch its obvious to anyone who is familiar with MMO's that it will end up that way.

    3. Pointless zerg pvp- PvP is supposed to be the strength of GW2 but in reality it is extremely shallow. PvP basically consists of running around in zergs and punching gates for hours on end for no reason.  There is no actual purpose to GW2 pvp. No ladders, rankings, and no way to build a rep because you are given a generic name so nobody knows who you are.

    4. No endgame- GW2 endgame= the same stuff you were doing since level one since "everything is endgame". Once you hit 80 there is nothing to do which provides actual character progression anymore.

    I really wanted this game to succeed and be great but I cant lie to myself. The fact is that GW2 is shallow and generic. Its more elves and orcs fantasy that we have seen a million times. GW2 is really just WoW minus raids and sub fees. Luckily TSW's excellent stories and atmosphere which is unique and difficult will be able to tide me over until Planetside 2 launches which will be the next big MMO that revolutionizes the genre.

    Could you post some Vids or Screens of you at level 80 and the experience you had that made you come to those conclusions and speculations?

    ...I'll wait....Hmmm, don't think I'll get the right answer..oh well...

    See you in GW2. :)

    Edit: LOL..I tried that game, glad I didnt buy it. It's actually a different type of MMO. Has nothing to do with the Fantasy/Medevil setting. You may just be burned out on Fantasy/Medevil MMOs and found it appropriate to try to get a last /comfort from us?

    "My Fantasy is having two men at once...

    One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

    ---------------------------

    "A good man can make you feel sexy,

    strong and able to take on the whole world...

    oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."





  • NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by HeWhoKnocks
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5081999

    This guy has a point, why are you still here, bilbodoggins?

    The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

  • FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Slampig
     

    [mod edit]

     Or maybe the "Zealots" just get tired of certain people posting rants about a game they have already stated they don't care for for the purpose of trolling and not discussion. Also those same people may get warnings if they call said person out without actually contributing to the topic even if it is a bait thread. I can attest to being warned for calling out but I usually get by as long as I try to answer the topic . So I can see why instead of just pointing out the obviouse based on post histories, people actually try to make the thread somewaht infomative by pointing out the fallacies. If that makes them (us?) zealots then so be it. If you read the thread then you would see that a majority of responses are in regaurds to the OP's past opinions making it impossible to discuss the present further, not actually about his rant, which is misguiding and incorrect as others have stated or tried to.

    RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,515
    Originally posted by Nightgroper
    Originally posted by HeWhoKnocks
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5081999

    This guy has a point, why are you still here, bilbodoggins?

    Nice find. He seems to want recognition for being a GW2 hater? He should just move on and let us have our game while he plays his.

    "My Fantasy is having two men at once...

    One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

    ---------------------------

    "A good man can make you feel sexy,

    strong and able to take on the whole world...

    oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."





  • k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Guild wars 2 has to be the most trolled mmo to date, i don't understand it because it's a solid game.

    Because it is a solid game, and therefore threatens the integrity of certains guilds/groups in certain other mmos.

    Look at this comment on Arena Junkies news :

    "already cant find partners, no one go to gw2 thx "

    (http://www.arenajunkies.com/news/509-guild-wars-2-now-featured-on-arena-junkies/)

    ***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

  • otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by BilboDoggins

    Months ago before I started ebta testing this game I was very excited. I had bought into the hype that GW2 was the future and was gonna do things differently but after all the beta testing I finally had to be honest with myself about the game. The truth is that GW2 is basically more of the same with a few differences.

    1. No raids- ANet removed raids because they know that their PVE system is to simple and casual to support complex and difficult raiding. Raids like everything else in GW2 (like pvp) are nothing but a button mashing zergfest. Having raids would have made this all the more obvious.

    2. No sub fee but cash shop oreiented which borders on P2W- One of GW2 's big selling points is that it has no sub-fee. This is a good thing but in all honesty they HAD to do this since GW2 simply doesnt have the content to justify paying a monthly sub. So instead ANet added a cash shop which gives rewards as good as the best stuff you can find in game and other things which makes it arguably Pay 2 win. And even if its not P2W at launch its obvious to anyone who is familiar with MMO's that it will end up that way.

    3. Pointless zerg pvp- PvP is supposed to be the strength of GW2 but in reality it is extremely shallow. PvP basically consists of running around in zergs and punching gates for hours on end for no reason.  There is no actual purpose to GW2 pvp. No ladders, rankings, and no way to build a rep because you are given a generic name so nobody knows who you are.

    4. No endgame- GW2 endgame= the same stuff you were doing since level one since "everything is endgame". Once you hit 80 there is nothing to do which provides actual character progression anymore.

    I really wanted this game to succeed and be great but I cant lie to myself. The fact is that GW2 is shallow and generic. Its more elves and orcs fantasy that we have seen a million times. GW2 is really just WoW minus raids and sub fees. Luckily TSW's excellent stories and atmosphere which is unique and difficult will be able to tide me over until Planetside 2 launches which will be the next big MMO that revolutionizes the genre.

    OP I cannot agree with point 2 but 1,3,4 are valid. 

    Personally I will still buy GW2 because I never liked raids and IMO leveling from 1 to 80 alone will be worth the 60 bucks (and who knows, maybe in the future they'll get PvP right as well)

  • ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    The PvP in GW2 looks almost exactly like the PvP in WAR, which is to say it's a  keep-trading zerg-fest (one that I actually enjoyed for a time, to be honest). I have NOT played the game however, so I cannot say this for sure, but it REALLY looks like it from every video I have seen. WAR was incredibly hyped before launch as well, so I will be interested to see how this turns out.
  • MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Psychow

    The fact there are 6 pages in a thread where ONE GUY decides to cancel his pre-order is just crazy.  It's almost like GW2 has spawned a fanatic, zelot crazy cult..."someone's leaving? GET HIM BEFORE HE ESCAPES!!!"

     

     I think it's more like "oh well" to "YAY!!!" coupled with, "btw, you're full of crap."

This discussion has been closed.