Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ranger Pets

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    The pet system in GW2 is really weak. I rolled a ranger and I just couldn't get into it. It didn't feel like a ranger or even a hunter for that matter.

Yes. I totally agree. Some changes need to be done to pets. I like the ranger itself, it's the pets skills or lack of that I don't like... especially their survivability. Maybe I'm just playing them wrong... my pets are using downed even by a single mob.  I'm having second thoughts about playing a ranger now.....

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by FlawSGI
    Originally posted by cronius77
    i personally wish less people would roll rangers , there is way to many of them out in world vs world running around heh. The pets are fine in gank situations though just not in pve or zerges.

This has been my only problem with pets. it has nothing to d with how they work or their survivability, more to do with those that leave them dead and I have to try to rez players without the dead pets getting in the way. Hence why I try to inform as many ranger in game about how to keep your pets alive at almost all times via swapping. Really annoying when I find myself rezing a pet in the heat of a battle.

it also gets in the way big time in the heat of battle especially if you have an almost wipe in front of a keep and the enemy is about to come out and finish the clean up. Worst damn thing in the world is thinking you are getting up a player and then see its a pet your working on . I REALLY wish they would add a different color revive icon next to pets.

• There is a huge difference between species of pets.  Sending in a DPS pet and having it tank will often get it killed. That is because its a DPS pet.

A Black bear has the following defensives:

1) a skill that heal itself

2) a skill that causes it to take no damage for 3 seconds

3) a aoe skill that puts weakness on all mobs areound in causing 50% of hits to do 25-50% damage for 10 seconds

A jungle stalker has the following defenisve skills:

nothing

As you can see the difference is rather dramatic.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    i personally wish less people would roll rangers , there is way to many of them out in world vs world running around heh. The pets are fine in gank situations though just not in pve or zerges.

This has been my only problem with pets. it has nothing to d with how they work or their survivability, more to do with those that leave them dead and I have to try to rez players without the dead pets getting in the way. Hence why I try to inform as many ranger in game about how to keep your pets alive at almost all times via swapping. Really annoying when I find myself rezing a pet in the heat of a battle.

More people need to start using ranged pets for WvWvW instead of always using melee ones. They die less cos they don't just run into the middle of the enemy zerg all the time. Plus you can pretty much ignore what they are doing. Trying to manage your melee pet's actions in a WvW zerg whilst controlling yourself as well is close to impossible.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

The little bit of ranger I did try, I had a pet for events/bosses, one that I could summon, set on passive and his ability was an AOE buff I would just fire off every cool down.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Ranger pets aren't viable tanks in PVE?  That's a little disappointing.  I prefer to sit back and pew pew while my pet tanks.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i found the spider to be one of my favorites for ganking when i play my ranger , the entangle is extra c/c and so helpful but I see what you mean if they just used ranged then its less time micro managing them.
  • FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

it also gets in the way big time in the heat of battle especially if you have an almost wipe in front of a keep and the enemy is about to come out and finish the clean up. Worst damn thing in the world is thinking you are getting up a player and then see its a pet your working on . I REALLY wish they would add a different color revive icon next to pets.

I agree that they need to have a different indicator. I personally don't understand why other players should have  the option to rez  another players pets because it forces us to suffer because a ranger can't keep his pet up. Sure it seems nice to be able to rez a pet but in all honesty a single click on the rangers end and like magic a full health pet is out and back in the combat. By allowing other to rez them it has been more of a pain than a help and the time lost on players trying to rez a pet is way more valuable than the pet itself.  Rangers get on just fine without needing the pet to do their damage so as not to be a crutch and more of a utility. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

Originally posted by Vannor

More people need to start using ranged pets for WvWvW instead of always using melee ones. They die less cos they don't just run into the middle of the enemy zerg all the time. Plus you can pretty much ignore what they are doing. Trying to manage your melee pet's actions in a WvW zerg is close to impossible.

I can't speak on this because I haven't touched WvW yet. That sounds like a whole nother learning curve in and of itself. Since I learned about the pet swapping mechanic Iranger has taken off for me and I have really enjoyed it. I have made it a mission to nab variouse pets and try them out and the pets are really different so I am sure you are correct on the range vs melee thing. 

• Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207

Lots of rangers run around with dead pets because they don't swap them when they can or don't have another pet to swap with.

Pets are not supposed to be as tough as players or even the ranger himself. They arn't for tanking, they are an extra mechanic with skills that need to be considered in a Ranger's build. Rangers are far from being squishy and if someone can't survive when their pet is dead then they really need to reassess their combat style.

Bingo!! I have commented on this in the past as well as the official thread and some just don't get it. Not to insult intelligence but instead of crying fix, maybe learn to play. Sorry if that comes across as harsh because it isn't meant to. The pet system I found was good althoguh I am only 22 on my highest ranger. Pet swapping is what it is all about and if you seee a crap ton of dead pets, almost assume they were huntards at some point and haven't figured it out yet. Just be polite like I have and tell them to make sure they swap pets for the free rez and watch the light click on.  I get a lot of thank yous for something so simple.

I don't think you're being harsh but you're preachin' to the choir with me. I understand the swap mechanic well and use it just as well. You're right that a lot of others probably don't understand or don't even know about the swap pet mechanic. I don't believe I've cried for a fix in this thread but rather some TLC to the ranger pets and their survivability.

Let's take the tank pets out of the equation and look at the DPS/Utility pets such as the Fern Hound. The fern hound is a really cool looking pet and has a useful knockdown skill, but at lower levels (10-15) they're really, really soft in a fight. In WoW, AoE damage is almost non existent to pets in PvE. I'd just like to see that kind of thoughtfulness to the pets in GW 2. It shouldn't apply in PvP because that'd just be way too over powered. Am I making sense? lol...

Swapping pets gives you a new one with 100% hp. If you swap back later, your original pet will be at full HP again. This sounds like the thing to do. I'm still learning the profession. Sounds like it depends on what pet you have also.  Is there a Mend Pet in ranger skills (not revive)??

Originally posted by enoch420

Lots of rangers run around with dead pets because they don't swap them when they can or don't have another pet to swap with.

Pets are not supposed to be as tough as players or even the ranger himself. They arn't for tanking, they are an extra mechanic with skills that need to be considered in a Ranger's build. Rangers are far from being squishy and if someone can't survive when their pet is dead then they really need to reassess their combat style.

Bingo!! I have commented on this in the past as well as the official thread and some just don't get it. Not to insult intelligence but instead of crying fix, maybe learn to play. Sorry if that comes across as harsh because it isn't meant to. The pet system I found was good althoguh I am only 22 on my highest ranger. Pet swapping is what it is all about and if you seee a crap ton of dead pets, almost assume they were huntards at some point and haven't figured it out yet. Just be polite like I have and tell them to make sure they swap pets for the free rez and watch the light click on.  I get a lot of thank yous for something so simple.

I don't think you're being harsh but you're preachin' to the choir with me. I understand the swap mechanic well and use it just as well. You're right that a lot of others probably don't understand or don't even know about the swap pet mechanic. I don't believe I've cried for a fix in this thread but rather some TLC to the ranger pets and their survivability.

Let's take the tank pets out of the equation and look at the DPS/Utility pets such as the Fern Hound. The fern hound is a really cool looking pet and has a useful knockdown skill, but at lower levels (10-15) they're really, really soft in a fight. In WoW, AoE damage is almost non existent to pets in PvE. I'd just like to see that kind of thoughtfulness to the pets in GW 2. It shouldn't apply in PvP because that'd just be way too over powered. Am I making sense? lol...

Yeah on the DE's, some of the aoe is pretty rough so I feel you on that regard and I wasn't speaking to any one person in particular. I agree that the health seems a little low when you look at it from that perspective alone, but pets are going to die... a lot. The swap cures it especially if you watch and swap before the pet dies so your swap CD is short. But in a game where a DE boss can almost, if not, one shot you for bad play I don't feel there is a problem. My pets die but I get on fine without them if I am in a situation where I can't bring them back immidiately and I am glad the GW ranger isn't dependant on the pet. I don't disagree with you man, I just try to play the ranger the way it was designed for GW and not try to play it like other ranger type with pets in other games we need not mention. But I do see your point and I don't know if that changes further in because I am only int he low 20's.

Originally posted by Tokken
    Swapping pets gives you a new one with 100% hp. If you swap back later, your original pet will be at full HP again. This sounds like the thing to do. I'm still learning the profession. Sounds like it depends on what pet you have also.  Is there a Mend Pet in ranger skills (not revive)??

Yep. The only downside is that if you let your pet die, the CD is longer on the pet swap while in combat. But yes, if it does die, pet swap will bring in your second pet and when the CD is up your origional comes back at full health when swapped in. Keep in mind that your ranger heal also heals pets. 

• Originally posted by vigg2004
    Ranger pets aren't viable tanks in PVE?  That's a little disappointing.  I prefer to sit back and pew pew while my pet tanks.

If you use two bears its quite viable actually.

Originally posted by gestalt11
    Originally posted by vigg2004

If you use two bears its quite viable actually.

Hell, my moa bird heals himself so I think hes pretty tanky so far.

• Originally posted by Vannor

More people need to start using ranged pets for WvWvW instead of always using melee ones. They die less cos they don't just run into the middle of the enemy zerg all the time. Plus you can pretty much ignore what they are doing. Trying to manage your melee pet's actions in a WvW zerg whilst controlling yourself as well is close to impossible.

Actually certain melee pets are very nice to have in WvW, but you might want to keep them on peaceful.  The brown has an AoE condition removal you can trigger.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I really wanted to like the ranger, but their pets die way too fast.  It's not even worth rezzing them during a fight.  They need to be buffed.
  • DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    Originally posted by yaoming36

Hi I'm ranger level 25. In most fights, my pet is pretty decent tanker.

I have 2 signets on, one which increases the defence of pet and myself

And another which provides regenaration of myself and pet. Both of these are passive. Usually in any DE, my pet can survive  quiet easily with the help of my heal. 

The only place my pet ever dies is when we're taking on a boss or so and even then I can usually avoid death by simply pressing F3.

Pro Tip: Swap out pets right when one pet has about 10% hp left. That way your cooldown for bringing the initial pet back into fight is 20 seconds as opposed to 60 seconds if you let it die first. 

I feel many people don't use the swap function often. Swapping pets is crutial and another form of strategy to the ranger. Here are some reasons below.

- Full health upon swapping.

- Downed pets can't be swapped in or out and they'll be fully revived. 

- Allows to pull your pet out of damage AoEs instantly. 

Yep, level 32 on my Ranger and I played it pretty similar to you. Knowing when to swap pets and also using your pets special ability is key.

If you play the Ranger with the pet as a fire and forget part of the class then yeah, you are going to struggle with them.

• MercAngelMercAngel Member Posts: 204

i do not think there is any thing wrong with the pets.

the pets are just like any other char stop and think if you as a ranger can not go toe to toe with a mob what makes you think your pet can. what do you do if you are getting beat down you back off and heal yourself. well your are in control of you pet if it start to get beat down you have to call it back.

I guess really all I'd like to see is a way to make pets more self sufficient and an option to make pet special abilities auto cast. I'm not a fan of micro management in any form. 
  • Me I keep trying other stuff and every single time come back to ranger.

Lots of great advice already in this thread - here's my 2 cents worth:

1.  If you don't want to run with a pet (some folks don't want them at all) - roll a Warrior (Long Bow & Rifle) or Thief  (Short  Bow and Pistols) - they have great ranged skills.

2.  If you are a new ranger head to Norn land right after tutorial - Polar bear available in Hoelbrak (Norn city) and another Brown bear in Wayfarer Hills (Norn starter area).  Both easily charmed at level 2.  Even if you don't want to use bears in your 'real' build in the beginning before you can put any points in the Beastmaster trait line they are the most survivable.  Also FYI there are a lot of other animals available for taming in these areas.

3.  Have 2 pets slotted for land, and 2 pets slotted for water - never know when that cute jelly fish you picked up in Lion's Arch will come in handy.  Note that some pets like bears are amphibious (can fill both land and water slots).

4.  From my experience by level 16 with 5 points in Beastmaster my pets were all very survivable.

5.  WvW is easier with ranged pets especially when masses are fighting.

6.  Swap pets before they die.

7.  Pay attention to each pets default (non controllable) abilities.  Many have self heals and  Moa's can AOE heal.  One of the previous posters pointed out that the reason bears survive better is that they have a self heal ability and an immune ability.  They really do use these abilities.  I think there's a tendency to just look at the controllable ability (f2) without looking at the whole package.

8.  If you are fighting at ranged and your pet is in the thick of things don't hold back on healing.  Heal as One refreshes fairly quickly and as long as your pet is up close to the mob the mob isn't running after you.  I think folks hold back on using their heals thinking that they are emergency skills - if you have a true emergency you better be already running away.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by MercAngel

i do not think there is any thing wrong with the pets.

the pets are just like any other char stop and think if you as a ranger can not go toe to toe with a mob what makes you think your pet can. what do you do if you are getting beat down you back off and heal yourself. well your are in control of you pet if it start to get beat down you have to call it back.

Very true. I see far to many people leave there pet of the leash the whole time and wonder why it keeps getting killed.

Originally posted by Delvie

Me I keep trying other stuff and every single time come back to ranger.

1.  If you don't want to run with a pet (some folks don't want them at all) - roll a Warrior (Long Bow & Rifle) or Thief  (Short  Bow and Pistols) - they have great ranged skills.

2.  If you are a new ranger head to Norn land right after tutorial - Polar bear available in Hoelbrak (Norn city) and another Brown bear in Wayfarer Hills (Norn starter area).  Both easily charmed at level 2.  Even if you don't want to use bears in your 'real' build in the beginning before you can put any points in the Beastmaster trait line they are the most survivable.  Also FYI there are a lot of other animals available for taming in these areas.

3.  Have 2 pets slotted for land, and 2 pets slotted for water - never know when that cute jelly fish you picked up in Lion's Arch will come in handy.  Note that some pets like bears are amphibious (can fill both land and water slots).

4.  From my experience by level 16 with 5 points in Beastmaster my pets were all very survivable.

7.  Pay attention to each pets default (non controllable) abilities.  Many have self heals and  Moa's can AOE heal.  One of the previous posters pointed out that the reason bears survive better is that they have a self heal ability and an immune ability.  They really do use these abilities.  I think there's a tendency to just look at the controllable ability (f2) without looking at the whole package.

8.  If you are fighting at ranged and your pet is in the thick of things don't hold back on healing.  Heal as One refreshes fairly quickly and as long as your pet is up close to the mob the mob isn't running after you.  I think folks hold back on using their heals thinking that they are emergency skills - if you have a true emergency you better be already running away.

Regarding #7. Are those pets skills in healing autocasts or is it something we need to trigger?

It would be nice though if pets were more self sufficient (autocasts)

Thanks for the good advice.

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Tokken
    Originally posted by Delvie

Me I keep trying other stuff and every single time come back to ranger.

Regarding #7. Are those pets skills in healing autocasts or is it something we need to trigger?

It would be nice though if pets were more self sufficient (autocasts)

Thanks for the good advice.

Here is how pet skills work. All pets have 4 skills, 3 of these skills are species specific, such as all birds will have 3 same skills and they are cast automatically. The 4th skill is different for every pet and must be triggered by player by pressing F2.

Their fixed set of skills and abilities are based upon their family and species. Each family has three basic skills that define that family. These skills are automatically used by the pet. In addition to these family-based skills, each species within a family has a species-specific skill which can be activated by the ranger by utilizing F2.

Some pets have a heal on F2 (slyvari starting wolf - forgot name) so you just press F2 for the heal to take effect. Some pets like the moa have a heal in one of three auto casting ones. 

Example: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Juvenile_Black_Moa

Notice the "Common to the moa family" So all moas have those 3 skills and the 4th one is unique only to the black moa.

I know bears have the ability to gain regeneration, but I'd like to see that skill on all pets, not just the bear. 

A passive pet skill like this http://www.wowhead.com/spell=53187 on all pets would be excellent.