Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How the Gem exchange system really works

TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

The Gem/Gold Exchange System

In the past month I've had to explain exactly how the gem and gold exchange system works a number of times on these forums. It seems a lot of people have misunderstood what will be going on. So I thought I'd explain it here to hopefully clear up some of the confusion. If you have proof that anything I'm saying is incorrect then let me know and I'll change it. If I am wrong, I'm the first person that wants to know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. Do we sell gems or gold to other players directly?

A. No, we do not sell gems or gold to other players directly. ArenaNet are the ONLY supplier for gems and gold exchanges. Whether you are buying gems with gold, buying gems with real money or buying gold with gems it all comes from ArenaNet.

Q. Can we create trade orders for gems or gold?

A. No, we can not ask to do or even do gems and gold exchanges with other players at prices we choose ourselves.

Q. Can we trade/give gems to other players?

A. No, you can not trade/give gems tied to your account to other players. However, when purchasing gems with real money you have the option to 'gift' them to another account.

Q. Is there a list of exchange rates/prices to choose from?

A. No, the exchange rate is automatic and there is only one given rate for each type of exchange at any one time. We will not see a list of gems or gold that we can buy. All we will see is a panel similar to this:

*This is just an example image from a beta weekend and the market data shown here should not be considered as a post launch example of exchange rates.

You enter how many gems or how much gold you want to exchange and are told how much you will get in exchange based on the current rates. Underneath you can see market data, which is purely for analytical purposes.

It is up to you whether or not you choose to accept that rate or see if the rate will be better or worse at another time.

Q. Do I have to wait for someone to buy my gold or gems? 

A. No, you don't have to wait for someone to buy your gold or gems because you are not exchanging them with other players, you are exchanging with ArenaNet. When you press the trade button the exchange happens immediately, everytime.

Q. How is the exchange rate/price determined?

A. We get a predetermined exchange rate based on an automatic push and pull demand system. We have no direct control over the prices.

What this means is if more exchange:

• Gems for gold: Gem cost goes down and gold cost goes up.
  • Gold for gems: Gold cost goes down and gem cost goes up.
Whether the exchange rate is affected by players buying gems with real money, by exchanging gems and gold or by both isn't confirmed.

It is currently assumed that it is only the gems and gold exchanges that affect the exchange rate/price and not the gems bought with real money sales.

Q. Are the current exchange rates the same across all servers?

A. Yes, the marketplace will be global and draws data from all servers.

Q. Is there a currency exchange rate fee?

A. Yes, there is a currency exchange rate fee. The exact amount or percentage is not confirmed. The gem and gold exchange rates are not a mirror. If you exchanged 100 gems for gold and then immediately exchanged the same amount of gold you got, you will get less than 100 gems back.

Q. Will we ever be unable to exchange gems for gold and vice versa?

A. There is no evidence or official comments suggesting that we will ever see a "No gems available" or "No gold available" screen. There isn't any information suggesting that we won't either. From what we've seen and heard that situation does not exist, but it might.

In other words, we might always be able to exchange gold for gems even if no players have been exchanging gems for gold and vice versa. We don't know yet.

In even simpler terms, ArenaNet have never said that in order to do an exchange others needs to have done opposite exchanges first to cover the amount; what you spend could disappear, what you buy could be newly created.

Q. What does this all mean?

A. In an ideal situation, there will be an equal amount of players buying and selling gems so that exchange rates stay even. What will really happen to the exchange rate long term is yet to be seen and it may change by large amounts frequently. One day it could be in favor of gem buyers and another day it could be in favor of gem sellers.

It also means that for those who don't want to spend real money to get gems, those players who 'are' buying gems with real money and exchanging them will actually lower the exchange rate for those who don't, making it cheaper to buy gems with gold. But, if lots of players start taking advantage of this, the exchange rate for buying gems with gold will get worse again, which will result in gem 'sellers' getting more gold for their gems again. It will continue like this indefinately and will constantly be changing.

Q. Is it possible to make a profit on gems or gold using only this system?

A. In theory it is possible to make a profit using the exchange system by paying attention to the market data provided, yes.

For example, if one day gems are selling for less you could buy lots of them and wait until a day where gold is selling for less than you exchanged the gems for and get more gold in return.

How often this sort of change in the exchange rates will occur depends on the community's actions with the exchange system.

Q. Are there safe guards so that the exchange rates don't get rediculously high or low?

A. It hasn't been confirmed but it is assumed that ArenaNet have considered this as a possibility and have done something, or will do something, to avoid it. 

Q. Is the price for buying gems with real money affected by any of this?

A. No, the price for buying gems with real money is determined by ArenaNet/NCSoft and is not affected by the exchange system.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to:

Nadia, for the global exchange rate info.

Gaia_Hunter, for the currency exchange rate fee info.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Comments

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Very nice post Vannor. This should dispel a lot of misinformation, assuming people will take their time to read your post. : P

• teotiusteotius Member UncommonPosts: 100
    cool story... inc flametrain
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

If that is the case, no will ever sell gems, ever.

Because pre-set rates will never satisfy a player trading "RL-cash" for ingame economy, specially if the rates start as low as that screenshot you got on the post :)

(i don't see myself ever selling 100gems for anything less than 10g) :D

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Fusion
    If that is the case, no will ever sell gems, ever.Because pre-set rates will never satisfy a player trading "RL-cash" for ingame economy, specially if the rates start as low as that screenshot you got on the post :)

In the previous BWEs the price was around 11 silver for 100 gems.

• MangaMaidenMangaMaiden Member Posts: 180

image Job well done :3 Now hopefully people will understand the system a bit more now instead of creating those silly 'P2W threads'! *noms on shiny gems* image

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by teotius
    cool story... inc flametrain

no story... facts.

But I agree on the flametrain part

@OP: very nice explanation, thanks for that.

I also had to explain this quite a few times, but stopped caring to put any effort into trying to explain it to strangers on the interwebz.

Originally posted by Alot

Because pre-set rates will never satisfy a player trading "RL-cash" for ingame economy, specially if the rates start as low as that screenshot you got on the post :)

In the previous BWEs the price was around 11 silver for 100 gems.

Even less reason to sell gems (ps. and the market was "high" in BWE's because the gems really cost you nothing, even BWE3 gems, you get refunded)

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

lol, the screenshot is just an example from one of the beta weekends. I'll add a note that the rates in that image should not be taken seriously.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    That's some useful info, I never knew all that.
    Originally posted by Vannor

lol, the screenshot is just an example from one of the beta weekends. I'll add a note that the rates in that image should not be taken seriously.

That'll help lessen troublesome posts like mine :)

But im still sceptical about the rates handled by Anet, how high will the prices go before someone actually decides to sell his gems.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

A. We get a predetermined exchange rate based on an automatic push and pull demand system. We have no direct control over the prices.

worth noting the marketplace is Global across all servers

http://gw2.variance.hu/2011/05/04/variance-guild-wars-2-arenanet-interview/

Is the marketplace going to be global between servers, i.e. drawing data for marketplace prices and selection from multiple servers, or is it going to be local to a specific server?

Eric: The Marketplace will be global, drawing data from all servers.

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
         There is one other detail im curious about. If i buy a ton of gems and my gf decides she needs something from the gem shop and i decide to help her out with my stash of gems, can i mail her the gems she needs?
  • SebberSebber Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by Nailzzz
         There is one other detail im curious about. If i buy a ton of gems and my gf decides she needs something from the gem shop and i decide to help her out with my stash of gems, can i mail her the gems she needs?

There is a gift option in the game, but no you can't send gems to her.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

That'll help lessen troublesome posts like mine :)

But im still sceptical about the rates handled by Anet, how high will the prices go before someone actually decides to sell his gems.

I'd sell my gems just to make a profit off them. I'm actually going to make a second toon just for playing the market. 

That's all he is going to be.

Play the market, buy a small amount of gems to get him started, than play the market, buy low, sell high. If I make money on it, than I'll sell all of it, wait for prices to drop back down to a reasonable rate, buy with everything I have. 

All in all, i'm hoping $10 will fund my little guild. Play the market, amass some wealth, then start using some, and re-investing the other. 

Plus it's kind of fun cause if I get effed it's no big deal haha. It is just a game.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

No.

There is a gift option - notice the gift symbol.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

No, but how ever many she needs, say 200, sell 200 and give her the money immediately, and she can buy those 200 or near to.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

ANet will probably never make it reasonable to buy gems for gold. Generally speaking, time wise, you will always be better off buying gems for money rather than for gold (considering you arent a junkie homie, which you probably arent if you have a pc to play GW2). I doubt it will be a true "market" system. They will control it just like country banks control their currency rate against euro/usd, but with more power, since they control it just by setting a number in a textbox, they dont spend any resources to enfore the control, unlike banks who cant do it forever.

Thanks for info OP. Great post.

Not possible.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Nadia

Is the marketplace going to be global between servers, i.e. drawing data for marketplace prices and selection from multiple servers, or is it going to be local to a specific server?

I've added in that in with a thank you note at the bottom :)

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Thanks for the post Vannor. This should calm people's worries of being able to get eRich from real money.

It's another market for stock broker types to have fun with since, like the items market, it's shared by all servers.
  • NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

No.

Not sure how the gift option works. Is it something i would have to do when i initially buy my own gems or is it a way that i can transfer gems from my account to hers?

Originally posted by Nadia

I've added in that in with a thank you note at the bottom :)

Also to notice is that there is a currency exchange fee - the gem->gold and the gold->gem exhcange rates aren't a mirror, just like in real world currency exchange.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Not sure how the gift option works. Is it something i would have to do when i initially buy my own gems or is it a way that i can transfer gems from my account to hers?

You just pick something from the store with the gift icon, it asks you who you want to gift the item to, you type in their character's name, and they get the item. So you are essentially buying her stuff with your gems.

At least that's how gifting works in other games.

No.

You can buy the item and mail her, just like steam.

That means you can buy her a dye pack with 200 gems, but you cant give her 75 gems to help her buy it herself.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

No.

You can't transfer gems to someone else. From what I understand you can instead "buy" the items she needs with the "gift" option and they will be sent to her instead.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums