Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Player or Seasoned Player of the GW Franchise, What Made You Buy GW2?

MisthawkMisthawk Member UncommonPosts: 63
Like the title states, basically.  What was your driving force to purchase GW2?  If you haven't purchased it, which games do you enjoy during this current time?

Comments

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Been playing GW1 for more than 6 years now and still love it (although, it admittedly pales to me now that I've played its successor).

I think the lore of Guild Wars is great and Arenanet makes great games.  They also know how to treat their customers.  That's a big plus in my book.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Played GW1 for on and off 7 year's, and never had alot of problem's with the game going down and it has gotten updated fairly often. So I had had faith that Anet would take the same care and quality with GW2. And no I don't believe GW2 is the best game evah!!!
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    After reading about it's features I decided it would be worth the box price.
  • MisthawkMisthawk Member UncommonPosts: 63

I'll start.  I enjoyed GW1 for it's unique way in entered the market.  It came at a really interesting time of MMOs, some even stated it was never a true MMO, and I can understand that.  What put me on to wanting to play more, was just the storyline.  I honestly wanted to hurry to the next area to find out what happened next.

That is one of my many reasons for purchasing GW2, I wanted to hear more of the story, lore, and what happened next after GW2 left off.  Some may care only about end game content, gear, PvX, etc.  Mine's always just been about the story, and trying to get involved in it.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    I did my research and partially with Anets reccord with GW1. GW2 for me is the last hope to see if I still have an interest in mmorpgs. The main part being the rpg part. I'll still give mmofps and rts a shot. But GW2 was showing to do just enough diffrent that it will tell me if I'm tired of non sandbox mmorpgs (not tryin to start anything just sayin for me) or if I'm just tired of the rehashed wow formula. If I play it for more than 3 months I'll know I am still interested. If I play it for a month or two and get bored I'll know I'm done with the genra.
    Originally posted by evolver1972

Been playing GW1 for more than 6 years now and still love it (although, it admittedly pales to me now that I've played its successor).

I think the lore of Guild Wars is great and Arenanet makes great games.  They also know how to treat their customers.  That's a big plus in my book.

Yep, I never had any personal beef with Anet, and they always seemed to deliver what they promised.  EotN was the iciing on the cake for me, and when I learned GW2 was in the process of being created, with everything not being instanced, in 2007.  I knew I would be in for a game I knew I would enjoy, 5 years later.

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173

couldn't tolerate Guild Wars 1.

I have a long list of credentials when it comes to the games I've played.

Honestly looked into Guild Wars 2 because of the "Manifesto" and have been researching the game ever since. 

Truth be told because I couldn't stand Guild Wars 1 I nearly and stubbornly walked away from even looking at this game.

"What made me buy Guild Wars2?"

The simple fact that it is simply the best game that I have seen, in this genre, in the past 10 years.  It does not have any glaring problems.   The characters fit with the quality of the world design.  The massive ammount of attention to detail in nearly everything. The fact that ANET has proven to listen to their customers and make changes.  There are many reasons I have now as to why I purchased the game but the best reason of all is:

This game is the first game in nearly 15 years that has brought back a true feeling of exploration and adventure within a game.  I don't have to overlook character and or combat animations or clunky choppy stop and go anchoring combat mechanics and excuse these things because the rest of the game makes it better.

Guild Wars 2 is Revolutionary and I'm glad I didn't walk away from it because of my disinterest of Guild Wars 1.

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Peer pressure from work, I told my friends from work that I just cancelled after what I saw in beta, but they convinced me to pick it up again.

Honestly <to me and my sytle of mmo's> I don't see this title keeping me busy of months of play <but that's just me>. I will try to keep a positive atittude and go with the flow since I am going in with my buddies. The only thing remotely that looks amusing is the WvWvW, but I don't think this part of the game will keep me busy in the long run.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Misthawk
    Like the title states, basically.  What was your driving force to purchase GW2?  If you haven't purchased it, which games do you enjoy during this current time?

Th poll doesnt have near enough answers to vote on but the closest and the one I voted on came across it browsing the interwebz.  Actually I wasn't following the game at all untill 2010 and one of the MMO forums I visted linked the Anets "manefesto".  After that I started doing my research and quickly came to the conclusion this would be my MMO of choice once released.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

From the many comments here on the website. I don't really care about the "hypemeter", though. The comments have led me to look more into the game, which I really did not care about at first. Now I am intrigued by GW2.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• RamadarRamadar Member Posts: 167

Hhhhmmm what made me buyyyy GW 2 now let me think here ...................................................................................................................

.................................................................................................................what made me buy GW 2 hhhmmmmm ............................................

.........................................................................................................................................................................Oh I know.....no that wasn't it ........

.....................................................................................................Oh wait  I bought GW 2 because I figured since I played the shit out of GW that I would buy GW 2 to do the same thing that I did with GW and that way I will have 2 GW games that I have played the shit out of until ANet launches say a Wild West game (idk)

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb....

Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Misthawk

Th poll doesnt have near enough answers to vote on but the closest and the one I voted on came across it browsing the interwebz.  Actually I wasn't following the game at all untill 2010 and one of the MMO forums I visted linked the Anets "manefesto".  After that I started doing my research and quickly came to the conclusion this would be my MMO of choice once released.

I was in the process of entering a few more, but accidentally hit the enter key too soon.

Originally posted by Ramadar

Hhhhmmm what made me buyyyy GW 2 now let me think here ...................................................................................................................

.................................................................................................................what made me buy GW 2 hhhmmmmm ............................................

.........................................................................................................................................................................Oh I know.....no that wasn't it ........

.....................................................................................................Oh wait  I bought GW 2 because I figured since I played the shit out of GW that I would buy GW 2 to do the same thing that I did with GW and that way I will have 2 GW games that I have played the shit out of until ANet launches say a Wild West game (idk)

There was an interesting thread on that, that I was reading yesterday:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/359787/page/1

• PravanaPravana Member Posts: 48

Played GW1 in 2008 with my hubby and I loved it! We found out about GW2 and started making plans to build gaming rigs for it. My hubby was giving it second thoughts until the most recent stress test. He was blown away! He's buying his copy this week :)

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

If 'other' was an option, i would have selected.

I Pre-purchased GW2 with the early access because I'm MMORPG(less) at the moment. I actually don't think much of it, but there are no MMORPG's on the horizon and GW2 may be my last hurrah at playing the 'type' of games I love. At the very least, I'll get my PvP / WvWvW groove on. I never played GW1 (again, I didn't think much of it) and honestly, If there was a better MMORPG out / coming out, I would probably pick it over GW2. The F2P model is also another huge factor. If GW2 had a monthly payment plan, I wouldn't touch it.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

A hope that the WvW   3 faction conflict would come close to DAOC.

I think GW2  WvW is better than DAOC...so my taking a chance paid off.

• WinterhoundWinterhound Member Posts: 66
    I loved GW1 and wanted a successor to it, but that didn't make me decide on buying GW2, it only helped generate interest in it. I made the buy decision after I saw the videos released on GW2 site.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

This poll doesn't really match up with the title of the OP so I opted not to vote. I can't even remember where I first heard about GW2 it has been so long now. Anyways, I wasn't a fan of GW but after watching several videos sowing varied gameplay I decided it was a game worth purchasing.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Three andy jacksons--trivial risk.

GW1 was well worth that risk...so...yeah.  If gaming companies can ever be trusted to repeat (I know, that's dubious), no actual reason to bet against this one.

It's entertainment budget.  Does not deserve the degree of micro-analysis and fear-mongering this website routinely attaches to it.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.