Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To those who are not buying GW2

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

I can't wait for August 25. and the GW2 early access.

- A 17+ years MMORPG veteran (not counting the MUDs I played before UO beta).

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Kopogero

Yea players are welcome to play GW2. It is great news for the themepark B2P with no monthly fee model.

The main reason thu why we've been stuck for a decade with bizillion of themeparks and only few poorly made sandbox MMORPG is cuz of the huge success of the well known THEMEPARK World of Warcraft.

I would like to see a AAA sandbox MMORPG before I get to see my grand grand grand children one day.

You know, if you had posted this as your Opening Post, instead of the inflammatory one at the front of this thread, there might have been a lot less anger and more civility.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

So your main argument against GW2 is that it doesn't have OWPvP with territory control or market manipulat- I mean a PvP controlled economy?

Good

GW2 PvP does have territory control that is not meant to be hoarded, this comes in the form of keeps in the WvWvW map.  You fight for more than just cosmetic items and ranks:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

I'm glad that you like WoW because AA PvE will be more like it than GW2 I imagine.

Edit: Spoken as a nine year MMO veteran.

"Power of the Mists is awarded to players in PvE and WvW based on the war score of their home world. It include bonuses to health, gathering and crafting among others. A player will receive the bonuses of their home world even when guesting on other worlds."

Gathering and crafting for what oh yes....for cosmetic armor . And the health increase will be used for what? Oh yes for the text title and more cosmetic armors.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Yea players are welcome to play GW2. It is great news for the themepark B2P with no monthly fee model.

The main reason thu why we've been stuck for a decade with bizillion of themeparks and only few poorly made sandbox MMORPG is cuz of the huge success of the well known THEMEPARK World of Warcraft.

I would like to see a AAA sandbox MMORPG before I get to see my grand grand grand children one day.

Which is why we think it's hilarious you would have a problem with GW2, a game that gets away from a lot of the stale things that typical themeparks like WoW have.

Like whatever you want but the comments you've put into this thread make no sense to me.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Tried UO? You know, the one called Ultima Online ^^

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    The fact that you got support/damage/control and how they clearly state it will all be required for successful PvP is a further indication of more rock, paper, scissor PvP that we've been seeing in WOW over the years.

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342
    The fact that you got support/damage/control and how they clearly state it will all be required for successful PvP is a further indication of more rock, paper, scissor PvP that we've been seeing in WOW over the years.

Could you cite your source on that? I don't recall every hearing anything of the sort.

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

Although I am all for an amazing new sandbox I dont see what im looking for anytime soon.. In fact what I am looking for I havent even found one currently in developement.

So forgive me but ide rather pass time on the current titles and get what enjoyment I can out of them.

When they announce the developement of a true sandbox inspired by the Dragonlance Universe and I create my Hoopak wielding Kender in a living, breathing Ansalon then I will finally be satisfied.

Until then tho, I'll enjoy whats available. Someone needs to knock you off that horse..

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Oh the hippocracy. The OP was blocked long ago for baiting but I can't ignore all the replys unfortunately.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

So your main argument against GW2 is that it doesn't have OWPvP with territory control or market manipulat- I mean a PvP controlled economy?

Good

GW2 PvP does have territory control that is not meant to be hoarded, this comes in the form of keeps in the WvWvW map.  You fight for more than just cosmetic items and ranks:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

I'm glad that you like WoW because AA PvE will be more like it than GW2 I imagine.

Edit: Spoken as a nine year MMO veteran.

"Power of the Mists is awarded to players in PvE and WvW based on the war score of their home world. It include bonuses to health, gathering and crafting among others. A player will receive the bonuses of their home world even when guesting on other worlds."

Gathering and crafting for what oh yes....for cosmetic armor . And the health increase will be used for what? Oh yes for the text title and more cosmetic armors.

Cosmetic if you already have level 80 gear since the only change would be stat allocation and looks.  Why are you so against GW2's system of no gear grind if you are such a proponent of sandboxes?  Isn't the ideal sandbox character progression one of skill based?

• KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137
    I know the irony of me posting this considering what im about to say, but if it stops just one other person then I suppose it balances out. This thread is troll bait, and it is now 10 pages long. Every reply is another victory for the OP, especially when you try to be reasonable and rational in your reply. Just let it die.
  • frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Just out of curiousity and as you seem to have some kind of professional experience on the matter, does toilet cleaning really only pays 10 dollars an hour?

Id always thought that any kind of job that implies a sanitary risk gets better wages than that (unions tend to insist on that point) even if it doesnt require any specific professional qualification.

If they are paying you that amount, they are probably ripping you. You should contact your union representative.

• friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118

I love how all the "MMO veterans" pompusly assume a status of authritah on these here forums. Yet still they MMO locust their way from title to title cause they can't help getting swept up in hype when release day comes. Until then, they're totes never touching another themepark!

lol but seriously, you're right about one thing;  themepark MMOs are categorically inferior to sandboxes. And yes, if ArcheAge comes to fruition it will be a better MMO than games like GW2. But let's be honest, sandboxes have their own problems. Namely too much grind, lame ganking and completely vertical character progression combat-wise.

I switched from a sanbox game called Runescape to GW1 several years ago and I think Anet's design philosophy for their games is worth the loss of some freedoms. Barely but still.

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342
    Originally posted by KnaveSkye
    I know the irony of me posting this considering what im about to say, but if it stops just one other person then I suppose it balances out. This thread is troll bait, and it is now 10 pages long. Every reply is another victory for the OP, especially when you try to be reasonable and rational in your reply. Just let it die.

Unless the majority of posters know its a bait, and are entertaining themselves by egging him on.......

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205

Actually....during BWE2 me and 4 friends went into a dungeon all as control and did not fail...or fully wipe. and we were running around (away from the zergs) like this in WwW and taking out/over strategic items to help our larger groups of players win. Not to mention the fact that we were in CD server, and were always WAY ahead of the other two servers, even though they had larger zergs than us and actualy ended up teaming up against us in a huge zerg at one point....because *drum roll* STRATEGY TRIUMPHS. We took out other keeps in smaller groups all around the map, and so when they took 1 keep/post/whatever of ours, we took 2..3...or 4 of their keeps/posts/whatever :)

Play the game before you judge.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill

If a man insists fervently enough that Pi is 3.2, it must be so.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• unknown769unknown769 Member Posts: 45
    lol the forum cant allow more report for him cause if not the server will crash. still dont waste time asnwer to people like that .
    Originally posted by Purgatus

Unless the majority of posters know its a bait, and are entertaining themselves by egging him on.......

Once the OP stops responding to reasonable questions I'll stop.  Even if he is trolling at least he is being honest... enough... I think.  It's entertaining enough.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

So it's not ok for the rest of us to play themeparks but it's ok for you?  A bit of a hypocritical statement, methinks.

• KrossliteKrosslite Member Posts: 317

Spoken by a 11 year+ MMORPG veteran.

Peace out~

I am a veteran of  18 years. Been in multiple betas and launches of MMOs. To date GW2 is the best I have seen.

You need to get more experience

A MMO is like life. It is something to cherish and enjoy upon in it journey. So why race to the end of it. In life at the end you die.

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by Aelious

Once the OP stops responding reasonable questions I'll stop.  Even if he is trolling at least he is being honest... enough... I think.  It's entertaining enough.

That it is! Good News! (everyone) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D1cap6yETA

or more fittingly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwKCTSMf5mg

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Originally posted by Aelious

Once the OP stops responding to reasonable questions I'll stop.  Even if he is trolling at least he is being honest... enough... I think.  It's entertaining enough.

Trolls trolling trolls... TROLL PARTY!image

• Spartan212Spartan212 Member Posts: 55

Spoken by an 11 year old.

Peace out~

That's how I read it the first time

That is how I will continue to read it

GTFO

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by swordmark45
    Originally posted by Kopogero     Spoken by a 11 year+ MMORPG veteran. Peace out~
    I am a veteran of  18 years. Been in multiple betas and launches of MMOs. To date GW2 is the best I have seen.

If this is the best you have seen, you might need more gaming experience. Its all relative anyway.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by swordmark45
    Originally posted by Kopogero     Spoken by a 11 year+ MMORPG veteran. Peace out~

If this is the best you have seen, you might need more gaming experience. Its all relative anyway.

Agreed
This discussion has been closed.