Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did GW2 just surge 33% in popularity overnight?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by toddze
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

which it has just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.. but that's another discussion. I have been around MMOs since it all started and played every AAA release till now, I feel I have got a decent grasp of the types of games that will be in it for the long haul.

oh really? Being that you played every AAA game I question your experience in really knowing what keeps you in it for the "long haul", since you mmo hop around so frequent. So it would seem nothing keeps you in a game for the "long haul". But then again you and I may have different definition of "long haul"  

for me long haul is a game with enough to do and enough unique content that I will stick around for a good amount of time (6 months +). Obviously this is very subjective to each person but so far over the past 15+ years playing these types of games(and I guess longer if you include all the MUDs I used to play and host) I have seen what the majorty of people seem to enjoy and the trend that has happened over the years since wow. GW2 has what it takes to be the next big MMO like it or not it does.. this is something I have not said since warcraft.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Zooce

Looks like hit spammer manipulation imo.  GW2 has been about twice as popular as TSW and SWTOR for the past month, but last night (and much more noticable today) seems to be unbelievably popular.

Is there a rational explanation for this boost in hit traffic, or do you suspect foul play too?

Because it's actually over a 200% increase from the daily average, with no explanation for the difference, I'd say it's pretty clearly manipulation of the hit counter.

It seems to happen over time - they tighten it up, but after a while the hit counter becomes more and more exploitable, until a clear instance of exploitation occurs, then they tighten it up again.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

The problem is, this is why so many people not interested in the game are posting in the GW2 forums

Ever heard the phrase "any publicity is good publicity"?

Every player that comes to bash generates another hundred replying to, cruising through to read, agreeing with, sneering at, or just passing through browsing the dozen brand new threads.

Add in "Cloud" and "Active threads" and any of a half-dozen other features that only multiply the effect of high traffic...yeah.

Normal. 

Plus..this forum's got Kate Upton.  What's them other forums got?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

which it has just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.. but that's another discussion. I have been around MMOs since it all started and played every AAA release till now, I feel I have got a decent grasp of the types of games that will be in it for the long haul.

oh really? Being that you played every AAA game I question your experience in really knowing what keeps you in it for the "long haul", since you mmo hop around so frequent. So it would seem nothing keeps you in a game for the "long haul". But then again you and I may have different definition of "long haul"  

I've been playing AC1 for 5+ years and it wasn't a gear centric game. I've been playing UO for 5+ years (and more if we start during beta 17+ years ago) and it wasn't a gear centric game either. And both games are still alive and kicking as we speak. The fact that I stopped playing them has nothing to do with any gear grind - they just became technologically (engine wise) obsolete for me - yet there are still many people playing them despite that big disadvantage.

So... your point was? How comes those games kept people playing despite a HUGE technological disadvantage AND not having the famous hamster wheel "gear grind" EQ/WoW clone model? Could it be that all you believe to be the only way to make a MMORPG is... wrong? ;-)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Ambros123

And yet GW2 has beated SWTOR on the hype meter here since.... they were ever added on the list?  GW2 will be fine as it delivers what was promised unlike TORtanic where... did they every tell the truth?

Kind of like I am taking a beating now, for my GWII remarks, but like tor, I will be laughing last on GWII, saying "I told you so" ..

Oh boy, I am gonna bookmark this thread and your post and gonna necro it after GW2 glorious success, I hope you will have courage to admit that you were wrong since you clearly have nno clue about MMOs atm.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

It's hilarious that the fans actually think this just happened naturally. Yeah...no.

• indykimbyindykimby Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Looks like hit spammer manipulation imo.  GW2 has been about twice as popular as TSW and SWTOR for the past month, but last night (and much more noticable today) seems to be unbelievably popular.

Is there a rational explanation for this boost in hit traffic, or do you suspect foul play too?

I think people are just chomping at the bit.  The 25th is toooooooooo far away and people are just devouring any and all info GW2 related.

This ^  is exactly what i'm doing lol

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by Grotar89

And yet GW2 has beated SWTOR on the hype meter here since.... they were ever added on the list?  GW2 will be fine as it delivers what was promised unlike TORtanic where... did they every tell the truth?

Kind of like I am taking a beating now, for my GWII remarks, but like tor, I will be laughing last on GWII, saying "I told you so" ..

Oh boy, I am gonna bookmark this thread and your post and gonna necro it after GW2 glorious success, I hope you will have courage to admit that you were wrong since you clearly have nno clue about MMOs atm.

Because you do ?  GW2 will be a good game, but it wont even touch wow numbers.  You know why MOP is coming out a month after GW2 ?  Because most people will be 80 and bored of GW2 by then.   The ones who stick around will enjoy pvp and wvwvw.   Having no monthly sub will help and hurt GW2 population.

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by William12

Because you do ?  GW2 will be a good game, but it wont even touch wow numbers.  You know why MOP is coming out a month after GW2 ?  Because most people will be 80 and bored of GW2 by then.   The ones who stick around will enjoy pvp and wvwvw.   Having no monthly sub will help and hurt GW2 population.

Where did I mention WoW numbers? I really hope it will never reach WoW numbers coz since vanilla and TBC gameplay wise WoW went dowhill quite fast (dummbed down quite hard).... If game delivers what was promised and has healty playerbase then i consider it a success. So far rly few MMOs did it. Also i played GW2 and everything ANet promised is there and its quite fun.

Shrug, ask Mike B.  Nobody'll believe the answer, but at least you get it straight from the source.

(Did anybody check the troll activity on WoW General?  Usage spikes...)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by thekid1

90% of the thread activity is in GW2 forums.

Well, considering that more than a few players of other games seem to find it more fun to post here than to participate in the forums of their own game and improve their own community... you have at least a part of the reason of that overwhelming popularity. It seems that even when you don't play it or plan to play it, GW2 is more fun than most other MMOs on the market.

I wish GW2 fans would take your advice on not posting in other games forums.  

Trust me the feeling is mutual. Wish those who disliked the truth of what was posted in other games like SWTOR and TERA would stop coming to this forum and trying to stir up trouble by posting unfounded, factless, nonsense in these forums constantly. Would be nice of the mods would actually shut down many of these nonsense threads that are posing as actual questions when we all know they are here for only one thing, to flame bait.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Did you look first, or just decide to point fingers?    Because I'm thinking that we're 20-days away from one of the most anticipated releases (by MMO gamers) in quite some time.  One that has about 7 million GW1 players as a potential customer base, plus the MMO gaming community at large, to drive interest.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Where did I mention WoW numbers? I really hope it will never reach WoW numbers coz since vanilla and TBC gameplay wise WoW went dowhill quite fast (dummbed down quite hard).... If game delivers what was promised and has healty playerbase then i consider it a success. So far rly few MMOs did it. Also i played GW2 and everything ANet promised is there and its quite fun.

on the contrary we really haven't seen too much of a drop, I'm no blizz fan but let's be real. Let's definitely hope Anet GW2 hits wow numbers because not only will Anet not change their game to suit the masses, they also deserve that much success if not more. If they hit wow's numbers they would blow all these naysayers out of the water all at once, "what's that you say? GW2 is broken too hyped has nothing to offer? Oh is that why it's 10 mil users US now ? Right.... thanks for not playing" hehe

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Shrug, ask Mike B.  Nobody'll believe the answer, but at least you get it straight from the source.

(Did anybody check the troll activity on WoW General?  Usage spikes...)

When this has happened in the past, I've reported it to the tech guys here.  They confirmed that there have been problems in the past which have allowed numbers to become grossly inflated.  This isn't the first time it's happened.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Originally posted by Mephster
    I think your dellusional saying GW2 boosted popularity by 33% without any sort of proof. It is all in your mind.

GW2 has been about twice as popular in recent days as the #2, 3 games.  27/83*100=32.5

Its gone up another 720 hits while I was posting this.

And 40+% of all MMO gamers in the western MMO market play WoW (at least a few months ago).    WoW, in fact, was bigger than the next three MMOs combined.

There is no shennaigans on that...

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by itgrowls

on the contrary we really haven't seen too much of a drop, I'm no blizz fan but let's be real. Let's definitely hope Anet GW2 hits wow numbers because not only will Anet not change their game to suit the masses, they also deserve that much success if not more. If they hit wow's numbers they would blow all these naysayers out of the water all at once, "what's that you say? GW2 is broken too hyped has nothing to offer? Oh is that why it's 10 mil users US now ? Right.... thanks for not playing" hehe

Even if that were to happen (it won't), people would just start using the McDonalds analogy and say, "10 million people go to McDonalds every day, does that mean that their food is good?"

There is no way to get away from a hater no matter how successful a product is. The only thing you can do is watch the stupid and continue to live your life.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Maybe someone popular linked it?
  • Beercan1974Beercan1974 Member Posts: 12

It's close to launch, people are excited.

Originally posted by Rohn
    When this has happened in the past, I've reported it to the tech guys here.  They confirmed that there have been problems in the past which have allowed numbers to become grossly inflated.  This isn't the first time it's happened.

Yah, remember...except that was someone manipulating the ratings votes, wasn't it?

Hits on a hit meter?  Well, maybe if someone's getting paid by the clickthrough.  Seems pointless otherwise.

Look at the front page..

I never seen anything like that before, not with Vanguard, Conan, WAR or Star wars TOR.

GWII doesnt even hold a candle to how popular SWTOR was in november, early december. In general Star Wars fan base is massive. GW is a nich group compared to that. Doesnt matter though both games are woefully dreadfull in their own ways. It just so happens the mmo flavor of the next cople months is GWII, it will fall into MMO oblivion in due time and join TOR.

GW1 sold 7 million copies.   It built a massive fan base.   Plus so many people are so **** sick and tired of WoW and the WoW clones...   

I think it will easily pass SWTOR's box sales in a year.   It will keep players longer because the game isn't nearly as shallow in so many important domains, hence they will be more involved with the game and less likely to quit.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by jusomdude

It's hilarious that a fan actually think this just happened naturally. Yeah...no.

Fix that shit for you.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by MosesZD

Look at the front page..

I never seen anything like that before, not with Vanguard, Conan, WAR or Star wars TOR.

GWII doesnt even hold a candle to how popular SWTOR was in november, early december. In general Star Wars fan base is massive. GW is a nich group compared to that. Doesnt matter though both games are woefully dreadfull in their own ways. It just so happens the mmo flavor of the next cople months is GWII, it will fall into MMO oblivion in due time and join TOR.

GW1 sold 7 million copies.   It built a massive fan base.   Plus so many people are so **** sick and tired of WoW and the WoW clones...   

I think it will easily pass SWTOR's box sales in a year.   It will keep players longer because the game isn't nearly as shallow in so many important domains, hence they will be more involved with the game and less likely to quit.

7 mil is all expansions so individual players would be a good bit less but either way GW1 does have a large fan base and a lot of new comers will try out GW2 because of its b2p appeal not to mention MMO veterans as well. But what I think is going to suprise many people is the lasting appeal of a game like this.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Ehm..no fanboy here I haven't even played  the beta :(

I kept a reasonable eye on the frontpage popularity during SWTOR's release approach and it might have been somewhat more populair (although I think not) saying GW2 populairty doesn't hold a candle to SWTOR's is nonsense.

And you saying GW2 will fall into oblivion confirms you are spouting nonsense on a regular base. Guild Wars 1 was a very popular game, all signs ere there GW2 will be even more popular.

I dont see GW fan fairs all over the US. On the other hand I have seen countless SW fan fairs (not been to one). So again GW does not even in the same ball park as SW, When I say SW, I am not refering to tor, when I refer to TOR i will say TOR or SWTOR. So go re-read my post.

GW2 lacks meaningful end game content to keep people really playing the game period. I have been around this genre long enough to know what keeps people playing. Go enjoy your game but dont come back crying when boredom sets in, because it will.

But they don't, by-and-large all play MMOs, do they?   

GW1 sold 7 million copies to gamers.   Which include Star Wars geeks like me.   Which includes Star Trek geeks like me.  Which includes Dr. Who geeks like me.  Which includes Firefly (very short lived) geeks like me.  Which includes Battlestar Gallactica geeks like me.   And I'm talking since the 1970s on all those but Trek which was the 1960s... (Yeah, I'm 51... )

And so is my wife.   (Plus she likes Torchwood, but I don't.   The actor reminds of someone I went HS with and was a total ***hole.   Every time I see him, I want to punch him out).  But she doesn't game.   At all.  

See being a Trekkie, Whovian, etc., doesn't mean you'll exclude GW1 from gaming.   Conversely, liking those things doesn't mean you'll play the game, or any game.    

So the whole 'convention argument/fanbase argument' is rather suspect.   Especially seeing how many 'franchise' games crash, burned and died because fans know most of them are crappy ripoffs.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Because game ratings on this site have ever had any real merit...
    Originally posted by MosesZD

Look at the front page..

7 mil is all expansions so individual players would be a good bit less but either way GW1 does have a large fan base and a lot of new comers will try out GW2 because of its b2p appeal not to mention MMO veterans as well. But what I think is going to suprise many people is the lasting appeal of a game like this.

No.    I know that some people have made that argument. And, sadly, the meme has stuck. But the meme was a made by people who were being self-serving and deliberately mis-reporting what had happened in order to downgrade the success of GW1 in order to win a dishonest point in a debate by minimizing the accomplishments of GW1 over the past years.   

The financial statements indicate it was SEVEN MILLION ACCOUNTS, not seven million campaigns.  Each account being identified as a unique account holding individual.      They sold far more campaigns than 7 million.   If only because in 2008 they boxed all three and sold about 3 million compelte Guild Wars accounts.

http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/structure.aspx