Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim: Dawnguard - as bad as it sounds, or?

NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

I'm considering buying the newly released PC version of Dawnguard, but when checking different forums around the internet, it really doesn't seem like it's worth it, for at least two reasons:

- It's very short, easy to finish in one afternoon, some claims.

- It's full of bugs, glitches, etc. Claims are that many are gamebreaking, though they doesn't affect everyone.

If any of you bought and played it, please advice. The €20 isn't a problem for me, but if I'll have to spend more time working around bugs, than it takes to complete it, then I'll skip it.

Comments

• notsurenotsure Member Posts: 39
    I know il skip it, 20 $ doesnt seem worth it especially if they havent even squashed the bugs.They did have a full month to work things out and from what i hear theres just as many bug in the xbox ver as this one. Il just wait until modders take the features out of dawnguard and include them into the main game or until its on sale for cheap on steam. 
  • lavosslayerlavosslayer Member Posts: 55

I haven't had a single issue playing it as far as bugs and crashes a re concerned. I"m only halfway through the content and I've been playing for at least 8 hours. Personally I think its worth it. Been having alot of fun with it. The people complaining about it being short must not be doing alot of exploring of the new content and finiding all the hidden secrets tucked in the corners of each zone.

That being said, my advice is to pick this one up ASAP!!!

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by notsure
    I know il skip it, 20 $ doesnt seem worth it especially if they havent even squashed the bugs.They did have a full month to work things out and from what i hear theres just as many bug in the xbox ver as this one. Il just wait until modders take the features out of dawnguard and include them into the main game or until its on sale for cheap on steam. 

Hmm...

Was considering to buy it right now, but I think I'll wait a little. If it seems that the majority of players are affected by major bugs, I'll skip it, at least until the bugs are patched out (if that even happens at all).

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Netspook

I'm considering buying the newly released PC version of Dawnguard, but when checking different forums around the internet, it really doesn't seem like it's worth it, for at least two reasons:

- It's very short, easy to finish in one afternoon, some claims.

- It's full of bugs, glitches, etc. Claims are that many are gamebreaking, though they doesn't affect everyone.

If any of you bought and played it, please advice. The €20 isn't a problem for me, but if I'll have to spend more time working around bugs, than it takes to complete it, then I'll skip it.

Yeah it is pretty much like every single TES download content ever made...short and buggy...and overpriced. When it comes to their DLC, I wait until the price drops and the patches are made. I will only ever buy the actual expansions right away.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Not worth $20 from what I hear. I went back to Morrowind for the past couple of months, and am getting ready to play Oblivion again. If/when the price for Dawnguard dips to $5 or something, I might get it.
  • VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Well they did add vampire perks, and werewolf perks. That alone may make me consider grabbing it, but it is a bit pricey at the moment.
  • nagawaranagawara Member Posts: 32

20bucks is NOT worth it especialy products coming from bugthesda

wait till price drop and patches are released

Hell mass effect 3 despite been an action-rpg linear,the story dlc leviathan is bigger than  this  and will cost 9.99 only

i know where my money will be spend 

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    I am so bumed that this will be out on PC and PS3 possibly MONTHS after is releases on XBOX 360

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    I would never pay that much for a DLC. I'll wait for a serious price drop
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
  • iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride
    Not worth $20 from what I hear. I went back to Morrowind for the past couple of months, and am getting ready to play Oblivion again. If/when the price for Dawnguard dips to $5 or something, I might get it.

Just started playing Oblivion again myself.  Some things I really miss from Skyrim (hitting I to bring up your inventory is far more convinenet than tab then selecting it, even with the UI overhauls), but other things I like a lot more.  (honestly, Cyrodil has far more charm, and the actual storylines are far far FAR superior.)

I did start it off today with committing my first murder by complete accident.  Was ina  starter cave, saw a figure in the distance, so fired a fireball.  Oops.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    It was decent.  Already finished.  Most annoying part is the increase in crashes.  I like the exploding arrows and bolts, but you can get mods of those.  I like the design of the vampire armor. 
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I've played through the Vampire side of it and I'm currently about halfway through the Dawnguard side with another character. I'd say it's worth it. It adds about 20 hours total play time and a lot of new weapons/armors/spells/perks. It also adds a lot of new assets for modders. Expect alot of mods that will require Dawnguard from this point on as it adds some really good textures/objects to the gameworld. Overall I'm very glad I bought it.

Edit: I've not experienced one single crash so far. There are some very annoying glitches however. By far the worst one is with the radiant quest system on the vampire side once you finish the main questline. They will give the same quest to turn someone again but the quest is impossible to complete because you've already turned them. The only way to complete the quest at this point is to use the console to progress the quest past the part were you have to turn them. There's a handful of minor bugs as well but this is the only "Game Stopping" one I've encountered so far.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Question. If u have dawnguard it adds things in the vanilla campaign enriching the game with various things like better designed vampires or other things, or its just a standalone mission which u can only play it?
    Originally posted by tazarconan
    Question. If u have dawnguard it adds things in the vanilla campaign enriching the game with various things like better designed vampires or other things, or its just a standalone mission which u can only play it?

To regular Vampires it adds some items like Vampire Armor sets. Also the Vampire AI seems to be a little better scripted after Dawnguard. It also adds several locations around the map and new Spells, Shouts, Perks, Powers, a summonable mount and probably the best scripted companion to date(Including mods). There is also a whole new area similar to Black Reach you can go to with some side quests to go along with it called the Soul Cairn. It's the realm of the Ideal Masters and it's where all entrapped souls go after they are used.

It does also come with it's share of bugs as well but for the most part they are minor except for the one I mentioned in my previous post. If you use mods it's pretty much a must have as about half of the new mods being released require it now. This is because it adds a lot of new set pieces and a lot of new items. People who say this addon is small have no idea what they are talking about. It just about doubles the install size of Skyrim because it adds so much to the game. There are at least 6 entirely new area building sets alone that can be used in the construction set by modders. This adds almost as much to Skyrim as The Shivering Isles added to Oblivion. It's far larger than any expansion Morrowind had.

Overall I'm very pleased with it and think at $20 it's well worth the price.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Nice to hear that it's worth downloading, especially since I've already downloaded it. It's been sitting on my PC a while though and I haven't found the time to play it.

Also, thank goodness for console commands, how do the Xboxers solve that issue?

Originally posted by Trionicus

Nice to hear that it's worth downloading, especially since I've already downloaded it. It's been sitting on my PC a while though and I haven't found the time to play it.

Also, thank goodness for console commands, how do the Xboxers solve that issue?

They have to kill the person and fail the quest. That does come with it's own problems however like if you get the same quest again and you've already killed the person you're pretty much done at that point as there is no way around it a second time on the 360.

Edit: Oh and if you are doing the Dawnguard side of the quest line and you get to a point at Dawnguard Castle were you are trapped by gates and the Dawnguard leader says you have to follow him to talk to a vampire after you get the two people he sends you after... go out the door you came in and re-enter. This seems to fix that particular bug by respawning the two people inside the gates with you and the quest will continue.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

Originally posted by Brenelael

To regular Vampires it adds some items like Vampire Armor sets. Also the Vampire AI seems to be a little better scripted after Dawnguard. It also adds several locations around the map and new Spells, Shouts, Perks, Powers, a summonable mount and probably the best scripted companion to date(Including mods). There is also a whole new area similar to Black Reach you can go to with some side quests to go along with it called the Soul Cairn. It's the realm of the Ideal Masters and it's where all entrapped souls go after they are used.

It does also come with it's share of bugs as well but for the most part they are minor except for the one I mentioned in my previous post. If you use mods it's pretty much a must have as about half of the new mods being released require it now. This is because it adds a lot of new set pieces and a lot of new items. People who say this addon is small have no idea what they are talking about. It just about doubles the install size of Skyrim because it adds so much to the game. There are at least 6 entirely new area building sets alone that can be used in the construction set by modders. This adds almost as much to Skyrim as The Shivering Isles added to Oblivion. It's far larger than any expansion Morrowind had.

Overall I'm very pleased with it and think at $20 it's well worth the price.

Bren

Thnks for the info Bren. From what i saw from some videos i noticed some vampires with wings. Somethign like Marcus from Underworld evolution.

Well since u can play the normal campaign and it adds things it can only be good. I dont know about the 20 euros but if u play Skyrim alot evrything that adds to the game is a must heh.

P.S. A complain about vamps in Skyrim and i dont if the expansion adreeses it. When u encounter a vampire npc and fight him, u dont understand that it is indeed a vampire its like u fight a random human mage npc. Thats bad. No howlings,wierd screams from the vamp,no big fangs noticeable, it should be like u fight an undead  monster and not a human spellcaster , hrumphf!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by notsure
    Il just wait until modders take the features out of dawnguard and include them into the main game. 

That would be illegal.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Thnks for the info Bren. From what i saw from some videos i noticed some vampires with wings. Somethign like Marcus from Underworld evolution.

Well since u can play the normal campaign and it adds things it can only be good. I dont know about the 20 euros but if u play Skyrim alot evrything that adds to the game is a must heh.

P.S. A complain about vamps in Skyrim and i dont if the expansion adreeses it. When u encounter a vampire npc and fight him, u dont understand that it is indeed a vampire its like u fight a random human mage npc. Thats bad. No howlings,wierd screams from the vamp,no big fangs noticeable, it should be like u fight an undead  monster and not a human spellcaster , hrumphf!

That Vampire with wings is the Vampire Lord. You morph into one the same way you morph into a Werewolf. You also get a perk tree that can only be accessed while transformed for both Vampire Lord and Werewolf. They are also leveled differently than your character. For Vampire Lords you gain perks by killing victims with your life draining ability and for Werewolfs you gain perks by eating corpses. As you gain more perks it takes longer to gain the next one as in you need to drain/eat more.

As for your complaint they all have a very unique look to them now with the addition of the Vampire Armor sets. There are both Armors and Robes so you can tell the Melee from the Mages from a distance now as well although all vamps are mages to a certain extent(Life Drain and other vamp abilities). They also behave a little differently now and say more Vampire like dialog while fighting them. This isn't just the Dawnguard vamps either... even random vamp #384 in random cave #206 got this makeover as well. Also there seems to be more random Werewolves and Vampires wandering the world at night since I installed Dawnguard as well.

Overall it adds a lot to the base game as well as the new quests and areas. It's well worth the money.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

That Vampire with wings is the Vampire Lord. You morph into one the same way you morph into a Werewolf. You also get a perk tree that can only be accessed while transformed for both Vampire Lord and Werewolf. They are also leveled differently than your character. For Vampire Lords you gain perks by killing victims with your life draining ability and for Werewolfs you gain perks by eating corpses. As you gain more perks it takes longer to gain the next one as in you need to drain/eat more.

As for your complaint they all have a very unique look to them now with the addition of the Vampire Armor sets. There are both Armors and Robes so you can tell the Melee from the Mages from a distance now as well although all vamps are mages to a certain extent(Life Drain and other vamp abilities). They also behave a little differently now and say more Vampire like dialog while fighting them. This isn't just the Dawnguard vamps either... even random vamp #384 in random cave #206 got this makeover as well. Also there seems to be more random Werewolves and Vampires wandering the world at night since I installed Dawnguard as well.

Overall it adds a lot to the base game as well as the new quests and areas. It's well worth the money.

Bren

Thats good to hear. Thnks again for the infos.

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

I had the best time using the crossbow.........

Makes a great Dragon killer!

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I've played through the Vampire side of it and I'm currently about halfway through the Dawnguard side with another character. I'd say it's worth it. It adds about 20 hours total play time and a lot of new weapons/armors/spells/perks. It also adds a lot of new assets for modders. Expect alot of mods that will require Dawnguard from this point on as it adds some really good textures/objects to the gameworld. Overall I'm very glad I bought it.

Edit: I've not experienced one single crash so far. There are some very annoying glitches however. By far the worst one is with the radiant quest system on the vampire side once you finish the main questline. They will give the same quest to turn someone again but the quest is impossible to complete because you've already turned them. The only way to complete the quest at this point is to use the console to progress the quest past the part were you have to turn them. There's a handful of minor bugs as well but this is the only "Game Stopping" one I've encountered so far.

Bren

I was curious to see how much content was added for the cost.  20 or so hours sounds okay.

Also a very important point about mods and expansions.  It has been a traditional staple for alot of mods to be based on a player possessing all possible expansion packs.  Any PC gamer that does mods surely would be aware of that.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

i hate all this DLC crap why dont companies make proper expansions like with Morrowind + Tribunual & Bloodmoon

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

i hate all this DLC crap why dont companies make proper expansions like with Morrowind + Tribunual & Bloodmoon

why should they when people splurge the cash on DLC.