Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloud based Guild Wars?

dubledubdubledub Member Posts: 229

I might be a bit slow on the uptake but I've just been told about 'Cloud-based gaming'.

Basically the game is run as if it were in your browser, using a video stream or something, so much older and lower spech hardware can run games online (because your processor isn't doing anything more than streaming HD video). 

I assumed it would only be for Bejewled 2 etc. but having visited Gaikai (website offering cloud based gaming recently purchased by Sony) and seen the catalogue of games they have demos for (including Tera!! -- Which I played on my macbook air and the fans didn't even go above rest) could we see this as a future, not just for Guild Wars 2, but all MMOs?

ANet have said they want the game to run on the lowest spech computers possible, so this seems like the ideal solution! 

What do you all think?

EDIT: Other websites also offering cloud based games exist, just mentioned Gaikai because it had a Tera demo

Comments

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878
    Originally posted by dubledub

I might be a bit slow on the uptake but I've just been told about 'Cloud-based gaming'.

Basically the game is run as if it were in your browser, using a video stream or something, so much older and lower spech hardware can run games online (because your processor isn't doing anything more than streaming HD video). 

I assumed it would only be for Bejewled 2 etc. but having visited Gaikai (website offering cloud based gaming recently purchased by Sony) and seen the catalogue of games they have demos for (including Tera!! -- Which I played on my macbook air and the fans didn't even go above rest) could we see this as a future, not just for Guild Wars 2, but all MMOs?

ANet have said they want the game to run on the lowest spech computers possible, so this seems like the ideal solution! 

What do you all think?

EDIT: Other websites also offering cloud based games exist, just mentioned Gaikai because it had a Tera demo

input lag, video lag. no thanks

• dubledubdubledub Member Posts: 229
    Originally posted by cloud8521

What do you all think?

Ok, well how about both a downloadable client and a cloud-based client being available? The potential increase to playerbase is huge, and actually the lag is minimal already and would be easy to reduce further with better servers (as more people adopt the idea)

Do you not see the benefit to your wallet of not having to buy a new gaming rig or upgrading components every time a new game comes out?

• 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168

More options is always better but to answer your question, if PC gamers put so much money on their rigs, thats for a reason... High quality gaming.

That's why i say more options is better, might be interesting for some people like you seems to be but that kind of thing will never replace PCs or consoles.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i doubt it would a strong substitute for mmo gaming platform but who knows?

What has Sony bought for its $380 million, and what does it mean for its competitors?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-02-sony-and-gaikai-the-clouds-silver-lining

Gaikai is also, as its founder Dave Perry has been keen to emphasise from the outset, a great marketing tool. As game demos have grown in size, now often clocking in at multiple gigabytes, they've become less and less appealing to consumers - many of whom, especially in the United States, face tough bandwidth caps from their ISPs. Streaming offers a chance to let players try a game instantly without the inconvenience of a large download

• dubledubdubledub Member Posts: 229
    Originally posted by 9ineven

More options is always better but to answer your question, if PC gamers put so much money on their rigs, thats for a reason... High quality gaming.

That's why i say more options is better, might be interesting for some people like you seems to be but that kind of thing will never replace PCs or  consoles.

But the capacity to have high quality gaming on anything other than an expensive rig was impossible until now

Surely it is not beyond anyone's comprehension that this can, and will, happen in the coming years - as internet connections become better and better in the average house, why would people not adopt a system where anything (tablet, console, pc, mac, phone) that connects to the internet can play any computer game? 

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878
    Originally posted by 9ineven

That's why i say more options is better, might be interesting for some people like you seems to be but that kind of thing will never replace PCs or  consoles.

But the capacity to have high quality gaming on anything other than an expensive rig was impossible until now

Surely it is not beyond anyone's comprehension that this can, and will, happen in the coming years - as internet connections become better and better in the average house, why would people not adopt a system where anything (tablet, console, pc, mac, phone) that connects to the internet can play any computer game? 

unless you can break the laws of physic and send singals at faster then lgith speed there will be disadvantages

• 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168

Sorry but I have yet to see "high quality gaming on anything other than an expensive rig".

Please don't say Onlive...

The thing is we are (or at least I am) talking about high quality gaming, people like me who wants the best possible technical experience and quality.

That kind of gamer will never get interested in the technology you are talking about.

But who knows the futur...

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

so mmos already cater to casuals...

now they have to provide their products to people that cant even afford a low end PC...

no thanks.

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by cloud8521

What do you all think?

Ok, well how about both a downloadable client and a cloud-based client being available? The potential increase to playerbase is huge, and actually the lag is minimal already and would be easy to reduce further with better servers (as more people adopt the idea)

Do you not see the benefit to your wallet of not having to buy a new gaming rig or upgrading components every time a new game comes out?

Would not work. Thats what EA originally wanted to do with BF3 over Origin, and it ended up that they needed to load the game on the computer anyway, because that sophisticated a program does not work over browser/cloud at any decent level. Demos are different and much less graphically sophisticated. Basically, Id rather pay 1k to buy and build an excellent rig once every 4 years than have any % of lag. (Also, my 5 year old computer that I just stopped using for my new one runs GW2 perfectly, not highest AA or anything, but highest graphics level without AA. And it still runs every new FPS on at least medium graphics. was 1000 new. Computers are cheap, learn to build or find someone who can build, imo :) )

EDIT: If you live near a big city, you should easily be able to find a place that either gives free computers out to those who can afford (which are usually 5 year old-ish systems). Or buy a used computer from craigslist, just make sure its from a reliable source, and tested before buying...one search and I've found 5 computer that can run GW2 on high graphics for $350 or less that are within 20 miles of me without even scrolling down the page!). ALWAYS a way to find cheap computer that are good.

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436
    Originally posted by Preacher26

now they have to provide their products to people that cant even afford a low end PC...

no thanks.

How would they be catering to  people who can't afford a low end pc?  A high end pc is still running the MMO client, it's just that some separate company provides the service of letting someone with a low end pc connect to the high end pc with keyboard-mouse input and hi-stream video output.

The MMO company doesn't have anything to do with it.

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Normike

no thanks.

How would they be catering to  people who can't afford a low end pc?  A high end pc is still running the MMO client, it's just that some separate company provides the service of letting someone with a low end pc connect to the high end pc with keyboard-mouse input and hi-stream video output.

guess im disgruntled.

Same reasons it makes me angry when I see people buying beer/cigs/lottery tickets with their welfare cards.

I cant see any company offering these services for free... and if someone is serious about gaming then buying or building a PC is relatively cheap.

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by Normike

no thanks.

even the low low end new computers can run most new games, ALL new MMOs, and any game over 1 year old. I can build a computer for $300 that can run current/upcoming FPS games too. The problem isnt price, the problem is people finding the best value for their money. Buying a computer that is 1000 or under, you are paying 100-300 for them building that computer. Used computer are also plentiful and even cheaper! craigslist, amazon, ebay, garage sales, friends. My one friend gives away his old $5000 rigs (when they are 2 years old), because he has plenty of money. There are so many ways to get great, cheap computers its ridiculous.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Eventually, most games may be played this way, but we aren't there yet. TERA has a free trial that forces you to use this technology. I found latency to be acceptable, but video quality was horrible. As bandwidth continues to expand and more and more of the net inrastructure becomes fiber, this time of thing will get better.

We are already transitioning to digital delivery of multi-GB content. Eventually, most gaming will probably be cloud based and there will be no compromise in quality.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• CyflymCyflym Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by fiontar

Eventually, most games may be played this way, but we aren't there yet. TERA has a free trial that forces you to use this technology. I found latency to be acceptable, but video quality was horrible. As bandwidth continues to expand and more and more of the net inrastructure becomes fiber, this time of thing will get better.

We are already transitioning to digital delivery of multi-GB content. Eventually, most gaming will probably be cloud based and there will be no compromise in quality.

Your words scare me...

Because i fear this might become true, but i sure hope it won't be the case.

I see lagged games (because you just can't defeat the laws of physics),

ad inserts covering up half your screen or completly paused gaming for ads,

and a generation of fanboys blindy defending and supporting it just like almost every crap today has its crowd of fans that do.

I hate all cloud stuff with a passion.

They are at most times intrusive centers of personal-data theft which are increasingly forced upon people.

Imo it should be deemed as pure evil, made illegal and throw everyone supporting them in a dark hole to never be let out again.

When i look at  how sloppy the masses are with their stuff on facebook&co, how addicted many already are to be permanently online and connected, it seems the broad use of clouds with no alternative anywhere is sadly very likely and makes the future look grim.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    yeah its in a constant cascading spiral into fully controlled crap. Sign in with your credit card to prove your 18 and hey, since they already have your details, why not pick up that fancy outfit for your avatar. For $200 more you can have the actual outfit shipped to you in your size! By the way, Dominator Pizza is delivering in your area! You're our latest WINNER! Click here to find out how to claim your prize! Drink Cola!  Don't forget to check out the thrilling conclusion to Twilight: When vampires cry! You're game is loading, please wait,  Drink Cola! Tired of cumbersome popup ads? Want to clean up your PC and getting running like new? Then you need CompuCrapper! Flush those nasty malware programs and $50 right down the crapper! Drink Cola!  Click here to start!...

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.