Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2: impressions of PVP from massively.com

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

goto link if you want to read the full writeup

Duking it out in EQII's level-agnostic battlegrounds

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/04/the-tattered-notebook-duking-it-out-in-eqiis-level-agnostic-ba/

I focused on running some of the newly revamped battlegrounds this week to see what's changed and how the new level agnostic system is working out.

Level-agnosticism

I was really curious to see what the level-agnostic system was like in battlegrounds because I didn't have much luck getting into a BG when it was on Test. I tried several with my mid 30s Illusionist and braced for the worst because I didn't level-lock her to grind out AAs and because I don't have any BG gear for herI was going to run ACT to check out parses and comb data, but I decided against it. All the numbers in the world won't matter because it has to be about how it feels. If I feel as if I have a fair chance against a level 81 player, that's far more important.

Overall, it did seem that the level-agnostic system brought parity to the field. I'm sure there will be adjustments needed here and there; systems have to be tuned not only for adventure level and class balance but also for AAs and gear.

Previously in Ganak, I tended to stick with a few guildmates to hang back and fend off attempts to steal our flag. I usually played a Fury and didn't always do too well against a Ranger or Wizard one-on-one, but I could contribute quite a bit when I was with a few others.

I assumed I'd have little chance solo on my low-level Illy, but I actually held my own and defended against several attempts on our flag back at the base all by myself, even when it was a much higher-level player stealing the flag. Part of that probably stems from the fact that the flag-bearer moves more slowly now and takes more damage, so I had more time to take him down before he got out of the base. But part of that is also a result of the level agnostic system. I might not have been able to solo a level 81 player, but I could do enough damage to him and slow him down enough that it bought time for the rest of the team to come in and help finish him off, and that's a nice balance overall.