Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] The Secret World: Funcom's Magnum Opus

Comments

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by MidBoss

Alot of people seem to be using the user score as some sort of vindication for the reviewer score.

I'd like to remind thoes people that 600-1000 is a poor sample size for an MMO.

What this tells me is that only people with a strong positive opinion of the game cared enough to vote. While most others found the game to be "meh".

Not offensive enough to spur the masses into a downvoting fest, but not good enough to pull in a large amount of positive votes.

600-1000 isn't a poor sample size for anything.  Most political polling doesn't go over 1500 and that is for 100 million voters.  Many state polls don't go over 1k and that is for millions of voters.  1k for polling purposes will get you within +/- 3%  95% of the time.  5% of the time something will have been off and give you the something outside of +/- 3%.  The real problem is that these are self selected reviews and not a random sample, so their representation of the mmo market cannot be known.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by niceguy3978

600-1000 isn't a poor sample size for anything.  Most political polling doesn't go over 1500 and that is for 100 million voters.  Many state polls don't go over 1k and that is for millions of voters.  1k for polling purposes will get you within +/- 3%  95% of the time.  5% of the time something will have been off and give you the something outside of +/- 3%.  The real problem is that these are self selected reviews and not a random sample, so their representation of the mmo market cannot be known.

Yeah, but you've got to consider that its a sample size made up entirely of people motivated for one reason or another to rate the game.

For more popular games, people often feel the need to express disapproval, but when a game is less popular and drops off the mainstream radar, you get a higher percentage of votes in favor, because people who don't like it, forgot all about it, and don't care enough to vote it down.

I can't be the only to have noticed that this game hasn't exactly been flying off the digital shelves, right?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• MisarisMisaris Member Posts: 140
    i'm in since early access and The Secret World is a fantastic, highly immersive story and puzzle MMO with the quality of a single player game.
    The designs and graphics quality are breathtaking, especially with DX11+tesselation on. I find the combat fun and very versatile.
    I always recommend everyone I know who likes good games to try it out, some friends will join for the free celebration weekend starting on friday.
  • k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Originally posted by tkoreaper

image Deep skill system - Just a facade, not actually "deep"

Explain please... It's pretty deep to me, there are hundreds of abilities and combinations to choose from. It was to the point of being overwhelming for me in the beginning... If that's not deep then I would love to know what is.

Deep means intrications, mechanics between different skills & tiers. Not just a mixbag of separate spells.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by vtravi

I love the game. One of the best MMo's I have played and I have played them all. The bugs are annoying and the crafting is usless so I think an 8.5 is right on.

I am not sure how people say there is not much content. I have played over 125 hours and I am not done with egypt yet. I have only finished 22% of the skill wheel. I guess if you look up hints online and rush through everything then it would go quick, but this is a different game. You are not supposed to just blow through the investigative missions. Several of them have taken me over 3 hours to complete. The most fun I have had in a MMO.

Same thing with SWTOR , people did not read the quests, did not care about the story and wondered why they finished so fast

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Unfortunatly this is a fanboi review. 8+ in every category is not realistic and the categories it would score extremely low in you decided not to make a category for. I'm sorry but his review deserves to be torn apart for it's obvious bias. This is far from a waste of money but giving people on this site unrealistic expectations for an obivously flawed game does not help anyone.
  • cheggelundcheggelund Member UncommonPosts: 91

I certainly think this innovative game deserves 8.5.

I have been playing since day 1 and still love it!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by k-damage

Explain please... It's pretty deep to me, there are hundreds of abilities and combinations to choose from. It was to the point of being overwhelming for me in the beginning... If that's not deep then I would love to know what is.

Deep means intrications, mechanics between different skills & tiers. Not just a mixbag of separate spells.

gonna copy past my post from official forums, when asked the same question.

Fire manifestation

200 base dmg 

every 2 seconds

5 meter area

2 resources

Lightning manifestation

200 base dmg

every 1 second

5 meter area

2 resources

Take lightning. No brainer right? Wrong here is where the brain comes in.

Lightning 

10 second cool down

Chain attack

Fire

5 second cool down 

normal attack 

So take fire right? Well maybe. What if I added 7.5 dmg to chain attacks and a heal debuff? Easy take lightning then right? Well  do I really want to use 2 passives cards to have an extra uber lightning manifestation? It depends.

It depends on the map and it depends on the situation and your build concept. This is just 2 cards I'm talking about. There are 523 more that play just like these.

No other mmorpg gives you this level of depth, customozation, and freedom across the board except maybe EvE, and lets be honest we like RPing people more than ships.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Daedrick

*braindead drooling*

Will they ever learn? that game will be empty (read go free to play) in six months just like all the other MMOs that are so called ''almost perfect'' (read 8.5).

Misleading score, as always, one day, MMORPG.com will FINALLY learn and make their rating a minimum realistic.

Suzie ford answer this one and only question. I also invite you to share it to your fellow reviewer, here is the question; How come the majority of the game you (MMORPG crew) review so highly never flourish but instead fall, sink and dwelve into the ''free to play'' in a desesperate attempt at trying to gain back their lost player base?

They ''fail'' for a reason. You people are suposed to be professionnals about MMORPG and we should be looking here for guidance, instead, we get this.

Here you go Daedrick on your F2P model for TSW

http://www.shacknews.com/article/74704/the-secret-world-committed-to-subscriptions-for-now

Just wanted to point it out that 6 months is a little to soon for F2P as you stated for TSW. Just keep the facts straight here.

• PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673

Did you guys in mmorpg even bother playing the games a reasonable ammount of time to check out all the game content or at least two thirds of it???

Why in the hell every friggin picture is about Kingsmouth or NY??? Did you guys made it to Blue Mountain at least... Egypt??? Other instance other than Polaris????

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585
    Fiinally some decent review score where credit due. Swtor was awful.  
  • BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345
    I had to quit. It was too tough for me. I could have continued grinding, but I got tired of it. Other than that, I thought it was a very good game.
  • tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by Brynn

I had to quit. It was too tough for me. I could have continued grinding, but I got tired of it. Other than that, I thought it was a very good game.

Get some friends ...Not to belittle you or anything , but this game is NOT hard gameplaywise unless you want to "solo" all the way

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262

Reviewing an MMO this early into its life is as about as relevant as, well, nothing.  In the first month I absolutely loved Warhammer, but we all know how that one panned out.

If people are enjoying it, fantastic.  The review seems a tad high, though, but given the SW:TOR review I'm not really surprised.

• BlossieBlossie Member Posts: 8
    The character creater is exactly the same as it was at the end of beta , and its really bad in so many ways , i dont know where the op gets his information from but there has been none , zero , zilch improvements . There are improvements coming at the end of august we were told .
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    Unfortunatly this is a fanboi review. 

Well.. I have a playtime of 160+ hours and the review is correct in every aspect. Are you very unhappy about the fact it's a great game?

• zhivikzhivik Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by Aconsar

Reviewing an MMO this early into its life is as about as relevant as, well, nothing.  In the first month I absolutely loved Warhammer, but we all know how that one panned out.

If people are enjoying it, fantastic.  The review seems a tad high, though, but given the SW:TOR review I'm not really surprised.

My thoughts exactly - SW:TOR also got a very good review from MMORPG, not to mention that they were defending the game until the point when people started to get fired from Bioware. In fact, Bill Murphy admitted he no longer subscribers to SW:TOR, which doesn't make sense, if the original review was accurate.

I hope it doesn't come to the same point as it did with SW:TOR, but reviews on MMORPG are starting to lose credibility for me. The site is still good for MMO-related news, but critical pieces have become increasingly toothless over the past year or so.

Originally posted by zhivik

My thoughts exactly - SW:TOR also got a very good review from MMORPG

every site gave SWTOR a great score. at this time no one knew they would not add real useful updates for 8 months.

Just more of the same, and not enough of it. No announcement of space combat.

e.g. TSW already gets monthly updates with interesting stuff, 1.1. is out, 1.2 end off August.

Good updates are the key to success of any MMO and so far TSW rules

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by k-damage

gonna copy past my post from official forums, when asked the same question.

Fire manifestation

200 base dmg 

every 2 seconds

5 meter area

2 resources

Lightning manifestation

200 base dmg

every 1 second

5 meter area

2 resources

Take lightning. No brainer right? Wrong here is where the brain comes in.

Lightning 

10 second cool down

Chain attack

Fire

5 second cool down 

normal attack 

So take fire right? Well maybe. What if I added 7.5 dmg to chain attacks and a heal debuff? Easy take lightning then right? Well  do I really want to use 2 passives cards to have an extra uber lightning manifestation? It depends.

It depends on the map and it depends on the situation and your build concept. This is just 2 cards I'm talking about. There are 523 more that play just like these.

No other mmorpg gives you this level of depth, customozation, and freedom across the board except maybe EvE, and lets be honest we like RPing people more than ships.

Nice :) 

(I was indeed just giving the definition of "deep", not judging TSW deepness, as I didn't play it)

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

MMO's are now in a position where a subscription model for an AAA game that scores 8.5 is questioned at launch. All those who think this bodes well for the MMO genre keep your heads firmly in the sand.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

Honestly, I see little reason to ever use it from the standpoint that the clothiers in each major city have vastly more options for players to choose from.

Where might I be able to purchase clothes while visiting New York and Seoul?

wtb /played or chronicle link 

Nusquam - Lead Content Designer

<p postcontent"="">We knew TSW was not going to be for everyone, and I wouldn't worry too much about bad early reviews from smaller sites. The bigger ones are yet to come and even then, the game will probably be divisive.

The important thing is that YOU guys like it - we'll continue to work on improving it regardless of what the critics say.

On a personal note, I think that early reviews on an MMORPG should always be encouraged to include a /played. That way it is easier for customers to see just how in depth the early reviews went in a game.

Though I guess, if you figure out character names, you can always check it out for yourself on chronicle 
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

It's a high score for the Game, Bill. Not insanely high, as was your sites Aion score, but about 1 out of  10 higher than where the rest of the planets critics place the game. TSW is nothing new.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world

• rissiesrissies Member Posts: 161
    I actually really like the premise of TSW and hope it does well, if only to inspire more MMOs in the urban horror and consipiracy genre. However...that 9.5 on aesthetics, particularly without any screencaps to show it merits that near-perfect score calls the rest of the scoring into question. I have actually seen some really nice screens of TSW, but the majority that are floating around, including the ones with this article, are sadly bland and honestly look dated. 
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    I played the game closed beta, and I think while the game is alright it wasn't enough to tempt me to box purchase and sub. 
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Aesthetics 9.5 . If the combat animations are still that bad, then this score is a joke. The combat animations should also be listed in Cons then.

While I believe that the reviewer tried to be sincere with the review, just shrugging off bad points of a game in this way makes you lose credibility with your readers. I also don't like defending a reviewer with 'its just an opinion'. I'm pretty sure that the idea is that your goal is to be as objective as possible as reviewer. So you should be able to defend your scores with arguments. Not just 'I just happen to like it'.

Apart from that I agree that this is a decent MMO. I'm also happy they finally got a MMO launch right.

But those crazy high scores for the late MMO's are odd though. It doesn't really leave much room to improve upon. Maybe it is time to simply get rid of the rating by the writers here and just use an expanded pro/con system. Let the visitors of this site create an average rating instead.