Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF that "Vanilla Wow" feeling

rannoxrannox Member Posts: 8

Many years ago playing Vanilla Wow were some of the best experiences in gaming I've ever had.

40 Man raiding that took hours, if not days to organize. Finally getting Rag down after months of trying. 

Real PvP, tauren mill and south shore battles were amazing.

Original stlye of PVP eliteness, being the top dog in the server, and one of the few with the best possible PvP gear in the game.

Grinding for weeks on end just to get a small upgrade and beating out others with your DKP points to get that epic shoulder piece. 

Attacking Orgrimar/Ironforge with so many players that the server goes down for hours, only to defend your own city when it comes back up.

BWL opening up, and being amazed by the new difficulty increase.

(I was unemplyed for a while, so I never got to naxx before bc came out)

Ah I miss those days.... why oh why did BC have to come out... That is the day WoW died for me...

Anyone have a game that brings this feeling back? I got it a little out of Warhammere online, but the mechanics were too clunky to keep my interest.

I havent found another game to bring me that "Vanilla Wow" feeling since.

Comments

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

And you won't find it.

Because it was special to you because it was your first time doing those things.

You have games in the market with everything you just said, but you'll be jaded playing them because they are not WoW, not even WoW is Wow anymore, even if you could have Vanilla WoW servers they would never feel the same to you.

Your best bet is to try a radically different game and try to be amazed again.

• KahnrayKahnray Member UncommonPosts: 12

Rivalen is pretty spot on here. I, too, was in the same position you were, that really overwhelmingly awesome feeling of vanilla wow (it being my first MMO). The problem is, when you look for something new, you tend to look for things similar in the hopes they emulate the feeling you felt in the beginning, which sadly never happens since you're constantly comparing and contrasting against the original game.

Try something absolutely 100% different from WoW. I got hooked on EvE (which is about as different from WoW as you can get), and I tell you, I sort got that overhwlemingly awesome feeling when I started playing, simply because it was nothing I had seen before, and I was once again a tiny low level (in a manner of speaking) player that needed to work his way up in this massive (and I mean MASSIVE) universe, with all sorts of things yet to be discovered.

Of course there are others out there, but ideally, the further away from vanilla wow you venture, the more likely you'll be able to get the vanilla wow spark again.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Look to Titan, thats my only hope for a vanilla WoW quality product.  Every other game, with a few exceptions like EVE online, has been mediocre at best.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I'd suggest rift but its closer to the "BC" status then Vanilla. Vanguard has a more Vanilla wow like feel (least out of memory) which might fit your fancy.

• Got_Game_TVGot_Game_TV Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by Rivalen

And you won't find it.

Because it was special to you because it was your first time doing those things.

You have games in the market with everything you just said, but you'll be jaded playing them because they are not WoW, not even WoW is Wow anymore, even if you could have Vanilla WoW servers they would never feel the same to you.

This is pretty close to correct imho.  I had this feeling about Ultima Online and the only game that really even came close for my was Mortal Online, which was fashioned after UO. :(

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

Won't happen. Everyone is telling the same story of his first (good) mmo experience. Its not game related too much imo.

You gotta try something completely different (like planetside2 as your first mmoshooter or EVE). While i think that GW2 will change a lot (for me) its still too close to the old concept to bring the exact feeling back.

• Got_Game_TVGot_Game_TV Member UncommonPosts: 262

I'm still waiting for my virtual reality MMORPG that plugs into my brain!

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    I think you are getting your timelines crossed vanilla wow had no raids, no battlegrounds, no legendaries and arguably was a much better game for it. I enjoyed it ....as you say Tauren Mill pvp! (MC & onyx lair don't count). I would tentatively suggest GW 2, I kinda got that feeling (took a couple of days) of course if you are a "hardcore raider" you might not find an "endgame" you enjoy, but vanilla wow was never about endgame and all about he journey. Conversely you might find alternate pursuits to replace the raid treadmill.
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

Look to Titan, thats my only hope for a vanilla WoW quality product.  Every other game, with a few exceptions like EVE online, has been mediocre at best.

Titan will probably more feel like Diablo III in a "true" MMO instead of emulating MMO... Even then, it wouldnt feel like Vanilla WoW, since no one from the orig. WoW dev team is at Blizzard anymore.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

And you won't find it.

Well said.

And I agree, I been playing MMOs since 1996 and only the radically different games will give that "new game feeling" for more than a few days.

Try GW2 though, it worked for me at least.

Originally posted by Loke666

And you won't find it.

Well said.

And I agree, I been playing MMOs since 1996 and only the radically different games will give that "new game feeling" for more than a few days.

Gotta agree here. Im in the same boat as you, always trying to find some game that has the same feeling as WoW had. WoW wasnt my first MMO - but it was my first MMO that really sucked me into the world and made me get very deep interest in the game.

I hated Guild Wars 1, but decided to try out Guild Wars 2 - and what a joy. It actually feels like a MMO now, instead of a oRPG. I'd say you should try GW2 - especially if you enjoy PvP and raid PvE content. But keep in mind its a casual game, and doesnt require you to use hundreds of hours collecting gear and reach endgame.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

And you won't find it.

Well said.

+1

Old Fart here as well and i approve that above with every letter written.

Also trying GW 2 because of the DaoC Times and surprisingly its working for me as well. I am so looking forward to it.

Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Gotta agree here. Im in the same boat as you, always trying to find some game that has the same feeling as WoW had. WoW wasnt my first MMO - but it was my first MMO that really sucked me into the world and made me get very deep interest in the game.

I hated Guild Wars 1, but decided to try out Guild Wars 2 - and what a joy. It actually feels like a MMO now, instead of a oRPG. I'd say you should try GW2 - especially if you enjoy PvP and raid PvE content. But keep in mind its a casual game, and doesnt require you to use hundreds of hours collecting gear and reach endgame.

Wow is rather casual as well to us old M59 and EQ players.

GW2 can take hundreds of hours to become good as well, the dungeons are really hard and takes a very different skill from most other MMOs but you don´t get better gear, you need to play better instead.

GW2 can take hundreds of hours to become good as well, the dungeons are really hard and takes a very different skill from most other MMOs but you don´t get better gear, you need to play better instead.

Well, I was referring to vanilla WoW, which of you of course know, was in another state as of today. But yeah of course WoW has alwas been a little more casual than these extreme grind games before its time.

Well, I was referring to vanilla WoW, which of you of course know, was in another state as of today. But yeah of course WoW has alwas been a little more casual than these extreme grind games before its time.

Yeah, me too. :)

The difference with GW2 is that if you play really well you can skip it but if you suck it will take you even longer to learn to play good enough. I like that part.

Yeah, me too. :)

The difference with GW2 is that if you play really well you can skip it but if you suck it will take you even longer to learn to play good enough. I like that part.

Im curious to see, how long Guild Wars 2 can have the players interests, without rewarding the player with "more gear to become more OP", to just have fun. I hope its enough to hold people - the fun part that is.

• rannoxrannox Member Posts: 8

Thanks for all the replys guys.

Helped put it in perspective a bit. It wasnt really my "First" mmo, i had dabbled in a few before, even sneaking into my parents friends game room to play a few hours of UO, back when I was a preteen. However it was my first MMO that i really got sucked into, both into the community and the overal game, even ran/co-ran a few end game guilds.

I plan on trying out GW2 once it comes live, or I happen to get into a beta weekend. I've also been tempted to try "The Secret World"... but I havent really seen anything from videos that make me want to play it, I just like the "idea" of it.

World of Tanks was fun and interesting, was co-running a top end clan that owned quite a bit of europe before it dissolved, and then I got burnt out.

Diablo 3 was fun for a month or 2.

I just recently tried DayZ for a couple of days, but I just cant get past the TERRIBLE Arma2 engine, its just plain trash. 

Might get Torchlight 2 when it comes out.

Looking into a few "sandbox" style mmo's... since that just sounds real interesting.

Mainly i just play CS:S, Tribes: Ascend, and Dota2 at the moment to keep me entertained.

Once again, thanks for the help and perspective guys.

Also this gave me memories of why I dont want to run, or even help running any high maintanace guilds/clans anymore... haha.

• Dudek28Dudek28 Member UncommonPosts: 226
    I believe it can happen again! It happened to me twice. First time was with UO and then with Wow. So really I dont think it will happen until something very revolutionary hits. Just like UO and WoW did.
  • GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by rannox

Thanks for all the replys guys.

Helped put it in perspective a bit. It wasnt really my "First" mmo, i had dabbled in a few before, even sneaking into my parents friends game room to play a few hours of UO, back when I was a preteen. However it was my first MMO that i really got sucked into, both into the community and the overal game, even ran/co-ran a few end game guilds.

I plan on trying out GW2 once it comes live, or I happen to get into a beta weekend. I've also been tempted to try "The Secret World"... but I havent really seen anything from videos that make me want to play it, I just like the "idea" of it.

World of Tanks was fun and interesting, was co-running a top end clan that owned quite a bit of europe before it dissolved, and then I got burnt out.

Diablo 3 was fun for a month or 2.

I just recently tried DayZ for a couple of days, but I just cant get past the TERRIBLE Arma2 engine, its just plain trash. 

Might get Torchlight 2 when it comes out.

Looking into a few "sandbox" style mmo's... since that just sounds real interesting.

Mainly i just play CS:S, Tribes: Ascend, and Dota2 at the moment to keep me entertained.

Once again, thanks for the help and perspective guys.

Also this gave me memories of why I dont want to run, or even help running any high maintanace guilds/clans anymore... haha.

I think everybody is just waiting for GW2. Im in the same boat, i used to be a hardcore player but with family and kids it just dont work anymore.

I cant seem to hang on to any game for more than a month or so theese days, ive also played LOL/WoT on/ff but got bored. SWtor and TSW has bad pvp imo.

Interesting titles to keep an eye on for me is as follows..

GW2 (offcourse)

Planetside 2.

The Repopulation.

Archage (sp?)

Darkfall 2.

GL with the boredom. Just know your not alone ;)

• GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Dudek28
    I believe it can happen again! It happened to me twice. First time was with UO and then with Wow. So really I dont think it will happen until something very revolutionary hits. Just like UO and WoW did.

Mine was Asherons call (Darktide), Shadowbane and DAoC.

Edit: And WoW had some good moments as well.

Good times indeed!