Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It happened....SWTOR going F2P this fall!

Comments

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by Ghost12

Well, I guess this comes to no surprise to some people:

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/31/3207160/star-wars-the-old-republic-going-free-to-play-this-fall

To all those who doubted...all I have to say is....we told ya so.

All eight character storylines up to level 50 will be accessible with restricted access to new content and advanced features. Some of these restrictions can be removed by "purchasing" access with Cartel Coins, the new virtual currency to be introduced in the fall. Unlimited access including higher-level content and new features will be available through subscription options.

"Players want flexibility and choice. The subscription-only model presented a major barrier for a lot of people who wanted to become part of The Old Republic universe," said GM of BioWare Matthew Bromberg in a press release.

Beginning in the fall, players will have free-to-play and subscription options. Players can purchase on going subscriptions or play advanced content by redeeming Game Time Cards. Subscribers will receive monthly allowances of Cartel Coins, which can be used to purchase in-game items, gear, and convenience features.

"Since launch, we've been listening to feedback from our fans and adding new content and refining The Old Republic at a breakneck pace," said executive producer Jeff Hickman. "We believe we are in a position to help improve the service even more, not only by continuing to add new content, but also by expanding the game to many more Star Wars fans, increasing the populations on worlds and the vibrancy of the community."

CALLED IT!!

two weeks after SWTOR was released (approx when I canceled my sub) I told my friends "this game will be F2P by the end of the year!"

P.S. In retrospect, I guess many of us knew this would happen... more of a question of "when" rather than "if"

• VaelgardVaelgard Member UncommonPosts: 65

I really don't understand why this gets people excited.  A crappy game is still crappy regardless of the pay model.  If $15/month is a make-or-break thing for you, and you are willing to play a much worse game than (fill in the blanks with a sub based mmo), you have bigger fish to fry.  SWTOR sucks whether it costs $15 a month, $5 a month, free, or even if they pay you to play.  It will still fail.

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch

Pfft, RIFT lasted longer.

Sad isn't it?

Not even a full year and SWTOR is already going FTP. Oh well, maybe that'll teach them to actually put more effort in their MMOs. Highly doubt it though.

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by BrightestDay

hmmm seems pretty....limited

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Wait... the F2P people have to BUY PARTS of content updates when the new model hits? That is a very, very, very, very low blow from BW/EA ... but also hilarious.

And where are the players that WANT SWToR to go F2P that they talk of? Has anyone seen those? Where do those two get that from?

Honestly, this reads like one of those comedy soaps where everyone has these goofy misunderstandings with everyone else all the time. :D

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Ew. I'm okay with everything there except the Operations being fully restricted. That's vile. Should just have it limited like everything else. I'm only interested in the story missions personally, but that's going to piss a lot of people off.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Doubt it will save Swtor long-term. 

It will just give massive boost to population for few months and that's it. 

Most new or returning players will leave it, cause it is just bad game imo.

Freemium or p2p won't change much in this matter.   Oh wait...it will add cash shop SoE style since by looking at FAQ it is closest existing model they will follow.  Something between SoE and Lotro.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

and that matters how exactly? it's similar to the model LOTRO is doing, which proves once again they can't seem to come out from the past.

Just because they still have a sub for full access doesn't mean that people weren't right about the game losing too many players and it doesn't mean that people were wrong about how bad the game was designed.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Vaelgard

I really don't understand why this gets people excited.  A crappy game is still crappy regardless of the pay model.  If $15/month is a make-or-break thing for you, and you are willing to play a much worse game than (fill in the blanks with a sub based mmo), you have bigger fish to fry.  SWTOR sucks whether it costs $15 a month, $5 a month, free, or even if they pay you to play.  It will still fail.

There is no debate that the game will be "better quality" or anything like that because of f2p. But many folks who didn't care will at least play it and some that didn't want to pay for it might actually enjoy it, its how the f2p model works reel em in with a huge net and hope a few pay.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Vaelgard

agreed

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch

Pfft, RIFT lasted longer.

Rift beat Swtor :) I saw a thread like this awhile back.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

Character Creation....limited access. Sadly in a way it was always limited access. The was one of the disapointments of the game.

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96

Too bad about this whole thing.  Bioware with egg on it's face, all those people losing their jobs, and a blockbuster MMO going F2P.   They would have been better served re-skinning SWG and making it F2P w/ a cash shop imo.  Just so damn dissapointing.

• knighthammerknighthammer Member Posts: 22

Lots of yummy yummy rage on the SWTOR forums over this, one of the greatest IPs in the world combined with one of the greatest storytelling makers in Bioware and it gets screwed up and now this.

Star Wars Galaxies relaunch by December 2012

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by knighthammer

Lots of yummy yummy rage on the SWTOR forums over this, one of the greatest IPs in the world combined with one of the greatest storytelling makers in Bioware and it gets screwed up and now this.

*grabs popcorn and rushes over to see*

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

http://www.swtor.com/free

Looks good IMO.  Haters gonna' hate, but this is where the market is.  Look at League of Legends.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

LOL at this. incredible how a game with so much money involved and with a strong lore component dont will be F2P less than 1 year. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

"You’ve never heard of Star Wars: The Old Republic? … It’s the MMO that made the Sub to F2P run in less than 12 parsecs."

I lol'd

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

Still won't play this garbage of a game. Free is still too much.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Ironically, I would actually pay for a book that told the truth about how this happened. When is Erickson getting fired?

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

this is freemium. EA is limiting the content you can play and the amount of times a week you can play it unless you pay them.

Where does it say they are limiting time per week?  I looked at the chart and didn't see anything about that.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Just scanned the official forum and they are acting like they found their dogs in the sack with their girlfriends.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by Bardus
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Just scanned the official forum and they are acting like they found their dogs in the sack with their girlfriends.

You are lucky I was not drinking my juice when I read this.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Wow

I knew it was going to happen but I would be lying if I said they would do it before the game was even out a year. Holy hell...

Now I really wonder what their subs are at currently

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• knighthammerknighthammer Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Wow

I knew it was going to happen but I would be lying if I said they would do it before the game was even out a year. Holy hell...

Now I really wonder what their subs are at currently

Hopefully we will find out soon, must be bad with this happening....

Star Wars Galaxies relaunch by December 2012