Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It happened....SWTOR going F2P this fall!

Well, I guess this comes to no surprise to some people:

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/31/3207160/star-wars-the-old-republic-going-free-to-play-this-fall

To all those who doubted...all I have to say is....we told ya so.

This is incredible. One of the most expensive MMO's ever created going F2P in under a year.

All eight character storylines up to level 50 will be accessible with restricted access to new content and advanced features. Some of these restrictions can be removed by "purchasing" access with Cartel Coins, the new virtual currency to be introduced in the fall. Unlimited access including higher-level content and new features will be available through subscription options.

"Players want flexibility and choice. The subscription-only model presented a major barrier for a lot of people who wanted to become part of The Old Republic universe," said GM of BioWare Matthew Bromberg in a press release.

Beginning in the fall, players will have free-to-play and subscription options. Players can purchase on going subscriptions or play advanced content by redeeming Game Time Cards. Subscribers will receive monthly allowances of Cartel Coins, which can be used to purchase in-game items, gear, and convenience features.

"Since launch, we've been listening to feedback from our fans and adding new content and refining The Old Republic at a breakneck pace," said executive producer Jeff Hickman. "We believe we are in a position to help improve the service even more, not only by continuing to add new content, but also by expanding the game to many more Star Wars fans, increasing the populations on worlds and the vibrancy of the community."

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Welcome to the party, Garrett was first, twice.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Now it will be bad with restrictions! <--Joking Oh well, I am partial to the game but I'm glad it is going this way. My son and I did have many hours of fun playing until the population started dropping.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I might play it then so that's good for me.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i was wrong

wonder if EA will make DAOC and WAR ftp

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Ghost12

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/31/3207160/star-wars-the-old-republic-going-free-to-play-this-fall

All eight character storylines up to level 50 will be accessible with restricted access to new content and advanced features. Some of these restrictions can be removed by "purchasing" access with Cartel Coins, the new virtual currency to be introduced in the fall. Unlimited access including higher-level content and new features will be available through subscription options.

"Players want flexibility and choice. The subscription-only model presented a major barrier for a lot of people who wanted to become part of The Old Republic universe," said GM of BioWare Matthew Bromberg in a press release.

Beginning in the fall, players will have free-to-play and subscription options. Players can purchase on going subscriptions or play advanced content by redeeming Game Time Cards. Subscribers will receive monthly allowances of Cartel Coins, which can be used to purchase in-game items, gear, and convenience features.

"Since launch, we've been listening to feedback from our fans and adding new content and refining The Old Republic at a breakneck pace," said executive producer Jeff Hickman. "We believe we are in a position to help improve the service even more, not only by continuing to add new content, but also by expanding the game to many more Star Wars fans, increasing the populations on worlds and the vibrancy of the community."

I'm sure there are many of us that saw this well before you and your "group" did. So yeah, you didn't tell us a damn thing.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

Pfft, RIFT lasted longer.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Well I'm glad I didn't renew my suscription.. I might finish now my level 44 main, though with Skyrim and GW2 at the same time, I'll have no social life lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• User0192User0192 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by Nadia

i was wrong

I'm guessing they would rather just let them die slowly and earn minimal profit from them.. for TOR their probably desperate to earn back anything they can

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Great news.

Now i can play some TOR without any commitment.

Can anyone tell me if they have put in a LFD tool yet?

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

BUT WARHAMMER ONLINE IS STILL P2P.

What is this madness.

George Lucas where are you!@!@!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

i was wrong

The problem is that PvP game just wont work well as F2P games.

A F2P game need to sell pretty much stuff to earn in it´s costs and that means they will sell gear that actually makes you more powerfull in combat. Just selling cosmetic stuff works if you release as B2P and sell many boxes and expansions, but I am not so sure many people right now would buy any expansions for either of those games even if they cut the monthly fees.

TOR on the other hand is mainly PvE and those games have converted well to F2P in the past. Selling some unbalanced stuff is still not great but it doesn't impact the game in the same way.

I actually hoped that TOR would do better and be able to keep a million player as P2P, but it became clear pretty fast that the game just was too focus on soloplayers to be able to do that long term. I think it would be a lot better for the genre with a few games with 1-3 million players than a single 10M giant and many with 500K players or less.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

As long as they let me keep my unlimited free trial characters and give me about as much freedom as subscription players (i.e. don't severly limit bank/invenotry space, prevent me from chatting/joining guilds, etc.) I am not going to complain.

In fact, instead of restricting us, they should give us ads.

I prefer ads to restricted features.  Ads are everywhere, so why not in the game?  I will welcome ads in SWTOR as long as they let us play it the way it should be played: (mostly) restriction free.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• RaijukinRaijukin Member Posts: 63

DCUO seems to be doing pretty good with the free 2 play model...but that game is way better than SWTOR..

just in case this was a thread for people to say i told you so...I TOLD YOU SO!!! :D

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219

nice..i try it when its free.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Saw it coming. Will give me a chance to finish the stories that I didnt complete before unsubbing.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by BrightestDay

this is freemium. EA is limiting the content you can play and the amount of times a week you can play it unless you pay them.

Better than what SoE does and makes you play as a gimped out character that is useless to anyone. At least you can still use the gear that you get on those restricted dungeon runs.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

I would like to take this opportunity to act like so many acted to me while posting what was greatly missing from the game in order to try make it better over the last year (last 4 months of beta included)...so it would NOT go F2P in such a short amount of time.

Nothing to see here folks...move along...all is well.

[mod edit]

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

I think we should keep this under one thread, Probably the official announcement one.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Waiting to see someone tell me that them going F2P is also EA's fault as opposed to both EA/BW. They both had a hand in killing it. s'okay tho I support F2P games - greedy practices.

Take note future devs as to why this game did this:

Solo gameplay while leveling, non-immersive world, gear treadmill, server queues, 2004 Lobby style end game, dps requirements to do anything meaningful, hardly any exploration, invisible walls separating sections, leveling was a rush to end game to do anything with others, forced grouping for progression end game.

It was only a matter of time.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Wait, SWTOR was having trouble? When did that start? 

I'm joking

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Just curious, what do you get for being right?

• AirtaeeAirtaee Member UncommonPosts: 84

i was looking for a good image of Nelson from the Simpsons...This is the best atm.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3458/3228732115_0da8305929.jpg

XDD 

Dudes, 8 months? Really? 8? I know a old game that lasted about ...8 YEARS.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

So the only way to play the new content with level cap is to do a subcription or a Game Time Card @ $15 / month .. This really just seems like the free trial to 15, except now it's 50 (with the cap presumably being 55 in the Fall with the new Makeb planet).

Plus robbing convenience features in their lv 50 demo is not very appealing .. that could be inventory space, bank access, general chat access, mailbox usage, AH / GTN, fleet passes .. you name it.

I don't think this was the F2P model we were looking for ... rather than do a 1 time purchase for DLC (like B2P + buy expansions), EA still wants to nickle and dime customers each month for a subscription fee.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

i would rather they make War free, its a better game.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

i was wrong

They should. I'd play them both if they were, just like I'll be playing SWTOR cuz it's free. The content that's there isn't enough to keep my interested long-term, but since it's free, that's fine. I'm not paying a sub to keep up something I don't really want, I'll pop in, contribute to the community and economy for as long as the storyline holds me, and move on, coming back whenever there's interesting updates I like rather than never playing/never coming back at all. 

It will be nice to play because you want to, and not because your sub obligates you to.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."