Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are guild websites/forums becoming a thing of the past?

2»

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

You don't really need a website or forum to organize your guild for something like you use to. Raids and rare spawns are a lot more accessible today due to instancing and short respawn settings. Most dungeons/raids limit the amount of people you can bring anyways, so you can't get the whole guild together to do the kind of 100+ man raids you would see in EQ and such.

Some games are also just incorporating pretty decent guild/raid tools ingame, like in EQ2. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Some good points made in the thread. 

One regarding the need for coordinated communication.  Many titles are more solo experiences, so there's no real need to keep in sync with other players all that much.  I recall in EVE almost every corporation from large to small heavily relied on their website to keep players informed of the daily situation, particularly with regards to hostile actions and even coordinated manufacturing.  Most MMO's today just don't require this much.

Another of course is the many new tools available to communicate with, lots of it happens through voice coms now and there's no need to read a forum.

As someone else mentioned, time spent reading/posting in forums is time spent away from playing their favorite game and I had sort of forgotten not everyone get's to do the bulk of their posting during working hours like I do.  image   But I actually post during my free time as well, but I enjoy it more so that makes sense.  But I do most of here rather than on guild forums, never enough active conversations  there and guild forums tend to stifle any spirited discussions quite quickly. (for good reason, peace and harmony you know)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

OP..  great observaton and something I have notice over the years..  I grew up on EQ1 since 1999 and have notice the decline in true guild involvement and social fun..  Back in the day, we always had a rather busy guild forum rather it be about game stuff, or people just chatting about nonscense..  You would think with today's facebook/twitter, that it would actually help the guild into building a community.. but that doesn't seem to be the case..  In general people just "use" the guild tag for raiding purposes, and this shows in their lack of guild website involvement or desire to build it..  I'd probably say I haven't been in a true social guild since my SWG days (2005?)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I think the answer might be obvious as to why it is dwindling>>>longevity.

The latest run of games over the last 5 years have started to die out in mere months after release and there has been no sign that trend will change.

This almost ties in to the Wow thread that is going right now.WHen you have a large majority of the entire player base come from one game [WOW] you have the make up and reason why games die off so fast.Gamers tend to have a very hard time to let go of their old game.This means you get a few million trying every new game that comes out and if that game can't hold a large player base they quickly jump ship and go back to Wow.

Create a solo game and there is no need for a guild or any interaction,really it is a contradiction to the term MMO.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I think it depends on the game.  In some games, guilds are not useful like they were.  In others, communications and management tools are built-in to the client.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Mostly i've found Guild websites to be a bit of a waste of time, often boring and lacking in any kind of useful content, i think most games now have managed to 'do away' with the need for those kinds of things,  in Eve for instance, you have an ingame calendar for future events etc, a corp/alliance message board, in game, and, for all else, there is either Ventrilo or Teamspeak, which for fleet ops etc, is a necessity, external websites really are mostly just for killboards. I don't know of any games currently that guild websites actually provide a worthwhile function.image

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

Guilds just aren't needed these days, given the soloability of present-day MMOs.  Thank god, too!  Guilds seem to be full of people constantly whining for someone to power-level them, and pleading for someone to give them gear.  Then there's the little cliques and the never-ending, trivial dramas that plague guilds.  It's bloody annoying just watching it in Guild Chat, never mind going to a website and having to read all the mindless babble and posturing.  Thanks, but no thanks.

The Guild game mechanic is not the reason for these problems.  If you ever get a chance to play an MMORPG that has emphasis on community and teamwork, you will quickly notice something.  In games like this, you get more mature, intelligent and cooperative players who are looking for a community and team gameplay

I know - I was there, 12 years ago or more.  It was indeed a very nice time to be gaming, but then it all went rapidly downhill.  Those days are long gone, and they're never coming back.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

I stopped using guild forums because they're a prime target for hackers.