Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Arenanet remain true to their vision ?

AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

GW2 release is getting closer but still 4 weeks to go.
And since last BWE the number of threads which want to change minor or major core features of GW2 according to older MMO's even before release is growing.

If you don't believe me, here are some sample threads:
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358782/Dungeon-finder-poll.html
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358699/GW2-needs-one-thing-to-make-WvW-as-fun-and-as-rewarding-as-DAoCs.html
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358849/No-mods-allowed-in-GW2.html
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358722/Poll-Do-you-think-GW2-should-have-mounts.html
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358621/Poll-Do-you-prefer-PvPing-with-or-without-a-downed-mechanic.html

I am somehow worried about many of those changes and the intensity people ask for them. I have seen the same in other MMOs and many times the developers gave in to those requests sooner or later changing their game into a totally different game loosing it's own characteristics.

As I have no personal experience with Arenanet what do those people who played e.g. GW1 before think ? What are you experiences ? Does Arenanet stay true to their vision or not ? And what do those people who have no experience with Arenanet guess ?

Comments

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Dumbest thing IMO a developer can do is listening to lazy whiners.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Dungeon Finder (or rather, a better group finding tool) and Mounts will certainly be added at some point, and that definitely doesn't break any ANet promises and remains true to their vision.

But:

DAoC like power ladder for PvP won't happen. It would negate their stance on player skill based PvP.

UI mods won't happen. Play the game, not the UI.

Downing state is here to stay. It's part of the core game mechanics, removing it would imbalance the game and lessen the usefulness of several classes.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

What is it with silly poll options lately..sigh

Anyways, My 2 cents is they will do what brings in the money if they wanted to "stay true to their vision" of being "the best mmorpg"

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Anthur

GW2 release is getting closer but still 4 weeks to go.
    And since last BWE the number of threads which want to change minor or major core features of GW2 according to older MMO's even before release is growing.

If you don't believe me, here are some sample threads:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358782/Dungeon-finder-poll.html
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358699/GW2-needs-one-thing-to-make-WvW-as-fun-and-as-rewarding-as-DAoCs.html
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358849/No-mods-allowed-in-GW2.html
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358722/Poll-Do-you-think-GW2-should-have-mounts.html
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358621/Poll-Do-you-prefer-PvPing-with-or-without-a-downed-mechanic.html

I am somehow worried about many of those changes and the intensity people ask for them. I have seen the same in other MMOs and many times the developers gave in to those requests sooner or later changing their game into a totally different game loosing it's own characteristics.

As I have no personal experience with Arenanet what do those people who played e.g. GW1 before think ? What are you experiences ? Does Arenanet stay true to their vision or not ? And what do those people who have no experience with Arenanet guess ?

-A better grouping tool is certainly needed but it's not essential

-There is absolutely no way that they'll add any kind of power progression in PVP, that would go against everything GW2 stands for

-Mods won't be allowed and they aren't needed either. I suspect texmod will make a return in GW2, allowing some customization but not the same as in other MMOs where the UI gives advantages over other people

-Mounts aren't needed due to the waypoint system. They've already stated that they want to add mounts BUT they don't want them just as speed buffs that appear/disappear out of thin air, that's not even immersive in any way

-Downed mechanic will stay, although I would want it to be removed from sPVP, or give a downed player the option to "die" so he can respawn instead of waiting in the downed state

The only change Anet already made that I completely disagree with is the difficulty decrease... I hope they can balance it better at release.

Overall I don't think any loud mouths can drastically affect the game. Anet will stay true to their vision.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Ill say that Mounts will never be added. Why would they add mounts when they have the ability to add more waypoints if needed and their entire world experience is based on finding various points of interest and dynamic events?

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by seridan 

-Downed mechanic will stay, although I would want it to be removed from sPVP, or give a downed player the option to "die" so he can respawn instead of waiting in the downed state

Roll a warrior :)

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vengeance

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Please discuss the different modification requests/suggestions in the corresponding threads. Otherwise this will loose any direction/purpose. I agree though that some are of the examples are more and some a less vision relevant.

And if you are not interested in the topic, you do not have to vote. ;)

Thanks for the answers so far. Keep going.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Not a one of those topics is anything new. We were hearing about them in BWE 1.

A lot of players have clamored for a "give up and die" option in downed state...if Anet can make a way to keep it from being used to cheat players out of Finish Him! credit, I suspect it will come in. Downed will not be removed from pvp though.

There's no use for mounts. I just can't say it any more clearly. There is no purpose for which a mount is necessary.

A dungeon finder might be made...more likely might be an LFG channel.

There will be no addons allowed, nor should there be. Anet has said in an interview something that I have always felt: if the community feels a specific addon is needed to enjoy the game, it means the dev team hasn't been doing their jobs. I can see UI repositioning/rescaling perhaps, though.

No comment on the PvP ranking one..don't know enough about DAoC to comment. I would like to see an AA system in expansions, as opposed to constantly bloating the game with level cap increases.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Usually in an industry where you are providing a service the customer is always right, however in MMO's they really should operate on the policy of the customer is always an asshole.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

You know that's actually one of the features of the downed mechanic? That in sPvP you can delay the "reinforcements" for enemy team by not finishing a downed player thus forcing him to slowly bleed out and keeping the opposing team 1 man down for longer period of time? 

That's why I think they aren't going to change it. It's part of strategy and part of meta. People just need to learn how to best use it to their advantage. You can either get rid of the guy quickly, not risking him getting rezzed by his teammates nor throwing rocks at you, or you can leave them in some corner of the map, just eveyr now and then shoot him to prevent his self healing and render him useless for much longer time. Suicide option would completley ruin that part of gameplay. 

Originally posted by Ezhae

You know that's actually one of the features of the downed mechanic? That in sPvP you can delay the "reinforcements" for enemy team by not finishing a downed player thus forcing him to slowly bleed out and keeping the opposing team 1 man down for longer period of time? 

That's why I think they aren't going to change it. It's part of strategy and part of meta. People just need to learn how to best use it to their advantage. You can either get rid of the guy quickly, not risking him getting rezzed by his teammates nor throwing rocks at you, or you can leave them in some corner of the map, just eveyr now and then shoot him to prevent his self healing and render him useless for much longer time. Suicide option would completley ruin that part of gameplay. 

^

What this guy said, all over the place. I couldn't agree more. The downed mechanic has a great place in PvP if people quit looking at it as "a way to prevent you from getting killing blows" and start looking at it as "a great tactical tool for keeping people out of the fight, and a way for a "losing" player to have a chance at making a turnaround."

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Roll a warrior :)

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vengeance

The more people asked for all the standard MMO stuff implemented the more the game will change to all the shitty WOW clone.

Players need to stop asking games dev to change the gameplay just to suit our own playstyle.

Don't bring our old MMO baggages to a new game.

We just need to start every MMO fresh for what ever the dev is offering. 

Learn to play with what we have.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

Usually in an industry where you are providing a service the customer is always right, however in MMO's they really should operate on the policy of the customer is always an asshole.

I like this comment and I agree with it, GW2 is doing everything right in my book and thats something that an MMO has NEVER done in my opinion.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

I like this comment and I agree with it, GW2 is doing everything right in my book and thats something that an MMO has NEVER done in my opinion.

Agreed.

So far Anet has remained loyal to their mmo manifesto; they are set on their ideas yet willing to listen to the customer. Considering the kind of things they have changed during the betas as well the things they decided not to change, I have full confidence in Anet :-)

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Dungeon Finder (or rather, a better group finding tool) and Mounts will certainly be added at some point, and that definitely doesn't break any ANet promises and remains true to their vision.

But:

DAoC like power ladder for PvP won't happen. It would negate their stance on player skill based PvP.

UI mods won't happen. Play the game, not the UI.

Downing state is here to stay. It's part of the core game mechanics, removing it would imbalance the game and lessen the usefulness of several classes.

Dungeon finders are a waste of time. Mounts in GW2 are dumb especially if you cannot fight off of them. This will bring another set of skills and they will have to be balanced with the other skills already in game. A.Net already has the experience of adding things in GW1 and seeing how unbalanced the game became because of that.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Good point OP, I'm happy to see I'm not the only one to see how every single MMO dev has been prostituting themselves to whiners since well ... forever.

I really hope ANet will change that mindset, but I'm afraid they will lose control over investors, just like anyone else.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640
    Originally posted by Nitth

... they will do what brings in the money

Fully agree to that statement. I just hope, they are clever enough "to do what brings longterm the money."

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

Originally posted by k-damage

Good point OP, I'm happy to see I'm not the only one to see how every single MMO dev has been prostituting themselves to whiners since well ... forever.

I really hope ANet will change that mindset, but I'm afraid they will lose control over investors, just like anyone else.

I don't doubt they won't react to player commentary and make changes. The Heart quests alone are proof of that. But so far, what I've seen is them finding ways to satisfy players and still try to hold to their initial design as much as possible. That's encouraging.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I think that a distinction needs to be made regarding a 'dungeon finder' tool.

I'm in favor of tools that make it easier for people to find groups (i.e., a list of players that are wanting to do a particular dungeon).

I am against a tool that will automatically make a group for you.  In other games, where the Trinity is required, this is more needed since you aren't just looking for players, you're looking for specific classes.  I'm ok with seeing a list of people that want to do "AC35" (for example).  I'm uncomfortable with a tool that simply pops a queue on my screen and teleports me to the dungeon.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

We don't need Dungeon Finder cos GW2 do not have trinity.

You just spam on the global channel for anyone wanna do instance and people would just pm back.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Ezhae

That's not stratagey, it's a mild exploit of the system mechanics. Leaving people alive can not possibly be intended.  It goes against everything that is pvp...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr

I'm in favor of tools that make it easier for people to find groups (i.e., a list of players that are wanting to do a particular dungeon).

I am against a tool that will automatically make a group for you.  In other games, where the Trinity is required, this is more needed since you aren't just looking for players, you're looking for specific classes.  I'm ok with seeing a list of people that want to do "AC35" (for example).  I'm uncomfortable with a tool that simply pops a queue on my screen and teleports me to the dungeon.

Agreed with this. I hated the way WoW's dungeon finder worked for the same reason. And people gripe about the lack of social interaction now? Hit button, group made, we run the boss, no one talks, we break up, rinse and repeat. No thanks.

A "warp to dungeon" button once a group is full would not be amiss; Although I also wouldn't mind them doing things the initial way WoW wanted to in cataclysm (can't access the dungeon until you find it). 

Originally posted by terrant
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr

Agreed with this. I hated the way WoW's dungeon finder worked for the same reason. And people gripe about the lack of social interaction now? Hit button, group made, we run the boss, no one talks, we break up, rinse and repeat. No thanks.

A "warp to dungeon" button once a group is full would not be amiss; Although I also wouldn't mind them doing things the initial way WoW wanted to in cataclysm (can't access the dungeon until you find it). 

Remember, you can warp yourself to the dungeon.  Just press 'M' zoom out, scroll to the zone w/ the dungeon and click the nearest waypoint.  Bam, you're there!  If a player can't figure out how to do that, they don't need to be in my group :D

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

In the long run?

Hard to say, the guy that made the Vision was former lead designer and founder Jeff Strain who left the company 3 years ago. Anet did increase the stuff in the itemshop a lot after he left but they are so far still following most of his vision.

But for the future, who can tell? GW2 is the best game I seen in many years but good games have become bad before (as well as the other way around, just look on Eve).

Originally posted by Loke666

In the long run?

Hard to say, the guy that made the Vision was former lead designer and founder Jeff Strain who left the company 3 years ago. Anet did increase the stuff in the itemshop a lot after he left but they are so far still following most of his vision.

But for the future, who can tell? GW2 is the best game I seen in many years but good games have become bad before (as well as the other way around, just look on Eve).

Jeff Strain left in 2009, long before anybody knew anything about the cash shop in GW2.  You say that they are following most of 'his vision'.  What parts aren't they following anymore?  I'm a little confused at the basis of your statement, considering he was a co-founder but certainly not the only person involved in the vision of Arena net.