Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did you leave?

dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

READ DESCRIPTIONS BEFORE VOTING!

It's no secret, there's a ton of people who once played and enjoyed wow but have quit and quite a lot of them exist on this site it seems.

So then what is the most deciding factor why you left world of warcraft?

This poll is for people who have played and enjoyed wow over a period of atleast 2 months.

The gear grind - My personal, the constant requirement to improve your character to stay competitive turned into a hamsterwheel feeling instead of fun.

Slow updates - This one is about the speed of which predictable content is released (dungeon raids and stuff)

Subscription - you no longer think subscriptions are valid, can't afford them or something related to it and not necessarily the actual enjoyment of the game.

Lack of "innovative" updates - similarly to slow updates but targeting the lack of updates regarding the base structure of wow, housing more hairstyle dyes pokemon fighting you know, new things that are not related to running dugeons or raids.

Gameplay got boring - You may have liked and thought the combat system was awesome once but now it just feels like 111112111112 walk out of "fire" over and over.

Other - That's all I can come up with (things I felt and seen other people mention) but there might be more, detail it in a post! Or if you feel 2 of these are so equal you can't pick one or whatever.

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Keep getting hacked even with the $ 7.00 autentacator.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

You should try the $6.50 authenticator.

I left wow because my guildmates stoped playing, so I voted "others"

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• iConspiracyiConspiracy Member UncommonPosts: 12

I have been MMOing since about 2002 with Final Fantasy XI and now I'm playing The Secret World and Fallen Earth (both of which I greatly enjoy). But I still believe World of Warcraft is the most well-rounded MMO "Themepark" to join the market. Rift is a close call but it just doesn't feel as immersive as WoW ever did, sure they update frequently but it just lacks something to make it special.

For me WoW Was about the Gear Grind there is no denying that. But that is what I liked. The boss battles were genuinely enjoyable and difficult (at least before they got nerfed), and being in a guild of 15 good WoW friends (since Vanilla) I had some awesome times, and I'm still friends with them to this date (including irl).

I have never been able to settle into a community I have enjoyed as much, perhaps that is because I've never given another MMO enough time to grow on me since WoW, but that is due to the immensely high churn rate of mmo gamers these days. The communities are unstable, and I believe that is the biggest drawback to any MMO at the moment.

In the end about 2 years a go we decided to leave WoW behind as a guild and we all moved on our own separate ways.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

You are not the only one. I got hacked about a year ago with teh Authenacator. Makes me wonder if blizz sold our account info?

Oh yes the Gear grind sucks.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I quite before wrath came out. The main reason was the folks who asked me to come play it with them quit.  I then went about soloing my way but the game just felt lacking to me so I decided to quit about a month after my guild mates quit.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

The 1 year of farming in ICC.

God, that was awful. Absolutely awful.

Guild got bored but we kept plugging away which meant no one really enjoyed the raiding.

So one night, guild got together, exchanged non-WoW contact info and half of us quit that night.

Remaining half took a 'break' and some went solo.

I still talk to some of them to this day (2 years after I quit WoW).

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• neve1272neve1272 Member UncommonPosts: 44

i voted other 

cata was the last straw for me there were less choices every patch in how u could play your toon

less rpg in the mmorpg

i did like the new quest chains in the old world because it was nastalgic to see again but if u were on a differnt part of quest chain phase would makeit hard to group......was huge blizz fan for so many years

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

I played for around 5 years.... 

I think you should of added "played enough". It's crazy that a game could hold my attention for that long. The only other game that came close was Counter Strike, which just shows the quality of WoW. 

I'll never regret my time playing WoW, but I won't be playing it again. I haven't found an MMO since that could compare and I doubt I ever will. 

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

I played for around 5 years.... 

I think you should of added "played enough". It's crazy that a game could hold my attention for that long. The only other game that came close was Counter Strike, which just shows the quality of WoW. 

I'll never regret my time playing WoW, but I won't be playing it again. I haven't found an MMO since that could compare and I doubt I ever will. 

I played it for 4 and half, "played enough" can be broken into something else such as the gameplay got stale and simply not fun anymore.

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324

I started playing vanilla WoW and stopped at some time in between Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lichking.

I liked Vanilla WoW best. It was new. The class quests kept you going. You played your toon and slowly improved the gear. I ended up with some crafted gear + dungeon/raid drops. I'm no fan of the tier sets. Either the look isn't that great or I didn't need all bonuses they offered. If you stick with the whole set then you look like exactly same as your fellow player's toon. So I ended up taking one item from here and one from there to get what I wanted.

At some point I simply lost interest. I had the gear that I wanted and then there was another new shiny ... and another ... and another ... And raiding got boring, repetitious and tedious. After doing so many dailies I just could puke. What I didn't like was that Blizzard kept changing bonus effects from items retroactively. You spent so much time to get your customized gear and then poof Blizzard changed the bonus.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

- too fast leveling

- linear questing

- undertuned dungeons

These are the biggest reasons my wow career is over for good.

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463

For me almost every reason you listed applied, but honestly I just got bored of the game. Played for about 4-5 year's off and on.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

There were a few choices I could have gone for on the poll, the gear grind, the appallingly slow release of expansions, the repetitive daily quests, 5 man pugs, tokens for epics, all of it.

The biggest one for me was the constant redesigning of a game that didn't need to be redesigned. Classes constantly being altered. Not tweaked, nerfed, buffed or adjusted but core mechanics changing for sake of change. The insertion and removal of new stats, requiring yet more micro management of gear. The dumbing down of Talents, forcing you to adhere to one or two viable builds.

It's quite sad because Vanilla WoW was a really good game, I thought. It's a shame they had to fuck it up. Just my opinions and why I no longer play. I'm also going to be very cautious when it comes to Titan, because we're likely to see the same shit again.

For those that still enjoy the game, good for you.

Edited for spelling

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

To much of a good thing always intends to get boring <imo>

However I will be back when they add Pokemon in it image

• AlucardlbAlucardlb Member Posts: 83

I had been playing since day one, running a guild for a good 3 years and in the end what got me was the harrassment my guild was always getting from people, tried handling it within the system but nothing ever got done. In the end we couldnt even post on the forums without being attacked . The community went to shit in short.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

For me it was pretty much all the above..

I still think its the best mmo of its kind and a must play for mmo newbies but for me its time has come and gone right along with any clones that even remotely resemble it..

Complete and utter burnout on everything WoW..

Playing GW2..

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

I voted other as well.
    I was in a small guild that raided Ice Crown a couple times a week and I was a raid healer (resto druid).
    I got sick, had to go on chemo and my motor skills/reaction time was effected. After getting better ( about a year or so) I've tried to get back into it but I allow myself to get pulled to other mmos that I find fun ( even if it's the new mmo smell) for a bit. Years later, after having 3 85s and with the new expansion I'm just not excited about it any longer. I love the game ( not a fangirl mind you) but I love other games more.
    It's natural that things change, even our perceptions of things and that's ok. I'm good with looking back in fondness but moving forward to games that are different.

• suu141suu141 Member Posts: 249

You need an "All of the above" option in the poll.

I was there since WoW launched(Vanilla). Can't forgive a major powerhouse like Blizzard for charging people a monthly fee to PAY-2-BETA. Considering how old this game is, the monthly fee should be $5 a month by now, expansions pay for themselves.

For what it's worth, I had tons of fun at Cross Roads and Terren Mills during launch.

"When you're born you're naked, when you die you're naked again, and in-between all we do is work, eat, and play MMOs." ~Forum Warrior #141

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by suu141

For what it's worth, I had tons of fun at Cross Roads and Terren Mills during launch.

And dont forget South Shores. I love ganking horde who thught they can invade SS with my rouge. Good times. Cata Ruined South Shores.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

well after loosing 3 beautiful women in my life do to this crappy old game  it got old it is a childs game it is a beginners game to mmos and it got old and boring  after years and years of questing  and bla bla bla  the ragers in vent going off how there better than everyone else but there the ones screwing up the grind for crappy purple gear the  boring ass raids where you pass out in the middle of them ug man so many things made me quit but mostly i am tired of this system of questing and this boring no skill combat system thats taken over mmos god it old and crappy but eveyrone wants to be like wow why  why why  its a childs game and yet you go crazy and have no life outside of it ug naaa time to grow up and play some games with skill  and  not waste my life on one childs game bla  it makes me want to throw up just thinking about it

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Played 3 /12 years

- Course the geargrind, got tiresome how every 6 months all your work was slated clean.  The badge system at first was great but they went overboard too much and now it's just queque in capitals farming badges if your a PvEer.

- Time commitment, raiding was way too time demanding.

- Gameplay got boring.  Classes went down the draintube and how all were mirroring each other or the term that was being trumped around... homogen-something-or-other.  GC is an atrocious Dev/PR/Whatever, if they had some of their lead Devs think things would be different instead of working in "Titan" which might be for the best anyways.  The combat become an AoE sausagefest that I didn't like.  They made tanking where one can effectively AoE tank just as well as a single target tank which is wrong imo and CC has been forgotten after BC.  I remeber how raids where you had to CC unless you want to wipe.

Really the game just got old.  Had a great run but now just sick to death of the game.  New patches and new content are enticining but they only last a few weeks as the same ol' same ol' settles back in.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

classes lost their uniquness when in desperate attempt at pleasing everyone they all started getting the same skills/spells. everyone got dots, pets, interrups, cc, teleports, instant damage, shields, stunns, dispells, etc, etc.

before you knew it pretty much all classes played the same, different spell names but pretty much same idea.

content became very stale and repetitive. dungeons/battle grounds just felt recycled and very unimmaginative and the only thing left to do was gear grind.

LokingForDungeon tool, which pretty much killed any need to actually move arround the world and even interact with people in any sort of meaningful way. interaction pretty much became " -lets do this-u effing nubes-/quit group" nothing lamer then a huge empty world with everyone standing by the AH queing up for BG/dungeons/raids.

• KickinPups2KickinPups2 Member Posts: 48

For me it wasn't the gear grinding (As I enjoyed raiding with my friends and it had been the same people for over 4 years) I enjoyed being the best geared tank on my server and holding that status for a long time and always having the competetion of other players looking to take it away.Yet the major things I didn't enjoy is

Dailies that weren't interactive at all....The same boring ones just to get Gem patterns,Cooking Emblems,The low end graphics (Had built a new rig and wanted to see some change but honestly not a single thing).

Killing HM Nef about 20 times for tank chest never to drop and that goes for Chimaeron also..The loot system is just so out dated and crap If SWOTR can have class drop in raids why cant wow?

The community..Outside of my guild with the exception of a few players so many were just pricks for no reason(Many who are just bad players and assume that because your geared you must have no life and I guess by defaut are an a**hole)

As I stated I wasn't tired of the raiding but just tired of the gear % drop when having every item a class can have to fully max out and only need 1 or 2 and spending months on it and it never droping is just B.S to me. In the end leaving for me had more factors then just one. I miss the game more for the old friends time to time but since G2 beta I felt that feeling that I hadn't in a long the feeling of a community based game.Something I hadn't seen or personally felt since the early days of DAOC.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Elitist and Immature Community drove me away 14 months ago.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I've played for years, Cata didn't interest me much, most of my friends left during the expansion, and MoP just looks really boring.  Those are my reasons.

Oh, and GW2.