Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Computer, Games Check.

BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403

I just purchased https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-253-OE and this question is to anyone who has already played GW2 with a similar system.

Would I be able to play it at max settings with no stuttering or fps issues?

System Specification
- Case: Xigmatek Asgard II Windowed Midi Tower Case - Black/Orange
- Power Supply: OCZ ZS 650w PSU 
- CPU: AMD Bulldozer FX-4 4170 4.20GHz Quad Core CPU
- Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD 760G (Socket AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard
- Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler
- RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drive: 500GB HDD
- Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6950 2048MB Graphics Card
- Sound: Realtek 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)
- Optical Drive: LG DVD+/-RW SATA Drive

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Hard to tell as the game is still in beta, but you'll definitely be able to play it on mostly high settings.

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Originally posted by Istavaan

Hard to tell as the game is still in beta, but you'll definitely be able to play it on mostly high settings.

Awesome thanks for the reply :)

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Boltonsquad
    Originally posted by Istavaan

Awesome thanks for the reply :)

I say that because your specs are a bit better than mine and i could play on high.So im sure you'll be able to,but its hard to predict how a game will run when its live.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

beats me!do you plan to play in window 720p?1080i?1080p?(i wouldnt bother with 1080p,been set in 1080i for years still use my old faitfull 5770!i bet it will probably be ok for gw2 ,i am planning on upping it but only because i plan to go quad hd screen soon!

(i will probably use 3840x2160i 46 inch)

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237

Running i7 , gtx 580 and 16 gig ram myself and did have alot of fps dips in gw 2 beta weekends , others report that they dont have problems so hoping it will be better for me at launch .I know its not same setup as yours but just saying that it doesnt run well with all so far and my setup is pretty decent overal. Can run all other new games fine tho so its not my setup or anything like that .

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403

Well tbh it was kinda a last minute thing, I couldn't afford a top end system so I just figured I'd get something mid/high end and upgrade gradually.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

You're supposed to ask what to get shortly before making a purchase, not shortly after.  If the computer were junk that couldn't handle GW2 at all, it would be too late.

In your case, you probably did all right.  If you got a discrete sound card (which the default on your link includes), it was a complete waste of money.  The chipset on the motherboard is ancient, and about three generations too old for AMD to officially support your processor on it.  Asus says they can make it work, and maybe they can, but there's no guarantee that it will have any future upgrade path.  It's also conspicuously missing SATA 3.

But on the bright side, everything else in the system looks appropriate to your budget.  Which is more than can be said for most people who come here to say, "I just bought this; is it any good?"

Whether it can handle GW2 at max settings depends tremendously on what ArenaNet makes the max settings.