Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mists of Pandaria - What do you think about this direction?

DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

This article showcases what i think is an interesting point about MoP - It's the first expansionto not play on story arches established before WoW was even a concept in the mind of Blizzard.

http://www.examiner.com/article/revisiting-azeroth-what-to-expect?cid=db_articles

Even the final Boss Garrosh is a new character in relation to prior villians, so with that being said, is this progress? Regress? Irrelevant distractions from the overall meta of the Titans?

What bout mechanics? IS the game getting even easier? Casual?

Share you thoughts, are you buying MoP?

Comments

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Lets see the average age of today's wow player is about 14, once the panda comes out that should drop to about 11, I will pass

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

well .. i play wow for a long time and getting some fatigue .. but certainly *will* play MOP since i will still be on the annual pass ANYWAY.

Good features that i look forward to ...

1) LFR for all raid .. finally. Hopefully they will make LFR for all previous raids .. but that is probably too resource intensive for even Blizz.

2) No more loot sharing in LFR. Everyone roll their own loot like Diablo 3 . Great .. no more ninjas & loot drama.

3) Scenarios .. instanced group quest that one can queue for .. with scripted stories (DDO style?). Finally ... not just boss fight .. and finally quests in instances.

4) X-realm grouping .. hopefully that will be up soon .. though it is not MOP specific.

5) I do look forward to a chinese theme setting .. different than all other WOW settings before.

My son beta-test MOP, and he said so far the monk is fun .. i will start an alt when MOP is released and see for myself.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I've had two years to enjoy World of Warcraft, but at this point, I'm looking for something new.  By and large, I approve of the game's overall direction with my only criticism being the low quality of dungeon content post Rise of Zandalari.  Blizzard understands that they have to design their dungeons around players using the dungeon finder (something more devs hould learn), but that doesn't mean that players should be able to steamroll through the zones; treating the dungeons as loot farms.  The Dragonsoul heroics were far too easy compared to the Rise of Zandalari heroics and even the basic Cataclysm heroics.  The Mists of Pandaria dungeons take things a step further by drastically reducing the amount of trash and the size of the dungeons.  In effect, dungeons are now loot farms that players can step in and out of in 30 minutes.  Challenge modes provide the illusion of additional content, but it still feels half assed to me.  In my opinion, it's a product of Blizzard pouring more resources into Titan than WoW.

Even if I'm playing a WoW-clone like Rift or SW:TOR, above all, I'm just tired of the setting.  I want to play a new game from a new company with new classes to try out and with a new world to explore.  Just about the only thing that would pull me back into WoW would be the addition of a classic or progression server.  I missed out on vanilla WoW and Burning Crusade content, and I would love the chance to go back and experience those eras--especially BC.

• DarthMooskaDarthMooska Member UncommonPosts: 146

I'll play it for some cheap fun for a month then slowly slide into loathing it again.

I derive my strength from passion. Do you feel that? That is what seperates you and I, Jedi!

• DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

I had the same issue with burnout of WoW, after 8 years of playing.. well i just returned after a 2 year haitus of not playing, i'm mildly enjoying it right now, due to being bored of whats out now, had some fun in TERA - Diablo 3 has no point, repeating Chapts 1-4 seems, retardily boring, and league of legends made me kill my kitten, and drop kick my puppy, and punch my pregnant girlfriend in the stomach, ergo too much rage there.

• sojobo69sojobo69 Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by Divion

I had the same issue with burnout of WoW, after 8 years of playing.. well i just returned after a 2 year haitus of not playing, i'm mildly enjoying it right now, due to being bored of whats out now, had some fun in TERA - Diablo 3 has no point, repeating Chapts 1-4 seems, retardily boring, and league of legends made me kill my kitten, and drop kick my puppy, and punch my pregnant girlfriend in the stomach, ergo too much rage there.

Didn't even know wow was 10 years old .....

Originally posted by sojobo69
    Originally posted by Divion

Didn't even know wow was 10 years old .....

Wooohooo Capt. Literal just shows up.

Poor sentence structuring buddy- You know what i ment.

It was impled that i familar with burning out on WoW as i played for 8 years (Off, and on), and i just returned to it - after a 2 year haitus.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Will you return to MoP or not?

Are you going to buy MoP?

No, I will not be buying MoP.  I quit caring about the direction before Cata.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

Just about the only thing that would pull me back into WoW would be the addition of a classic or progression server.  I missed out on vanilla WoW and Burning Crusade content, and I would love the chance to go back and experience those eras--especially BC.

I would kill for a progression server. I will be back in an instant. vanilla and BC were the most fun I've ever had in a game. Wotlk was the first time I actually unsubbed from the game!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

A story is me walking through someone else's game.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I will be happily playing GW2 thanks to a friend of mine :) enjoying all they have to offer. Sorry wow but so long as Ghostcrawler is there and in charge and so long as you are taking the direction with your products that you took with Diablo III you won't get a dime from me anytime in the future. I'll be playing a game where a: the devs actually care about the players b: the classes make complete sense (no more of this nerfing every single week to relearn a class for months on end) c: the professions are actually useful (you've destroyed engineering for the last time, it adds insult to injury)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Voted no, other reason.  With the expansions and their changes in design, WoW feels to me like just another WoW clone.  A cheap imitation of its former self.

I no longer see it as a great open-world game.

I no longer see it as a great guild-oriented socializing game.

I never saw it as a great SP storyline game, mediocre at best.

I could care less about the addition of Pandas and Pokemon.  They don't ruin it for me.

My big issue is that the style of gameplay I liked in WoW has become obsolete.  The most fun I have in game, and yes I do re-sub from time to time, is the nostalgia of running the old stomping grounds... the few that haven't been destroyed.

Given all this, I just don't see a reason to buy the expansion.  It will be the first I haven't bought.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

2) No more loot sharing in LFR. Everyone roll their own loot like Diablo 3 . Great .. no more ninjas & loot drama.

You mean the same as in Guildwars?

I said they should have done the same in Wow 2005 and everyone just laughed and insulted me.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Pandas?

No thanks

I still have 6 months subscription, but honestly I'm done with it.

Blizzard wants to focus on Eastern markets, fair enough, but it's not for me.

Pandas looks good in a Zoo, not in a game.

Well, i enjoyed :

Vanilla, hated The Burning Crusade (It was the largest jump in progressional gear, rending everything obselete, scaling was off the charts, people who were rich became poor, among other things, i did enjoy flying - didn't like the meta direction of the Lore, felt like making paladins, and shamans no longer faction specific not only took away one of the few reasons for choosing a facion to matter, but i viewed it as a cope out for actually adding a new class).

I liked Wrath - Mostly because it added Death Knights, something (along with hero classes) that was promised in press releases prior to WoW even launching, of course the end of Wrath sucked, the over nerfing of DKs, and ruining PvP - Then again that started in TBC with the over scaling of states that required resilience to staunch the bleeding, and well.. then everything went down hill for PvP).

I HATEEEEEDDDDD DDDDD!!!! Cataclysm - 

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Though I am not too excited for this expansion I may give it a go. WoW has been fun in the past, and this expansion looks like it may captilize on the best parts of the past while fusing some new in with it. The new talents look promising for custom builds, there are some new, granted redundant, things to do (pet fights, scenarios, farming) but they also seem to be trying to push the open world onto people, maybe not so much exploration, but open world pvp and the randomness that used to make MMOs so fun. 

I have been turned off by blizzard, as many have lately, due to d3 (it isn't bad, but the launch was terrible, and it was only fun for me the first play threw) and how they have run wow into the ground, and trying to nickel and dime their playerbase. That being said they still make high quality games and haven't tried to leave the pc as their main platform, so I have no personal problem with the company and will at least try MoP.

I think that it is absolutely ridiculous, what people have been saying about this expansion like that it is geared towards younger kids, or the asian market. I understand why people would think that, but it's very arrogant, simple minded, hell racist at the least. Though this expansion is arguably not the most appealing sounding/looking in terms of maturity, the content featured in it may just be the opposite, since the game has been the same arguably since tbc (just quicker/easier to obtain gear). 

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Voted no, other reason.  With the expansions and their changes in design, WoW feels to me like just another WoW clone.  A cheap imitation of its former self.

I like this line.

That's how bad the MMO market is becoming and how clueless developers are.

Even WOW is becoming a parody of itself....................how bad is that?

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by ste2000

Pandas?

No thanks

I still have 6 months subscription, but honestly I'm done with it.

Blizzard wants to focus on Eastern markets, fair enough, but it's not for me.

Pandas looks good in a Zoo, not in a game.

Agreed 100 %

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

The only way i could go back to wow , would be alot of combat mechanics to change  back to vanilla state (which i dont think can ever happen). Let me explain.

I was playing mostly a hunter for 5 years. Back in vanilla i loved the fact that many things didnt happened automatically. The tactical factor and movement around during combat was deeper than it is now. As a hunter i could not shoot arrows while running,and if u stopped running u had to actually click in order to shoot arrows again,and the minimum range to fire an arrow was larger compared to what it is now.It required tactical thought to gain distance and u had to play melee also (and back at that time hunters were also more viable in mellee).Right now hunter class transformed to a pew pew Lineage 2 archer class where he shoots arrows while running,jumping,no matter what u do arrows are shooted automatically every sec,they made hunter class too easy for everyone.

Also back then and in the 1st expansion there were alot of options on what spec to do,i tried and discovered many usefull talent tree combos specs ,that were working nicely vs various classes. The character build up system on talents was way deeper compared to the dumbed down with the no choise and predetermined class trees that are now and thats something many ppl hate. Having choises is always a good thing.

• Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

You mean the same as in Guildwars?

I said they should have done the same in Wow 2005 and everyone just laughed and insulted me.

lol, same here.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I think that every joker that cries Kung-Fu Panda has never played a Warcraft game before...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• DarthMooskaDarthMooska Member UncommonPosts: 146

Really? A game with mohawk grenades, a santa clause rip-off, and a cheesy in-game metal band, but pandas are the defining point that will make you pass? Sure, that's cool.

I derive my strength from passion. Do you feel that? That is what seperates you and I, Jedi!

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

8 years of time investment in WoW, last years i was subbed for an average of 6 months a year but with MoP comming i wont sub ever again.

The road they take aint my cup of tea, it seems they target a realy young audiance and the abuse from the voal audiance is so loud that it diminish the fun.

Battlegrounds invested with bots

Battlegrounds i played 8 years with a few new one's aint fun

Random raid destroyed smaller guilds that want to raid

The same carrot on a stick pvp grind

hardmodes nerfed before the medium guilds reach it

Cataclysm was fail / MoP even more....

Death servers left to rot untill people pay 20 euro a char to a new realm / server ontop of their subscription.

Blizzards greed has reached new heights.

/uninstalled for the 1st time in 8 damn years.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Nostalgia seems to be what's keeping WoW afloat and people bound to their online alliances.

MoP will be the first WoW expack I will not be buying.
    Lol forever @ people drawing the line at pandas...
    I drew the line when I bought Cataclysma and didn't even stay for a whole day /play time.
    WoTLK had me for a few months. BC was the golden age of WoW for me.
    I'm done with WoW.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

MOP will sell well, not only because it seems to have a loyal fan base even in the crap that was cataclysm.

But also because in the last 10 years most freshly launched mmorpgs have tried to copy WoW and came out with a worse copy than it.  I was so disgusted with swtor it made me rebound and buy an annual pass, there were a couple of months where I thought I wish'd I hadn't. Overall I do not regret my decision.

AoC was okay but launched very badly still dungeons/raids.

Swtor was a fail wow clone with horrid engine.

Tera was a grinding mess.

TSW had a good levelling experience but kept the dungeon/raid format /sigh.

The only one that maybe different is GW2 but Im not buying that due to needing 3 copies of mop for me and the family.