Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mists of Pandaria..Fail or Not to Fail.. or play GW2

KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

Let me start by saying that I’m a fan of MMOs in general. I’ve played for the past 14 yrs. I started with EQ1 in beta. I spent 6+yrs in EQ, 6+yrs in WoW. I’ve played every major MMO title that’s come out in this time. I am an old school PvE player, who PvPs once in a while.

Currently, like most players I’m waiting on Guild Wars 2.
Yes I know it is very PvP centric.

I had a strange thing happen today. I started thinking about World of Warcraft. I have seen a vastness of opinions about WoW on these forums, ranging from straight out Hatred to drooling fanboi. I don’t consider myself a fanboi by any means, but I do like the game. Over the years, I believe Blizzard has done vastly more things right than wrong. Were there problems in the game, absolutely? Was any of it game breaking? Not in my opinion. I think more than anything that a game is entirely what you make of it. If your part of a great guild full of people you enjoy gaming with, then you could have fun playing Hello Kitty Island Adventures. If on the other hand, you’re the type of player who is always looking for drama or ways to cause it, anti-social or some other half-baked personality, then you aren’t going to enjoy anything.

Let’s look at the new expansion that everyone hates on: Mists of Pandaria.
• First they are raising the level cap to 90, not that significant.
• They are bringing in the Pandaren race, significant.
• They are bringing in a new Monk class, significant.
• As always they are adding a large amount of Raid Content, very significant.
• They are adding pet combat, very insignificant.

Is all this worthy of purchasing a new expansion, I think it is.
A lot of players have voiced their disgust with the addition of the Pandaren Race, AKA Kung Fu Pandas. Let’s look at the reasons behind it. Of all the possible races currently in the game that they could have gone with wouldn’t have justified a new theme style of building, there are none.

Native to Azeroth
Aqir •Cenarius's children •Elf •Ettin •Faceless one •Furbolg •Gnoll •Goblin • Grell •Harpy •Kobold •Magnataur •Makrura •Murloc •Pandaren •Pygmy •Quilboar •Tauren •Troll •Tuskarr •Wolvar

If any of these were made into a playable race, they would be reusing old graphic textures and building styles. By going with the Pandaren race, they could bring a new Asian style of building into the mix.
This is not to say they couldn’t have made a better choice for a new race. Though I do like the new Monk class and it fits into the Pandaren expansion flawlessly.

What are your thoughts?

And Yes, I’ve already preordered the expansion.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
Battle Station 

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I think your post will be flamed like there's no tomorrow. People go full blind hate mode on this game on these boards AND they never miss the opportunity to INSULT everyone who plays/likes the game.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181

If you enjoy PVE you know that there is WoW and then there is eveyone else. GW2 is a solid game and I will buy it for it's PVP but the PVE can't compete with WoW, also GW2 is super casual which makes even easier to play both games so by choosing one over the other you are limiting yourself.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

i did what youre thinking about and this is my experience even before MOP release

On PTS they added in the first world event and new talents for all classes so i rolled a new DK there as i love DKs and rolled a mage did some dueling on my templates and did some messing with the new glyphs.

All damage has been nurfed across the board in pvp by 30% while it sounds great at first I was like damn ill be able to actually get off roatations instead of just c/c and kill. I was wrong it makes pvp go on way to long for wow for me and was not fun at all.

Next was the talents like i said I love DKs my favorite toon coming from a reaver in DAOC and DOK in WAR etc i like the dark knights type classes. Anyways while at 85 it looked great on the talent panal and looked more fun to play - once again boy was I wrong yet again. Overall damage is WAY to low and you have 6 options now at all to change your toon from the next DK with 1 tier in every single class being all about movement specs so really just 5.

I rolled a new DK and started at 55 and once again its horrible you dont even get heart strike til 60 now and you have no rune regeneration at all until 65 man it sucked and with all dps lower because no more attack power buffs I died three times when getting two mobs on me at once in blood stance I absolutely hated it.

WOW for me sucks now I cannot even fathom another login at all with this new talent system coming into play its by far the very very worst talent system in all games ive ever played out there. they have overall nurfed all dps across the board fights killing trash mobs take longer and it just sucks and is slow. Also pet battles took them 8 months with no patches on live to improve the game so it tells you exactly the direction they are heading.

I cannot honestly wish wow anymore on even someone i hate as it was utter frustration and with all the new added c/c to all classes 5 second stuns roots snares its going to be ten times worse then even cataclysm. Trust me its not like vanilla either i was there in beta for wow in 03 but people will tell you it is closes to beta now which its by no means closer to vanilla.

• Hell_HammerHell_Hammer Member Posts: 75
    Meh.

Won't bash or hate, was fun while it lasted. I'm more interested in what Titan is than playing a panda.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Really it's just a matter of opinion.  Most of the stuff on your list, to me, are insignificant, except the new level cap.  I've never been excited over any new race or classes in any game.  If I'm bored I'll roll one, so it might be nice to have as a backup option for later, but nothing for me to get all hot and bothered about.

Raid content is pretty standard .. and considering Cataclysm was advertised as having more high level content than any previous expansion, I'm not very optimistic about any ad campaign Blizzard throws around.  Cataclysm had less content and was a really bland expansion.

Good luck, maybe it will be good, who knows.  I'll wait for the reviews, but for now this is the 1st WoW expansion I'm totally intending to skip.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Go for it.

You're not making a lifelong investment here; it's just a game.  Enjoy yourself.

• konrad16660konrad16660 Member Posts: 182

Youll just end up playing both since both will be good.  Don't fool yourself.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

After participating in GW2 beta and knowing what MOP offers (haven't beta'ed), it's not even close. GW2 offers so much more it's not even funny not to mention is a lot more fun.

IMHO wheither WoW is a player's first MMO or not some people just don't know when to say goodbye. Eventually your favorite MMO gets dated and there are more fun better options out there. The time you spent there is not wasted if you had fun but by sticking to the same ol' MMO for that many years, you are doing yourself an injustice.

I pretty much beta everything (except Wow because there was no going back after cata) and I must admit GW2 has impressed me more than any MMO I have beta'ed since WoW vanilla. This is coming from a guy whom hated the idea of FTP and had a very uniterested view of what GW2 was going to be. I was very very wrong.

Time to move onto something new and it just so happens, "this something new" is amazing!

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I just started WoW again after a year break, I'm having fun and looking forward to MoP. GW2 will not have much staying power. I played it in beta and have enough experience to know. Plus  I'm never wrong in my mmo predictions....I even won $500 bet in my guild because I guess correct that SWTOR will announce going f2p within 11 months. Nobody believed me.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

Panda game for kids 

vs 

GW2

Just pick the one more appropriate to your age. To each his own.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    play both?
  • Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296
    It won't fail, and we can play GW2 at the same time yay.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• Free2012Free2012 Member Posts: 28

WoW for competitive PvE(it's not even close) and small scale eSport PvP.

GW2 for casual PvE and large scale semi-competitive PvP.

Overall short term advantage goes to GW2(it's new) however, WoW wins in the end. Most online players nowadays know nothing other than the repetitive gear grind that WoW has introduced them to. A lot of these people will play GW2 and say there's no endgame(laddered gear grinding) and quit within 3 months. To each his own, I plan on playing both.

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    Originally posted by Krimzin

Let me start by saying that I’m a fan of MMOs in general. I’ve played for the past 14 yrs. I started with EQ1 in beta. I spent 6+yrs in EQ, 6+yrs in WoW. I’ve played every major MMO title that’s come out in this time. I am an old school PvE player, who PvPs once in a while.

I had a strange thing happen today. I started thinking about World of Warcraft. I have seen a vastness of opinions about WoW on these forums, ranging from straight out Hatred to drooling fanboi. I don’t consider myself a fanboi by any means, but I do like the game. Over the years, I believe Blizzard has done vastly more things right than wrong. Were there problems in the game, absolutely? Was any of it game breaking? Not in my opinion. I think more than anything that a game is entirely what you make of it. If your part of a great guild full of people you enjoy gaming with, then you could have fun playing Hello Kitty Island Adventures. If on the other hand, you’re the type of player who is always looking for drama or ways to cause it, anti-social or some other half-baked personality, then you aren’t going to enjoy anything.

A lot of players have voiced their disgust with the addition of the Pandaren Race, AKA Kung Fu Pandas. Let’s look at the reasons behind it. Of all the possible races currently in the game that they could have gone with wouldn’t have justified a new theme style of building, there are none.

Native to Azeroth
    Aqir •Cenarius's children •Elf •Ettin •Faceless one •Furbolg •Gnoll •Goblin • Grell •Harpy •Kobold •Magnataur •Makrura •Murloc •Pandaren •Pygmy •Quilboar •Tauren •Troll •Tuskarr •Wolvar

If any of these were made into a playable race, they would be reusing old graphic textures and building styles. By going with the Pandaren race, they could bring a new Asian style of building into the mix.
    This is not to say they couldn’t have made a better choice for a new race. Though I do like the new Monk class and it fits into the Pandaren expansion flawlessly.

What are your thoughts?

Wrong.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Honestly, I have no problem with Pandaria; I wouldn't mind playing it...

except for the fact that:

1. The gameplay of WoW has become tiresome and boring.
    2. I don't feel the expansion and the sub price is worth what I'm getting anymore.
    3. I need to save my money for GW2, because that game is kinda pricey for a pennypincher like me, so I want to get the bang for my buck. WoW doesn't satisfy unfortunately.
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    I liked this movie better when Dreamworks did it, and where is Jack Black?

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Krimzin

Native to Azeroth

What are your thoughts?

I think instead of using a new race they should have updated the games mechanics to include open world events with story chains with consequences, eliminated the requirement of dungeon/raid running as the sole progression of the game, fixed the engineer profession and the hunter class which have both been broken since BC, and redesigned the sorry excuse for the three new hunter talent point choices they gave the class. Seriously, it's weak. Then maybe they would get my vote for a good game again, and before anyone complains, they definitely have enough money to do a revamp of the entire game twice over, don't fool yourselves.