Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is the best pvp?

Comments

• fernetekfernetek Member Posts: 61

Until Guild Wars 2 comes out, definitely Warhammer online. Keep in mind, though, that there are some major population problems, lack of dev caring about the game, and some somewhat significant faction imbalances on some servers (at least when I played). But if you find the right server, the right guild and happen to be on when there's a decent balance of factions it can be REALLY friggin fun.

I would definitely advise you to play GW2 when it comes out. It has a similar PvP setup to Warhammer, with some of the major problems fixed (faction imbalances and whatnot).

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Just wait for GW2, get your fix with LoL.

• Johny888Johny888 Member Posts: 30

Knight online... the game is really old but is updated regularly and has a huge playerbase... You start pvping from lvl 35 or so which you can get in under a day you can join border defence war every 2 hours or so.. Its just a quick arena match but there are also wars between the 2 races,you can invade enemy territorry.There are also a few PvP areas in which PvE is really rewarding.. lots of bossess and such but you are always at risk of being killed... people always fight for the best spots :) The game is mostly played by veterans with good items but Is quite skill based... If you have a basic knowledge of merchanting from other MMOS you can basically get a few items from lvl 40-50 quests and sell them to do some reselling afterwards with the money you gain.. and if you get semi-decent items the game has the most FUN pvp of all the current MMOs out there... ive been playin it on and off since it launched back in like 2002.And trust me I played lots of other quality MMOs.. I always end up with this one :)

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Vendetta OnlineI have the vids to prove it

What makes great PvP for me is a combination of skill, strategy, tactics, and having a sense of variety and context within the game world.

For a long time, PvP was one of two reasons I played Vendetta.  That, mission design, and, well... community.  From what I've seen or experienced, no other video game does PvP better.  It took me very little time to learn the basics of what I needed and to get the right equipment.  However, it took me years to progress to the point where I felt confident about my level of skill when competing against top players.  Even today, if I take more than a week off I find that I start to get a little rusty.  It's like learning a martial art; no better way to describe it, coming from someone who grew up in Japan and who has studied Kokushi-ryu Jujutsu, Cuong Nhu, and Capoeira.  It's just FUN!

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

Gotta love seeing "Auto aim mode enabled" - yawn.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by wormed

Gotta love seeing "Auto aim mode enabled" - yawn.

Please explain.  The fact that computer-assisted aiming exists for some weaponry does not denote that less skill is required; in some cases it takes the emphasis off of careful aiming as in an FPS, and places more emphasis on managing one's energy, momentum, attitude, and range to target as in a flight simulator.  In a Newtonian 3D environment, accurately lining up a shot with three different velocities involved (your ship, target's ship, weapons fire) would be very difficult without aid.  Some players do this, but usually only after months of practice.

In fact, most pilots find that in certain cases it's better to fight with autoaim turned off, flicking it on only when coming in for a close pass.  Certain weapons have greater autoaim capabilities than others; some have advanced tracking abilities while others have very little at all.  Like many other features, autoaim can either be a detriment or advantage depending on the situation and the pilot.  Some pilots dodge in patterns* that easily spoof the computer, but can be accurately predicted by a human pilot.

As I grew in skill, I had to learn when to use autoaim and when not to use it.  Very rarely will I keep it turned on all the time or off all the time, usually when going up against a beginner.  In an average duel, I switch autoaim on and off between 5 and 50 times depending on my opponent.  Similarly, "Flight Assist" tends to keep the ship moving forward like an airplane, however certain advantages can be gained by turning it off.  I find I use Flight Assist  when I need to pull a tight maneuver that would be difficult on my own, but most of the time I prefer to fight with it off as it grants greater flexibility.

At any rate, I can understand why something called "Auto aim" might conjure up negative emotion, however from personal experience it does not demark any less reliance on reflexes, situational awareness, or strategy in determining the outcome of a fight.

*NSFW, probably :)

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• rannoxrannox Member Posts: 8

I loved Warhammer Online's PvP. I believe at the time it came out it was the first MMO to get PvP "Right"

But that is jsut my opinion.

If the animations were smoother, and there was a little less "clunk" to the game, I would still be playing it.

Other than that, the only PvP I enjoy anymore is in FPS's and MOBA games.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by rannox

I loved Warhammer Online's PvP. I believe at the time it came out it was the first MMO to get PvP "Right"

But that is jsut my opinion.

If the animations were smoother, and there was a little less "clunk" to the game, I would still be playing it.

Other than that, the only PvP I enjoy anymore is in FPS's and MOBA games.

I used to love War Online's PvP too, and couldnt get satisfied with anything else after it unofficially died.

But Guild Wars 2 brings lots of War's RvR in the WvWvW - if you can ignore you wont get reward as being more OP vs. others. (better gear)

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Shadowbane and The Chronicles of Spellborn were a lot of fun for different reasons. Unfortunately they are both dead. Not an MMO and quite dated but Gunz took a lot of skill to become competitive.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

GW1 and soon to be GW2, the rest are just gear based rubbish.

• NidwinNidwin Member Posts: 94

Yep Gorwe.

For the changes with 1.4.0 it's often a personal choice. You like it or not but at the end it doesn't really matter. The important thing about war is the fight.

The main issue with war is those 15 bucks, beside Mythic's tendencies to screw some stuff with every patch. I start to believe the day Mythic comes out with a "good" F2P model for warhammer they will kill the PvP/RvR market. Most peeps agree that war is still, on for same by far, the best one out there, but in todays market it's not worth those monthly 15 bucks.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by evilastro

GW1 and soon to be GW2, the rest are just gear based rubbish.

I'd say skip GW1 and go straight for GW2. Otherwise GW1 could scare you away from GW2.

I hated the original Guild Wars, but just love Guild Wars 2. GW1 felt like a Diablo packed into a MMO. Guild Wars 2 feels like an actual MMO.

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

Planetside 1 (moreso pre-big-f*** off immortal-bots) and we'll see if planetside 2 folows that mold soon

• NateEssexNateEssex Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Originally posted by cronius77

shadowbane has a EMU currently in closed beta if you want to google it as it will be 100% free. I cannot speak on the quality of it though being its in closed beta but it looks like there are a good chunk of players planning to give it a try. I miss the politics of shadowbane , there just hasnt been any game for pvp out since then that come close to the level of complexity to shadowbanes political system back in its heyday. Warhammer wasnt really all about keep trading at release nor for awhile , calling it a pos now is fine but back before everyone left there was constant conflict in the lakes.

Keep trading is what GW2 is going to end up being I think personally because there is little reward in WvW currently compared to a gold badge for taking a keep . In fact the most rewarding exp is taking a keep in GW2 i think as of beta 3. Either they are going to have to lower the exp and karma for it or they will have to up it for players but you are already seeing ninja undefended keeps away from zerges on servers during the beta weekends.

I looked it up and an article said it would be a chinese server.  Would the game still be in english? I would love to play that again. I miss my centaur prelate!

Current: GW2 (almost)
    Played: EQ, DAoC,EQOA,Shadowbane,WoW, WAR, SWTOR, TSW

• GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by NateEssex

I looked it up and an article said it would be a chinese server.  Would the game still be in english? I would love to play that again. I miss my centaur prelate!

In English. Ive keept an eye on it last year or so, but it seems like a slow progress. In "beta" now, whatever that means.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

If your are into the build/counter build meta game, with thousands of possiblities, it doesn't get much better than TSW.

If you like competitive matches that make you slam your head phones or stand up and walk around the room saying "Yes, Yes, YEEES." Then WoW arena is pretty damn good.

If you like full loot with crazy battles and don't mind it being in space ships, EVE is your game.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    mmorpg.com forums
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by DJJazzy
    mmorpg.com forums

Thank you mmorpg!!

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    No game has really come close to how fun and rewarding pvp was in dark age of camelot. So thats about the only game i can reccomend if you want some decent pvp.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Darkfall by far has the best PVP around at the moment.. with the recent push by AV there has been a nice population boom.. but its only the best pvp if you can deal with ffa full loot open world pvp.. if you cant then no its not the game for you hehe :)

other than that Planetside 1 seems to be going well at the moment and is free to play if you ever had a sub to it before.. or you could wait for Planetside 2 as the should be out this year..

If your into space ships then Eve would be a good choice and it wont take you too lnog to build up a character thats viable in group pvp...

GW2 is an option as well if thats your cup of tea. :)

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

Knight Online but the game is really old now i dont think people still play this game

GW1 i like the guild vs guild and no grind gears

• ExzearExzear Member UncommonPosts: 65

Darkfall online has the best pvp in any game that i out.. (gw2 wont have better) and im not saying that because i play the game.. i have played every p2p mmo that has come out for tha last 10 years and tried alot of fp2 to. darkfall has (this list will only be pvp elements)

1. you can attack anyone anywhere (there is citys with guard towers)

2. boat combat also know as naval warfare.

3. fps based combat/you have to aim you melee swings and spells (not faceroll aim like gw2 or tera btw)

4. sieges (clan trying to take another clans player built city) and server suports 10k people so that is some big battles sometimes when its big clan vs big clan.

5. capture points out in the world that gives you gold and mats for capping (they are both on land and out in the sea) which brings people out to those spots when they are ready to be capped.

6. i would say the most fast paced MMORPG game out there.. the "good players" have good aim and you have to react to what to do in different situations (kinda like sc2 where u have to make decisions in matter of seconds).

7. Full loot! if you die in darkfall there will spawn a gravestone where u died, that grave stone will have everything you had on your character in it. gear, loot EVERYTHING. which makes you fight for your life for real.. even if u die to mobs you lose your stuff and a player can run by that mob spawn and pick up your stuff so if u die while farming and want your stuff back you have to get there quickly to be able to get the loot back. 

8. combind all these and u got a nice pvp game!

Sorry for my bad english but im not from an english speaking country!

dont flame me for telling the truth.. 

WARNING: after playing this game (unless you are a crybaby and leave after 1h) you wont be able to enjoy a normal hotkey mmorpg like wow,rift,aion,war,aoc not even the "skill based mmos" like gw2,tera, raiderz and so on.. just a heads up.. 

Youtube.com/TheNorseGamer

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Exzear

Darkfall online has the best pvp in any game that i out.. (gw2 wont have better) and im not saying that because i play the game.. i have played every p2p mmo that has come out for tha last 10 years and tried alot of fp2 to. darkfall has (this list will only be pvp elements)

1. you can attack anyone anywhere (there is citys with guard towers)

2. boat combat also know as naval warfare.

3. fps based combat/you have to aim you melee swings and spells (not faceroll aim like gw2 or tera btw)

4. sieges (clan trying to take another clans player built city) and server suports 10k people so that is some big battles sometimes when its big clan vs big clan.

5. capture points out in the world that gives you gold and mats for capping (they are both on land and out in the sea) which brings people out to those spots when they are ready to be capped.

6. i would say the most fast paced MMORPG game out there.. the "good players" have good aim and you have to react to what to do in different situations (kinda like sc2 where u have to make decisions in matter of seconds).

7. Full loot! if you die in darkfall there will spawn a gravestone where u died, that grave stone will have everything you had on your character in it. gear, loot EVERYTHING. which makes you fight for your life for real.. even if u die to mobs you lose your stuff and a player can run by that mob spawn and pick up your stuff so if u die while farming and want your stuff back you have to get there quickly to be able to get the loot back. 

8. combind all these and u got a nice pvp game!

Sorry for my bad english but im not from an english speaking country!

dont flame me for telling the truth.. 

WARNING: after playing this game (unless you are a crybaby and leave after 1h) you wont be able to enjoy a normal hotkey mmorpg like wow,rift,aion,war,aoc not even the "skill based mmos" like gw2,tera, raiderz and so on.. just a heads up.. 

And all that list and yet you fail to point out how it's the best PvP.  Best pvp is the basis of mechanics and combat not attack anyone anywhere or full loot garbage.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Gymrat313

What mmorpg has the best pvp?

Please define your vision of BEST PVP?

To me Lineage II had the best PvP system ever! No factions, clan-wars with meaning (clan reputation system), territory wars, castle & fortress sieges and a very good PK system (though GoD expansion kinda killed it). No faction-based PvP game can come close to that for me. Only thing out there being similar to Lineage II PvP is EVE online.

If you're looking just to easily kill other players, best stick with a faction-based MMORPG, or even play Quake II :p

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189