Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game for me?

Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150

Ive been thinking of trying gw2 out,  since long before it was launched. But now when Ive read comments, reviews and seen clips Im not to sure anymore.

Ive devided this thread into 2 parts . "View of the game" and "I like" . Now with my "view of the game" is how I understand or get a feeling the game works (doesnt mean that its how it actually works) and " My thoughts" well thats what I think and its absolutely how I think.

"View of the game"

People that play it says theres no designated tank, healer, dps etc. And everyone is kinda minding their own buisness doing what their class can/is supposed to do.. Instead of really having a role in the party you just smash buttons now with abit less purpose.

"I think"

One of the things I enjoy in  mmorpg after many years of playing EQ and EQ2 is the fact that you meet new people because your looking for them.. ( - ah ¤¤¤¤¤ is on, he´s a great tank lets pick him up ) and you start building up a circle of friends that you enjoy playing with and you know the groups will work.

In gw2 it seems like you can just pick up any class and the group will still work, and theres nothing that will make you feel that it would be good to have that person around next time your running a dungeon.

"View of the game"

In the pre-launch there was alot of  talk about the dynamic events that would shape the world around you.

"I think"

It sounds like a great idea but I cant see how many times a bridge can be blown up or a village can be burnt down..

"View of the game"

You are not restricted to gear. This is not a "must have gear" to complete this dungeon game

" I think"

So,what is it then you must have? There must be some kind of way to progress your character and make it stronger!? And some people will spend more time with the game and "should" imo be stronger. If theres really no stronger weapons or armor then whats the point of switching gear at all?

"View of the game"

Is there anyway to raid? (that is not a unorganized zerg feast event)

"I think"

I like to have as many people together as possible and still try to get it organized and and exciting. Everyone working hard to make their characters abit stronger in their area of expertise to serve the greater good of the raid force and finally get the starts down to kill the mob.

(and no Im not english/american, so my english isnt the best, no grandma cops pls)

Comments

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230

if you enjoy to looking for a healer or a tank for hours & raid for days to get the gear +500 strength then..No this game is not for you..also there is about 500 games out there for that you are looking for so you will not have a problem to find one you like..

Good Gaming!

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463

With every class able to fulfill any role, a person still need to learn how to play their class well. You can still look for a player because he's an awesome (pick a class). Also with a limited ammount of skill's a person needs to evaluate when is the best time to use them.

Dynamic event's are pretty much GW's version of questing without the annoyance of running back to a quest giver or crud my quest log is full. Best way i can think to explain on first cup of coffee.

In GW2 gear still has stat's but you can get max level (stat) gear any number of way's. As your not limited to running raid's for best gear. From what i've heard 5 man explorable dungeon's are raid lvl in challenge, have not ran any so I don't know if that's correct. There is legendary weapon's that the dev's have said will take alot of work to get.

Hopefully this help's a bit. Arena-net made GW2 to be more casual friendly, and to inspire group play wether your in a party or not. I know for me and many other's, we've waited for a game like GW2. But also there are people that don't like it.

Ps. too bad you didn't try to get a beta key during any of the beta event's, then you could get clear answer's for yourself. :)

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

This game is not for you if you are expecting Holy Trinity grouping. Press on with something else or learn to adapt to a new system that once learned, witll be just as exciting and challenging.

I have said it before ,and I'll say it again, change is good or we would all still be playing Pong. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Unless you have actually played a game for atleast a week, you will never know if it will be fun to play it.

In this case its gonna cost you $50 to find out.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Sounds like you want a WoW-like MMO. That's something GW2 was specifically designed not to be. So, probably not.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Raxxo82

Ive been thinking of trying gw2 out,  since long before it was launched. But now when Ive read comments, reviews and seen clips Im not to sure anymore.

Ive devided this thread into 2 parts . "View of the game" and "I like" . Now with my "view of the game" is how I understand or get a feeling the game works (doesnt mean that its how it actually works) and " My thoughts" well thats what I think and its absolutely how I think.

"View of the game"

People that play it says theres no designated tank, healer, dps etc. And everyone is kinda minding their own buisness doing what their class can/is supposed to do.. Instead of really having a role in the party you just smash buttons now with abit less purpose.

"I think"

One of the things I enjoy in  mmorpg after many years of playing EQ and EQ2 is the fact that you meet new people because your looking for them.. ( - ah ¤¤¤¤¤ is on, he´s a great tank lets pick him up ) and you start building up a circle of friends that you enjoy playing with and you know the groups will work.

In gw2 it seems like you can just pick up any class and the group will still work, and theres nothing that will make you feel that it would be good to have that person around next time your running a dungeon.

Role is not equal to skill. If anything, the GW2 system makes this even better. now I don't know to look for Bob, because he's a good tank. I look for Bob, because he kept that boss off us when the ele dropped, rezzed Jim when we thought we were all dead, kept adds off the warrior, and WTFPWNED 4 guys on his own in WvW. Bob's the total package now. He's not good at one role; he's good at them ALL. 

"View of the game"

In the pre-launch there was alot of  talk about the dynamic events that would shape the world around you.

"I think"

It sounds like a great idea but I cant see how many times a bridge can be blown up or a village can be burnt down..

Couple things

1) Don't do an event more than once unless you like to. It's ocmpletely unneccessary. So for you, that bridge only went up once.

2) many DEs have multiple outcomes that branch into multiple OTHER DEs depending on what happened. So it's possible to re-do an event and have a completely different experience...sometimes several!

"View of the game"

You are not restricted to gear. This is not a "must have gear" to complete this dungeon game

" I think"

So,what is it then you must have? There must be some kind of way to progress your character and make it stronger!? And some people will spend more time with the game and "should" imo be stronger. If theres really no stronger weapons or armor then whats the point of switching gear at all?

Gear is for looks, mostly. Stats DO matter, just not as insanely as a game like WoW. You don't turn from a gimp to a god by going up one tier of armor. You just get a little bit stronger. Your skill as a player matters more.

"View of the game"

"I think"

I like to have as many people together as possible and still try to get it organized and and exciting. Everyone working hard to make their characters abit stronger in their area of expertise to serve the greater good of the raid force and finally get the starts down to kill the mob.

There are large world bosses that take MANY players to complete (that fire elemental in Metrica is a freight train on legs set on fire....), but raiding in the traditional sense does not exist. That does not mean players can't work toghether to defeat larger threats, though. But, if you want traditional WoW-type endgame raiding, this is not going to ever be that game. Whether that's a deal breaker or not is up to you. I would say try it and give it a shot.

(and no Im not english/american, so my english isnt the best, no grandma cops pls)

Your English is better that some of my countrymen who post on here, so no worries. Although "grandma cops" did make me smile. My comments in Cyan.

• WinterhoundWinterhound Member Posts: 66

No designated tank, healer, etc., to randomly meet people

There are combo skills that could be a way to meet people (by getting people to do combos with you)..., but yes, this is a weak cause to find people. In my travels in GW2 though, grouping together for a dynamic event felt bonding and almost the same as meeting people in other MMORPGs. You may end up sticking with a person or persons you enjoyed grouping with and that is also a (stronger) way to meet people. :)

Dynamic events

Yeah, this may get old, but I feel that the timing, who you're with, and other combinations can make this less boring and more replayable, but yes, there is a potential this will get old if you've done the same events so many times.

Progression (not gear focused)

I think what you must have is "skill" (within the game) and real experience in how you build your character, equip him/her with skills, and play him/her.

Raids

Not sure.

Conclusion

This game is not perfectly for you, but I think you'll enjoy it.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

I don't understand any of your concerns. If you want a trinity heavy gear grind, this isn't the game for you. There will most definitely still be friends to make and groups to form. The game takes way more skill to play than most MMO's. Sure, there is no tank/healer, but people can and will stlil be horrible at the game.

It will be easier to tell because they will be dying a lot. There are still very much damage/control/support roles, so the trinity isn't completely gone. I would imagine you would want some of each in order to do dungeons and what not.

You shouldn't need to ask a forum about the game if you have played it many times. Decide for yourself. Personally, I think it is silly to not buy it. It is going to be a better value MMO than any other game released in the past 15 years simply due to no subscription fee. Even if you only play it a month or 2, you are still 30 dollars up than if you bought some other vaporware MMO at release.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

As far as making friends and or being part of a guild GW2 is no different and actually better than most..

Everyone in my server is my friend and i will not leave any i see downed or in trouble to fight or die alone..

Playing GW2..

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

"View of the game"

You do have a role, its just that each profession can do those roles. In GW2 the three roles are Damage, Support, Control. As a Thief I can go for pure damage, support by useing poisons to debilitate foes, or lay traps around the area to control the fight.

"I think"

GW2 co-operation is a huge part of the experience. Now you will be like, wow that guy saved my ass, let me send out an invite..rather than, shit we need a healer if we are going to do this, lets look for one.

"View of the game"

"I think"

DE's do so much more than this, it woulod take a whole other post to talk about it all. Suffice it to say, that it totally changes the way progression works.

"View of the game"

" I think"

If this is your view, you will no tlike how GW2 works. It relies on the principal of personal skill over time invested. You do dungeons because they are fun, not because it will give you the uber gear.

"View of the game"

"I think"

The large scale DE's and WvW will fill this niche quite nicely.

Though I would keep looking at the game, from your issues, I dont know that you will enjoy GW2.

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

What you said is not true about the roles. In fact, in other games everyone works by himself, either it is tank, dps or healing but beyond that there is no teamwork in most situations. In GW2 there are cross-profession combos which motivate two or more people of any different professions to work together to become more powerful.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

A counter question, what exactly about this game made you interested in it?

because it seems like you want essentially WoW.

No holy trinity

No raids

No power gear grind

No quests but DE's

reverse them and that's pretty much what you get.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

"View of the game"

"I think"

"View of the game"

"I think"

"View of the game"

" I think"

"View of the game"

"I think"

1. It is like any other game I have ever played when it comes to this. They say there are not classes, but you start out with a class. I guess it is because each class  can heal themselves?

2. I never grouped once. It was a lot of running around looking for hubs...I mean hearts, HEARTS, not hubs... I didn't seem to see a need for grouping. Granted I didn't get into the upper levels, about halfway but still...

3. I don't recall any of these dynamic events having a huge impact on the world, especially when I could do them over and over if I chose...

4. For a game that isn't tied down by gear, I seem to recall each quest reward I got, from the story quest that is, was a piece of gear...

5. I certainly hope so, because if the dynamic events were any indication then it is zerg city.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

"View of the game"

"I think"

You still need a great group to complete any dungeon, the real difference is that you need no specific class and that you have to change fast between roles in combat. Players wont be known as good tanks but as good warriors instead, but there is plenty of group mechanics in the game. however the people saying what you quote mainly played the open world and mostly in lvl 1-15. That is like judging the group mechanics of EQ2 after only seeing Antonica...

"View of the game"

"I think"

The DEs is basically another way to handle questgiving without questhubs. It does indeed becomes a bit annoying in the noob area but once yopu are past that and realize how fun exploration is the game will be more that you go around and explore stuff, while you jump in when a DE that seems interesting happens. No way I would rebuild the same bridge a bunch of times, once I done that chain I just go somewhere else. The best with DEs is that while you still are questing there is a different feel to most of them, besides the heart quests which more or less are regular quests.

"View of the game"

" I think"

You switch gear a lot while you level up but to get the top tier gear after you leveled up is really fast. While specific sets for specific builds might be some work to find the endgame just ain´t about gear. Instead you becomes better as you play, many of the first MMOs used this tactics and it works even though it ain´t work for all players. If you constantly only look for the next tier raidgear this ain´t a game for you.

"View of the game"

"I think"

Larger guilds will go up against the endgame bosses in places like Orr, the only difference is that it ain´t instanced and you can't stop someone from joining,but all the best PvE guilds will still use vent and plenty of tactics to down those bosses.

I can only say that you should try it out for yourself and make your own judgement, but even if the game actually had those flaws (which it really doesn't beside the balanced lvl 80 gear if you call that a flaw) it would still be worth 60 bucks.

I play most singleplayer games 1-3 weeks before I tire of them, not sure how long you play yours but you should still be able to put in a month or 2 in the game even if the endgame ain´t for you.

Then again, there will be free trials.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

There are some great videos out there to give you a feel for the game. Insane amount really.

I would suggest viewing some of those to get an idea if the game will be for you or not.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

it seems to me you want WOW without the WOW lore or just WOW. I agree with what others have asked, what made you interested in guild wars 2 enough to ask the question? Did you hear it from a fan or did you just fall prey to all marketing? Anyways, guild wars 2 is designed to be anti-WoW in most of the mechanics.

guild wars 2 has no sub fee, so you can buy the game and think of it as a single player game while you play your favorite WoW or WoW-clone to get the raiding  you might want.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Slampig

1. It is like any other game I have ever played when it comes to this. They say there are not classes, but you start out with a class. I guess it is because each class  can heal themselves?

2. I never grouped once. It was a lot of running around looking for hubs...I mean hearts, HEARTS, not hubs... I didn't seem to see a need for grouping. Granted I didn't get into the upper levels, about halfway but still...

3. I don't recall any of these dynamic events having a huge impact on the world, especially when I could do them over and over if I chose...

4. For a game that isn't tied down by gear, I seem to recall each quest reward I got, from the story quest that is, was a piece of gear...

5. I certainly hope so, because if the dynamic events were any indication then it is zerg city.

2. If you just do hearts there is no need, no. They are GW2s version of basic soloquests and they put them in so traditional players would feel a bit more at home. I rarely do them at all myself. You need to do a dungeon.

3. Not really in the noob area, no. There will be plenty of that later though....

4. That is only once you hit 80, while you level the game is as gear dependant as most MMOs.

5. Again, the noob zone is full with noobs zerging out single DEs and heartquests, but any open noob zone in any popular MMO is filled with people running around kill stealing otherwise and that is hardly better. Once the game been out a month it will cool down abit and not be so much zerging.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Unless you have actually played a game for atleast a week, you will never know if it will be fun to play it.

Personally, I think it takes a bit longer to fairly judge an MMO (unless it initially really turns your stomach), but I agree with your thought process.

Funny, I just responded to another thread where the OP called another MMO an abomination after implying he never even tried it.  I think this, in itself, is one of the real problems that gets in the way of real conversation here.  People harping onto an extreme opinion of a game w/o even really playing the damn thing for a sufficient time.

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342
    Originally posted by Slampig

This misses the point so hard I might just cry......

1) They call them professions to remove yourself from the idea that a class has to perform a role.

2) Sweet Zombie Jesuz, Hearts are NOT quest hubs. Just something to do while getting to DE's

3) True. This becomes less and less so once you progress, but still, I agree.

4) You can get gear from almost any soucre. Getting gear from the personal quests /= gear dependant game.

5) Why is "Zerg" such a nasty term? I think the chaos of a full scale battle is the best reresentation.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Personally, I think it takes a bit longer to fairly judge an MMO (unless it initially really turns your stomach), but I agree with your thought process.

Funny, I just responded to another thread where the OP called another MMO an abomination after implying he never even tried it.  I think this, in itself, is one of the real problems that gets in the way of real conversation here.  People harping onto an extreme opinion of a game w/o even really playing the damn thing for a sufficient time.

For many of the more popular games there is so much footage out there you could actually watch it and make a determination if the game would be for you wihout ever having played it. So it can really depend on what the player has done research wise.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• KickinPups2KickinPups2 Member Posts: 48

Ill do you a favor and break down some answer for you by your questions.

1)People that play it says theres no designated tank, healer, dps etc. And everyone is kinda minding their own buisness doing what their class can/is supposed to do.. Instead of really having a role in the party you just smash buttons now with abit less purpose

A)This is correct "No holy trinity" However some classes do tank better then others..I.E a Warrior speced into shield with Defense Talents and Tactiques...Will obviously be better then a Element in Fire Magic (Yet a Element could spec into Earth magic and Arc Power and actually tank very well) As for button smashing Im pretty sure every game is like that no matter what..However weapon switching is very viable and some classes are tougher to play then others..I.E Element to a Guardian..Switching between abilites can get tiring.

2)In gw2 it seems like you can just pick up any class and the group will still work, and theres nothing that will make you feel that it would be good to have that person around next time your running a dungeon?

A)This is true I can say from someone who did make it level 41 and was able to try Ascalon dungeon it's a great Mechanic to the game not needing any (Trinity).

3)It sounds like a great idea but I cant see how many times a bridge can be blown up or a village can be burnt down..?

A) I have seen this asked a lot..First and foremost most the people stating it's the same never made it pass level 10.Like all games you need to make it past the entry to see what it's all about but in G2 case it's not.See most the people making comments such as "it's just like WAR etc etc and Rift" There 100% wrong see when beta launched there was 100's of people in that zone so when a event poped up everyone ran to it..Now if there wasn't anyone there to stop it (which I witnessed late at night.I.E The human side where you kill worms put out fires and help corn. If you weren't to do that then a gang of raiders show up. Now if you don't stop them they take over the farm then the bridge then the town.It honestly gets even crazier as you level up. Whole zones get controlled and you have to team together to stop it.The funniest thing I heard people complain about was that  it was "hard to solo" Making people group up in my idea is just awesome!(You don't have to but it makes it worth while)

3)So,what is it then you must have? There must be some kind of way to progress your character and make it stronger!? And some people will spend more time with the game and "should" imo be stronger. If theres really no stronger weapons or armor then whats the point of switching gear at all

A)Great ? first and foremost I had the same question..And the answer is Yes there is PLENTY! First and fore most Trait points..(No matter if everyone is level 80 PvP on WvW if your level 5 you don't have traits therefore your dmg is @ the minimal level 80.Skill points lets you get skills..Granted the stats are "restricted" but you need to understand there "restricted" to a cap.So If I was level 5 and the "minimal" HP for a warrior in WvW is 10k that's what I would have. Now if I was level 80 and the "max"  I could get with gear is 16k then I would have a clear advantage over others.It's not a major win adv but it's still a Adv.So there is full reasons to level

4)Is there anyway to raid? (that is not a unorganized zerg feast event)

A)This has been asked over and over again..Yes and Yes there is plenty of "raiding" now you need to consider what raiding is. As a old MMO player Raiding use to be 100 of us taking on Sidi in DAOC or DF. Yet G2 Does it diffrent. They released more info there is "actually a raid zone of major bosses and events" Everyone is hostile to you and "according to ANET" you will need friends to compete in this zone (Sounds like raids to me) Now there is also dungeons. There are 4 level 80 dungeons and two variations. So a total of 8 dungeons at release isn't bad for end game. The types are normal (Puggable sometimes since no one has done the end can't really say)Explorable  "Always" changing there is a website I believe Baliasta's that has done the math and there is a variable of around 20 diffrent encounters per dungeon so @ 20x4 that's 80 diffrent ways you could encounter a level 80 explorable dungeons.

On a Personal note I can say I played the Ascalon level 30 dungeon it was just amazing..If you didn't wipe a few times or loose half your group in a encounter you weren't doing it right. Not to mention the puzzles traps in dungeons just make it fun and non linear.

I also was Skeptic of G2..Honestly I heared of it but I matched it with G1 and honestly not a fan of G1 so i said blah..Yet after play WoW for years and the same old boring raids in the same style except instead of 20 mins to kill the boss we get 15..Instead of standing in two spots not to die we get one through progession..I got bored left and was searching for a MMO...I tried SWOTR to 50 with 3 level 70 ranked players but after 3 months The game lost it's lusted..Tera was just as boring with it's horrible graphics and PvP was a joke and well PvE....yea.... Yet for me G2 set something apart from other games...It honestly feels like the devs use to in old games DAOC/EQ where they cared about there player base and not trying to go head to head with the Elephant in the room (Blizzard) I would say give it a try and what's the worse you spent $60 Euro on a game that's F2P. I would sya give it a shot! I did and now I want to play all the time

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Wickedjell

For many of the more popular games there is so much footage out there you could actually watch it and make a determination if the game would be for you wihout ever having played it. So it can really depend on what the player has done research wise.

Yep  good enough determination for oneself.  But to go and spout off on opinions of the gameplay without even playing it is a bit preseumptous I think.

• Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150

OK ty all for some very nice inputs! Gave me some answers I was looking for. Im now convinced, and will try out the game.

(ps. Im an old EQ1/EQ2 veteran and for me to go to WoW would be a spiritual suicide)

Thx and see you all ingame