Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR $29.95 at Wal-mart.............

................wonder if its enough to boost sales, or will just make it more obvious that EA is desperate to move copies?

I bet TOR will be $9.95 by the end of the year.    

Dont mean to bash the game but I did buy the CE for $150 and a month later it went up on the shelve to collect dust and remind me of broken dreams of a would-could-have-been new AAA mmo with the SW IP.   

My only regret other than buying the CE, is not playing SWG back in the day. Sigh.

Oh well, at least The Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been and SWG's spiritual successor.

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I saw 2 copies at the local gamestop for 9.99, the guy said they'd had those 2 copies since march and had no plans to order more.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104

Ouch, thats pretty sad.

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Well.. SWTOR is 11 euros (!) right now on g2play. It's the secret deal at the top of the page.

(Not sure what the amount would be in dollars)

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

All kinds of signs at the state of this game, even my guild (of 350+ members) acitivy is basically nonexistent now and most has moved onto other games. I remember a couple months after Star Trek Online went live I found a CE box in a bargain bin for $14 (I think they were normally $89), and I grabbed it and played that game for a week and never logged in again (even after it went F2P). Early signs like that really should tell you something, along with EA's stock, and the mass layoffs.

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

You know some of us liked SWG even in it's NGE incarnation because contrary to what some say much of the sandbox remained. We were happy there but now many SWG exiles like me smile when we hear about SWTORs woes.

Why, last year the SWTOR fanbois came to our boards spewing garbage "mmo perfection, thy name is SWTOR" and "your shitty game will soon be closed"

Prior to this not many SWGers had anything against SWTOR, many planned to play both. Surely there must be place for two so different games even if they are set in the same universe, we thought.

It's like a sandcastle on the beach. Then the bully comes along, he can build everywhere he wants, there is plenty of room for everybody but no. He must kick your castle down and build his on top of yours, not because he has to but because he can.

Now the bully is against the ropes and I smile, I smile...

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Lowcaian

You know some of us liked SWG even in it's NGE incarnation because contrary to what some say much of the sandbox remained. We were happy there but now many SWG exiles like me smile when we hear about SWTORs woes.

Why, last year the SWTOR fanbois came to our boards spewing garbage "mmo perfection, thy name is SWTOR" and "your shitty game will soon be closed"

Prior to this not many SWGers had anything against SWTOR, many planned to play both. Surely there must be place for two so different games even if they are set in the same universe, we thought.

It's like a sandcastle on the beach. Then the bully comes along, he can build everywhere he wants, there is plenty of room for everybody but no. He must kick your castle down and build his on top of yours, not because he has to but because he can.

Now the bully is against the ropes and I smile, I smile...

SWTOR/Bioware fans have been the rudest people I've encountered in an mmo since playing WoW years ago.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Paddyspub

My only regret other than buying the CE, is not playing SWG back in the day. Sigh.

Oh well, at least The Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been and SWG's spiritual successor.

1.  My god man, you missed out on something truly spectacular.  Back before the NGE, SWG was the best game out there.  One could probably argue that it was the WoW of its time.

2.  I dunno.  By the look of things, Guild Wars 2 is going to have that title.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by tuppe99

What is even more sad, is that we thought that we finally had some competition for WoW. But no, the collector's edition of their next expansion is already the #1 bestseller at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=pd_dp_ts_vg_1

Seems like there is just no stopping that juggernaught.

And here Bio had the most awesome IP in the world and they made an utter mess of it. Amost enough to make a grown man cry....

As much as I had hoped it would have been successful, it looks like SWTOR has succumbed to the Star Wars curse.

After the amazing episodes 4, 5, and 6, we got the abominable episodes 1, 2, and 3.

After SW: KoToR and its sequels, we get Sw: ToR.

It seems like no matter what good stuff comes out in the Star Wars franchise, it is ultimitely followed by Grade A Bantha manure.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• unknown769unknown769 Member Posts: 45

it really nothing the box price ,more important its the sales at begin of release than later , even rift after 2 month do sale and  was 30$  at 2 month of game release at 4-5 month rift was selling it 20 buck whit mount and 10$ regular,aslong they sell theres no problem ,still swtor will be f2p soon tho its not going to be anithing new.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Name one video game that doesn't drop in price.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

................wonder if its enough to boost sales, or will just make it more obvious that EA is desperate to move copies?

I bet TOR will be $9.95 by the end of the year.    

Dont mean to bash the game but I did buy the CE for $150 and a month later it went up on the shelve to collect dust and remind me of broken dreams of a would-could-have-been new AAA mmo with the SW IP.   

This has been said about SWTOR as well.

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

What is even more sad, is that we thought that we finally had some competition for WoW. But no, the collector's edition of their next expansion is already the #1 bestseller at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=pd_dp_ts_vg_1

And here Bio had the most awesome IP in the world and they made an utter mess of it. Amost enough to make a grown man cry....

As much as I had hoped it would have been successful, it looks like SWTOR has succumbed to the Star Wars curse.

After the amazing episodes 4, 5, and 6, we got the abominable episodes 1, 2, and 3.

After SW: KoToR and its sequels, we get Sw: ToR.

It seems like no matter what good stuff comes out in the Star Wars franchise, it is ultimitely followed by Grade A Bantha manure.

The "curse" was and is, the same exact people that helped ruin SWG are the same exact people that helped ruin TOR, ALL by DESIGN.  The NGE Dev leads that developed the original SWG NGE, this TOR version of the perfect NGE, are now operating TOR the same as they operated the NGE with arrogance, all that secrecy, comments about "tin-foil hats, etc against whatever playerbase they have or have left.  These guys are the "curse" of both games.

This is going the same way as STO.  WoW clone in space, altho TOR has taken that concept to new heights, with fast leveling, on rails, highly instanced, dailys at end-game, very few raids, "hard-mode" or elite passed off as "new content", a fast add to the level cap etc etc etc.

STO was not helped until they got rid of the leads and replaced them with DStahl.  Altho by then, the dev team was cut so far, the buget was so low (they said that the average starbucks had a larger "team"), and there just wasn't all that much that could be done at that point in time in the way of re-makes for original design and engine flaws.

I remember the posts, like this one, over at STO and it pretty much was 1 of the large signs of the beginning of the end of P2P and the coming of F2P and P2W.  I wonder if EA will "sell" BioWare to some off shore concern as well?

Retail outlets will sure want to "dump" whatever stock they have before F2P and a no cost download becomes the norm.

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230

not starting any arguments of faith or biblical certainty, but, your comment made me think of this.

11 A foolish person who does the same foolish things again 
          is like a dog that returns to where it has thrown up.

probverbs 26: 11 not calling WoW players necessarily fools, but I think the joke is apparent

• troyautroyau Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by causs

Well.. SWTOR is 11 euros (!) right now on g2play. It's the secret deal at the top of the page.

(Not sure what the amount would be in dollars)

Just bought it for AUD$12.97 from g2play. Something to play while waiting for GW2. 

Originally posted by Zorgo
    I see what you did there.

Games do drop in price over time, but not this early, WoW remained at $49 for about 5 years before it dropped to $29 or $19 (expansions are still $49), also Call of Duty games don't drop for about 2 years, Steam does day sales on them occasionally (when the next version of CoD is released) and etc. there are many games out there that withstand its initial retail price for longer than 3-6 months.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Zorgo

Panzer Dragoon Saga for Saturn

I bought it about 10 years ago for £100, and did not play it much, as needed the money again more so, so sold it for the same price!

But recently though it was Tales of Vesperia until it got on the Marktplace. People were selling copies for £60 - £100 or more on Amazon, and I rented it from Swap game once, and they let you buy the rents if you liked it. They asked for about £150 for it!

If this MMO was made by Activsion / Blizzard and called Starcraft, Diablo or WOW,  it would still be selling for full RRP after this short time from release

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363

I go to two local Wallmarts on occasion, in both of them sits two stacks about a foot deep of  SWTOR boxes that have basically not moved since they were put there and are collecting dust. Meanwhile every game they put around it sells out eventually, even those treasure hunt pc puzzle games.

• AndraviusAndravius Member UncommonPosts: 82

Doing the up to lvl 15 gig.  Never will pay for the box, subscription or any f2p shop stuff.  I log on on occasion just to use up bandwidth and electricity on their servers.  Will do so after hitting lvl 15 on all characters.  Its petty revenge, but it makes me feel good.

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463

Kinda off topic, but i keep hearing SWG:NGE tossed around. And well i'm rather curious about what the NGE stands for? I like a number of other people never got the chance to play SWG.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

You didn't miss out on anything IMO.  It was a very clunky and buggy game with a lot of RNG-based account-wide unlocks.  Like Jedi.

IMO, SWTOR is the superior game.  Of course, 95% of MMORPG.com disagrees with me, but whatever.  They have their opinions, and I have mine.  I still favor a good Star Wars story over sandbox features.  Hell, I've clocked nearly 400 hours in Skyrim and have not bought a house yet. .. too busy questing.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by Sleepyfish

I go to two local Wallmarts on occasion, in both of them sits two stacks about a foot deep of  SWTOR boxes that have basically not moved since they were put there and are collecting dust. Meanwhile every game they put around it sells out eventually, even those treasure hunt pc puzzle games.

Word of mouth, thats what killed SWG, even though it was a pretty good game at the end, that didnt matter no one cared.    I see the same thing happening here, their already putting it on life support.     The updates are so amazing they really should be pushing out marketing money to get people back to play.    image          

Ya thier cutting staff and putting the game in the bargain bin because its doing well.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Its great that this post is on here because I was actually just at Walmart picking up some move in games for my new apartment, when I noticed how MANY copies of TOR there was. Like you could tell WoW had about 2 extra rows worth and there was maybe about 2 copies in each individual row. Where as TOR had every single copy sitting there, so either the games are flying off the shelves so fast they have to restock it more than WoW (LOL) or the game is exactly what me and many other people said it would be, a giant waste of time and money.

Imagine how many Indie dev projects could have been funded with all that TOR Corporate money? Would be nice for games going against the grain. Who honestly wants to see another AAA MMO these days? No matter what they wont ever be anything different, we need to start supporting indie devs more IMO.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

people do not seem to get it with wow and never will on this site. TOR failed by copying features in wow and not copying what makes wow sell volumes of games. WOW is a farmville game and has been for years. ANYONE can achieve greatness in wow and can literally solo their way to heroics and good purple gear through valor and justice points being either Raid ready or doing dailys solo to 365 gear etc. WOW is successful because families play it with their kids and people have spent so many years grinding in the game with no challange at all but heroic mode raiding that when they try to adapt to the next game out there they see it hard and quit. TOR is dead because it went with a single player story and forced grouping in some areas.

People need to face the realism that if you want wow type sub numbers you need to create another farmville mmorpg just like wow with cute pets and pretty purple gear that anyone can have right from the start. Make a dungeon finder tool that rewards you just for completing the dungeon and make it obserdly easy to level all the way to max level solo. The crowd that likes challanges is FAR less then the crowd that wants everything for free , you can see that daily in all these free to play mmorpgs now that sell items that make you get to end game faster and have a better weapon and armor then the next man. TOR would of been successful trust me if they made it easy mode which its not , you die when you level up , I did multiple times on every class but a bounty hunter and if you wanted to get that good modded gear you had to group up for heroics story quests or dungeons. Sure there is tons SWTOR could of improved to make its player base much larger but nothing at all is going to topple a game like wow period even GW2 at launch just for the soul reason wow is super duper easy mode that an 8 year old can wear raid gear.

Originally posted by clumsytoes44
    Kinda off topic, but i keep hearing SWG:NGE tossed around. And well i'm rather curious about what the NGE stands for? I like a number of other people never got the chance to play SWG.
    It stood for "New Gaming enhancement" just to throw us off, it really crapified SWG by a huge margin. SWG between 2003-early 2005 was the best time, it was littered with bugs but once you got past that the game was loads of fun and never ending, the game started to go downhill with publish 9 (a major patch) in July 2004 which changed Jedi (devs said it would be balanaced for the combat upgrade, which I will mention in a second), then JTL (Jump to Lightspeed) brought back some inactive players, one of the greatest space combat systems aside EVE online. Then came the Combat Upgrade in May 2004 which completely changed the face of the game, the UI, the combat system and once again, Jedi was completely changed (nullifying publish 9's future balance) and less than half a year later in November 2005 along came the NGE once again completely changing the face of the game for the second time with the god awful kiddie UI and aim to attack (rather than locked target) combat, which seemed like 10 step backwards from what SWG originally was. It was alot like an amateur developed game, combat was completely broken, everyone ran around like Benny Hill, 36 professions was cut down to 9 professions and more than half of those professions didn't work correctly, it was just terrible.

SWTOR is superior to the NGE, definitely not superior to SWG pre-CU or the CU.

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463

Thank's for the comprehensive history and detailed explanation of SWG and the NGE :) now i'm sad i missed it.