Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do people actually dislike Pokemon?

Comments

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by Darkness690

I like how most of the posts bashing Pokemon are talking about the anime when the OP didn't even mention it. The anime is garbage I agree on that.

The games are pretty fun, although I haven't played one in quite a while. Pokemon Blue was probably the first RPG I've ever played and I can still enjoy it till this day if I ever picked it up again. Now, I just think they've completely milked the franchise.

Actually the OP did mention the Anime calling it garbage.  Anyways I played the crap out of the Pokemon games on the Gameboy.  I think Gold was my favorite, but like someone else mentioned the newer ones haven't really brought anything new to the table (other then Pokemon) and they even remade Red(GBA), Green(GBA), Silver(DS), and Gold(DS).  My personal favorite Pokemon I had on Gold was Sandslash with the Rollout skill.  Was pretty mad when they took Sandslash's ability to learn Rollout away in the later games.  I just though it was pretty BA I could usually take out an entire team of Pokemon spending only 1 PP using that skill once -- I believe it went off 4 or 5 times or until it missed whichever came first -- on my Sandslash.  Sure there were other Pokemon that could learn it, but I just thought it fit Sandshrew/slash so well.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

I'm cool with Pokemon. And I think Blizzard is genius for adding it to WoW. It's going to be insanely popular and bring in a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't have gotten into MMO's.

Gotta catch 'em all!  You know I'm gonna!

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I don't dislike but I think it's a bit silly.  However I am a bit older than you OP I would imagine, I didn't grow up on it.  I was well into my teenage years (past 17) by the time it came out.  I was too busy chasing chicks around and smoking cigarettes by that time :P

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

I played pokemon when it came out in Japan and I still enjoy it to this day.  The games themselves haven't changed all too much but the formula itself is still solid and fun.

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    I don't like the blatant knock offs.
  • clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463

The game's were really fun. I guess my favorite part is unlike some franchises that need to change the game every time they release a sequal, pokemon didn't really change. Maybe a few improvement's here and there.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Loved the show as a kid. Not so much today. More so because I just get tired of series that go on forever.

The general concept is a good one though. I wish they'd do a spinoff into something a bit more mature, like the possible implications of such monsters being used or hidden by kids in a real world setting.

Shadowstar/Narutaru is the most recent series i've enjoyed similar to it, although it was just a bit to depressing/upsetting.

Never cared for the games though. I've enjoyed plenty of turnbased games, but just couldn't get into it when it came to pokemon. Didn't own a gameboy for very long so that might have something to do with it I guess. image

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by AesonSeth

If this thread is a joke then lol well played.

If you're being serious then wow, you and pokemon are as gay as each other.

Again, MMO players taking themselves so seriously.

I play Pokemon, that makes me "gay."

You run around as an elf killing boars and rats and you are a much cooler person than me.

I see something wrong here?

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I never played it since I wasn't popular until after I was already an adult.  I reserve judgement until I play the pet battle (if I still have a sub when Mop comes out)

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Massive part of gaming history? While it is a big franchise, you are going a bit over the edge there ;)

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

Pokemon had the best element table of any game ever the end. I am a fan of pokemon's Element table but not a fan of the actual pokemon. Maybe if they went more anime with it the longer it was out like naruto/one piece i would still like it.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

@Valua the OP....

I think Pokemon is crap. I always have.

Opinions are Opinions. We all have a few. We don't have to agree.

If you like Pokemon... then good for you. Enjoy.

Originally posted by madazz

Massive part of gaming history? While it is a big franchise, you are going a bit over the edge there ;)

It's already made gaming history, it's the second biggest gaming franchise of all time, games and merchandise.

I'd even go so far as to say it's made more of an impact on the world in the last 14 years than any other game/gaming franchise (Mario included.) Not for only game sales, but for the rest of the franchise and merchandise, and it brought more people physically (not online) together than any other game I can recall.

It's nearly 20 years younger than Mario and isn't very far behind in sales and fandom, I'd even say Pokemon is almost more popular than Mario for this fact (Mario is clearly the largest part of gaming ever.) 

Pokemon is clearly a massive part of gaming history. That is an unquestionable fact.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by Valua

It's already made gaming history, it's the second biggest gaming franchise of all time, games and merchandise.

I'd even go so far as to say it's made more of an impact on the world in the last 14 years than any other game/gaming franchise (Mario included.) Not for only game sales, but for the rest of the franchise and merchandise, and it brought more people physically (not online) together than any other game I can recall.

It's nearly 20 years younger than Mario and isn't very far behind in sales and fandom, I'd even say Pokemon is almost more popular than Mario for this fact (Mario is clearly the largest part of gaming ever.) 

Pokemon is clearly a massive part of gaming history. That is an unquestionable fact.

I won't nitpick. But, I disagree.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

I grew up watching GI Joe, Conan the Barbarian, and Thundercats cartoons.  Pokemon was too late to catch me.  I don't necessarily hate the franchise, but I avoid it and tune out conversations involving it because I don't care to learn about "catching them all".  Ok, I may have seen the cartoon a few times and not turned it off immediately out of curiosity- but don't tell anyone, please.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by wartyxwt

I think a lot of people scoff because the game would appear to be very simple, 4 moves, a few stats.. but the reality is top end competition at *any* of the levels from < 20s to the OP tiers is complicated, incredibly technical and very very exciting!

A lot of people dislike it because it is in WoW. If WoW came up with a cure to cancer, people will hate on that too.

But I think one thing the OP is spot on. You 30-40 year olds play as an elf/gnome/orc etc. in a world populated with ridiculous creatures and you don't find that nerdy/for kids?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

To discount Pokemon from gaming history is a bit silly. It is one of Nintendo's heaviest hitters they got and has been for a long time.

Originally posted by Valua

I won't nitpick. But, I disagree.

There isn't much to disagree on, Pokemon is a massive part of gaming history, fact.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

I personally still think nintendo fucked up royally when they passed on the oppertunity to create a pokemon MMORPG.

Instead they are content with remaking the same fucking game over and over and over again. Seriously how is pokemon black and white 2 any different then blue, red or yellow?

Nintendo has gotten lazy as hell the last 5 years. Just rehasing mario, metroid and zelda.

I think pokemon in WoW will do just fine, because people obviously like pokemon, 1million preorders for black and white 2. Its just people are haters, and haters gotta hate, if they arent playing wow then who cares, if they are playing wow they will play the pokebattles.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by VirgoThree

To discount Pokemon from gaming history is a bit silly. It is one of Nintendo's heaviest hitters they got and has been for a long time.

Mayhaps... but Nintendo hasn't been a relevant name in gaming for quite some time.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234

the first couple where ok but the formula is all stale now it should of been put to pasture    by now

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

Mayhaps... but Nintendo hasn't been a relevant name in gaming for quite some time.

sales say otherwise Bro

my take is pokemons for kids 4 to 15

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Pokemon was one of the gaming "Lighttowers",

Amzing? No, not if you realize:

Space invaders and Pacman got all the attention (bloody mainstream arcade games) but we all knew that Defender abd Asteroids were the only "true" arcade games...

Hehe, I wonder how that shit would have looked if we had internet-forums 30 years ago :)

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Dont judge the game coz of animated series. Its a great game and a very shitty cartoon imo.
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

Biggest gaming company in the world.

Wii sold more consoles than Xbox and PS3 combined.

Where is your proof that Nintendo isn't relevant exactly?