Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IGN gives TSW 7 / 10

12346»

Comments

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

7/10? quite good for a below mediocre game.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect

This review is more like it. It's also by a website I trust, especially after their handling of Mass Effect 3, which was completely different to all the EA sponsored zombies around the web. They gave it 85/100.

http://www.gamefront.com/the-secret-world-review/

Good review. Thanks for the link.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Mitara

My score (the most important ones!!)

Sounds 7/10 (compared to what Funcom has done in the past this is a bit of a let down)
    Graphics 10/10 (as usual from Funcom, this is what they can do)
    Gameplay 7/10 (maybe even 6 because of lack of options)
    Presentation 9/10 (very well done story videos)
    Lastability 4/10 (this might change as they are ambitious with montly updates, but the core game sucks)

Basically you have 3 choices - Missions, Dungeons or PvP

Missions are static, so you cannot repeat them and have fun...
    Dungeons are out because it is more about Dancing than Killing and somehow a brain tumour got a GateKeeper to keep casual players out of the Endgame dungeons.
    PvP is out - It is more Stun vs Stun than anything i have encountered so far.

the core game is in toruble, and while i can see a good amount of appeal for the story, the story really has been found by many players to be lacking with only a few really good spots here and there.

Overall this game is worth seeing, but not playing long time.

I agree with what you said except for with dungeons. Can't say that was my experience at all and frankly it is one of the high points of this game.

Really my only complaint with them is that I wish there were more.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Buttski

the rest of the gaming community disagrees with you.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by bcbully

While it may be untrustworthy in some people's eyes, the user metacritic score (with several hundred reviews) ranks it as one of the best games out right now.

Personally I love it, and everyone I know loves it too. 7/10 is fair. I'd give it an 8/10, personally. This most recent patch has fixed a huge amount of bugs, or so it seems so far.

I don't get either group...as usual I guess.

One group bitching over a reviewer saying the game is good instead of Tony the Tiger "Great!"

>_>

Another group saying it shows the game sucks because the reviewer says the game was good.

>_>

Truly fucking mind boggling.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223

My review of TSW in mmorpg.com fashion goes as this.

Graphics: 4 

Terrible combat, animations, movements, pure garbage.

Fun: 2

Was bored of this game within a few days of closed beta.

Sound: 6

When it was working it was alright, nothing out of the ordinary.

Community: 3

See World of Warcraft.

Role-Playing: 2

Nobody did any of this.

Performance/Lag: 4

Bugs, bugs, and more bugs. Might as well take a look at the movie Starship Troopers.

Value: 1

Too much to purchase this game, with a sub and a cash shop. What a joke.

Service: 1

Customer service was beyond terrible. Got no help at all from a few issues.

Overall Score: 2.88

This game shouldn't have been released for another 4 years at the least.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

Originally posted by Vladamyre

See World of Warcraft.

Nobody did any of this.

Bugs, bugs, and more bugs. Might as well take a look at the movie Starship Troopers.

Next time you should try not being so obvious

That was so weak doesn't even deserve a rating. Does pretty much show why metacritic is fairly useless thanks to posters like you

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

See World of Warcraft.

Nobody did any of this.

Next time you should try not being so obvious

That was so weak doesn't even deserve a rating. Does pretty much show why metacritic is fairly useless thanks to posters like you

I could care less what you think is weak or not. This wasn't any attempt to troll anything. It was my honest opinion of the game. If you don't like it, well I hate that for you. Although you will get over it within a week to ten days.

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67

Whilst the game isn't a flashy fantasy style MMO I was finding the graphics underwhelming and couldn't put my finger on the reason why until last week when my wife wandered by and said "Oh, you're playing Half Life again".  She was referring to Half Life 2 of course, however she was right. There is a definite similarity. But then this is eight years on and Half Life 2 looked great on average hardware in 2004.

Giving TSW a 7 for graphics seems more than fair on balance if you discount the animation.

I could care less what you think is weak or not. This wasn't any attempt to troll anything. It was my honest opinion of the game. If you don't like it, well I hate that for you. Although you will get over it within a week to ten days.

What is there to get over? Your review was weak and a lame attempt at trolling. Not my problem that you can't handle the truth. Don't be so obvious next time and you won't get called on it. Apparently may take you longer than ten days to get over this.

I agree with the IGN review. Can agree with a lot of others that give it mid marks. Yours? Is garbage...

• konrad16660konrad16660 Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by JosephJR

compared IGN's another mmorpg rewiews I dissagree

they score  sound 7/10...it should be 10/10

they score graphic 7/10 shoul be 10/10

they score gameplay 7/10 should be 8/10,personal 9/10

they score presentation 8/10 should be 9/10

they score lasting appeal  6/10...should be 8/10....personal 9/10

i dislike in TSW  ; cut scenes & voice acting(  devs should stop with that crap in MMORPG's) , PvP(tryed & still trying  find some fun but it is  bad

I like The Secret World and bought the game.  However, I don't feel that the graphics are anywhere close to a 10.  Your character's own model is pretty trashy in the graphics category and I find it to be rather emberassing.  The sound is a 10.  The gameplay seems to be about right as the controls aren't fantastic.  I never feel like I am truly connected to my character, as I said earlier the character animations are garbage and the actual character doesn't have very good controls attached to him.  Its one of the things that prevents me from playing more actually.  Lasting appeal is hard to say.  While the game is new and fresh, I feel that it doesn't provide a lot of insentive for running back to the game and playing it.  Its more of an adventure game wrapped into an mmo.  Overall I would give this game an 8/10, however, Im not sure if it has all the elements to survive.  Either way, I wish it the best and look forward to knocking out some more of the story.  Lastly I don't feel that I will be keeping my sub up for more than a month or two.  Like many other games out there though, i believe it will lost all but its most faithful patrons within the next 6 months.  Then will have a huge resurgence when it goes F2P.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

What is there to get over? Your review was weak and a lame attempt at trolling. Not my problem that you can't handle the truth. Don't be so obvious next time and you won't get called on it. Apparently may take you longer than ten days to get over this.

I agree with the IGN review. Can agree with a lot of others that give it mid marks. Yours? Is garbage...

I already stated that I was NOT trolling. That is purely my opinion. Can you comprehend that statement this time? Or are you just too stupid to figure it out? If I had bothered to troll, then I wouldv'e given the game a 0. What I stated earlier was how I feel about the game, not an attempt to troll anything. Reading comprehension fails you.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Bhorzo
    Originally posted by bcbully

While it may be untrustworthy in some people's eyes, the user metacritic score (with several hundred reviews) ranks it as one of the best games out right now.

Personally I love it, and everyone I know loves it too. 7/10 is fair. I'd give it an 8/10, personally. This most recent patch has fixed a huge amount of bugs, or so it seems so far.

Bingo image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I'd personally give the game a 6/10.    So IGN's score isn't too far off what I would have given it.

I already stated that I was NOT trolling. That is purely my opinion. Can you comprehend that statement this time? Or are you just too stupid to figure it out? If I had bothered to troll, then I wouldv'e given the game a 0. What I stated earlier was how I feel about the game, not an attempt to troll anything. Reading comprehension fails you.

Lol...get butthurt much? Not my fault you were so obvious in your trolling. A 2.88 huh? Yeah real legit. Hell, you can't even insult worth a damn. You're all around epic fail.

Here I'll make you feel better and rate your review:

1.88/10

>_>

Most of what you even said about the game isn't even true or is highly exaggerated. Almost like you never even played the game. Go figure...

Doesn't matter what you state you were doing. What matters is your post which was obvious baiting and completely full of shit.

...and again, a perfect example as to why metacritic is virtually useless thanks to posters like you that have no grasp on how to be objective when it comes to reviewing a game.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Graphics and Sound should be a 9, when it came to the last appeal, this is hard to predict now since were in the 1st month of the game.

I would give the game a solid 8 easily now!

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

As somone who is playing this game currently, and enjoying it, I still have to give it over all score of about 7.5.

They are wrong about the graphics.  The graphics in this game often rival higher-end FPS games, and that is incredible for an MMO of this scale.

The problems I have that keep the game being 8+ are the lack of social features and attention to the fact that people who like this game are probably going to be more social MMO players by in large.  For example, the servers tagged RP are very popular in this game, yet the game itself does not provide much for RP, or even just social downtime features other than a backdrop.  Also, there's almost nothing for Cabal (guild) features in the game other than joining a guild and using a broken chat tab. It's a huge missed opporunity, IMO.

The other problem is that there are major features that are still bugged or shoddy, and they should have neen fixed before beta  was over.  They weren't and we just had our first content update yesterday, and they still aren't fixed.  Those features are things such as Gear Management, which is key once you get about mid-way through the content and you want to switch builds.  It's broken, forgets your settings when you log out of the game, and throws your gear into the common inventory with all your loot and stuff.  It's a mess. On that note, the Inventory system sucks as well.  It's a large, disorganized catch all bag.

The chat tabs are still broken.  When you create a chat such as Group or Cabal, and then zone into another area, they break.  You have to delete the tab and re-add it each time you zone (which is quite often).  As a result, few people even use their Cabal chat which adds to the feeling of pointlessness of Cabals in this game.

I can deal with standard bugs and some bugged quests in new MMOs.  For the most part, my gameplay has been bug free and I've only had a few that I couldn't complete.  Funcom really needs to sit down and think about who their long-term player base is, and start building the game foreward in that direction.  This is ultimately going to be a niche game, and if they try to compete with Guild Wars 2 on GW2 features, they will lose.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67

There's one thing that nobody has mentioned as regard graphics in TSW is where are all the insects, rodents and others that would be having a field day? Where are all npc's (not scripted mobs) that should be wandering around? Why doesn't your over-coat fly around when you run? Why if the game is a horror type with a mature rating are there not limbs and heads flying around as you chew through zombies with your blade whirling?

There's a massive storm raging around Solomon Island and no wind roaring, no debris or leaves flying around. Hundreds of monsters running through the woods and no twigs snapping, no thundering footfall. It just doesn't feel right.

TSW might look good for static screenshots, but it's meant to be a dynamic world also. And for that reason alone it should be marked down.

• Gentl3ManGentl3Man Member Posts: 20

It`s IGN u should never trust anything they say

Any real gamer knows that IGN is BS

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

I could have accepted a 7/10 if that review stood all by itself, but next to TOR's 9/10, no fucking way...

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Naqaj

I could have accepted a 7/10 if that review stood all by itself, but next to TOR's 9/10, no fucking way...

But by that logic everygame will have to be a 10 from now on....

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Why should I care what some review site gives for scores?  Only I can decide if a game is fun for me.  If you only look at the numbers and dismiss games, you are just another animal in the herd, letting others think for you. 

Without paying for the game, you can read reviews and get more information on what the reviewer thought was good or bad, but beware of biased writers.  You can also read forums to get a general feeling of what others think of the game, keeping in mind that forums don't represent the majority of players.  The best method is to try a game and decide for yourself.  Most games have free trials at some point, and TSW is no exception.  They have been giving out buddy keys and have a free weekend coming up.