Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS2 should not be free to play but a small monthly fee

SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

wtf are some companies thinking?

PS2 ain't a mobo game..

Also how are they gonna adress hackers and so forth...

I would rather pay 10 euro a month instead of a game full of  players that are hacking/exploiting..

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I also wanted to be p2p... but being p2p would not stop hackers.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Last I heard, there were plenty of hackers/exploiters/farmers in every MMO that gets released. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

When I heard it was F2P about a month ago, it fell of my radar.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Snoepie

PS2 ain't a mobo game..

I would rather pay 10 euro a month instead of a game full of  players that are hacking/exploiting..

Sorry you're so disappointed. it was well known that they would pursue this model and SOE really do need as few barriers to play as they can. If I remember correctly, DCUO pvp was full of hacks well before it went hybrid. They wasted a lot of time fabricating the tracking tools they needed to squash it instead of having them ready for launch. 

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

God damn those companies giving me something for free..evil i tells ya evil. Subscription MMO's are dead, accept f2p or find a new hobby.

• 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168

I'm happy it is F2P. :)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Istavaan

God damn those companies giving me something for free..evil i tells ya evil. Subscription MMO's are dead, accept f2p or find a new hobby.

It wont be free... you will need to spend money..

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Derros

Last I heard, there were plenty of hackers/exploiters/farmers in every MMO that gets released. 

True, I saw the other day while surfing there's already  hacks/bots for GW2 and ready for release. Quite sad and the game isn't even out yet.

As for PS2 being free to play after buying, it doesn't bother me. It didn't stop hackers in Planetside the original by having a subscription fee.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

As Caldrin said, if it's hackable, it will be hacked, regardless of P2P or F2P.

However, in a game with 20 or 30 people in one map, a hacker can gain a significant advantage. In a game with 200 or 300 people in one map, that advantage is severely reduced, because it's less about 1-on-1 fights. And because there are a LOT more players in the game, a hacker will most likely be noticed (and reported) by far more players.

Just because PS2 is F2P doesn't mean your account is "disposable". You will gain certifications over time, which will improve your abilities. Having that account banned will be a significant hit if you've built-up a good cert list and possibly other perks.

It all boils down to how hackable the game will be, and how SOE will handle the offenders. SOE developed and ran the original Planetside, so they're not n00bs in this genre. I'd like to think that SOE have not spent massive amounts of time and money to develop a game that nobody will play after the first month because hackers will be running wild.

It's been a long time since I played the original PS, but I don't recall hackers being a major problem in that game.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by Caldrin

How so ? Do you even know what you're talking about ?  Every upgrade you can get in the game is done through playing the game.  Items in the cash shop are cosmetic you cannot buy a omg this weapon pwns yours every weapon is the same as the ones you earn in game just with a different look. 

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Paying a sub only means you'll be paying money and playing with less people when you cry hack and quit because of the guy out there that is just good at sniping.

Nearly everytime I've heard someone cry hacker, it was because they just stunk at FPS and died alot. It's a typical knee jerk reaction to being owned, FPS takes some degree of twitch ability and 99% of people hate to be owned (including myself).

In all my years playing FPS I believe I've only seen a hacker twice and they were both on my team which is how I was able to get a good look at them and then report them.

You see someone hack, report it and move on. You get killed with a headshot for the 5th time in a row by the same sniper, maybe you need to change your tactics or get in a squad before you cry hacker? This isn't an MMORPG where everyone gets to be a hero and pwn the universe whilst NPC characters line up to lick your boots for being the God of tab key, button mashing war!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Agricola1

Paying a sub only means you'll be paying money and playing with less people when you cry hack and quit because of the guy out there that is just good at sniping.

Nearly everytime I've heard someone cry hacker, it was because they just stunk at FPS and died alot. It's a typical knee jerk reaction to being owned, FPS takes some degree of twitch ability and 99% of people hate to be owned (including myself).

In all my years playing FPS I believe I've only seen a hacker twice and they were both on my team which is how I was able to get a good look at them and then report them.

You see someone hack, report it and move on. You get killed with a headshot for the 5th time in a row by the same sniper, maybe you need to change your tactics or get in a squad before you cry hacker? This isn't an MMORPG where everyone gets to be a hero and pwn the universe whilst NPC characters line up to lick your boots for being the God of tab key, button mashing war!

There'll always be a relatively small group of REALLY good players and a large lake of average to bad players. The problem is that a great many "average to bad" players believe they are actually very good, and that the guys who kill them all the time MUST be hacking. In FPS games, ego is the biggest problem, not hacking image

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

WRONG it is not a hybrid model like EQ2 or DCUO, it is a full on F2P model, YOU dont need to pay for anything, unless you REALLY need that Zebra skin for your armor. Then yea you have to pay for that, but for the actual game and all its features you dont have to pay ANYTHING. get your facts straight.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

So true. Remember like 6 years back or so, my brother playing CS and being banned from a server because he was headshotting a lot, while not using any hacks ofc.

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    Originally posted by AvatarBlade

So true. Remember like 6 years back or so, my brother playing CS and being banned from a server because he was headshotting a lot, while not using any hacks ofc.

I personally got kicked from a number of BFBC2 Servers back when i was a rank 1, because I would headshot multiple people from marksman 100+ distance and some of them were rank 50's who owned those servers and got butthurt because they couldnt dodge my bullets. It wasnt my fault I made a good sniper. I used no cheats, never do. I dont need them to be good at what I do.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

PS2 ain't a mobo game..

How to stop hackers?  Easy.  Now remember this so you will never need to think about this again.  THEY CAN'T.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

PS2 ain't a mobo game..

Let me think, I remember paying my monthly sub for Planetside and, yep, I remember there being hackers...

Why is that? Oh yeah, because hackers suck and will try and get that advantage no matter what the game or if it has a sub. I have seen hackers and cheaters in every single MMO I have ever played.

Just having a monthly sub does not mean there will be no hackers...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by Saryhl
    Originally posted by AvatarBlade

I personally got kicked from a number of BFBC2 Servers back when i was a rank 1, because I would headshot multiple people from marksman 100+ distance and some of them were rank 50's who owned those servers and got butthurt because they couldnt dodge my bullets. It wasnt my fault I made a good sniper. I used no cheats, never do. I dont need them to be good at what I do.

Happened to me all the time in 2142, people owned a server and because I wasn't an easy kill for their shitty clan they kicked me. I was even banned from some servers, fine they were their servers but I'm not that good at FPS by a long shot (no pun intended).

So many would rather call hack than admit they need to skill up, I admit I need to skill up and yes I get pissed when I'm killed by a better player (which is quite often) and I have been known to scream so loud as to cause the neighbours enough concern that they called the police. But I never blamed it on hacks, I tried to improve.

If you see a hack 100% with your own eyes, then he's probably on your team since you'd have died before you got the chance to see him. If not then you must be a pretty 1337 FPS gamer, so stick with it and report him then join the VANU!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

Absolutely. $OE's other F2P games are very restricitve without ponying up smed bucks in the cash shop or just  out right subscribing. I am not discounting the possibility of PS2 being a "freemium" (sub & F2P options) game. If PS2 is going to be fully F2P, then you can bet the game will be fraught with "toll booths" and shameless cash grab schemes.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Why would you want it to be pay to play? A game like Planetside doesn't require many updates and so cost to run servers alone are very low.

• genjamie1genjamie1 Member Posts: 56

WHY WOULD THIS GAME COST MONEY! ITS TO EPIC TO COST MONEY!

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

PS2 ain't a mobo game..

The Original Planetside had a montly fee, and that did not stop the hackers... But I agree I think they will be even more hackers with a f2p system... Hopefully SOE gets enough money from this game and they stay on top of the hackers and don't bail on it like they did the orginial.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Or maybe those of us "Crying" about hacking have legitimate complaints? I mean when they have hacks in Planetside like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tab48J-vOXE which are almost impossible to detect.  It SUCKS but it also is the reason why so many people cry hacks when someone was better then them.  Because SOE allowed these types of hacks to infect their game.  Hacks like these are very dangerous to a fps if you ask me, I rather have the obvious hacker running around outrunning vehicles or even flying after them. Or even doing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-tH6U-3foQ         

?  Atleast when you see a guy doing this crap you know for sure he is hacking... Bottom line is I hope SOE really goes hard on hackers, When I face ICEVIPER, OrgeX, TehChain, TRxTopDawg, ShockFC, Dreamer, etc agian I want to knowat  ,      , be , b,   

When I last played Planetside I was usually somewhere in the 5 in kills daily, I would always see the same few names around mines.  ICEVIPER, OrgeX, TehChain, TRxTopdawg, Palmtree, ShockSN, etc... But im not going to lie, more then a few times I wondered if these guys were really as good as me or were they using the 1st hack... It stoped me from respecting them as much because I never knew for sure or not... I don't want to feel like that agian. When I see OrgeX in Planetside 2 tower hoping and clearing a tower out. Or watching one of the elite outfits like TRx, Delta Triad, Future Crew, Overlords, 1CMM, etc holding a base from a whole empire I want to know that they are just that good, instead of thinking it might be because they are using a ROF and/or COF hack  (First link) on the DL... 

SOE needs to step it up on the hacker front, they let us down in Planetside 1...

BTW OrgeX and Dreamer, you never knew me but I used to sit back as a cloaker and watch you guys and mimic your playstyle lol.  In many ways you guys where my teachers...  And you taught me quite well :P

When I last played Planetside I was usually top 5 in kills daily, I would always see the same few names around mines. ICEVIPER, OrgeX, TehChain, TRxTopdawg, ShockFC, etc... But im not going to lie, more then a few times I wondered if these guys were really as good as me or were they using the 1st hack... It stoped me from respecting them as much because I never knew for sure or not... I don't want to feel like that agian. When I see OrgeX in Planetside 2 towerhoping and clearing a tower out, I want to know that he is just that good instead of thinking it might be because he has a ROF or COF hack on the Dl...at

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• genjamie1genjamie1 Member Posts: 56

NO DONT TALK ABOUT HACKERS IF U THINK THERES GOING TO BE HACKERS THERE WILL BE HACKERS and...

GO PURPLE PEOPLE!!!!!

• Tedly224Tedly224 Member Posts: 164

PS2 ain't a mobo game..

League of Legends is a popular Massive Online Battle Arena game that Planetside 2 will emulate with its free to play model.

League of Legends was listed by Forbes Magazine as the video game that currently has the largest number of players in the world as of July of this year. Home computers, consoles, whatever. It beats every other game in the world by millions.

You're still seriously wondering why Sony is heading this route?