Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Less useless moderation.

JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,985

Getting rid of REAL trolls is one thing.  A real troll is someone who is cussing at or belittling another person in a cruel manner. Discerning joking from cruelty necessary.  

Deleting every single post that does not stick to one particular type of subject matter is NOT good moderation.  It's communism.  If someone says something new and unusual, don't delete their post.  

These forums have become repetitious and boring because all new ideas are shot to death and cast under the drawbridge quick before someone notices innovative thinking patterns in the general public.  These forums are moderated to cause the discussions to keep repeating themselves, repeating themselves, repeating themselves.

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Hard to address your concerns without specifics. Please contact me at mikeb AT mmorpg DOT com with some links I can take a look at (don't post here please!).

Thanks!

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by MikeB

Hard to address your concerns without specifics. Please contact me at mikeb AT mmorpg DOT com with some links I can take a look at (don't post here please!).

Thanks!

So that you can just take the side of your Staff and completely ignore the concerns of the user?

I've made legitimate complaints to you on a few occassions regarding moderation here and you have sided with your Staff every single time, even when I was clearly not in the wrong.

Honestly, contacting Staff here to complain about Moderators is a monumental waste of time.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Kost

Thanks!

So that you can just take the side of your Staff and completely ignore the concerns of the user?

I've made legitimate complaints to you on a few occassions regarding moderation here and you have sided with your Staff every single time, even when I was clearly not in the wrong.

Honestly, contacting Staff here to complain about Moderators is a monumental waste of time.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5159486/Thread-Locks.html

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Every post I write, I try and re-read just so in my opinion I'm not offending anyone, and yet I was banned about 4 days ago for stating that I wouldn't have started a new thread on that subject. It was marked as trolling/baiting or something like that. 

It's becoming stressful just deciding if I should even be part of the community sometimes. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,050

Thanks!

I have had a total of two infractions on this site, and both times I contacted mikeb, and they were removed.  So, he doesn't take the side of staff every single time.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Thanks!

I've had my share of modded posts and discussions with MikeB over the past few years, and I can safely say that he does a great job of being as fair as possible in assessing each particular situation. The next time you get one of those way too common arbitrary out-of-left-field mod edits, don't hesitate to contact MikeB. He really does keep bias out of it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

There are definitely times when I've seen recent moderation demonstrate an almost biased, inconsistent, and heavy-handed approach.  I'd link the examples as well if they weren't already obliterated by the text "[Mod Edit]". 

There are definitely posts where people demonstrate a deliberate cruelty that goes above and beyond "snark", and tread into the realm of blatant hateful remarks with no real point except to express the poster's animosity towards another.  I think we can all agree that they are uncalled for and any disciplinary action taken upon them is well-deserved.

However, when a certain degree of "snarkiness" is encouraged not just by some community members, but from some of the "contributors" as well, then the moderation should be used far more even-handedly than it has been.

When you have a "contributor" creating a stickied thread under "Featured Items" asking for members of the community to list their favorite forum poster "types", with such titles as "The Forum Troll" and "The Carebear" being thrown around, just to name some of the most mild generalities used in that thread, then you're just pouring your own gasoline onto the fire.

EDIT:  I CAN list examples of the "contributor" articles.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/597/feature/6148

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/6027

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

I agree with this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I got a warning for making fun of the Southern Flag and saying the South won't rise again lolololol

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."