Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm a Ganker. Don't hate me.

Comments

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by Axehilt

"True pvp".. No such thing, there are merely different types of pvp.

Thinking the majority in arena instances in mmorpgs are after "hardcore" pvp and not simply after accessible pvp. Oh my sides.

Please... Kicking a guy on the ground is not proper PvP. You can't get much more hardcore than e-sports. You go ahead with your "meaningful PvP" and fight over your imaginary castles. Meanwhile I'll be laughing all the way to the bank to cash in my prize cheque.

I don't know whether to laugh more at the bravado, or at the fact you didn't actually address what I posted at all.

There is no one "true pvp". Nope you didn't counter that.

Thinking the majority in arena instances in mmorpgs are after hardcore pvp and not simply accessible pvp. Nope you didn't actually counter that either.

Thanks for the extra laugh at the random mention of castles though.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

I just wanted to add anouther thought to this topic the absolute best ganker of all time are the vanilla WoW lvl 19 Twinks that played WSG man best fun I ever had.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Thinking the majority in arena instances in mmorpgs are after "hardcore" pvp and not simply after accessible pvp. Oh my sides.

When did I say MMORPG PVP is true PVP?  Most real PVPers find it in genres like RTSes, MOBAs, and FPSes.  Instanced MMORPG PVP is casual-tilted due to gear -- and world PVP is massively casual-tilted due to zerging.

This is nothing but speculative. Im an old school FPS player was ranked 3rd for a while in the world in the orignal unreal. I enjoyed it and really liked my clan 4c's but I find World PvP in MMORPG's to be more competitve. Sure personal skill comes into play  a whole hell of a lot more in FPS's and it takes a lot of group play to compete in tourneys etc.

But when you can muster a force of 50 people and play as an organized unit, that takes waaaaaaay more then any FPS could ever give.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Although I play on PVP servers (i.e. Mordred in DAOC) or PVP games (i.e. EVE) my personal moral code does not let me find any pleasure in killing those weaker than myself.

Sure, in EVE where the stakes are high, and its kill or be killed I'll definitely kill with an advantage, but I don't go out of my way to do it.

That said, I don't expect anyone else in a PVP game to follow my moral code, some do, and I hang with them, some don't and I avoid them.

As others have mentioned, once you sign up on a PVP server anything goes as long as it is within the rules of the server and I don't look for things to be fair for everyone.

So no, while gankers have pissed me off at times, I don't hate them, I just work very hard at learning to avoid them, particularly when they have clear advantage.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Hell_HammerHell_Hammer Member Posts: 75

Hm.

I'm divided about this ganking thing. One one hand, you can avoid it very easily by playing on a server that's not full open PvP and just have no worries. Simple as that.

But I have never played on a PvE server, so I have seen my fair share of ganking. Anyone who remembers vanilla WoW and Stranglethorn Vale shared that experience, hah.

I don't mind if I get whacked by a group of players who are somewhere around my level, I don't mind if they attack me while fighting an elite, or a group of mobs, or even if it's just one lousy sneak who backstabs me while I regain my health. I chose a PvP server, I knew what I was getting into and to be honest it does add to immersion (at least for me). It's another layer of the MMO experience and player interaction. Interacting with other players is not only limited to trading, grouping, raids and being friendly all over. It's also interacting with the enemy and keeping an eye out for them.

Now, I did have my fair share of raging when I get ganked but I also had even better feeling when I actually managed to turn the tables and kill the ganker, outsmart him, outrun him if I cannot fight, or even manage to do all that I intended without getting ganked in a dangerous area. It's just another part of the MMO experience for me, and if you want the cozy carefree feeling of not having to worry about anything except mobs - you are free to go to a PvE server.

Now of course I got pissed a load of times when I got ganked, but it was usually not because of that one kill itself. It was because the lousy bastard kept camping, coming back, not even letting me ress properly or repeatedly killing even after he has proven that he is tougher and I have shown that I have no desire to fight. THAT I hated. 

That, and also people whose level I couldn't even see, who even had no business in that zone whatsoever. Just an epic hero riding by, seeing a puny fella in rags killing a boar - and he decides to dismount and just gank and camp for absolutely no reason or reward whatsoever.

That is just retarded.

But same level or similar level kills...I'm fine with those, just don't be a prick and don't camp.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Please... Kicking a guy on the ground is not proper PvP. You can't get much more hardcore than e-sports. You go ahead with your "meaningful PvP" and fight over your imaginary castles. Meanwhile I'll be laughing all the way to the bank to cash in my prize cheque.

I don't know whether to laugh more at the bravado, or at the fact you didn't actually address what I posted at all.

There is no one "true pvp". Nope you didn't counter that.

Thinking the majority in arena instances in mmorpgs are after hardcore pvp and not simply accessible pvp. Nope you didn't actually counter that either.

Thanks for the extra laugh at the random mention of castles though.

Hey man! don't laugh at him he is cashing his imaginary cheques. haha

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Why should I hate you?

If I play a game with ffa pvp or a server that has it then that's par for the course and I should know what I'm signing up for. If I'm not in the mood then I don't play that game/server.

If you are "red" (or whatever the game's equivalent is) and I hunt you and kill you don't cry about it.

And feel free to tell your red friends that as well. sick and tired of hearing the crying and threats. grow up and learn to take what you give.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by rungard

i don hate gankers but i do want rules to make your life ingame extremely difficult..but not impossible.

i think thats fair.

What if the ganker got a de-buff for a cartain amount of time after ganking someone more than 5 levels below them. The debuff could be something like "Take x% additional damage for 1 hour" and it would give off a very visual aura so that the opposing faction can easily see it (even in stealth...heh) Oh, and it only wears off while on-line and in a PvP zone. No hiding in cities waiting for it to wear off...

• Sirr0Sirr0 Member Posts: 55

I kill who I deem fit to kill if the server lets me.   I do try to have some level of honor (Going by WoW as it's the last pvp game I've played for an rpg)    

1. )  I don't kill greys unless they attack first

2.)  This rule doesn't apply to rogues, if it's a rogue it's wormfood.

3.) I Don't corpse camp unless they irritate me in some way, usually if they try to get me PVE killed or are picking on lowbies on my faction in the area.

4.) You give me honor? You die

5.) I will put in effort to kill off the player instead of letting them die in PVE if I encounter them fighting mobs

6.) I might not corpse camp but I have no issue killing a player over and over, don't send me a message crying because I keep finding you in the area, leave the area or get back up.

Let them QQ if you gank them,  they should stop being babies and suck it up or leave pvp servers.  Only the victor has the right to declare what is honor.

Originally posted by Sirr0

I kill who I deem fit to kill if the server lets me.   I do try to have some level of honor (Going by WoW as it's the last pvp game I've played for an rpg)    

3.) I Don't corpse camp unless they irritate me in some way, usually if they try to get me PVE killed or are picking on lowbies on my faction in the area.

5.) I will put in effort to kill off the player instead of letting them die in PVE if I encounter them fighting mobs

6.) I might not corpse camp but I have no issue killing a player over and over, don't send me a message crying because I keep finding you in the area, leave the area or get back up.

Let them QQ if you gank them,  they should stop being babies and suck it up or leave pvp servers.  Only the victor has the right to declare what is honor.

I have a double tap rule, kill em twice and move on. Once I kill someone twice I wont target them unless they target me, I usually send someone a message stating as such and they go about there business. I have even had people send me invites so they can watch the carnage that follows me

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

I dont have a prob with ppl like you. I just log out made sure my OP toon was rdy to go in a instent log on that toon kick your ass prob solved. Oh btw my main was a rogue tyvm

Good rules. Especially #2... :-)

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Vunak23

This is nothing but speculative. Im an old school FPS player was ranked 3rd for a while in the world in the orignal unreal. I enjoyed it and really liked my clan 4c's but I find World PvP in MMORPG's to be more competitve. Sure personal skill comes into play  a whole hell of a lot more in FPS's and it takes a lot of group play to compete in tourneys etc.

But when you can muster a force of 50 people and play as an organized unit, that takes waaaaaaay more then any FPS could ever give.

It's not speculation.  League of Legends is played more than the most popular MMORPG, and it's only one of many pure PVP games.  And the numbers for MMORPGs include a majority of PVE players.

And your last comment is wrong, given that there is a FPS where you can muster a force of 50 players, and teams are balanced, and there's no progression advantage.  Planetside.  All the personal skill and massive organizational and teamwork skill too.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

When did I say MMORPG PVP is true PVP?  Most real PVPers find it in genres like RTSes, MOBAs, and FPSes.  Instanced MMORPG PVP is casual-tilted due to gear -- and world PVP is massively casual-tilted due to zerging.

The fact you said "true pvp" at all was what I found odd, what given that there is no such thing regardless of genre. You merely have different forms of pvp, nothing more nothing less. Some are more competitive, some are more entertaining, some are based over a longer terms, some are more accessible. Yet no form is more "true" than another.

Given we are on a site for the mmorpg genre, and we are talking primarily about such games. When you declare one style is fading because players want hardcore pvp. It strongly hints that you are actually talking about mmorpg pvp. A great deal of the reason arenas are popular is down to accessibilty. In all honesty the same can be said for the e-sport/FPS et al genres. Not everyone there is for "teh hardcore" pvp.

More people prefered structured, accessible pvp.

Most people don't like getting ganked in an unfair fight.

But talk of one "true pvp", or most people being in arenas/e-sports expressly for "hardcore pvp". Nope.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

EVE Online by concord, high and low-sec is doing world pvp, ganking RIGHT.

DFO, Mortal Online, Aion at release (no idea how it is now) and AoC, etc are doing it WRONG.

Need safe heavens and pvp area and it right proportions (I would say 60-70% of game for safe heaven) + some rules and then it is right.

Allowing high-level players to repeadetly ganking over and over with small or no consequences = bad game.

edit: small edit to formulate clearer

Originally posted by fenistil

DFO, Mortal Online, Aion at release (no idea how it is now) and AoC, etc are doing it WRONG.

Need safe heavens and pvp area and it right proportions (I would say 60-70 for safe heaven) + some rules and then it is right.

Allowing high-level players to repeadetly ganking over and over with small or no consequences = bad game.

Reminds me of South Parks "Make love not Warcraft." Which is loosely based on a famous ganker from Vanilla WoW days were he would camp around goldshire ganking for days and weeks at a time lowbies in the area who could not quest. because of him. Enough complaints were made were as Blizz finialy stepped in and banned him for life. Good for Blizz

It's not speculation.  League of Legends is played more than the most popular MMORPG, and it's only one of many pure PVP games.  And the numbers for MMORPGs include a majority of PVE players.

And your last comment is wrong, given that there is a FPS where you can muster a force of 50 players, and teams are balanced, and there's no progression advantage.  Planetside.  All the personal skill and massive organizational and teamwork skill too.

Its way to opionated to say this is true pvp and this isn't.

Planetside is an MMOFPS so yea I could prove my point there or you could prove yours since it mixes both styles of gameplay together. But that was my fault I guess for saying MMORPG When all I meant was MMO's compared to non MMO's.

LoL is just accessible and doesnt hit peoples computers hard, they have a massive amount of people playing it but so do other games. If you gave people BF3 or MWF3 for free and were able to give the same experience to everyone no matter the computer specs...  yea it would destroy LoL's numbers.

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by Psychow

i don hate gankers but i do want rules to make your life ingame extremely difficult..but not impossible.

i think thats fair.

What if the ganker got a de-buff for a cartain amount of time after ganking someone more than 5 levels below them. The debuff could be something like "Take x% additional damage for 1 hour" and it would give off a very visual aura so that the opposing faction can easily see it (even in stealth...heh) Oh, and it only wears off while on-line and in a PvP zone. No hiding in cities waiting for it to wear off...

What would be the point? Why discourage someone from playing the game in the way it's supposed to be played?

And if that's not the way the game is supposed to be played, why allow it at all? Paint a big red X over the cursor when you try to target a player more than 5 levels below you. Bzzt, can't attack that guy.

What is gained by keeping that activity in the game but doling out an in-game punishment for doing it?

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

i think thats fair.

Better still, you are downleveled to the same level as the player you killed and are not allowed to leave the zone for 15 minutes, plus you ping on the map for the victim to see.

ofc that means they would probably get a friend to help gank you back - ohnoes im not playing now?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Its way to opionated to say this is true pvp and this isn't.

Planetside is an MMOFPS so yea I could prove my point there or you could prove yours since it mixes both styles of gameplay together. But that was my fault I guess for saying MMORPG When all I meant was MMO's compared to non MMO's.

LoL is just accessible and doesnt hit peoples computers hard, they have a massive amount of people playing it but so do other games. If you gave people BF3 or MWF3 for free and were able to give the same experience to everyone no matter the computer specs...  yea it would destroy LoL's numbers.

There are also some fragmentation in the FPS market. You can play COD, many different versions, or BF3. If you want to play a DOTA, LOL is pretty much the only popular one.

Originally posted by Disdena

i think thats fair.

What would be the point? Why discourage someone from playing the game in the way it's supposed to be played?

And if that's not the way the game is supposed to be played, why allow it at all? Paint a big red X over the cursor when you try to target a player more than 5 levels below you. Bzzt, can't attack that guy.

What is gained by keeping that activity in the game but doling out an in-game punishment for doing it?

1. I could see some as treating it as a badge of honor.

2. It would have consequenses to thos ganking lowbies. You can do it, and it might be fun, but don't be surprised that you get ganked yourself now that *you* are vulnerable just liek the lowbies where.

It was just an idea.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

The fact you said "true pvp" at all was what I found odd, what given that there is no such thing regardless of genre. You merely have different forms of pvp, nothing more nothing less. Some are more competitive, some are more entertaining, some are based over a longer terms, some are more accessible. Yet no form is more "true" than another.

Given we are on a site for the mmorpg genre, and we are talking primarily about such games. When you declare one style is fading because players want hardcore pvp. It strongly hints that you are actually talking about mmorpg pvp. A great deal of the reason arenas are popular is down to accessibilty. In all honesty the same can be said for the e-sport/FPS et al genres. Not everyone there is for "teh hardcore" pvp.

More people prefered structured, accessible pvp.

Most people don't like getting ganked in an unfair fight.

But talk of one "true pvp", or most people being in arenas/e-sports expressly for "hardcore pvp". Nope.

When we go to a boxing match we'd like to see a good fight. One guy beating the shit out of another guy is not what people generally expect from a "good fight". By your definition any match even if the other guy has no arms, is a fight.

There is such a thing as a "good fight" where all parties agree. That is proper PvP. That is good PvP.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Isturi
    Originally posted by fenistil

Need safe heavens and pvp area and it right proportions (I would say 60-70 for safe heaven) + some rules and then it is right.

Reminds me of South Parks "Make love not Warcraft." Which is loosely based on a famous ganker from Vanilla WoW days were he would camp around goldshire ganking for days and weeks at a time lowbies in the area who could not quest. because of him. Enough complaints were made were as Blizz finialy stepped in and banned him for life. Good for Blizz

Yeah. That's prime example how world pvp should NOT be done.

There should be not possiblity of someone going into low level zone and just killing everyone without consequences.

Sure some other high level can go and kill him but first of all :

a)there is not enough good samaritans

b)ganker don't lose anything by being killed in WoW so he or she don't care if someone kill him / her in revange.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Teala

That's OK, I have my evil alter ego that I play in MMO's and she doesn't play fair, and she doesn't play all nice.   She sees an opportunity to kill another player she doesn't let it pass -especially in EVE.  

Well, at least someone else actually read his post. =)

I, too, have my evil alter-ego in EVE.  it's the only game on the market (that I wish to play, at least) where just about anything goes.  It's soooo fun..

That said, at any other time I am one of the most respectful, helpful and courteous players in MMOs.  I still hold onto the community values and respect we had pre-MMO~Explosion.   Unless I'm on that one char in EVE.  >=)

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I think there are different types of gankers:

1. PvP Ganker - He'll kill anything. "If it's red it's dead" is his motto. These are generally accepted as being OK.

2. Coward - He takes his max level character and terrorized lowbies. Killing quest givers as also a hoot!

3. Dickwad - He is the same as #2, but then corpse camps his victims. He's never been in a fair fight.

I would say this is true. I fit in category #1 myself. I kill it if it moves. But I think all types belong. It creates drama on a server, and interaction/reputations something modern MMO's dont have anymore. We need the PK's, RPers, PvEers, Anti-PK's, Merc Squads...etc.  A game should have all of those. PvEers should look to the Anti-PK's or hire mercs to protect them while they get there stuff done.

Its like the circle of life... yet now a days all we have is like a really jacked up triangle.

Very few modern MMO has open pvp because that is not what people want. Otherwise the market would provide it. My guess is .. people either want to pve in peace, or do some e-sport pvp .. just look at how popular is LOL.