Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone noticed the cash shop + experience/+magic find/+crafting items?

evemaster00evemaster00 Member Posts: 171

+50% xp for 1 hour, to buy 5 of these will cost you £8. £8 for 5 hours of +50% xp.

There's also one for crafting, for 50% more magic items, and a few other types of +xp ones, including one that gives you 100% more xp on your next kill within 30 seconds, reseting the timer on every kill.

These are the kind of items i expect to see in RF online cash shops, or perfect world game cash shops.

I do not expect to see these kind of items in a game charges £60 for the inital purchase. Ripoff.

GW2 is a F2P cash shop game that charges you a lot to buy inital game.

Comments

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

why would you care? if you arent interested and got lots of time - dont buy it. its not that anyone has an advantage when lvling faster than you ;)

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

This might seem strange to you but those items are insignificant because bonus xp and bonus magic find etc hardly give you any benefit aside from making things go a little quicker. They don't help you clear content and they don't help you in PvP.

But then if you had spent more than 30 seconds playing the game and paying attention you would have noticed this.

• evemaster00evemaster00 Member Posts: 171
    Originally posted by Zezda

This might seem strange to you but those items are insignificant because bonus xp and bonus magic find etc hardly give you any benefit aside from making things go a little quicker. They don't help you clear content and they don't help you in PvP.

But then if you had spent more than 30 seconds playing the game and paying attention you would have noticed this.

I tried the game long enough to know it's going to fail even harder than SWTOR did.

• Comae13Comae13 Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by evemaster00

+50% xp for 1 hour, to buy 5 of these will cost you £8. £8 for 5 hours of +50% xp.

There's also one for crafting, for 50% more magic items, and a few other types of +xp ones, including one that gives you 100% more xp on your next kill within 30 seconds, reseting the timer on every kill.

These are the kind of items i expect to see in RF online cash shops, or perfect world game cash shops.

I do not expect to see these kind of items in a game charges £60 for the inital purchase. Ripoff.

And you're right.

Thats another disgrace to the mmorpg, why dont make a sub and give the bonus when you make a quest ?

What a shame.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

That's funny as I actually paid for RF Online at launch (EU Codemasters). You have no idea what it was like compared to the crippled mess that it is today. Anyway having compared both games I have to say: I would happily pay £10 to skip the mindnumbing grind to the level cap for chipwars. When playing GW2 I had a look in the gem store but saw no point in getting anything that would make the game level faster. The reason for this is that I'm actually having fun grinding in GW2 in a way that I wasn't in RFO. RFO was all endgame. GW2 is front middle and endgame. I'm taking my time.

And magic find shmagic find. My backpacks are bursting with blue and green gear and I havn't even started crafting yet.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

Because of its B2P model failing as hard as SW:TURD did isn't possible.

• ictownictown Member Posts: 123

I tried the game long enough to know it's going to fail even harder than SWTOR did.

well there lies the problem, a nobody telling people GW2 is going to Fail and SWTOR being a failure. What's next, TEO is gonna fail too now.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

This a B2P the options are simple use the cash shop or don't  there is no monthly sub and no region,skill,class instance lock outs like for instance AOC.

Infact there are no restrictions to stifle gameplay what so ever if you want to spend money on boosts then you can i personally hate them, and would rather use my gems for better inventory more character slots maybe the odd mystical box.

And many people seem to forget that they do need some income apart from box sales how many AAA B2P Mo's have launched with this much quality lately hmmm not a hard one to answer is it.

p>
  • Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

This is nothing new. There are a TON of  threads about this already. Granted, if you believe hitting max level is "winning" then perhaps this game is not for you.  You could make the argument that higher level in WvW makes one more powerful. I say WvW is not designed to be a fair fight all the time, and if it takes me a week longer to get to max level so be it. I had a weeks more worth of fun if you ask me.

You can also sell you gems to PLAYERS for gold ( not npc, there is no artifical gold dump). Some will say this is "p2w". Doesnt really affect me. There really isnt all that much you need gold for. There are times were I wish I had a little more gold, just a silver or two. I go out and farm. Someone else will just sell some gems.  Most people will do it because they dont want to play the game to have gold. Their lost. Some others will spend just because they think it will make them more powerful. It really doesnt, it is just a video game. I like to think at lest one person out there is a Doctor, perhaps an intern. We will call him JD. He doesnt get alot of time to play because he is on call. He buys the gem to sell for gold and the boosts because he needs to maximize his time in game. JD is too busy saving lives.. and dressing up his stuffed dog with his best friend.

Oh, and I will believe it is "p2w" once I get my trophey for spending $20!

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

That's a different discussion altogether. Your original point though is misguided. In RF Online, much like other MMORPGs, level boosts mean A LOT, due to the nature of them having an "endgame". Also Levelling up unlocks skills/points and gives players an edge on just about anything the game has to offer save for gear. In GW2 level means nothing other than being able to move to higher level places more quickly. In WvW you will already be leveled up to 80. Even when you avail of XP boost, weapon skills must still be unlocked. Unless they start offering weapon skills,  traits, and XP boost in the cash shop, GW2 can't be P2W in that regard.

That is why if you really tried the game without prejudice, you would see this on your own and you wouldn't have to make such a topic.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Sorry OP, not seeing a problem with the XP crap.

I do however see a problem with "Mystic Keys". Maybe I am just unlucky but I have a few locked mystic chests in my inventory and I hate to think that Anet want's me to buy kotto-tickets to unlock those chests.

Price is about €10 for 6 keys - Not really acceptable for "lotto-pixels".

More importantly: This is actually labelled gambling and bordering on/actually illegal in most EU countries.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Halandir

I do however see a problem with "Mystic Keys". Maybe I am just unlucky but I have a few locked mystic chests in my inventory and I hate to think that Anet want's me to buy kotto-tickets to unlock those chests.

More importantly: This is actually labelled gambling and bordering on/actually illegal in most EU countries.

For some reason I have had about 4 keys drop for me in the Norn area but not in the others. Odd.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by ictown

well there lies the problem, a nobody telling people GW2 is going to Fail and SWTOR being a failure. What's next, TEO is gonna fail too now.

Assuming you meant TESO, I suggest you head over to their forums - I'm afraid you won't be surprised.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

I do feel sorry for the cash strapped people. Some people can afford to buy all kinds of cash shop items and some just can't.

Some people just choose not to support the system.

Some people already have their credit cards ready and waiting.

It does not matter which catagory you fall into including any other catagories that are not already listed, GW2 is going to have a cash shop. This is known and has been for some time now.

Millions are going to play the game; Ranting about the GW2 cash shop will not change anything.

If the box cost is too much for you, wait a few months to a year. There will probably be a price drop down the road. You could also look at your budget and maybe find an area to trim for a while until you recoup the cost of the game.

Good luck

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

didnt take ya long to reveal your agenda^^

and i was really falling for it and thought youd care about the cash shop ... i never learn ...

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

Let me guess, 2 hours?

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

You can get mystic keys without buying them. The boxes themselves don't have anything in them either that really warrants spending RL cash on it but failing that you can always swap some in game currency for gems to buy keys, I done that last BWE and got a few chests opened. I kinda wish I had spent my money on dyes instead.

• ictownictown Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by ictown

Assuming you meant TESO, I suggest you head over to their forums - I'm afraid you won't be surprised.

yeah, i mispelled. that's not great to hear..,lol

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

There have been countless threads on this topic, all filled with useless predictions of failing and/or mindless hatred towards the game itself. Another useless thread in the sea of useless threads we get around here. One more block coming right up

/thread

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

This game is Buy-2-Play with an OPTIONAL cash shop.  You can convert Gold to Gems so in respect you'll never need to use real cash to buy those things at all; just farm some gold.

Where's the Ripoff? None of these things are "required" or "needed" as they're all optional.  They're boosts, nothing more.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

You can get mystic keys without buying them. The boxes themselves don't have anything in them either that really warrants spending RL cash on it but failing that you can always swap some in game currency for gems to buy keys, I done that last BWE and got a few chests opened. I kinda wish I had spent my money on dyes instead.

Yes I know and I am not really bothered about it (except that we need some facts about mystic box vs. mystic key drop rate.)

What really bothers me is that I (and several other EU based players) may risk a blackout == GW2 being blocked in EU for selling virtual pixel lottery tickets.

Me and most other EU players can see through this but it only takes a few complaints, a few journalists and a politician with an agenda to get a ban in place. THAT worries me + the fact that Anet obviously did not think about it.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• evemaster00evemaster00 Member Posts: 171
    Originally posted by Leethe

That's funny as I actually paid for RF Online at launch (EU Codemasters). You have no idea what it was like compared to the crippled mess that it is today. Anyway having compared both games I have to say: I would happily pay £10 to skip the mindnumbing grind to the level cap for chipwars. When playing GW2 I had a look in the gem store but saw no point in getting anything that would make the game level faster. The reason for this is that I'm actually having fun grinding in GW2 in a way that I wasn't in RFO. RFO was all endgame. GW2 is front middle and endgame. I'm taking my time.

And magic find shmagic find. My backpacks are bursting with blue and green gear and I havn't even started crafting yet.

RF online was a p2p game at launch, that's why. It later went F2P.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I'm sorry I will be getting and playing GW2 and all but.....why is EVERYONE dancing around the part in red? While clearly focusing on the exp boosters...funny but I guess love IS blind. That part is a clear advantage over those that do not frequent the cash shop. Now that I think about it...won't those that level up the fastest basically be dominating the PvP scene? And I'm NOT talking about WvWvW. They will have skills available faster that non cash shop players and able to do content that they won't.

I mean really guys...do you not see this?

*Note for EDIT: Just want to add that I personally do not have anything against how ANY player chooses to spend their OWN money. I just find it odd that the anti CS players and the anti-RMAH players are dancing around the obvious advantage of increasing your chances of getting stat(magic) loot by 50%. And have no issue with this at all.....AT ALL!?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

I'm sorry I will be getting and playing GW2 and all but.....why is EVERYONE dancing around the part in red? While clearly focusing on the exp boosters...funny but I guess love IS blind. That part is a clear advantage over those that do not frequent the cash shop. Now that I think about it...won't those that level up the fastest basically be dominating the PvP scene? And I'm NOT talking about WvWvW. They will have skills available faster that non chash shop players and able to do content that they won't.

If you're not talking about WvW then.. nope, they won't dominate the PvP scene. When you go to structured PvP every single character is bumped to level 80, is given equivalent level 80 gear and has every skill unlocked, so absolutely no advantage there. Whatever you unlock, craft or have on PvE might carry on to WvW, but it have any effect on sPvP.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• KamdorKamdor Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

I'm sorry I will be getting and playing GW2 and all but.....why is EVERYONE dancing around the part in red? While clearly focusing on the exp boosters...funny but I guess love IS blind. That part is a clear advantage over those that do not frequent the cash shop. Now that I think about it...won't those that level up the fastest basically be dominating the PvP scene? And I'm NOT talking about WvWvW. They will have skills available faster that non chash shop players and able to do content that they won't.

Q: "won't those that level up the fastest basically be dominating the PvP scene? And I'm NOT talking about WvWvW. They will have skills available faster that non chash shop players and able to do content that they won't."

A: Not really, you can have all your weapon skills unlocked before you hit level 10 so makes no difference.  As for content, everyone has access to the same content. Does it really matter if someone gains access to the content faster then another person? it just sounds like your grasping at straws here.