Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examining the skill-use leveling

mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

How much of this leveling system works as it should, as in you play and progress naturally? How many of the skills do players end up macroing to level but could be fixed in some way? Are there diminishing returns for over using some skills?

I'm still a noob to DF and will probably try it after 2.0 but I'm trying to figure out if their use-based progression will ever fully work without exploitation even if it heavily manages how you get XP.

Comments

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

How much of this leveling system works as it should, as in you play and progress naturally? How many of the skills do players end up macroing to level but could be fixed in some way? Are there diminishing returns for over using some skills?

I'm still a noob to DF and will probably try it after 2.0 but I'm trying to figure out if their use-based progression will ever fully work without exploitation even if it heavily manages how you get XP.

All of it works perfectly apart from a couple of crafting masteries/trueforge. There's no need to macro any skills now and there's no diminishing returns for using skills actively.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by Greymoor

All of it works perfectly apart from a couple of crafting masteries/trueforge. There's no need to macro any skills now and there's no diminishing returns for using skills actively.

The last skillpoint for some of the crafting were off as well. So for example I was getting 1 point of gain for every 2-3 chain pieces 75-99. 99-100 took me at least 30. Still way better than before. I hope they fix mastery soon because I want to be able to craft some JB's.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

You really, really, really don't need to macro or AFK to be highly competitive with the changes. If anything you couldn't make enough money to keep up with the skill increases but now that has changed as well.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Currently Aventurine is running a promotion leading up to 2.0 in which all skills level insanely quickly. You can almost max out your character in a day or two if you know what you're doing. That, combined with the offline meditation system, there is no need to macro.

The 1.0 skill system is inherently flawed because currently, nothing is stopping someone from maxing every spell school and using every spell. This essentially makes it so that in order to compete, you also have to have the critical spells from each tree, which means mastering every spell school. That took a long time before. Now, if you have the gold, you can do it almost instantly.

In 2.0, there will be a specialization in place that limits spell schools so say, you can only use water, but not fire. Which spec you are using depends on the armor you're wearing. This means, a new player can focus on a small number of skills and be able to compete in PVP, because everyone will be specialized in a small number of skills. But, if a player wishes, he can master multiple spell schools, but he can only use ONE at any given time, so he's balanced vs everyone else.

Casual player knows water magic and uses it effectively in PvP.

Hardcore player knows water, fire, necro, witchcraft, but can only use one, he chooses fire for now, then changes his armor and uses water later.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Wow, that sounds like a massive improvement. Well... if you don't care much for progression. So they basically caved and chose to focus on PvP. Doesn't that trivialize most of the PvE content?

Does that mean if you have skill-use type leveling it shouldn't be very slow to level (because of what you would see in old DF)? I supposed there isn't much longevity in a progression system like skill-use compared to others.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Wow, that sounds like a massive improvement. Well... if you don't care much for progression. So they basically caved and chose to focus on PvP. Doesn't that trivialize most of the PvE content?

Does that mean if you have skill-use type leveling it shouldn't be very slow to level (because of what you would see in old DF)? I supposed there isn't much longevity in a progression system like skill-use compared to others.

I actually like the PvE. I find it much more entertaining than yout typical tab target mmo.

The end game of Darkfall is and has always been PvP. Making it easier to get there is a big plus in my opinion.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

I feel like I would love this game if they simply had a skill cap like they did in UO. I really don't like the idea of being able to max every skill.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

you do need to grind but u dont need to macro althopugh it is advised

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by deathshroud

you do need to grind but u dont need to macro althopugh it is advised

That's a shame. I wish leveling by skill use would work naturally like in Skyrim. Instead it seems it boils down to macro leveling because being effective in PvP is the main goal.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    well you can be effective in pvp if you play 5 hours per day for about 1 month.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by deathshroud
    well you can be effective in pvp if you play 5 hours per day for about 1 month.

Less than  month.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• uofa13luofa13l Member Posts: 29
    You can macro for months and get maxed or you can play the game for 2 weeks.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Back before the super skill gain increases I used to play casually and the only thing i guess i did was afk swim a few times.. other than that i just played the game and had fun. i suppose it took about 6 months of casual play a few hours a night if i was lucky before i got to a point where i could make an impact in group pvp.. but it was never a grind to me because i was having awesome fun just playing the game :)

So for me the game worked perfect and i guess how they intended people to play the game... of course you had exploiters and people who would do things afk like spell casting and so on to max out as fast as they could..

Now with the super fast skill gains it dont really matter as you can max everything out super fast now LOL :) with meditation im sure you could max out everything in a month pretty easy..