Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the new video on HK-51 Shows that SWTOR is not in peril...

Comments

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512
    [mod edit]
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Digna
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by Wicoa

A new video for any game neither shows its success or its peril.  All it is, is a marketing gimick (one of many) used to advertise to (potential) customers. 

You summed up what I was going to say very nicely.

[mod edit]

What? You quoted me but I do hope you aren't actually referring to me.

more to do with the video i suspect, and a case of being in agreement with you than otherwise, at least thats how i read it image

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

A new video for any game neither shows its success or its peril.  All it is, is a marketing gimick (one of many) used to advertise to (potential) customers. 

[mod edit]

No...not refering to you.  

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

[mod edit]

No...not refering to you.  

You have quelled my fears that I had fallen fast and hard and completely unknowningly. Good to see you chatting again Teala.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Weretigar

123/11=9

What?

I guess you meant 11/123 = 9%

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    Originally posted by Weretigar

123/11=9

What?

I guess you meant 11/123 = 9%

I did

• Byne25Byne25 Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Sindorin

First off, I know full well that the vast majority of users here at MMORPG.com are pretty anti-SWTOR and anything anyone says pro-SWTOR is devolved into a "lol @ fanboi" fest. So let's skip the prelude and get right to it: Yes, I am a fan of Star WArs. No, I have not played all of the mass effects, dragon ages. I've played both KOTOR's and out side of these games, I know little of Bioware. Hell, I didn't like ME and DA: Origins was meh. So I'm a Star Wars fan, much more than a BW fan (if at all). So let's lay that to rest right now.

Back in the heydays of E3 2009 and 2010, we can vividly remember our giddy excitement of the cinematic trailers released by Bioware, who had contracted Blur Studios for three of them, at a few hundred thousand dollars a pop. Now, with a massive marketing campaign for Battlefield 3 causing a massive drain on EA over the last year and a half, coupled with SWTOR's massive budget, it stands to reason that a video of this nature being released post-launch and well into the game's life cycle seems a sign that the game is far from dead or peril. In fact, it shows that game has promise. I know what you're thinking, but seriously. Hold off on the rabid hate for just a few more minutes.

You see, if an investment is losing ground, or money in a way that shows little or no signs of recovering, then a company (any right minded company) would call it quits, and stop investing to let the product run it's course and eventually die. Or pull the plug out right and cut it's losses immediately. Well, as we can see SWTOR has had some serious issues over the last six months or so, however many of these are being resolved, better late than never. Server populations are stabilizing and things appear to have hit a stable period and with moderate growth on a  couple of servers (despite all of the vitrol and hate on these forums).So, that might be why EA and Bioware are still willing to put thousands of dollars into a couple minute trailer on a companion character that likely cost more than most of us make in a year.

Quite simply put: you're wrong. The game is not over, and those of you who were crying and screaming about SWTOR not being SWG or WoW or not-WoW, you're clearly not as informed as you might think. The facts speak for themselves that the game is far from the "gloom and doom" end that all of you people are predicting. They are still dumping loads of capital, man hours and cash into this game and that should speak for itself.

I agree with you. They are shaking up the development and getting new fresh eyes on it. That doesnt mean they pull the plug. MMORPG has the most negative nellies out of any website I have ever seen so I also agree with you on there.

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

OP, you made a valid post and valid logic. But you still hinge on an assumption. You ask of people to not call you a fanboy, to respect logic and opinion, then respect logic yourself. You, in your own post, first ACCEPT the probability that the trailer was made long ago (as was the companion in question made long ago, just kept unavailable to make it into a "new content"). Then you continue ignoring that and state, as a fact, that "game is not dead", "spending lots of money on trailers means SWTOR is not in peril". Yet you just accepted that you CANNOT rely on that as a FACT because it may have as well been done long ago, not recently.

Simply said, two possibilities with unknown chance (so we can as well assume 50/50)

1) Trailer made recently

2) Trailer made long ago

First logically implies game is not dead (since they can still spend $$$)

Second logically implies that trailer is irrelevant to the game's current status (since it was made before the game's current situation could influence it)

So there is and unknown (assume 50%) chance that you can say that "SWTOR is not dead" and unknown (assume 50%) chance that you can only HOPE it isnt dead, but have nothing to back that up.

Now, why do you keep ignoring that and keep saying that "SWTOR IS OKAY" as a fact? Why do you keep beeing arrogant, negative and talking lowly about people who argue with you?

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Watch this and in your head yell, "GOOOOOO SAAVEEE HIIIMMMM!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3dI-ghYimg&feature=related

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

There's just no point in discussing it here, again.  Nobody is going to score any Valuable Forum Points by Proving The Other Guys Wrong.

Come back in two years.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Icewhite

But the doom crew has, from time to time, had to "eat crow" (AoC is still alive, for instance, after a verrrrry similar hate level).

There's just no point in discussing it here, again.  Nobody is going to score any Valuable Forum Points by Proving The Other Guys Wrong.

Come back in two years.

Boy what a great example to give about AoC. Sure showed them.

>_>

You really think considering the amount of players, servers, and sales that game had and where it is now makes that a good example?

Whew....

Should have used a better one like WoW. Think every game that launches has the doom crew saying this is it for WoW. GW was going to crush it, VG, etc.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Boy what a great example to give about AoC.

Sorry, not getting baited today.

In fact; thank you.  You just got this toxin out of my system for good.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Boy what a great example to give about AoC.

Sorry, not getting baited today.

Uh yeah, not baiting. Just pointing out your example sucked.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Nothing like a SWTOR thread to bring out the rabit haters.  When does GW2 come out again so they have something to do?

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by xr00t3dx
    Originally posted by Sebber

A trailer is not made out of thin air, you don't know when the trailer was made. It could have been made before release.

expected/10

What a cop-out. So you refuse to admit that it just could have quite possibly been made recently? As in post-launch? Gee, sounds awfully convienient to ignore things that don't conform to a specific agenda.

expected/10

What a cop-out. So you refuse to admit that it just could have quite possibly been made recently? As in post-launch? Gee, sounds awfully convienient to ignore things that don't conform to a specific agenda.

Oh wait.

[mod edit]

Childish or not he is right.

Its a TRAILER, a commercial, commercials are fabricated to show the best part(s) of what ever product or service they want to sell. Chances are the entire trailer is staged. Commercials almost per definition do not show the down sides of their product offered.

You are right though, the game isnt dead yet, I dont have any ill will against the game and hopefully it does recover. But you DO need to start being realistic about what a Trailer REALLY is.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

You see, if an investment is losing ground, or money in a way that shows little or no signs of recovering, then a company (any right minded company) would call it quits, and stop investing to let the product run it's course and eventually die. Or pull the plug out right and cut it's losses immediately.

No.

Just look at ANY of the P2P games that went F2P in the last 4 years as a prime example of how you dont know what you are talking about.

EQ1, EQ2, UO, DAOC, Conan, AC1, AO, DCUO, LOTRO....DDO!

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by Airtaee

As a SW fan since 1977 I can only say: 

I'm very sorry for you mate. 

OP how old are you? Have you seen the original trilogy before they got turned into cartoons? Are you a true fan or are you part of what is destroying the franchise? Not criticism, just questions, for now.

A trailer that is what 2 minutes long and shows absolutely no gameplay is undisputable proof TOR is thriving? I don't get it.

One trailer verses 200 empty servers, free month give-a-way, absolutely no added content after 8 months and nothing but another 2 minute trailer that doesn't show gameplay saying more content will be soon™, 200 layoffs, lead combat designer ran out of the country, executive producer gone, more layoffs, and EA CEO himself is rumored to have been voted out of the company by the board of trustees (Official announcement expected after the next profits call or whatever it's called).

One 2 minute trailer trumps every other thing that says something bad is happening? I'm a trolling hater more than I'm a realist?

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

So, it's a trailer of a companion maybe? I'm not getting how this cgi trailer shouts "it's not in peril".

I think the few servers that are left and the dozens and dozens and dozens of empty servers tell me what's going on, not to mention lay off after layoff, not to mention "Hey free 30 days!" "Hey free 7 days play!" "Hey free to level 15!". The game hasn't even made it to the 1 year mark yet and they're begging people to come play. I could see after a couple years giving out free trials, then the game has some age to it.  I haven't seen so much failure since Warhammer to be honest.

I seriously don't get how the cgi trailer means much. Like usual, BW tells you nothing.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

Just remember the old saying:

"Throwing money at a problem doesnt make it go away"

Originally posted by Talgen

Just remember the old saying:

"Throwing money at a problem doesnt make it go away"

Eh...if someone finds me to be a problem they're more than welcome to throw money at me and I'll gladly go away. :P

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

My problem was after finishing the Jedi Knight story line I could not get myself to play through the lifeless worlds again. I stayed with WoW off and on for 6 years so it is not like my standards are that high but after the novelty of lightsabers wore off there was no reason to play another raid treadmill gear grinder.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

I guess the OP completely missed (or refuses to acknowledge) the massive layoffs at the Austin studio for this "successful" game, or the fact the Austin studio head was (alledgedly) asked to leave for overseeing such a turd. And some of the reasons all these people at MMORPG hate SWTOR is (pick your poison):

1. SWTOR's combat system is more WoW than WoW. It's an uninspired cooldown-fest that entertains only the self-loathing (sorry if I offended anyone who is self-loathing).

2. Manditory, cookie-cutter side quests that could have been from any formula MMORPG, with as much imaginative thought put into them as a politician kissing a baby.

3. Beau coup bucks spent on VO for every damn thing in the game rather than creative content and systems development.

4. Space combat pinched out from the Super Nintendo.

5. Choices in the dialogue trees really actually do absolutely nothing further down in the story line, except maybe offer a different dialogue choice. That's a pillar that's about as sturdy as two sheets of toilet paper against an oncoming commuter train.

6. Typical end game gear grind consisting of repeatedly doing the same finite amount of dungeons or playing uninspired PvP. And the gear was ugly. Can't play good Barbie-dress-up with ugly gear.

7. Ultimately, no reason for a monthly sub.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

You mean Super Nintendo.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by nilden

You mean Super Nintendo.

Duly edited.image

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• Top_QuarkTop_Quark Member Posts: 3

I'm curious to see how many Bioware devs need to be fired for SWTOR fans to admit the game is in trouble.

This discussion has been closed.