Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I Screwed?

13»

Comments

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by vigg2004

I'm not a "twitchy" gamer.  I'm a middle-aged man with questionable reaction time and coordination.  I'm not good at kiting or strafing.  Is there any place for me in GW2, or will I just get mutilated?

Sounds like you should do same as I'm considdering, choose a game where you need to be skilled in your head, and not hyperactively pushing 5 different buttoms on the keyboard and rotating the mouse. Might get very boring fast for midle aged people like us:-)

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

I'm not a "twitchy" gamer.  I'm a middle-aged man with questionable reaction time and coordination.  I'm not good at kiting or strafing.  Is there any place for me in GW2, or will I just get mutilated?

I almost 40 and begining to get arthitis in my hands, and while I know I wont be in the top ten when doing WvW, I can hold my own even when playing a thief melee. Granted, I gotta take more breaks, and it took me longer to learn, but once I got the hang of moving and attacking it wasnt too hard. Did get a new mouse with extra buttons on it though to help out.  Also trying out different key bindings.

Oh, and just to point out about the level of my hands.. I have a hard time playing guitar latly.

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123

you will get pwned so hard you wish you had never entered the arena and will go back to EQ2 PVE.

garuanteed.

• wildclawwildclaw Member UncommonPosts: 46

OK, thanks all, this gives me some hope.  What is kiting like as a ranger, is it jump kiting like a hunter in WoW?

Even though you can move while casting, most skills have cast time and you have to face your target while casting. So no, you can't jump kite in GW2.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    Originally posted by Skarecrow7

I almost 40 and begining to get arthitis in my hands, and while I know I wont be in the top ten when doing WvW, I can hold my own even when playing a thief melee. Granted, I gotta take more breaks, and it took me longer to learn, but once I got the hang of moving and attacking it wasnt too hard. Did get a new mouse with extra buttons on it though to help out.  Also trying out different key bindings.

Oh, and just to point out about the level of my hands.. I have a hard time playing guitar latly.

Ibuprofen 800mg

edit  and a beer

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Nah you won't get mutilated.

The best way to learn how to play any games is watch youtube combat gameplay. 

They have all the info and tricks for you to survive. 

Try and watch

http://taugrim.com/ or 

http://www.youtube.com/user/taugrimtaugrim/video

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• AlluraAAlluraA Member UncommonPosts: 9

I have a good mind for builds but have trouble with my hands (swelling, etc. no need to elaborate here and feed the hyenas)

After playing the first BWE I'm looking forward to launch.  I was worried about how much my hands would slow me down.  I know I will never be able to play competitively like I did before I had this problem, but I'm still able to do just fine.

You have to be spatially aware, and able to get used to coordinating your mouse movements and hot keys with what's happening visually, but a lot of the dodging, kiting, strafing- movement is inherent in skill keys and otherwise simple WASD movements.  I can't play as long, or to be honest, as well, but there's absolutely to reason to think you can't kick a lot of butt in this game, and have a lot of fun.  It takes a relatively short time to learn the keys and where to click. 

I'm a middle-aged gamer myself, and play with others of varied ages, but many my age and older.  None of us play to be superstars but in the other games we've played together, we like to see all the content.  Shoot me a PM if you want some easygoing people to play with.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Normally you don't need excellent reflexes in a game, but experience. As soon as you are able to stay calm in any encounter, the pace of time will decrease - not increase.

Good players of Tetris are not that good, because they have a lower reaction time than anybody else, they plan ahead, so when the next piece comes under control, they know exactly where to put it. Regardless of how fast one is dropping from above. The same works for GW2. You won't ever need to be faster than anybody else, the devs even removed sole-purpose interupts for that reason, you will however need to plan ahead. Know your enemy, know yourself, your teammates and your surroundings. Then you have a fighting chance.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Ipolygon makes a very good point.

A 2 of having a clue always trumps an ace of reaction time.

Anyway ones 40's are the new 20's :)

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

i know the feeling bro....i am 37 and sometimes it seems i am getting just a little slower then i used to be :)

I played GW2 beta's and dont worry....try the Warrior as a melee.....if thats still too fast for ya i would recommend playing the ranger......its a very good class if you dont like to kite too much.....you got rooting spells very early so no need to constantly kite things around.

Hope it helps......they say the necro is also pretty good but i didnt realy like it (or maybe i was playing it wrong, i dunno :p )

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Yeah I figured a pet necro should be fairly straightforward but actually found it rather frustrating. Pets seemed to die far to easily so I'd end up circle staffing waiting for cool downs so I could re summon. I guess I was doing something wrong but did not enjoy it much.
  • ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

if my mother who is in her late 50's and is TERRIBLE can do alright with a crappy satelite connection.. you will be fine =D It may be difficult for you to do the harder content like explorable dungeons but enjoying the game wont be too frustrating.

edit: my husband reminded me that she now has DSL now, BUT! it doesnt change her being terrible =P

• oupslililolooupslililolo Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Twistingfate

I wouldnt recomend playing a melee class as that requires quite good reflexes and situational awareness but I imagine youd enjoy the ranged classes such as elementalist/Ranger etc. They are less reflex bound and generally have better survivability.

Hope it helps

Best wishes

Saint

age have nothing to do (ofc i dont mean a 60 year old guy)

in aion i know a guy who is 50 year old lvl 55 glad who owns ET AP 55 gear kids for breakfast.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I would recommend you try to use a support and control centric build for whatever character you decide to play.

It doesn't require that you have twitch reflexes; it simply requires that you know your opponent (sometimes better than they know themselves :D )

Also, you can craft and play minigames or just hangout :D

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

GW2 aint a twitchy game at all,

You press TAB you then go through what ever spells you want to shoot at him.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog

You can do that without pressing tab.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by IPolygon
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog

You can do that without pressing tab.

Indeed, tab is optional

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

If anything you'll become better at dodging and interrupting the more you play.