Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What TES Online fans are saying

2»

Comments

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379

TES lore was already pretty wacky before TESO was announced.  Among other things, it includes a literal Deus Ex Machina used to break continuity in order to justify having every multiple-ending of a previous game officially happen; and that's just the tip of the iceburg.

There's not actually much room for ZOS to make it 'worse.'

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by KaosProphet

TES lore was already pretty wacky before TESO was announced.  Among other things, it includes a literal Deus Ex Machina used to break continuity in order to justify having every multiple-ending of a previous game officially happen; and that's just the tip of the iceburg.

There's not actually much room for ZOS to make it 'worse.'

That may be so.

But Zenimax IS fugging up the general ES gameplay, the combat system, the "play and build your character your way", and on and on.

Mostly because they are unwilling or unable to do a good adaption of ES gameplay to the MMO space. (It's too HARRRDDD!)

Does/did any ES SPG fan realistically expect a carbon copy of Skyrim or the other SPG titles converted to an MMO? No.

But they did expect the devs/pubs to make an effort in that direction (because that is what the X million people that bought Skyrim liked), which they are clearly not doing.

So even if Zenimax is not messing up the ES "lore", they are certainly doing a crap job with everything else.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

One I see often... "I am so glad TESO doesn't have gameplay like TES".

I don't think TESO fans even like TES.  I see it as a TES MMO for MMO fans, not an MMO for TES fans.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by GTwander
    Originally posted by Poison_Adele

TESO has fans?

DAoC refugees.

TES fans have already stated their complaints, repeatedly. All doe-eyed optimizm is 100% from DAoC fans.

Uhh... most DAoC fans hate TESO because of the instancing and phasing and general WoW clone-yness. All praise is coming from the Skyrim/Oblivion 360 users.

Most DAoC refugees are in GW2.

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by Tibernicus

TESO has fans?

DAoC refugees.

TES fans have already stated their complaints, repeatedly. All doe-eyed optimizm is 100% from DAoC fans.

Uhh... most DAoC fans hate TESO because of the instancing and phasing and general WoW clone-yness. All praise is coming from the Skyrim/Oblivion 360 users.

Most DAoC refugees are in GW2.

I thought those were the guys who just came by to bitch that it's not going to be on console and that it's not going to be first-person action like Skyrim was :P  (Note: "and."  Folks just bitching about the latter, could be coming from anywhere.)

While there's a few that are debatable, most of the folks there are actually TES fans - one is even one of the 'elder-names' from the Lore forum.  But that's the key: they're more fans of the (wacky) lore, and not die-hard over the specific mechanics;  they're TES fans who have liked other games as well, and are willing to overlook departures from 'traditional' Skyrim style gameplay.

For myself?  I'm just hoping Kotaku didn't lie when they put out the "It's not as WoW as you fear" preview article.  I never was a fan of first-person view in general, so defaulting to third person doesn't bug me at all - that's how I mostly played Skyrim anyway.  I am quite disappointed they're not keeping the freeform character structure from Skyrim (though immensely thankful they're not mimicking Oblivion's "micro every skill gain lest you gimp your stats" system.)  The real key, for me, will be how much instancing/phasing versus how much open-world content will be involved.

So I remain cautiously optimistic.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Daddydazzle

i'm not expecting skyrim online at all. i figure it will be a standard themepark with the lore and zones of TES. it is what it is. there are a lot of reason's why skyrim wouldn't work as a MMORPG. a small mulitplayer online would work to a degree imo, but not with a thousand people or whatever per server.

Why wouldn't it work?  I think that's the point the OP is trying to make, and you played right into their hands.

Let's see.  Here's an example of a game where thousands could play on a single server, at the same time, and it's a FPS MMO.  Darkfall.  Despite 'insert joke here', there is very little lag and the FPS combat works well for what it is designed to do.  I wouldn't even want TESO to be in 1st person either.

Clearly there are a host of themepark games that allow thousands of players to play on a single server at any given time.  I don't think I have to name any as proof in order to make my point.

TES titles have evolved over the years.  The title before it was never the same.  Spells were added/dropped, combat was refined, UI was changed, they were set in different places, progression was changed dramatically and professions became a legit way of ascending in power as time went on.  So you have a ton of things to choose from and a ton of things you can change that do not fit a MMO environment.  It wouldn't be Skyrm anyways, it would be TES Universe Online.  

What won't work?  Full loot and FFA PvP?  No, it will actually.  It has worked, but there hasn't been a AAA MMO made around this concept despite massive support by gaming forums everywhere since possible UO.  Think about what WoW would be like if the only thing that you changed was the loot and the ability to kill anyone, anywhere, and take all of their stuff.  What exactly would be different?  You may not have 10 million people playing the game, but I have little doubt that it wouldn't be a niche title only able to support 10 thousand players.  Hell, EVE topped around 300k and that is a space game, that most people aren't even interested in.  Imagine if you do the same thing with a fantasy setting, with a IP that supports it.  There's no reason that TESO couldn't be as strong, if not stronger than RIFT in playerbase numbers.

I need to get out of this mindset.  Convincing people who have little use for logic or reasoning, as well as hard facts is near impossible.  Stop it, stop it!  Bad me!

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by ZigZags

After following this game for sometime and hanging out at their facebook...Zenimax reminds me a lot of Bioware. I have literally 0 hype for this game, but I will check on it from time to time.

Funny you should say that, because I've been over to the TESO forums for a while and it reminds me of the Swtor Pre-launch forums with the rabid fanboys, haters & sandboxers all having  it out with each other =/

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

TESO has fans?

DAoC refugees.

Many a fan sites with tons of community with glowing and positive discussions going on.

Grasp.....believe it or not, people actually liek this game.  Ohh the horror!

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by DAS1337
    Originally posted by Daddydazzle

i'm not expecting skyrim online at all. i figure it will be a standard themepark with the lore and zones of TES. it is what it is. there are a lot of reason's why skyrim wouldn't work as a MMORPG. a small mulitplayer online would work to a degree imo, but not with a thousand people or whatever per server.

Why wouldn't it work?  I think that's the point the OP is trying to make, and you played right into their hands.

Let's see.  Here's an example of a game where thousands could play on a single server, at the same time, and it's a FPS MMO.  Darkfall.  Despite 'insert joke here', there is very little lag and the FPS combat works well for what it is designed to do.  I wouldn't even want TESO to be in 1st person either.

Clearly there are a host of themepark games that allow thousands of players to play on a single server at any given time.  I don't think I have to name any as proof in order to make my point.

TES titles have evolved over the years.  The title before it was never the same.  Spells were added/dropped, combat was refined, UI was changed, they were set in different places, progression was changed dramatically and professions became a legit way of ascending in power as time went on.  So you have a ton of things to choose from and a ton of things you can change that do not fit a MMO environment.  It wouldn't be Skyrm anyways, it would be TES Universe Online.  

What won't work?  Full loot and FFA PvP?  No, it will actually.  It has worked, but there hasn't been a AAA MMO made around this concept despite massive support by gaming forums everywhere since possible UO.  Think about what WoW would be like if the only thing that you changed was the loot and the ability to kill anyone, anywhere, and take all of their stuff.  What exactly would be different?  You may not have 10 million people playing the game, but I have little doubt that it wouldn't be a niche title only able to support 10 thousand players.  Hell, EVE topped around 300k and that is a space game, that most people aren't even interested in.  Imagine if you do the same thing with a fantasy setting, with a IP that supports it.  There's no reason that TESO couldn't be as strong, if not stronger than RIFT in playerbase numbers.

I need to get out of this mindset.  Convincing people who have little use for logic or reasoning, as well as hard facts is near impossible.  Stop it, stop it!  Bad me!

Darkfall is a collasal joke and has no longevity whatsoever.  Is filled with sociopaths and douchbags, has tons of troubles and has a population of about 30 players.

Not to mention the combat is the most boring and has the visual appeal of a rotting tomatoe.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.