Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New players beware

Comments

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

So... as an experiment... I put a Slasher right outside Rens VI - Moon 8 - Brutor Tribe. I went AFK. I left it there for 3 hours.

Nothing happened to it.

Originally posted by Sentime

Most if not all player corps that invite complete noobs, that don't even bother to do the tutorials, only do so the target noob can waste his time flying to nullsec (probably dying a lot trying to get there too) for their entertainment.   If somehow you make it to nullsec they'll blow up your crappy ship, pod you, and laugh at your expense.

Don't say you havn't been warned.

Unles you're extrmely unlucky, Highsec is very safe for new players and a great place to learn.

Very well put.

Nevertheless, most corps I joined were... OK. There was one griefer corp, it happens. But I think a new player is far better off in an NPC corp for a month or two.

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by tordurbar

Though to some degree I will side with the OP, but even I have to step in and call BS on some of this persons claims.  First off CCP has zero tolerance policy toward messing with new players(called rookies) - zero tolerance - first infraction can get your account a two week ban.  They have a list of systems that are considered "new player" or "rookie systems" and if you are caught "flipping-cans" or "baiting" new players into PvP - ban.  

Here is a list of the rookie areas and this includes the "Sisters of EVE" tutorial mission system.   Rookie Systems List.

There have been many onging discussions between CCP and the players discussing this very topic.    CCP has been extremely straight forward and vocal about vets messing with newer players.  Here is just one of the discussions about rookie pilots that stretched on for 32 pages over a few days on the forums.  https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=100978

I may not agree with everything CCP does and I may have my gripes about EVE, but please do not come to the forum boards and spew BS.   People that play the game and know the game read these forums as well and though EVE is a very unforgiving game, it is not as bad as the OP makes it sound like it is.  

If CCP is so against new player ganking then why do they allow hulkameggon (or something like that). I would belive this if they restricted pvp in 1.0 systems to voluntary but that would violoate their whole philosophy. No. CCP knows what is happening and is fine with it. I had a fun time with Eve but will never go back. I am exactly the type of player that CCP does not want - a care bear. 

Sorry that I am re-iterating views that have annoyed CCP (and the hard-core players) for many years. I would be a long term subscriber to Eve. Just give me absolute protection in 1.0 space. Nope. Pissing in the wind. So, like the wind, I am gone. (Yes, good riddance to you too!)

If you are flying a mining barge like a retriever, or an exhumer, like a Hulk, you are not a rookie pilot any longer.    It takes more than a month of training to get into a retriever and longer to get into a hulk.   

I have to disagree, the hulk is one thing but in EVE terms you are still a newbie if you have just gotten your Retriever and they are now targeting the T1 barges as well.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Lowcaian

Though to some degree I will side with the OP, but even I have to step in and call BS on some of this persons claims.  First off CCP has zero tolerance policy toward messing with new players(called rookies) - zero tolerance - first infraction can get your account a two week ban.  They have a list of systems that are considered "new player" or "rookie systems" and if you are caught "flipping-cans" or "baiting" new players into PvP - ban.  

Here is a list of the rookie areas and this includes the "Sisters of EVE" tutorial mission system.   Rookie Systems List.

There have been many onging discussions between CCP and the players discussing this very topic.    CCP has been extremely straight forward and vocal about vets messing with newer players.  Here is just one of the discussions about rookie pilots that stretched on for 32 pages over a few days on the forums.  https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=100978

I may not agree with everything CCP does and I may have my gripes about EVE, but please do not come to the forum boards and spew BS.   People that play the game and know the game read these forums as well and though EVE is a very unforgiving game, it is not as bad as the OP makes it sound like it is.  

If CCP is so against new player ganking then why do they allow hulkameggon (or something like that). I would belive this if they restricted pvp in 1.0 systems to voluntary but that would violoate their whole philosophy. No. CCP knows what is happening and is fine with it. I had a fun time with Eve but will never go back. I am exactly the type of player that CCP does not want - a care bear. 

Sorry that I am re-iterating views that have annoyed CCP (and the hard-core players) for many years. I would be a long term subscriber to Eve. Just give me absolute protection in 1.0 space. Nope. Pissing in the wind. So, like the wind, I am gone. (Yes, good riddance to you too!)

If you are flying a mining barge like a retriever, or an exhumer, like a Hulk, you are not a rookie pilot any longer.    It takes more than a month of training to get into a retriever and longer to get into a hulk.   

I have to disagree, the hulk is one thing but in EVE terms you are still a newbie if you have just gotten your Retriever and they are now targeting the T1 barges as well.

Of course people are targeting t1 barges.   They cost millions and the mods are worth millions.    What some of you want is zero risk factor.   You want to play EVE and avoid PvP.   I am sorry, but that is not going to happen.   When you start mining, you are in direct competition with every other miner in the game.   When you put ORE's and minerals up on the market you are competing with others for that market - and that is PvP.    EVE revolves around the building and destruction of things.   When things go boom, it requires ore and minerals to replace it.    If there are 10's of thousands of miners putting ore on the market it lowers the price of the ore and that effects other miners trying to make money.     So people are naturally going to fight over resources and the markets on which those resources are sold.    That is EVE.   It has always been that way.    EVE will never be a game where you have zero risk.  If it ever did allow for players to do something that effects the game Universe that is EVE by taking zero risk the game of EVE would die over night.

EVE is not for everyone.  EVE is a niche game.   EVE is an unforgiving bitch that seduces you with dreams of good game play, but if you ever turn your back on her she'll cut your throat, gauge out your eyes and leave your cold dead carcass floating in the void of the black and not think twice about it.  

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Of course people are targeting t1 barges.   They cost millions and the mods are worth millions.    What some of you want is zero risk factor.   You want to play EVE and avoid PvP.   I am sorry, but that is not going to happen.   When you start mining, you are in direct competition with every other miner in the game.   When you put ORE's and minerals up on the market you are competing with others for that market - and that is PvP.    EVE revolves around the building and destruction of things.   When things go boom, it requires ore and minerals to replace it.    If there are 10's of thousands of miners putting ore on the market it lowers the price of the ore and that effects other miners trying to make money.     So people are naturally going to fight over resources and the markets on which those resources are sold.    That is EVE.   It has always been that way.    EVE will never be a game where you have zero risk.  If it ever did allow for players to do something that effects the game Universe that is EVE by taking zero risk the game of EVE would die over night.

EVE is not for everyone.  EVE is a niche game.   EVE is an unforgiving bitch that seduces you with dreams of good game play, but if you ever turn your back on her she'll cut your throat, gauge out your eyes and leave your cold dead carcass floating in the void of the black and not think twice about it.  

Because of all of this a PVE server will not be to far in the Future.

" Hail Goonies " Hail

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

" Hail Goonies " Hail

Elsabolts banging on about a pve server for EVE.... what a refreshing change.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Thank you for the support

MAGA
  • GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

New Players NEED to spend some time in high sec in order to make the money needed to survive being a noob.

There is no way you are going out to zero-sec on day one and making enough to progress through the initial ship classes. If you lose your crappy frigs, thats like losing a fortune in the first days. Plus, you usually have to fly back out to high sec just to pick up the damned ships, and that means passing through camped gates.

The whole OP is pretty misunderstanding of the entire nature of the game.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

" Hail Goonies " Hail

Never - ever - ever - going to happen, so you might as well move on.

Never say Never young lady?

MAGA
  • LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

So from a statement that you can still be a new player in a Retty and that T1 barges now are targeted you come to the conclusion that I want a risk free mmorpg? Impressive logic. A Retriever cost 8 million that is not even pocket change to older players but might be a great deal to the guy who just bought his shiny new barge.

People always pull up the argument that mining and the market is pvp in order to defend their actions when blowing up someone. That is a shit argument. Why? Because if I miss a sale because another guy was cheaper my ore does not go Boom! It's still there and I have a chance to make a sale later on.

"EVE is not for everyone.  EVE is a niche game.   EVE is an unforgiving bitch that seduces you with dreams of good game play, but if you ever turn your back on her she'll cut your throat, gauge out your eyes and leave your cold dead carcass floating in the void of the black and not think twice about it.  "

That is bullshit mumbo jumbo from people who want to think that a game somehow matters and that their epen somehow sticks when they log out.

• BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570

Thank you for the support

Bahahaha I lol'd and then i farted and then I lol'd some more.

On a side note. I respect CCP for making a game that caters to a niche. Devs should make games according to their vision and with a target demographic in mind. In my opinion, Vision should far outweigh the importance of the target demographics desires. In game development lately all I see is Devs creating games they think there is a demand for but that lack any sort of vision. Im not sure why this is in MMOs, whereas in fast food and the clothing industry etc. copying something that has worked well  in the past with a small twist will often allow you to be quite successful. In these carbon copy games, when gamers log in, they are unimpressed with the vapid world and either complete much of the game quickly and joylessly or find their interest quickly taper off.

There is an initial hurdle to experiencing something new. It can be uncomfortable as new things often are for us. But if there is enough interest in a game to see us through the tutorials and some of the learning curve, imo, we are able to derive more enjoyment from the new experience then if we were to play a game very similar to one we have played in the past.

Personally Eve both attracts and repels me. But it definately intrigues me. If I didn't already know really chill people who play Eve, I would definitely think most of the players were douchebags. Its quite possible most still are and I have only met some of the good apples. Who knows... kudos to CCP though, even if they are dbags too.

I love snails.
    I love every kinda snail.
    I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
    Cant hug every snail.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

lol I played 6-8 hours of the game myself and encountered all the same stuff the OP posted in just that short amount of time.

It definitely ruined the game for me and i will never return.

Thankfully its not that great a game in my opinion. I could just bring up my desktop and spam the right click button on my mouse and get the same experience.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

Originally posted by monstermmo

lol I played 6-8 hours of the game myself and encountered all the same stuff the OP posted in just that short amount of time.

Thankfully its not that great a game in my opinion. I could just bring up my desktop and spam the right click button on my mouse and get the same experience.

Teala Humm, wonder if he is the only one who feels this way. One wonders ?

MAGA

So from a statement that you can still be a new player in a Retty and that T1 barges now are targeted you come to the conclusion that I want a risk free mmorpg? Impressive logic. A Retriever cost 8 million that is not even pocket change to older players but might be a great deal to the guy who just bought his shiny new barge.

People always pull up the argument that mining and the market is pvp in order to defend their actions when blowing up someone. That is a shit argument. Why? Because if I miss a sale because another guy was cheaper my ore does not go Boom! It's still there and I have a chance to make a sale later on.

"EVE is not for everyone.  EVE is a niche game.   EVE is an unforgiving bitch that seduces you with dreams of good game play, but if you ever turn your back on her she'll cut your throat, gauge out your eyes and leave your cold dead carcass floating in the void of the black and not think twice about it.  "

That is bullshit mumbo jumbo from people who want to think that a game somehow matters and that their epen somehow sticks when they log out.

I think you are taking EVE too seriously.   It is just a game.  If you cannot deal with losing something - then EVE is not the game for you.   Oh, and you forgot to add the cost of the strip miners and crystals, and mods, and rigs that go on that 8 mil retriever.  All said and done...you're looking at a 20mil+.   Tasty prize for a new player that is looking to turn pirate.  :)

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

I think it has been stated several times that EVE is not for everyone. However I think you make eve seem much darker than it really is.

In my first year in EVE I did nothing but mine and a few missions, and greifing was not that much of a problem. Can flipping is allowed cause your basicly jettisoning your cargo into space in a none protected container, basicly a invitation for peeps to take it or can flip. Grifers stay in high density areas, so you can basicly reduce that risk by moving away from the core worlds and hubs. besides being a little carefull will go along way.

And btw greifers love peeps who makes a number in local, it makes their day...

I think you are taking EVE too seriously.   It is just a game.  If you cannot deal with losing something - then EVE is not the game for you.   Oh, and you forgot to add the cost of the strip miners and crystals, and mods, and rigs that go on that 8 mil retriever.  All said and done...you're looking at a 20mil+.   Tasty prize for a new player that is looking to turn pirate.  :)

Or CCP losing subs steadly, im sure there is a bottom line some where. Or not ?

MAGA
    Originally posted by monstermmo

Teala Humm, wonder if he is the only one who feels this way. One wonders ?

He probably thought the warning message he got just before he tried to steal from someones can was a joke and got spanked.   ::shrugs:: Live and learn.

EVE hasn't been losing subs.   Last fanfest they said they were gaining subs.  Of all the MMO's EVE has steadily gained subs while others steadily lose subs.  

EVE hasn't been losing subs.   Last fanfest they said they were gaining subs.  Of all the MMO's EVE has steadily gained subs while others steadily lose subs.  

I think the Goonies are determand to try and change this and much more, time will tell.

MAGA
  • RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by Thane

seriously, what do you think that is? some kind of joke? eve is no joke, eve is serious gaming :)

love it or leave it. but you cant deny it's unique

and yes, if you played wow before (and maybe even ONLY wow), welcome to a new world.

toto, I've a feeling we're not in kansas anymore!

The term "serious gaming" is highly amusing.

Edit: Also, EVE has been losing subs, the numbers show it.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Speaking of sub numbers is it time to post this link again?  http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

Past 24, lol @ subs dropping.

Past week, yeah, not seeing it.

Past month, again, see above.

Past 3 months, hmm...  wait a sec.

Past 6 months, uh oh.

Past year.  Wow, that's definitely a decline.

Just saying, please carry on!

o7

[edit] Someone really needs to redo that learning curve graph to bring it out of last decade.

• Chemist18Chemist18 Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by GTwander

New Players NEED to spend some time in high sec in order to make the money needed to survive being a noob.

There is no way you are going out to zero-sec on day one and making enough to progress through the initial ship classes. If you lose your crappy frigs, thats like losing a fortune in the first days. Plus, you usually have to fly back out to high sec just to pick up the damned ships, and that means passing through camped gates.

The whole OP is pretty misunderstanding of the entire nature of the game.

I think you misunderstood me.  I said to get out of 1.0, I didn't mean go to null or losec.  Any system from 0.5 to 0.9 will do.  While I was in the 1.0 system I was targeted in some way every few minutes, however as soon as I moved to a 0.7 system the harrassment vanished.

I didn't go to losec or null until I could fly Transports and Stealth Bombers.

I skipped virtually all of the tutorials ingame, however I did a lot of reading and watched a lot of tutorial videos.

Someone said in one post that I was probably "unlucky", well when it comes to being "lucky" I fail miserably.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

The thing with EVE is that people do what they want, and you really can't stop them.  Thats why safety is a main issue for most players.  Saying your never safe is...somewhat true.  Most people's instincts develop thinking that the world is always cruel, therefore its natural to think that you're never safe.  Oh and whoever said to leave 1.0 immediatly is highly wrong.  Do the tutorials, gain some knowledge, find some friendlies.  EVE wont hold you hand through the rest, which is part of the reason why its such a great game. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Chemist18Chemist18 Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

The thing with EVE is that people do what they want, and you really can't stop them.  Thats why safety is a main issue for most players.  Saying your never safe is...somewhat true.  Most people's instincts develop thinking that the world is always cruel, therefore its natural to think that you're never safe.  Oh and whoever said to leave 1.0 immediatly is highly wrong.  Do the tutorials, gain some knowledge, find some friendlies.  EVE wont hold you hand through the rest, which is part of the reason why its such a great game. 

I was the one that said to leave 1.0.  It might not be the best strategy all of the time but at that time it was the way I escaped the griefers. 

I was fooled by a can flipper once, I told him I was filing a petition, he seemed quite upset about that.  Based on my experience he had no reason to be because the CCP representative that responded to my petition essentially told me to piss off.  Perhaps on a different day or with a different CCP rep the response would have been different?

No doubt my learning curve would have been much easier to follow had I been able to do the tutorials.

Ever seen what happens when someone in an interceptor going at high speed rams one of the Rookie ships?

Ever finish killing the ship you were sent to kill, only to have someone swoop in and steal the item you need?

• andypandyrandypandyr Member UncommonPosts: 89

I dont get the Op on this , Eve is a game I have tried to get into about 10 times now after the buying the game twice and on about 10 different free trials etc , sadly I have always failed to get to grips with it but I also know its wonderful game.

In all the times I have played it I have never been harrassed or griefed by any other players on the contrary , I found everyone I talked to extremley helpful and friendly .. just wanted to put this here to say maybe the OP is exaggerating just a little.