Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat is terrible, worse beyond Kingsmouth

Comments

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

I agree, combat is boring in TSW.

It isn't so much about the button mashing (because that's pretty common as other have stated) but the fact that abilities are so boring.

Yes, you can get a skill that stuns if the target has a bleed on them.  Ok, so you get a bleed ability and the stun ability.  The fact that you're limited to I think 7 skill slots really kills it.  You basically have a very simple rotation and thats it.  Put a debuff on target, cast another spell that gets a bonus because of that debuff, now spam your basic builder attack till you're ready to repeat the first process.

Combat never changes.  You always do the same thing from one fight to the next.  I'll use a very VERY basic example of how a simple combat system can still be fun.

In WoW, as a druid, I could sneak around in cat form, ambush someone for big damage, unload a few attacks then switch to bear form and do a few more attacks and a big stun.  I would then switch to human and cast a root, take a few steps back, heal myself, switch back into bear form and charge them to interrupt a spell cast or something.  Maybe switch to cat form again?  Maybe stay bear...  I would have TONS of options in combat.  Each fight would be very different.  

That is what this game lacks, you have 7 skills and thats it.  Those skills always do the same thing no matter what and never change.  They really should have given you two sets of 7 skills, one for each weapon.  Allowing you to switch between then changing your build and playstyle.   But instead you get limited to one set of 7 which really makes having 2 weapons pointless as they share those limited 7 slots.

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

Or you use team dynamics, where different members produce or exploit different states or effects.

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by wombat5x5

I have wanted to love this game, but I can't. It's just tedious. The combat is a horrible button mash fest. Everything else is stellar. The atmosphere is perfect, the quests are fine. But the combat is atrocious. AOC was sooo much better in this area. I've gone back to lotro and won't be renewing my sub. I appreciate TSW and what it's trying to be, but I don't have the time or patience for it. Instead of getting better, things just get worse as you progress. Crafting is a pain in the ass instead of something to look forward to. It seems like tedium and repetition are the games replacement for leveling up due to lack of content. Otherwise, a small area takes forever due to really slow advancement and the intention of keeping players in one area as long as possible. On top of that, there is very little reference to secret societies and all that. TOTALLY dissappointed...

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion even if you are wrong.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

This is the exact reason I didn't purchase it. I loved everything but the combat.

Those talking about "decks" and what not. Sure, there is some synergy you can probably get into, but I never got that far into beta to really explore it. It still comes down to only having 8 skills. I found myself pretty much just mashing 2-3 buttons the entire time, and firing off the other 5-6 for defensive CD's, or special boosts in combat. Other than that though, it doesn't feel all that in depth.

This has nothing to do with "tab targetting". Dodging simply seems stupid in the game. You can only do it 1 time and the CD is incredibly long. Also, the fact that every single deck (no matter what you combine) is a "WoW Rogue" combat point system. It just doesn't feel different enough.

Combine that with the incredible lack of replayability in the game, it is pretty much a 1 and done as far as creating characters. Again, the story and the quests I thought were great, but the gameplay (combat, what you are doing 90% of the time playing) is simply too mashy and boring, I thought.

To each their own, but I can see how people get bored of this. I was within 2-4 hours of playing the beta. Pulling X amount of mobs, popping a few CD's and spamming 2 AoE's to kill them all. Too easy, too brainless.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Gargola

I now do as Aerowyn states, changing builds from encounter to encounter depending on the enemies i'm about to face.  I usually had my main solo build (basically my main DPS one) but having builds for different purpose makes it all much fun and dynamic.

it is possible to go around just using the same build, yes, but it's like going to a restaurant, seing 20 different meals, all good, all enjoyable, all with their own "flavor" and spice, then always selecting the same, no matter what, over and over again.  If on top of that you then complaint about lack of variety, well... it's completely on you.

I don't have a problem with variety and I love the fact that you can use just about any weapon or ability in the game. It's more with the fact that once you're set on a build, the game forces you into spamming the same 2-3 buttons with pretty much every spec. Sure you could use 7 attacks if you wanted to spice up the combat, but it's not very effective. You're better off using 1 builder and the one or two consumers that better complement your passives. The rest of the points are better spent in utility skills that generally have long cooldowns.

This isn't just me either, everywhere I look, even in the hardest of content, I see people spamming the same 2-3 abilities all the time. When I look at their builds, that's pretty much all the attacks they have. These are good players, too. Why do they do that? Because it's the most effective way to get things done.

I personally don't think it should be, but for me being effective comes first. I'd love for my tank to have a very complex rotation with various different attacks, but I can't because if I pick more attacks I'd have to give up defensive cooldowns, interrupts and taunts, thereby making things harder for my team. So I spam the same ability, because I can't afford to use more.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Krytycal

I now do as Aerowyn states, changing builds from encounter to encounter depending on the enemies i'm about to face.  I usually had my main solo build (basically my main DPS one) but having builds for different purpose makes it all much fun and dynamic.

it is possible to go around just using the same build, yes, but it's like going to a restaurant, seing 20 different meals, all good, all enjoyable, all with their own "flavor" and spice, then always selecting the same, no matter what, over and over again.  If on top of that you then complaint about lack of variety, well... it's completely on you.

I don't have a problem with variety and I love the fact that you can use just about any weapon or ability in the game. It's more with the fact that once you're set on a build, the game forces you into spamming the same 2-3 buttons with pretty much every spec. Sure you could use 7 attacks if you wanted to spice up the combat, but it's not very effective. You're better off using 1 builder and the one or two consumers that better complement your passives. The rest of the points are better spent in utility skills that generally have long cooldowns.

This isn't just me either, everywhere I look, even in the hardest of content, I see people spamming the same 2-3 abilities all the time. When I look at their builds, that's pretty much all the attacks they have. These are good players, too. Why do they do that? Because it's the most effective way to get things done.

I personally don't think it should be, but for me being effective comes first. I'd love for my tank to have a very complex rotation with various different attacks, but I can't because if I pick more attacks I'd have to give up defensive cooldowns, interrupts and taunts, thereby making things harder for my team. So I spam the same ability, because I can't afford to use more.

curious as to which MMO has this because I have played tank in countless MMOs and can't remember playing one that had what I would call a complex rotation to tank anything.. come to think of it can't remember any MMO ever having a complex rotation per say.. some you had more options for differn't situations like dominators in Rift or Druids in WoW and such but overall the min/max rotations people fall into are far from complex in most cases... also don't see diablo fans complain they only get 6 buttons total either or fps complain they mainly only using two buttons.. not everything is about how many buttons you get to use

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

curious as to which MMO has this because I have played tank in countless MMOs and can't remember playing one that had what I would call a complex rotation to tank anything.. come to think of it can't remember any MMO ever having a complex rotation per say.. some you had more options for differn't situations like dominators in Rift or Druids in WoW and such but overall the min/max rotations people fall into are far from complex in most cases... also don't see diablo fans complain they only get 6 buttons total either or fps complain they mainly only using two buttons.. not everything is about how many buttons you get to use

Last MMO I tanked in was City of Heroes. I played a SS/Electric tank. I used 4 attacks at least. All with CDs under 15 secs, or even faster depending on how much attack speed I was using at the moment.

This is the first MMO where my tanking rotation consists of hitting one button 90% of the time.

Last MMO I tanked in was City of Heroes. I played a SS/Electric tank. I used 4 attacks at least. All with CDs under 15 secs, or even faster depending on how much attack speed I was using at the moment.

This is the first MMO where my tanking rotation consists of hitting one button 90% of the time.

you can easily setup a tank build in this game to utilize all 7 active skills and use them all constantly.. so not really sure what your issue is if you enjoyed CoH and were fine with a 4 button rotation. You could also setup multiple tank builds depending on the mob setup and difficulty not to mention depending on how strong your group is.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

you can easily setup a tank build in this game to utilize all 7 active skills and use them all constantly.. so not really sure what your issue is if you enjoyed CoH and were fine with a 4 button rotation.

I'm sure you could, but that tank won't make it past the first boss in NM Polaris.

you can easily setup a tank build in this game to utilize all 7 active skills and use them all constantly.. so not really sure what your issue is if you enjoyed CoH and were fine with a 4 button rotation.

I'm sure you could, but that tank won't make it past the first boss in NM Polaris.

says you, as I'm sure you have tried all the combinations. Give this a try its not one button and works just fine

http://tswguides.blogspot.com/2012/06/weakened-tank-build-chaoshammer.html

says you, as I'm sure you have tried all the combinations

I've tried quite a few, which is more than you and most posters in this thread have tried.

I've tried quite a few, which is more than you and most posters in this thread have tried.

posted a build above and others on that site work fine.. there's choices out there for people who want to use them.. if you are stuck on one button tanking that's on you.

posted a build above and others on that site work fine.. there's choices out there for people who want to use them.. if you are stuck on one button tanking that's on you.

The build you linked is not very good. Which I guess is why Ryahl said it was an elite tanking build for people on an AP budget. Just because anything works at that level doesn't mean it's good. That build won't cut it in nightmare. No interrupts, only 1 defensive CD, next.

The build you linked is not very good. Which I guess is why Ryahl said uit was an elite tanking build for people on an AP budget. Just because anything works at that level doesn't mean it's good. That build won't cut it in nightmare. No interrupts, only 1 defensive CD, next.

depends on the rest of the group as well.. worked fine in CB.. but if you hate the combat in this game so much why even play?

The build you linked is not very good. Which I guess is why Ryahl said uit was an elite tanking build for people on an AP budget. Just because anything works at that level doesn't mean it's good. That build won't cut it in nightmare. No interrupts, only 1 defensive CD, next.

depends on the rest of the group as well.. worked fine in CB.. but if you hate the combat in this game so much why even play?

It doesn't depend on the rest of the group. It's the tank's reponsibility to interrupt high priority attacks and have a couple defensive CDs to keep pressure off the healer when things get hairy. You can't expect your group to do everything for you. They already have their hands full doing things that you cannot do as a tank. Fortunately interrupting and using defensive CDs are some of the things you CAN do. For that build to work in NM you'll need to drop Smash and Call of Ebris and replace them with the aforementioned utility.

I play this game because I enjoy its other aspects.

It doesn't depend on the rest of the group. It's the tank's reponsibility to interrupt high priority attacks and have a couple defensive CDs to keep pressure off the healer when things get hairy. You can't expect your group to do everything for you. They already have their hands full doing things that you cannot do as a tank. Fortunately interrupting and using defensive CDs are some of the things you CAN do. For that build to work in NM you'll need to drop Smash and Call of Ebris and replace them with the aforementioned utility.

great thing about the combat system if you hate tanking in NM don't tank then heal or dps since you are not locked into that role anyway. I honestly hate healing in pretty much any MMO but not going to say combat sucks as a whole because I hate healing and find it mind numbingly boring.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

Listening to the replies here no one being overly rude for once and trying to be helpful but honestly the skill wheel does need a lot of work. IMO when playing around with that skill wheel sure i can make a bunch of different builds and make things viable but it doesnt change the fact the wheel itself is way wacky and out of order . So many skills that shouldnt be in elite trees and so many lower skills you shouldnt get until your deep in the wheels. Im bored and like most of my friends warned me about who did beta also are not playing anymore. I still enjoy going out and playing shoot em up like a resident evil or left3dead game but after about an hour im wore out and ready to go play something with actual progression. Right now ive found the two builds i love and have them and all im doing is opening up AP for skills in builds I will never play because they are not my playstyle. I personally like the idea of the wheel but like i said it shouldnt take forever to kill one mob. LEave the forced grouping to dungeons and elite area's , not running quests thats just tedious. Time will tell who is right and who is wrong but from the looks on the funcom forums its quite a bit of people thinking the ability wheel and zones above SC suck.

• bomber23ausbomber23aus Member Posts: 13

Back to LOTR which obviously has no "Button mashing"

Originally posted by bomber23aus

Back to LOTR which obviously has no "Button mashing"

lol yeah im not fan right now of the combat in the secret world but going back to lotr online is well not a very good leg to stand on but to each their own lotr is probably the most snoozefest combat of any game ive played. I think id rather go play battleship or tick tac toe

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by cronius77

Listening to the replies here no one being overly rude for once and trying to be helpful but honestly the skill wheel does need a lot of work. IMO when playing around with that skill wheel sure i can make a bunch of different builds and make things viable but it doesnt change the fact the wheel itself is way wacky and out of order . So many skills that shouldnt be in elite trees and so many lower skills you shouldnt get until your deep in the wheels. Im bored and like most of my friends warned me about who did beta also are not playing anymore. I still enjoy going out and playing shoot em up like a resident evil or left3dead game but after about an hour im wore out and ready to go play something with actual progression. Right now ive found the two builds i love and have them and all im doing is opening up AP for skills in builds I will never play because they are not my playstyle. I personally like the idea of the wheel but like i said it shouldnt take forever to kill one mob. LEave the forced grouping to dungeons and elite area's , not running quests thats just tedious. Time will tell who is right and who is wrong but from the looks on the funcom forums its quite a bit of people thinking the ability wheel and zones above SC suck.

The outer wheel skills are specialized and specific with a damage type, the inner wheel skills are generic.

No ones saying you cant mix and match and its not saying the inner basic skills are weak, its just when you want to take advantage of your weapons specializations you look at the outer wheel subsections.  Each weapon has 4 specific themes, usually 2 are specific to damage type with the other two offering special active and passive abilitis that are themed.

Such as deploying defensive turrets, having group defensive buffs, high damage single target dps based on strike or blast damage...just 3 out of the shotgun wheel, forget the 4th off hand.

They are seperated for this reason.  You wont have a lame build using just inner circle skills since they are generic and dummy proof, the outer skills require some form of symmetry to really be effective.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

great thing about the combat system if you hate tanking in NM don't tank then heal or dps since you are not locked into that role anyway. I honestly hate healing in pretty much any MMO but not going to say combat sucks as a whole because I hate healing and find it mind numbingly boring.

You seem to be missing his point, although I agree with you.

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

Currently playing the game and in Fusang the persistent pvp warfront , any player that ends up spamming 1 or 2 buttons ends up dying due to a lack of abilities.  It has become extremely competitive and I end up using all 7 actives all the time, additionally my passives a continually tweaked to adapt to the overall gameplay tactics of the enemy. 

I am a Hammer/Chaos user with 1100sp,  52% of the wheel completed and full QL 10.03 gear and blue signets and its very hard just using two buttons to beat someone, or some of the quests in the world.

Originally posted by Kost

You seem to be missing his point, although I agree with you.

i get the point it just doesn't bother me as much as it bothers some other people.. I also don't see hitting the same couple of keys automatically makes the combat system shallow, boring, and dull.... I will say the overall feel and "weight" to combat needs to be improved but overall mechanics I don't really have an issue with

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Laross

Currently playing the game and in Fusang the persistent pvp warfront , any player that ends up spamming 1 or 2 buttons ends up dying due to a lack of abilities.  It has become extremely competitive and I end up using all 7 actives all the time, additionally my passives a continually tweaked to adapt to the overall gameplay tactics of the enemy. 

I am a Hammer/Chaos user with 1100sp,  52% of the wheel completed and full QL 10.03 gear and blue signets and its very hard just using two buttons to beat someone, or some of the quests in the world.

Not quite 1100 sp here, but other than that I have 10.03 gear as well and am Hammer/Chaos.

I agree completely. Good luck to anyone that tries to best me in Fusang with one or two abilities, not going to happen. Same story with the situation reversed, I'd get smoked using one or two abilities unless the opponent was a complete incompetent.

It is absolutely competitive.

Originally posted by Laross

okay maybe your servers but thats not even true on mine at all. You have two builds currently a disarm build that has you down to like 1/4 life before the rediciulous timer runs out or that stupid dying build that lets you do 30% more damage as the player is dead and turns around wiping out 3 people to him dying. Maybe i should roll on your server then because our fusang is a POS seriously. Lets see what happens starts out with like 10 dragon about 15 templars and about 30 illums , then 20 mins later im usually the only templar in fusang and all i see is illums no dragons. Everytime i enter fusang now all i wanted to do is play GW2 and get away from the cheese in the secret world pvp. Reminds me of old sheep builds back in WOW and you didnt have all those break frees.