Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW: 2012 Game of the Year?

With a user rating of over 9, will this be 2012's Game of the Year? Or will that title eventually fall to Guild Wars 2 after it is released?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

my guess would still be GW2 as it has more mass appeal. Both are great games though.. Good MMO year 2012 has become:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

There was already a thre about this.

And like i said in that thread, GOTY award is determined by the popularity of the title, not by the quality. TSW isn't a mainstream game that will sell as much as other video games, including GW2, which means it can't get that award

Also, GOTY is a pure joke and if you take it seriosly, then i must laugh hard.

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by Painbringer

With a user rating of over 9, will this be 2012's Game of the Year? Or will that title eventually fall to Guild Wars 2 after it is released?

No TSW will not last until the end of the year, 8 zones of content, not the best PvP and then there is no raids. The game may be fun now, but it's going to flop in the long run and will be forced to go F2P.

Also, in what possible way does having a sticker in the box that says GOTY, which translates to "I got an award for being popular" improve my gaming experience? The devs get a trophy or whatever. I still get the same exact game. So, i should give a fu** because.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

They are both winners in my eyes and I'd dread having to choose between the two when deciding who gets the crown.

Graphics, atmosphere, innovation, story - TSW

Graphics, innovation, size, dynamic events - gw2

Wouldnt bet on one or the other. Sure the above points can be argued one way or another by fans and haters but that is why it would be such a difficult decision to make. I know which one "wins" for me but it does so on opinion really, not on anything specifically technical.

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

Not even close. This game didn't even last me a week.

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by JonnyBigBoss

This not to mention so many easily forget the past. I want all of you raving this as the greatest thing out in years to clearly remember your words when you come back next month crying and complaining about how bad it is. This game was the greatest pipe dream with the worst execution. Couple that with the worst payment model to date and you got disaster. What's most of you going to be saying when your box/digital cost + sub+ cash shop goes to freemium in the next few months? I smell a zerg of anger approaching quickly and FC is gouging to the fullest extent knowing they are going to go full f2p.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

Originally posted by sonicbrew

This not to mention so many easily forget the past. I want all of you raving this as the greatest thing out in years to clearly remember your words when you come back next month crying and complaining about how bad it is. This game was the greatest pipe dream with the worst execution. Couple that with the worst payment model to date and you got disaster. What's most of you going to be saying when your box/digital cost + sub+ cash shop goes to freemium in the next few months? I smell a zerg of anger approaching quickly and FC is gouging to the fullest extent knowing they are going to go full f2p.

Yep the 9 rating here on MMORPG.com is  disgusting, im trying to get that number down so people don't waste their money playing this game.

Originally posted by Sebber

Yep the 9 rating here on MMORPG.com is  disgusting, im trying to get that number down so people don't waste their money playing this game.

I don't qualify quality by quantity. The out of box experience is to me the most unique mmo one to try in terms of any coming out this year, better than Rift easily. No themepark last more then 3, so i'd take 1-2 with TSW, than others, but i still like them (maybe expect PS2, but that's free, adn awesome, maybe). But, again, no, not GOTY, which is a joke.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Game is a lot of fun just because you don't like it doesn't mean others will not enjoy it,  I let people judge things for themselves as taste is subjective

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

I don't qualify quality by quantity. The out of box experience is to me the most unique mmo one to try in terms of any coming out this year, better than Rift easily. No themepark last more then 3, so i'd take 1-2 with TSW, than others, but i still like them (maybe expect PS2, but that's free, adn awesome, maybe). But, again, no, not GOTY, which is a joke.

This game have a sub fee, if people are leaving this after 2-3 month the game is a failure, doesn't matter how the content is in it.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

im pretty sure GW2 will be GOTY 2012. GOTY dont mean quality??? as i remember most of GOTY were amazing games, possible not the best of that year but for sure amazing. 

This game have a sub fee, if people are leaving this after 2-3 month the game is a failure, doesn't matter how the content is in it.

If people leave GW2 after 2-3 months, which they will, the games a failue too. Both mmos, both need population, don't see the difference.

Game is a lot of fun just because you don't like it doesn't mean others will not enjoy it,  I let people judge things for themselves as taste is subjective

Yes the came may be fun for a couple of months and then what? Unsub spam aka failure.

Originally posted by p_c_sousa

im pretty sure GW2 will be GOTY 2012. GOTY dont mean quality??? as i remember most of GOTY were amazing games, possible not the best of that year but for sure amazing. 

They won it because they're popular. Do you honestly because an indie title, even if original, risky and innovational would win GOTY? I'm not saying those games aren't good, but don't win because of that.

If people leave GW2 after 2-3 months, which they will, the games a failue too. Both mmos, both need population, don't see the difference.

You can't leave a game without a sub fee. I don't play counter strike anymore but i loved that game, and i can still play it if i wan't to. Counter Strike diden't fail even if most of the population left.

You can't leave a game without a sub fee. I don't play counter strike anymore but i loved that game, and i can still play it if i wan't to. Counter Strike diden't fail even if most of the population left.

Failed logic. GW2 needs players to buy packs and waste money on a cash shop. If GW2 as low pop, it means worser wvw battles, less people to group up, less community, etc. Of course you can leave. Just stop playing the game.

Counter strike ins't an mmo, and neither is GW1

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398

Honestly this is the most fun I have ever had in a MMO. Just finished Inferno that was crazy hectic, so much fun. The people who have played this game for more than a couple of hours seem to love it. The people that played beta for a few minutes don't. I am a little concerned about content going forward but I have played 30 hours and I am just past the noob zone. This content should last me a few months, that is way more than I can say for Rift/Swtor/Tera all of which I bought and unsubbed within 2 months. I am thinking about getting a lifetime sub to this game. It has a chance to be for me the best MMO out there so GOY is a no brainer for me.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    I'm sorry but I've play many mmos over the years and by far TSW has captured my attention in the ways I'd hope SWTOR would had. From its mature fresh setting, innovative questing system, welcome back take on 3 way pvp, robust skill system and real world connections to its ingame universe. TSW should be a GoTY no brainer.

I mean to me, like SWTOR, GW2 is both blessed and anchored by its IP. And although its second take on the fantasy setting for mmorpgs looks promising, the whole B2P option and fantasy theme make it a sound and safe bet for investors, article writers and awards. But whatever the outcome is, I'm going to be a very happy mmorpg fan that will enjoy both for several months.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Failed logic. GW2 needs players to buy packs and waste money on a cash shop. If GW2 as low pop, it means worser wvw battles, less people to group up, less community, etc. Of course you can leave. Just stop playing the game.

Well Counter strike 1.6 , made enough money to make another game Counter strike CZ, with made money to make Counter Strike Source with made enough money to make Counter Strike GO.

You can say the same about GW1 here, and will most likely follow over to GW2.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

my guess would still be GW2 as it has more mass appeal. Both are great games though.. Good MMO year 2012 has become:)

This is how I see it as well. After the false start of SWtOR it's good to see a lot of positivety coming from the MMORPG space.

TSW isn't my game by a long shot, but I am glad folks are enjoying it.

With two games trying something new becoming a success maybe we will see more investment in left field ideas in the genre in the future. Both games being successful is good for all of us.

Now all we need is a successful sandbox to land to really blow the doors open...

Well Counter strike 1.6 , made enough money to make another game Counter strike CZ, with made money to make Counter Strike Source with made enough money to make Counter Strike GO.

You can say the same about GW1 here, and will most likely follow over to GW2.

What? Everybody calls AO and AOC complete failure, along with other Funcom games like Bloodline Champions, yet, they just produced and financed TSW all by themselves without a publisher. The important thing is, what does that have to do with anything?

You said that because GW2 doesn't have a sub, it can't fail. However, GW1 could hide it's population, and because it was a co-op game, you didn't need people to do pve, and only a small amount for lobby pvp.

GW2 is a full morpg that requires lots of players to have a community and population spread over multyple servers, people needing each other for groups of DE, dungeons, market, and wvwvw. So, if i see server merges or low pop in the game, how's that any different from any sub based mmo?

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

Exactly, the main thing here is not who gets the "best" title, but that the two that try something different do well, and appear to be the best new entries for 2012.

In a perfect world, good games would be successful and their fans wouldn't bash each other...

Specially when those are games that finally bring fresh elements and move away form the box that MMO's have been stuck in for a decade or more.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by p_c_sousa

They won it because they're popular. Do you honestly because an indie title, even if original, risky and innovational would win GOTY? I'm not saying those games aren't good, but don't win because of that.

uncharted 2, read dead redemption, batman asylum , fallout 3, borderlands, oblivion, skyrim, AC, GoW (just name some)im pretty sure  all have a GOTY version and all are some of best games release on past years. all with very high rated reviews. most of GOTY games i know they are for sure popular but have amazing quality.

IMO if a game have a GOTY version 80% of time have amazing quality

one thing for sure:  2012 is a great year for MMORPG, i didnt like TSW combat/animation but the game have great quality and is far from the tipic WoW based game

Originally posted by Gargola

Exactly, the main thing here is not who gets the "best" title, but that the two that try something different do well, and appear to be the best new entries for 2012.

In a perfect world, good games would be successful and their fans wouldn't bash each other...

Specially when those are games that finally bring fresh elements and move away form the box that MMO's have been stuck in for a decade or more.

image  I like TSW and GW2 equaly because they're both breaking away from the wow model. I don't care about GOTY, so all i know is that i'll eventually enjoy both, if i end up buying them, of course, so they're winners in my book.

And hopefully, others devs will follow for the years to come so we can have more variety and more victors