Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Europeans shafted again

12346»

Comments

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Panthien
    Originally posted by jdnyc

if your going to pay to play a game, you expect to get the same level of service as the rest of the players, if you don't then honestly.. why bother, and its not a small issue, latency is the single biggest factor that affects gameplay in pvp games. its not something that can be 'trivialised' no matter how much 'spin' you try to put on it.image

So instead of a 72 ping - people are getting a 130 ping?  Yes, that is unacceptable.  Clearly.

130 ms latency is pretty bad, 150+ ms latency is a waste of time, clearly..  though i would have to say, i would love to be the one with the 70 ms latency vs the ones with 130+ latency, simply because it makes things far easier to pwn people.. significantly easier in fact. image

Ill ask you again, how did Blizzard resolve the issue with their world wide Arena tournement?

because WoW is a turn based game perhaps?  but thats something you need to check up with from people who actually play it..  a lot of the 'older games' were based on each 'turn' being anything up to 240ms and.. i may be wrong.. but isnt WoW actually a localised game anyway .. so the 'latency'variations shouldnt be that great..  but again.. this is about TSW, not WOW.. where latency is an issue, one that makes a difference.  Personaly, i'd rather lose a pvp match due to skill rather than latency imbalance.  why do we care about Blizzard exactly anyway? image

World of warcraft is turn based?!?! But yes WoW is a localized game but they did/do host world wide (pvp) tournement. World wide as in people from all over the world where competing against eachother.

Regardless you still lose due to skill, trying to find reasons to blame is an unfortunate human trait.

Ive high lighted the part you missed when you read the post the 1st time.

yes believe it or not WoW is actually a turn based game, but way to go to totally avoid the issue of why its such a bad idea in TSW to not have localised servers, especially for PVP orientated gameplay, as an answer you have added new meaning to the whole concept of epic fail..  this is about TSW, and its about servers only being in the USA, and its about the latency between the UK and USA, and oddly enough, the fact that you pay more in the UK to play TSW than you do in the USA.. i think the OP's title for this thread might just be relevant here.  On the other hand, what on earth makes you think the PVP in TSW is anything remotely similar to the PVP in WoW ???? imageimage

Speaking of avoiding the issue, I underlined it, I even used a different collor. They managed to host WORLD WIDE tournements and people from Europe nor Asia nor the US had issues competing against eachother. Lineage2 is another great excample where people from all over the world got involved in pvp/sieges, their region didnt seem to make a big difference on the outcome at all.

Heck the good oll OGL (give or take 15years ago) hosting FPS tournements for games such as Doom, sin. Unreal and tribes competed against eachother on a global lvl. In fps ping makes a much bigger difference betwine a cooldown based type game such as an mmo.

TSW added some minor features, they can artificially adjust ping to put people on a more equal ground, skills using  a line up system.

Im do agree having localized servers would be nice, but the bottom line is people are over inflating the actual issue, in realisty its no where near as bad as people try to make it seem.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by jdnyc

if your going to pay to play a game, you expect to get the same level of service as the rest of the players, if you don't then honestly.. why bother, and its not a small issue, latency is the single biggest factor that affects gameplay in pvp games. its not something that can be 'trivialised' no matter how much 'spin' you try to put on it.image

So instead of a 72 ping - people are getting a 130 ping?  Yes, that is unacceptable.  Clearly.

130 ms latency is pretty bad, 150+ ms latency is a waste of time, clearly..  though i would have to say, i would love to be the one with the 70 ms latency vs the ones with 130+ latency, simply because it makes things far easier to pwn people.. significantly easier in fact. image

Ill ask you again, how did Blizzard resolve the issue with their world wide Arena tournement?

because WoW is a turn based game perhaps?  but thats something you need to check up with from people who actually play it..  a lot of the 'older games' were based on each 'turn' being anything up to 240ms and.. i may be wrong.. but isnt WoW actually a localised game anyway .. so the 'latency'variations shouldnt be that great..  but again.. this is about TSW, not WOW.. where latency is an issue, one that makes a difference.  Personaly, i'd rather lose a pvp match due to skill rather than latency imbalance.  why do we care about Blizzard exactly anyway? image

World of warcraft is turn based?!?! But yes WoW is a localized game but they did/do host world wide (pvp) tournement. World wide as in people from all over the world where competing against eachother.

Regardless you still lose due to skill, trying to find reasons to blame is an unfortunate human trait.

Ive high lighted the part you missed when you read the post the 1st time.

yes believe it or not WoW is actually a turn based game, but way to go to totally avoid the issue of why its such a bad idea in TSW to not have localised servers, especially for PVP orientated gameplay, as an answer you have added new meaning to the whole concept of epic fail..  this is about TSW, and its about servers only being in the USA, and its about the latency between the UK and USA, and oddly enough, the fact that you pay more in the UK to play TSW than you do in the USA.. i think the OP's title for this thread might just be relevant here.  On the other hand, what on earth makes you think the PVP in TSW is anything remotely similar to the PVP in WoW ???? imageimage

Speaking of avoiding the issue, I underlined it, I even used a different collor. They managed to host WORLD WIDE tournements and people from Europe nor Asia nor the US had issues competing against eachother. Lineage2 is another great excample where people from all over the world got involved in pvp/sieges, their region didnt seem to make a big difference on the outcome at all.

Heck the good oll OGL (give or take 15years ago) hosting FPS tournements for games such as Doom, sin. Unreal and tribes competed against eachother on a global lvl. In fps ping makes a much bigger difference betwine a cooldown based type game such as an mmo.

TSW added some minor features, they can artificially adjust ping to put people on a more equal ground, skills using  a line up system.

Im do agree having localized servers would be nice, but the bottom line is people are over inflating the actual issue, in realisty its no where near as bad as people try to make it seem.

the things you are quoting are totally irrelevant.  and no matter how much attempt to trivialise it by quoting factoids from unrelated games..  does nothing to reinforce your arguments, which still totally ignores the facts, in the USA, pvp players will average 40 -70 ms latency, players in the UK and probably a good many other Euro countries, will experience latencies of between 100 - 180ms.. possibly worse. 

if  all interested in is the PVE portion of the game, it will have some impact, but nothing too bad, in PVP though, personally.. its a gamebreaker.  and i wouldnt even attempt to try and compete at that level of imbalance. skill can only go so far to make up the difference, and even a mediocre player would most likely win under those kinds of conditions.image

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

To the Live Server from Munich, Germany on a 100Mbit connection with Fiber at the curb.

Ping statistics for 37.18.192.38:
        Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 106ms, Maximum = 118ms, Average = 108ms

This is pretty much the max physical possible you can get because at the transition points and end points there are switches that add latency even if you get full fiber from curb to the network center of the server. (for east coast US)

25ms Ping to TELIA (The company that does the hosting is TELIA)
    108ms after the hop over the Atlantic.

+75ms for the Transatlantic cable.

The servers we are playing on are from the old Age Of Conan Cluster. These are not new servers. They still have the old DNS (dmXX-nj4.ageofconan.com where dmXX = dm01 to dm05)

Would i like to have European servers? Yes sure, i pay European prices so i want European service.

Will this stop me from playing? Yes, after the free month it will be very hard to justify the monthly fee in EURO.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"