Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Europeans shafted again

Comments

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

I live in Barrow Alaska, because of the way our networks are setup i play at a consistent 600-650 ping in almost all MMOs TSW is no different. 

In LoTRO i was main heals for my raid Kinship.

SWTOR i held several top 5 spots for various aspects in PvP. (too bad i can't stand that game anymore)

GW2 BWE 1 and 2, i participated in WvWvW almost exclusively, through it all i was competitive and with a few minor lag spots enjoyed every minute of it.

When i moved to Barrow AK. from Washington state i was actively playing Darkfall, while i stopped  playing that game a few months after i moved to Alaska, lag was not the issue i quit (my guild disbanded in the month i was away while moving).

I am not complaining about my ping and my location, but i fail to see how someone with a sub 200 ping can be complaining about any MMO at the moment, just seems a bit ridiculous.

Anywho, i will keep playing, and keep enjoying my games, i will admit i cannot be competitive in FPS games like COD or BF3, not sure why Darkfall was so smooth for me with my pings but i never felt i was behind the 8-ball in that game like i do in COD/BF3.

Lolipops !

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I suspect this is a non issue for most of us Europeans playing TSW, the same as it is for most of us playing LotRO, also on  US servers. If it were a FPS PvP game the OP might have a point but isn't , so the relevance is just being blown out of all proportion.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

to all those having probs with the latency:

get a real connection ^^

germany here, no probs at all with lag

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Also remember.. the server infrastructure they use... its a cluster of servers all basically working as one so everything can crossover..

They would have had to have a totally different cluster for the EU and this would mean no crossover with the other people in the world.

• UruktosUruktos Member Posts: 153
    Originally posted by Voiidiin

I live in Barrow Alaska, because of the way our networks are setup i play at a consistent 600-650 ping in almost all MMOs TSW is no different. 

In LoTRO i was main heals for my raid Kinship.

SWTOR i held several top 5 spots for various aspects in PvP. (too bad i can't stand that game anymore)

GW2 BWE 1 and 2, i participated in WvWvW almost exclusively, through it all i was competitive and with a few minor lag spots enjoyed every minute of it.

When i moved to Barrow AK. from Washington state i was actively playing Darkfall, while i stopped  playing that game a few months after i moved to Alaska, lag was not the issue i quit (my guild disbanded in the month i was away while moving).

I am not complaining about my ping and my location, but i fail to see how someone with a sub 200 ping can be complaining about any MMO at the moment, just seems a bit ridiculous.

Anywho, i will keep playing, and keep enjoying my games, i will admit i cannot be competitive in FPS games like COD or BF3, not sure why Darkfall was so smooth for me with my pings but i never felt i was behind the 8-ball in that game like i do in COD/BF3.

You live on the top of the planet and nearest server to you is thousands of miles away, you know this fact so you adapt. 

I live in in the middle of EU and get less than 20 ping for online FPS games, I'm used to fast responses because every game that advertises EU servers, actually have EU servers. Only Funcom does a bait'n'switch with theirs.

For those who say get a faster connection, try to live 2 thousands kilometers further in land and tell me how your connection speed matters. Unless you have a direct optic cable line to the server, your connection speed won't matter because of the literally hundreds of gateways between you and the server.

• RyshaRysha Member Posts: 11

I'm sorry some people can't feel the difference between having above 150ms latency, but others do, and it makes a difference.

For people saying get a better connection - Not everyone can get fiber in their location.

And playing a MMO with 600+ ping competitively? Seriously? Or 35ms from Norway? Stop making things up please, that's ridiculous.

With the server structure, what's the big deal with having EU/US split? It's all one cross server game besides Fusang anyway, imagine all other MMO EU servers basically merged into one. That's a very healthy playerbase.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I am East Coast, USA and playing with several friends from Sweden. They are having no issues.  A couple of zone loads from BM to SC and back they took an extra  30-45 seconds more than I did.

(When they zoned to Agartha to log off, they did have a couple minutes wait which we attributed to the 100+ players standing in the Agartha starting area)

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Originally posted by Rysha

So not only does the EU and UK subscription cost more than all other MMOs, but there are no EU servers too.

Over 150ms for EU, [mod edit]

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=36218

EDIT: Reasons why Europeans could feel shafted:

a) Europeans pay more, both compared to Americans and to European players in other MMOs.

b) Maintenance times will affect Europeans most and already started to.

c) Latency for Europeans is higher than mostly anyone else, and affects gaming for certain players, especially PvPers.

d) The physical location of the servers had been hidden until launch, with no official statement, and ended up hurting Europeans most.

A) yep welcome to how most of the rest of the world outside the US has felt for years.

B) Lol, US maintenance time always affects Oceania and other places. Doesnt affect Europeans most....

C) Higher than mostly everyone else ? not even close.... again try playing from Oceania.

D) LoL again spare a thought for people outside the US & Europe cos 90% of the time we are forced to play on Overseas servers with pings 250-300+

First world problems. I agree they should at least think about EU servers but honestly most of your complaint is shit many MMO'ers have just been putting up with for years.

Ultimately if you dont think you are getting value for money based on the above reasons speak with your wallet and dont buy/sub to the game.

• kartanakartana Member UncommonPosts: 148

Europe once again... I wish I could move!

• fonoifonoi Member UncommonPosts: 56
    I live in South Africa and my gameplay is ultra smooth. I participated in Fusang and did very well even in one on one battles.

Honestly Funcom seems to have really made a very latency tollerant game, if there is any reason not to buy this game, this is not it.

I pay the same 15 euros and honestly that's nothing to complain about. That's the cost of going to the movies for two people here including snacks.
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by fonoi
    I live in South Africa and my gameplay is ultra smooth. I participated in Fusang and did very well even in one on one battles.

Honestly Funcom seems to have really made a very latency tollerant game, if there is any reason not to buy this game, this is not it.

I pay the same 15 euros and honestly that's nothing to complain about. That's the cost of going to the movies for two people here including snacks.

WoW thats cheap for movies 3D without snacks here in the UK is around 15 quid for one ticket a drink is about 4 quid and popcorn £4/5.  With my HD sceen at home being what it is I almost cant be arsed with the cinema anymore.  Let me put things into perspective it almost costs me to take my family to the cinema as it does to a top class rollercoaster themepark.  I SAY NO MORE.

• EiaeEiae Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by m0ck

Is the scam charging for your game? Well, you're missing out!

The scam (by "That Company") is that they pocket the difference in exchange rate. $50 isn't the same as €50 or £50 for that matter.

It has to be a damn good game for me to accept that. This one doesn't appear to be one and with "That Company" involved this scam probably isn't the only way they cheat you.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

glad i waited before buying this game, as i live in the UK i wasnt best pleased with the subscription fees for UK players, especially considering also get an inferior service, servers in the USA are just not acceptable, the latency from the USA to the UK is just not good enough, so no matter how good the game may be, without a closer server, there is absolutely no point in getting the game.. image

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Eiae
    Originally posted by m0ck

Is the scam charging for your game? Well, you're missing out!

The scam (by "That Company") is that they pocket the difference in exchange rate. $50 isn't the same as €50 or £50 for that matter.

It has to be a damn good game for me to accept that. This one doesn't appear to be one and with "That Company" involved this scam probably isn't the only way they cheat you.

Here in the netherlands its 44euro, pretty darn close to 50usd in my book, then ofcourse, FC charges players the same price.

Then another minor detail, every single game on the shelfs is aprox the same price, the older ones are cheaper though.

I pay 12.99 + tax, which is about 15usd + tax, the UK pays 9ish pound +tax (give or take 11.50inc tax) which is.. roughly 15usd.

They pay 15usd in the US +tax (for some states.)

Your math seems to be a bit off to me.

As for latency, those world wide arena battles didnt seem to have too much of a issue with it.

• MishakaiMishakai Member Posts: 105

Sigh.. this argument again.. Seems the only way to make MMO gamers happy is to put the dang server in their basement so they can run a 1gb line straight to it.

I play Asian games, servers are in asia, maintenance time is usually my prime time, latency is slower than the people in asia.  Guess what... I got over it.

Originally posted by Mishakai

Sigh.. this argument again.. Seems the only way to make MMO gamers happy is to put the dang server in their basement so they can run a 1gb line straight to it.

I play Asian games, servers are in asia, maintenance time is usually my prime time, latency is slower than the people in asia.  Guess what... I got over it.

if your going to pay to play a game, you expect to get the same level of service as the rest of the players, if you don't then honestly.. why bother, and its not a small issue, latency is the single biggest factor that affects gameplay in pvp games. its not something that can be 'trivialised' no matter how much 'spin' you try to put on it.image

Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Mishakai

if your going to pay to play a game, you expect to get the same level of service as the rest of the players, if you don't then honestly.. why bother, and its not a small issue, latency is the single biggest factor that affects gameplay in pvp games. its not something that can be 'trivialised' no matter how much 'spin' you try to put on it.image

So.. how did blizzard resolve that issue with their arena tournement, where US, EU Asian and what ever region in the world competed with eachother?

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

So instead of a 72 ping - people are getting a 130 ping?  Yes, that is unacceptable.  Clearly.

Originally posted by jdnyc

So instead of a 72 ping - people are getting a 130 ping?  Yes, that is unacceptable.  Clearly.

130 ms latency is pretty bad, 150+ ms latency is a waste of time, clearly..  though i would have to say, i would love to be the one with the 70 ms latency vs the ones with 130+ latency, simply because it makes things far easier to pwn people.. significantly easier in fact. image

130 ms latency is pretty bad, 150+ ms latency is a waste of time, clearly..  though i would have to say, i would love to be the one with the 70 ms latency vs the ones with 130+ latency, simply because it makes things far easier to pwn people.. significantly easier in fact. image

Ill ask you again, how did Blizzard resolve the issue with their world wide Arena tournement?

Originally posted by Panthien

Ill ask you again, how did Blizzard resolve the issue with their world wide Arena tournement?

because WoW is a turn based game perhaps?  but thats something you need to check up with from people who actually play it..  a lot of the 'older games' were based on each 'turn' being anything up to 240ms and.. i may be wrong.. but isnt WoW actually a localised game anyway .. so the 'latency'variations shouldnt be that great..  but again.. this is about TSW, not WOW.. where latency is an issue, one that makes a difference.  Personaly, i'd rather lose a pvp match due to skill rather than latency imbalance.  why do we care about Blizzard exactly anyway? image

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I'm sorry but I did not read all the pages.

Are there servers in Europe, yes or no?

If it's on the east coast of the US I will get 100-120 ping from the Netherlands (arguably a country with one of the best internet infrastructures PLUS a major trafic hub directly to the US AND almost closest to the US compared to other Europeian countries)

If people from Europe are getting 89 ping like I read, then the server can not be in the US in my opinion but are in Europe or west Asia.

because WoW is a turn based game perhaps?  but thats something you need to check up with from people who actually play it..  a lot of the 'older games' were based on each 'turn' being anything up to 240ms and.. i may be wrong.. but isnt WoW actually a localised game anyway .. so the 'latency'variations shouldnt be that great..  but again.. this is about TSW, not WOW.. where latency is an issue, one that makes a difference.  Personaly, i'd rather lose a pvp match due to skill rather than latency imbalance.  why do we care about Blizzard exactly anyway? image

World of warcraft is turn based?!?! But yes WoW is a localized game but they did/do host world wide (pvp) tournement. World wide as in people from all over the world where competing against eachother.

Regardless you still lose due to skill, trying to find reasons to blame is an unfortunate human trait.

Ive high lighted the part you missed when you read the post the 1st time.

• SilverminkSilvermink Member UncommonPosts: 289

If this is true then its surprising, as anything over 100 ms .. or even over 80 ms for that matter, is a pretty high latency, given modern technology etc, if its because there are no Euro located servers, then that would explain it, not sure i'd be too interested in trying to play a game in pvp mode on a USA server, the advantage is too much with the 'local' players, hopefully there are 'Euro' servers and this was just a glitch in picking the 'wrong server' by the OP... image

I'm in the US, been on both Cable and DSL lately and I rarely ever see under 100ms Latency in games. I am pretty comfortable at 150. Now if you are talking ping times...that is a different story and I don't check those. In game times are packet round trip times, not just a simple ping.

World of warcraft is turn based?!?! But yes WoW is a localized game but they did/do host world wide (pvp) tournement. World wide as in people from all over the world where competing against eachother.

Regardless you still lose due to skill, trying to find reasons to blame is an unfortunate human trait.

Ive high lighted the part you missed when you read the post the 1st time.

yes believe it or not WoW is actually a turn based game, but way to go to totally avoid the issue of why its such a bad idea in TSW to not have localised servers, especially for PVP orientated gameplay, as an answer you have added new meaning to the whole concept of epic fail..  this is about TSW, and its about servers only being in the USA, and its about the latency between the UK and USA, and oddly enough, the fact that you pay more in the UK to play TSW than you do in the USA.. i think the OP's title for this thread might just be relevant here.  On the other hand, what on earth makes you think the PVP in TSW is anything remotely similar to the PVP in WoW ???? imageimage