Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Europeans shafted again

Comments

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Every mmorpg that is released European players are always complaining about unfair treatment, it's really old at this point.

Suck it up and accept that gaming companies cannot please everyone. They try as best as possible to ensure that they can, but it simply isn't possible in all cases.

Cut them some slack, they are not doing it to purposefuly piss you off.

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108

I play at 110ms from Milan, Italy, the worst cabled country of Europe i think. EU servers of WoW back when i played for comparrison had 62 to 130ms lag... i see no problem OP[mod edit]

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Vrika
    Originally posted by Dredde

Whats up with the lies from people not playing the game? I live in norway and got 50-70 ms.

They you must have really baddass internet connection. The distance between Norway and USA East Coast (I'm counting from Oslo to New York) is 5 900 km traveling on shortest possible route alond the earth's surface. The speed of light in optical fiber is around 200 000km/s. That means that the travel time of the signal must be about 60ms even if routing, amplifying, and curves in the network would cause no additional delay.

When you get ping of 50ms to USA east coast, I claim that either your ISP is breaking the laws of physic, or the latency calculator is set to intentionally display too low values.

EDIT: But Norway likely has good connection over the Atlantic, so ping of 70ms would already be believeable /EDIT

Speed of light is almost 300000 km/s, not 200, just saying, in case you made your math with the 200 and it was not just a typing mistake.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Originally posted by Kost

Every mmorpg that is released European players are always complaining about unfair treatment, it's really old at this point.

Suck it up and accept that gaming companies cannot please everyone. They try as best as possible to ensure that they can, but it simply isn't possible in all cases.

You are not required to read our posts if you don't want to. But we really need to complain, because if we just accepted everything no MMO would make separate European servers.

Originally posted by AvatarBlade

Whats up with the lies from people not playing the game? I live in norway and got 50-70 ms.

They you must have really baddass internet connection. The distance between Norway and USA East Coast (I'm counting from Oslo to New York) is 5 900 km traveling on shortest possible route alond the earth's surface. The speed of light in optical fiber is around 200 000km/s. That means that the travel time of the signal must be about 60ms even if routing, amplifying, and curves in the network would cause no additional delay.

When you get ping of 50ms to USA east coast, I claim that either your ISP is breaking the laws of physic, or the latency calculator is set to intentionally display too low values.

EDIT: But Norway likely has good connection over the Atlantic, so ping of 70ms would already be believeable /EDIT

Speed of light is almost 300000 km/s, not 200, just saying, in case you made your math with the 200 and it was not just a typing mistake.

I used 200 000km/s on purpose, because the index of refraction (I hope I'm using the correct english term here) in most optical fibers is around 1,5, brining the speed of light inside the cable down to about 200 000km/s.

Though I must admit I don't really know if the transcontinental optical cables are similar to normal optical cables. Perhaps someone has enough knowledge to verify it or correct me?

EDIT: This wikipedia article says that a high-speed cable built for stock trading allows ping of 59ms from UK to USA Easy coast: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernia_Atlantic

I stand by my statement that ping of 50ms from Norway to USA east coast while gaming is not believeable. /EDIT

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by AvatarBlade

I used 200 000km/s on purpose, because the index of refraction (I hope I'm using the correct english term here) in most optical fibers is around 1,5, brining the speed of light inside the cable down to about 200 000km/s.

Tough I must admit I don't really know if the transcontinental optical cables are similar to normal optical cables. Perhaps someone has enough knowledge to verify it or correct me?

My bad actually, thought fiber optics are equivalent to vacuum, which actually they are not.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565
    Originally posted by Kost

Sometimes European players have to wait longer for content patches. Perhaps the patch will go live on US servers first and a few days or a week later on EU servers. And sometimes European players also have to pay a higher price for the game, for subscription and for other service.

Its not strange that some complain all the time about things like that. I mean people want the exact same quality at the same time and for the same price. And if they must pay more, wait longer or perhaps get less features compared to US players they will think its unacceptable. Things like that really are unfair treatment. And often it is much worse if they have EU servers that some European company is running.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

PLaying from the Netherlands and getting a ping of 34. Not sure what people are complaining about.

• ConnlaiConnlai Member Posts: 26

A very cool article about Funcoms server technology, can be found here. The latency is not excactly an issue in an mmorpg where twitch skills is secondary to skill in building your character. Since all attacks are on a timer, what little edge you would get by having 50ms better ping in a FPS, should now longer be an issue in this game. I feel that the benefits of having all players on one server, less waiting for PVP groups to fill up and so forth, FAAAAR outweighs a slight difference in latency.

PVE is giving me no issues what so ever, so for once,  can we just be positive that we have a launch of an MMO without any major problems.

Cheers,

Conlai Darkmoor

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

"Oh I have a good latency so nobody is suffering frm bad one "

Ofc not. Hunger is also not a problem if you live in  Buckingham palace.

Look at the world wealth how can anyone be hungry.

I dont care if you are fanboy or not the truth is many of us have bad latency  wit hgood isp - I always have a nice ping in other games.

p.s. I just loled when I read about how latency is not an issue in this game, again -  lfmo

PVE is giving me no issues what so ever, so for once,  can we just be positive that we have a launch of an MMO without any major problems.

Sure you have no issues so everybody is happy right?

Originally posted by Panthien

PLaying from the Netherlands and getting a ping of 34. Not sure what people are complaining about.

Then either

a) Servers aren't located on USA east coast, or

b) Funcom ping calculator lies.

Distance between USA and Netherlands if you travel shortest possible line on earth's surface is 5 800km. Transmitting information 5 800 km back and forth, total of 10 600km, in 0.034 seconds means the information is transmitted at speed of 312 000 km/s. Mankind does not posess the technology to transmit any messages from Netherlands to USA at that speed.

It's impossible that the servers would be located in USA, you in Netherlands, and you'd get ping of 34 milliseconds.

• ConnlaiConnlai Member Posts: 26

Explain to me, since I am so slow, how does a latency of 100 ms or 1/10th of a second render a non twitch game unplayable in your eyes. What sort of mad touchtyping skills do you guys have that will make or break a PVP battle in 1/10th of second (in reality the difference will be smaller, but in order to make the math easy enough for my silly little brain to compute. Explain this to me... 

Most skills have a refresh timer of minimum 1 second, so how will this affect your ability to defeat that dastardly low latency american, because he's moving too fast for you to target him? 

If any of you are experiencing higher latency than let's say 500ms, then I can see that it would be an issue, but this does not seem to be the case here. TSW is not a game of quick reflexes and a steady aim my friends, if you think that you obviously have been misinformed.

Have fun flaming me, I am gonna go play the game.

Cheers,

Conlai Darkmoor

Templar

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

That's starting to get hilarious. 50 ms from Norway, 34 ms from Netherlands  - to USA.

What's next? 15 ms from Paris? or 55 ms from Moscow?

Seriously if you're gonna lie then at least try to be beliveable...

Originally posted by Connlai

Explain to me, since I am so slow, how does a latency of 100 ms or 1/10th of a second render a non twitch game unplayable in your eyes. What sort of mad touchtyping skills do you guys have that will make or break a PVP battle in 1/10th of second (in reality the difference will be smaller, but in order to make the math easy enough for my silly little brain to compute. Explain this to me... 

Most skills have a refresh timer of minimum 1 second, so how will this affect your ability to defeat that dastardly low latency american, because he's moving too fast for you to target him? 

If any of you are experiencing higher latency than let's say 500ms, then I can see that it would be an issue, but this does not seem to be the case here. TSW is not a game of quick reflexes and a steady aim my friends, if you think that you obviously have been misinformed.

Have fun flaming me, I am gonna go play the game.

Cheers,

Conlai Darkmoor

Templar

No you dont need an explanation, you need to try to pvp in a game, any game

and then you will see what is the most important factor to be effective in pvp... hint? no it is not gear

p.s. you are the one flaming people who have problems with latency but as you dont see the problem with that you dont see the problem with your interventions in this thread

Originally posted by Connlai

Not unplayable, but:

Scenario 1)

0.00 seconds:  Player A with ping of 50ms comes around the corner in front of you

0.33 seconds: You react by casting instant crowd control spell on your opponent (your ping 120 ms)

0.36 seconds: Your opponent starts casting the same crowd control spell on you

0.385 seconds: Your opponent's command to cast crowd control spell reaches the server

0.39 seconds: Your command to cast crowd control spell reaches the server. Your spell fails because you were crowd controlled at the time of casting

Scenario 2 - this happens only with badly coded servers:

Two people spam ability with refresh time of 1 second. Player A (ping 50ms) takes 1.05 seconds to cast it. Player b (ping 120ms) takes 1.12 seconds to cast it. Player B's damage is 1 - (1.05 / 1.12) = 6% lower than that of player B.

• corvenikcorvenik Member Posts: 75

wow despite this i still get 126 ping and no fps drops with the servers located far away :o

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by fenistil

That's starting to get hilarious. 50 ms from Norway, 34 ms from Netherlands  - to USA.

Do you know for 100% that no servers are located in europe?

Originally posted by byson123

I like how the trolls ignore the positive people and only focus on the negative things in the thread. Haters gonna hate :P

I am glad you are happy, see only flowers around you and are overjoyed to praise and worship this game. But you see, if YOU dont have any issues this doesnt mean that other pople have no problems so please leave the people to state their problems and avoid calling them trolls and haters.
    Oh and you know how people that worship a game are called ? The ones that like to flame other people for stating their problems with a particualr  game ?

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Rysha

So not only does the EU and UK subscription cost more than all other MMOs, but there are no EU servers too.

Over 150ms for EU, [mod edit]

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=36218

Dont worry about it, Funcom has always and I mean ALWAYS shafted US players AFTER release and acted as if only Euro players matter. One only has to look at AO and AoC to know that, so dont worry, in the end...Americans will be abused while you get everything for the slightly extra pay.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Chrome1980
    Originally posted by fenistil

Do you know for 100% that no servers are located in europe?

ALL mmorpg's that have servers in diffrent locations - company make it clear to it's clients so they can choose server closest to them for best experience if they want to.

If there are really some servers in EU and some in USA and Fucnom haven't informed players about which servers are located where - then it is ridiculosely bad service.

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

I live in the UK and am having no latency issues whatsoever.  The game's running absolutely fine.

Originally posted by FuryV

I live in the UK and am having no latency issues whatsoever.  The game's running absolutely fine.

Tell me something, I am really curious: How did you get your latency and what was the number?

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

i am also not having any problems in the slightest. I live in the UK have the game on max settings and run at a fps of around 45 and may latency is around 55ms even when there is a lot of action going on. As for my internet connection, i use Virgin Media and have a 30meg line. 

Not sure as to why some people are having problems but I am not sure as to how it is Funcoms fault. If people are getting inconsistant speeds that more an isp issue imo tbh. 

Also, to my understanding, don't we all share the same server as the 'Americans' and we just have different dimensions? that was something on the their main site which said because it is just one server, Eu and Americans will be able to play together in addition to have a server bound trading hall meaning better economy?

• AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482

I live in Norway and have no latency issues. I think the single server technology rocks!

Everybody can play with everybody. Havent played EVE, but I understand they also have a technology where everybody is on the same server. Go troll their forums instead. (if I am wrong and they have EU/US servers I appoligise)

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?