Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game strictly digital download?

13»

Comments

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205

I'm sorry....but when was the last time an MMO came out with DVDs that you didnt promptly need to download a few gigs more after installation? And the past couple years even consoles have been moving away from hard copies for games, even for non-MMOs, because thats less expense and better ability to patch/update.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Wolfynsong
    Originally posted by Cursedsei

... and even some DVDs can store up to 18 or so gbs.

I was pretty sure that dual-layer DVDs capped at 7.961 GB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD#Capacity

Both a rewriteable disc and a double-sided single layer clock around 9gb (rounded down) of storage. A Double-sided, Double-layered DVD however can store 17gb.

Still no reason though that they couldn't release a disc or two for retail copies, since it would ease the stress on downloading the digital versions.

And I wasn't aware of that Nefera, so thanks. I've been using the BWE 1 client since it was available, and seeing as there hasn't been any notifications about having to DL the next version of the client, I haven't grabbed the newer ones.

• steeler989steeler989 Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Originally posted by Shiotcrock

I didn't see anything on amazon or the GW2 homepage about a Hard Copy of the game. I really don't want to spend a few days downloading this thing. 

The pre-purchasing of the game is mostly digital download (unless you got the CE for the game) but otherwise, you can still get a hard copy of the game.

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237
    Originally posted by Cursedsei

Both a rewriteable disc and a double-sided single layer clock around 9gb (rounded down) of storage. A Double-sided, Double-layered DVD however can store 17gb.

Ah.  I hadn't considered the double-sided ones.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

If the box I pre-purchased through gamestop just has a code in it and no game disc I'm going to be pissed.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Is this one of the so called first world problems? i chuckled a little.

If you think your internet is bad and takes days you should see how bad is here.

You should be happy that you are getting a AAA mmo that doesnt ask you 15 bucks a month and deal with everything they throw at you.

• eugheuforceeugheuforce Member UncommonPosts: 46

Boxes for games is a thing of the past. Everything digital is the way to go.

When I was a kid/teen I always thought boxes were nice and cool, but now I don't care, it takes too much place when you have plenty, it's just bothersome :d

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127
    Originally posted by Epic1oots

I dont mind digital copies, I love the boxies and all but they just take up space eventually. But what annoys me is how companies charge us the same for digital and a hard copy. Sure we are in the age of downloading everything, but why do have to pay the same for a digital copy if a hard copy cost the same?

just sitting in a transistional period...soon everything will be digital or boxes will be made in advance and only in numbers preordered.

once we are there, ditigal will be stand and the boxes will only be for CEs and such

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by needalife214

I dont mind digital copies, I love the boxies and all but they just take up space eventually. But what annoys me is how companies charge us the same for digital and a hard copy. Sure we are in the age of downloading everything, but why do have to pay the same for a digital copy if a hard copy cost the same?

just sitting in a transistional period...soon everything will be digital or boxes will be made in advance and only in numbers preordered.

once we are there, ditigal will be stand and the boxes will only be for CEs and such

There needs to be a major upgrade in the North American Internet infrastructure first. Like if we could at least catch up to South Korea that would be great.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by Xzen

There needs to be a major upgrade in the North American Internet infrastructure first. Like if we could at least catch up to South Korea that would be great.

great but highly unrealistic and really expensive both of which companies hate. South Korea's size is really really small and highly dense while in the u.s or Canada eh, is the exact opposite of that. Which means those countries ain't gonna be catching up anytime soon.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Xzen

Right, trying to be as effective in internet acces as a country with 250m less people and 9.7 million less km2 is so easy.

Dear god, people nowdays.

• KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293

EU: 

The pre-purchase come in the form of a dvd box that includes a code (not actual discs). Upon release people who own this wont need to return to the retailer to get additional codes or boxes. 

US: 

Retailers give away the codes for pre-purchace and upon release the customers will have to go back and get the boxed version (including the dvds).

So the dvd boxes are confirmed for the US and my guess is that EU will have them as well. 

Dont underestimate the power of "the box" . Many people visiting a retail store buy games they see on the selves.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Even if it would offer discs, this doesn't save you a whole lot of time.

Producing and distributing the discs (worldwide) takes up a lot more time than some folks think, which means the client is already severely outdated before you get it and you would need to download a huge patch (or multiple ones) after installing the game from discs anyways.

You get a lot of whining either way, folks who get discs and expect to be able to install and jump straight in within a few minutes after they get home, and folks who don't get disks that complain about the download time anyways.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by lilHeala

Even if it would offer discs, this doesn't save you a whole lot of time.

Producing and distributing the discs (worldwide) takes up a lot more time than some folks think, which means the client is already severely outdated before you get it and you would need to download a huge patch (or multiple ones) after installing the game from discs anyways.

You get a lot of whining either way, folks who get discs and expect to be able to install and jump straight in within a few minutes after they get home, and folks who don't get disks that complain about the download time anyways.

Also, imagine what it'll be like when a few years later after upgrading your computer you bust out the GW2 installation disk, and think to yourself: "Hey, I'll just install this real quick, I'll be in game in no time at all!"

Though, anyone with half an ounce of foresight would back up the .dat file.

• ShiotcrockShiotcrock Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by Elesthor

EU: 

The pre-purchase come in the form of a dvd box that includes a code (not actual discs). Upon release people who own this wont need to return to the retailer to get additional codes or boxes. 

US: 

Retailers give away the codes for pre-purchace and upon release the customers will have to go back and get the boxed version (including the dvds).

So the dvd boxes are confirmed for the US and my guess is that EU will have them as well. 

Dont underestimate the power of "the box" . Many people visiting a retail store buy games they see on the selves.

Thanks for that I'm new to the PC gaming thing I haven't upgraded my PC since 2003 but only have a 150 kPS connection which is fine for playing online but sucks for downloads. I just installed EQ 2 free took two and a half days to install  basically I played the game back in the day but it kinda fell flat at times.

• ihatepugsihatepugs Member Posts: 61

The box would have to include a few DVDs to hold content for the most recent datfile.  My dat file is already "15.4 gigs".  16,203,520 KB.  I can't even carry this on my thumb drives anymore.  I'd have to get a 32 gig one to do just that.  

The file size for the game could be discouraging if you don't start downloading now, you might not have the game in time.  I'd suggest if possible to find a friend that can get the file for you, so you can hand it to friends.  

I'll delete the datfile and redownload it to see if the size has been compressed.  I'll post when I finish getting it again.  I have a FIOS line, so it's not too much trouble.  

• ihatepugsihatepugs Member Posts: 61

Redownloading the gw2.dat file got me a file size of 13.6 GB, which is 14,280,302 KB.  So even redownloaded/compressed, however it works, the file size is still a minimum of four conventional DVDs.

I remember something similar happening with the gw.dat.