Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game strictly digital download?

Comments

• ShiotcrockShiotcrock Member Posts: 87

What I don't understand why would you want a 10" figure of RYTLOCK when you dont' even get a copy of the game?

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Shiotcrock

What I don't understand why would you want a 10" figure of RYTLOCK when you dont' even get a copy of the game?

Put it this way -  why would I want an installation disc for the game when I already have it installed and up to date on my computer from playing the beta weekends?

• ShiotcrockShiotcrock Member Posts: 87

I didn't particiate in the beta because I believed there was going to be a Hard Copy of the game later on.

People do uinstall games for various reasons too

• KagnestiKagnesti Member UncommonPosts: 37

just thought that i would share this as no one has said it: the beta weekend event client is NOT THE REAL CLIENT! you will have to download a completely different client for the actual game for when it is released. you cannot use the BWE client for the actual game client. so if you do not have access to the BWE do not download the BWE client as it is a waste of time. ask the a-net team in twitter or facebook if you do not believe me.

P.S. i have bought the collectors edition and paid for it in full.

Originally posted by fang06

just thought that i would share this as no one has said it: the beta weekend event client is NOT THE REAL CLIENT! you will have to download a completely different client for the actual game for when it is released. you cannot use the BWE client for the actual game client. so if you do not have access to the BWE do not download the BWE client as it is a waste of time. ask the a-net team in twitter or facebook if you do not believe me.

Source?

Edit: Or do you mean that the actual launcher needs to be re-downloaded and re-installed? Because in that case you can just back up the .dat file and only have to download 10 MB or so, not the whole 16 GB deal.

Originally posted by Nefera

Originally posted by fang06 just thought that i would share this as no one has said it: the beta weekend event client is NOT THE REAL CLIENT! you will have to download a completely different client for the actual game for when it is released. you cannot use the BWE client for the actual game client. so if you do not have access to the BWE do not download the BWE client as it is a waste of time. ask the a-net team in twitter or facebook if you do not believe me. P.S. i have bought the collectors edition and paid for it in full.
    Source?
    a post made by the a-net team a month ago as someone asked that question. it was asked on twitter. i will not make a twitter or facebook account just to ask it as i refuse to dirty my e-mail with their dirtyness. but by all means ask on one of them and you will get your answer from them.

to reply to your edit. the BWE client does not install anything. it just downloads the files and allows you to run them. they actual client will install everything and have a registry in your computers registry.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guild-Wars-Standard-Edition-DVD/dp/B007YZ5B0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341048584&sr=8-1

I don't know if you can order from the UK amazon but they do sell hard copies of the game. They are also much cheaper at 34.99 quid rather than 49.99 (loooooool) in the online store. IF you order now from Amazon, I won't be suprised if the game drops below 34.99! Amazon always guarantee that you will pay the lowest amount between the time you order and the release date.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by fang06 just thought that i would share this as no one has said it: the beta weekend event client is NOT THE REAL CLIENT! you will have to download a completely different client for the actual game for when it is released. you cannot use the BWE client for the actual game client. so if you do not have access to the BWE do not download the BWE client as it is a waste of time. ask the a-net team in twitter or facebook if you do not believe me. P.S. i have bought the collectors edition and paid for it in full.
    Source?
    a post made by the a-net team a month ago as someone asked that question. it was asked on twitter. i will not make a twitter or facebook account just to ask it as i refuse to dirty my e-mail with their dirtyness. but by all means ask on one of them and you will get your answer from them.

I've been following their twitter, and not seen anything of the like. Or do you mean that the actual launcher needs to be re-downloaded and re-installed? In which case you can just back up the .dat file, download the 10 MB or so launcher, and plop the .dat file back in without having to re-download the whole 16 GB? In which case it's certainly not a waste of time to download the game before release.

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

just thought that i would share this as no one has said it: the beta weekend event client is NOT THE REAL CLIENT! you will have to download a completely different client for the actual game for when it is released. you cannot use the BWE client for the actual game client. so if you do not have access to the BWE do not download the BWE client as it is a waste of time

Ah, thanks for posting that, it's news to me. Something we need to look into. Lets hope they make the full client available some time before release then otherwise a huge chunk of the early start will be taken up watching the download progress bar...

Originally posted by korat102

Originally posted by fang06 just thought that i would share this as no one has said it: the beta weekend event client is NOT THE REAL CLIENT! you will have to download a completely different client for the actual game for when it is released. you cannot use the BWE client for the actual game client. so if you do not have access to the BWE do not download the BWE client as it is a waste of time
    Ah, thanks for posting that, it's news to me. Something we need to look into. Lets hope they make the full client available some time before release then otherwise a huge chunk of the early start will be taken up watching the download progress bar...
    they will release the actual client for the game before the 3 day headstart happens. to those that actually get in the headstart program.

[EDIT] by all means ask on twitter/facebook about the client if you do not believe me or you want proof. im going to sleep now as its 4:38am and i have to get up in 3 hours to go to work.

Originally posted by korat102

Originally posted by fang06 just thought that i would share this as no one has said it: the beta weekend event client is NOT THE REAL CLIENT! you will have to download a completely different client for the actual game for when it is released. you cannot use the BWE client for the actual game client. so if you do not have access to the BWE do not download the BWE client as it is a waste of time
    they will release the actual client for the game before the 3 day headstart happens. to those that actually get in the headstart program.

[EDIT] by all means ask on twitter/facebook about the client if you do not believe me or you want proof. im going to sleep now as its 4:38am and i have to get up in 3 hours to go to work.

Burden of proof is on the one making the claim. I don't mind speculation, but spreading (mis)information without anything to back it up is another thing.

Edit: Adding this here in case anyone is reading through the thread: "You will use the same client for BWE3 and at launch. ~ RB2", source: https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/220906085052198912

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

I think the real question is why don't you already have it installed.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

Yeah, they can't fit more than 16GB on a DvD. It was disturbing to pre-purchase and get a white box with no cd whatsoever.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Burden of proof is on the one making the claim. I don't mind speculation, but spreading (mis)information without anything to back it up is another thing.

This is actually not a court. If you want to be informed and then inform yourself and do not rely on other to do that for you. He gave you a piece of information. If you decide to mistrust the person or the information then it's not his problem, but yours. I agree adding a source is always better, but still no-one but yourself carry the burden of proof on a forum :P

Originally posted by Coman

This is actually not a court. If you want to be informed and then inform yourself and do not rely on other to do that for you. He gave you a piece of information. If you decide to mistrust the person or the information then it's not his problem, but yours. I agree adding a source is always better, but still no-one but yourself carry the burden of proof on a forum :P

I know this is not a court. However people do tend to ask for information on forums, and when someone is stating information that isn't true based on what we currently know, and is stating it as a fact, I will comment on that.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Normal, boxed DVD copies will be avalible when the game is actually released (since for game to got  distribution it has to "go gold" which means the client has to be in release state [ minus day0 patch]). I know my local distributor offers sending out the DVD version to those who pre-purchased when it's actually avalible. 

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237

Well, if you take a look at the picture of the Collector's Edition on GW2's website, it pretty clearly has two disks shown.  One of these would be the soundtrack CD. The other, one might assume, would be a client disk.

Then again, the client currently stands at ~16GB in size, which would never fit onto a single DVD. The picture might just be misleading. Or maybe it has multiple disks, but only one is in the picture. Or maybe it's a Blu-ray edition.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

The current client, the BWE, is digital only. Also the client itself isn't even installed, instead it all runs off a self-contained folder, and all you need to do to uninstall the game is to delete said folder.

Which means that it IS likely we'll have to install a new client for the actual game. Other games, if you've ever noticed, have usually just installed themselves as usual which means you'd have to either go through the control panel or to the game's directory and uninstall it from there.

As for release? I'd more than likely imagine it working like this.

Digital Release version of the client is made available before the head-start date for those applicable.

Release date digital buyers then get access to their clients on release date.

Retail-bought clients will come with disk(s) to install the game.

And just a note, while the current client is 16 gigs, you can't necessarily say it is too big to fit on all disks besides bluray. HD DVDs can easily store between 15-30gbs on one, and even some DVDs can store up to 18 or so gbs.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

I didn't see anything on amazon or the GW2 homepage about a Hard Copy of the game. I really don't want to spend a few days downloading this thing. 

A few days? What year do you live in, 1999?

I just upgraded from a 150kbps dl speed to a 3MBps dl speed about a month ago. At the time that was the best package available in the area. It was brutal downloading anything and I always looked at trying to find a hard copy for new games because of it. I think that hard copies are going to make a resurgence when ISPs go to the usage based packages that are coming soon in response to streaming services like Netflix hurting cable companies.

http://www.webpronews.com/netflix-hulu-users-usage-based-internet-is-on-the-way-or-not-2011-12

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

I didn't see anything on amazon or the GW2 homepage about a Hard Copy of the game. I really don't want to spend a few days downloading this thing. 

A few days? What year do you live in, 1999?

I just upgraded from a 150kbps dl speed to a 3MBps dl speed about a month ago. At the time that was the best package available in the area. It was brutal downloading anything and I always looked at trying to find a hard copy for new games because of it. I think that hard copies are going to make a resurgence when ISPs go to the usage based packages that are coming soon in response to streaming services like Netflix hurting cable companies.

http://www.webpronews.com/netflix-hulu-users-usage-based-internet-is-on-the-way-or-not-2011-12

You certainly do make an interesting point regarding all these ISPs trying to charge us on data usage, like in Canada. However I just don't see game companies going back to hard copies more. Too much money to be made in digital downloads.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Cursedsei

And just a note, while the current client is 16 gigs, you can't necessarily say it is too big to fit on all disks besides bluray. HD DVDs can easily store between 15-30gbs on one, and even some DVDs can store up to 18 or so gbs.

At the end of each storage types life cycles they always resort to using multiple units. See the end of the floopy ear when games were shipped with 20 discs! I don't see why it would be any different with DVDs while everything transitions to downloads or HD media. 

I almost typed "digital download" but I caught myself and sat wondering "What is the difference between digital download and just plain old download? Is there such a thing as analog download?"

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Yes, this is download only. Since we are now in 2012 this is the norm.

OP - get a decent internet connection.

I only have 30megabit connection (able to get about 3mb/sec download speed, and I was able to download it in 3 hours or so. Everyone with broadband should be able to download this overnight. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Source?

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

The current client, the BWE, is digital only. Also the client itself isn't even installed, instead it all runs off a self-contained folder, and all you need to do to uninstall the game is to delete said folder.

Which means that it IS likely we'll have to install a new client for the actual game. Other games, if you've ever noticed, have usually just installed themselves as usual which means you'd have to either go through the control panel or to the game's directory and uninstall it from there.

The beta client currently being distributed (on account.guildwars2.com) does require an installation, just like every other game. The first version of the beta client didn't, but they updated it at some point to require an installation. You can still run the game from the client that doesn't need an installation as well.

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237

... and even some DVDs can store up to 18 or so gbs.

I was pretty sure that dual-layer DVDs capped at 7.961 GB.