Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com and it's coverage choices

Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

Case in point: This random TSW build feature from June 26 is still up on the top of the front page, but the release date announcement from yesterday is already buried news.

**Question answered, thank you all! Discussion go!**

Was the GW2 release date reveal ever one of the Latest Features or News items on the front page of MMORPG.com? Just saying, I'm kind of curious considering it's the type hyped game on this site and it's release reveal was the second highest trending topic on Twitter, just under the Supreme Court decision...so why not mention that on the front page? Just kind of seems like MMORPG.com has had very little coverage of GW2, and far more of TSW. I guarantee every day I log in, a good portion of the MMORPG.com front page news items will be TSW-focused. Right now, 5/8 of them are. I get that the game's early access just started but the content isn't even covering that and it's all stuff that's been there for a while now. Yet no mention of TSW's biggest competitor?

Do the MMORPG.com advertisements in TSW have something to do with it maybe?

Just wondering if I'm the only one noticing this trend. I like TSW and hope it succeeds and goes F2P, so I'm not demanding less coverage by any means. But it does seem rather disproportionate.

Comments

• SkullyWoodsSkullyWoods Member Posts: 183

CREAMMORPG

#TeamVainlash
    Why did Marceline's dad eat her fries? I mean...cause she bought them and they were hers...

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

It's funny you hope TSW succeeds but goes F2P. I would think since it's currently a sub game that if it succeeds it won't go F2P, so you're really not hoping it succeeds, you just want it to be free. Unless I'm missing something.

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428

I heard about the release date when I saw it on the front page, you must have missed it. Here is a link to the article

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/24836/Guild-Wars-2-Are-You-Ready-for-August-28th-.html

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by fascism

I heard about the release date when I saw it on the front page, you must have missed it. Here is a link to the article

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/24836/Guild-Wars-2-Are-You-Ready-for-August-28th-.html

And some of us prefer get our news in statements longer than 140 characters.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

So the OP missed the article where the release date was mentioned, and is now saying it's a conspiracy based on revenue from Secret World ads.

lol yep, "everything is true" alright.

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by Oberholzer

It's funny you hope TSW succeeds but goes F2P. I would think since it's currently a sub game that if it succeeds it won't go F2P, so you're really not hoping it succeeds, you just want it to be free. Unless I'm missing something.

Success being profitability and amount of people playing it? Yes, hoping it goes F2P is pretty reasonable. It's becoming standard fare now for subscription MMOs to stop doing well after a few months - a bit over a year, because they can't compete with more established games. So going F2P often opens the game up to a huge amount of new players and results in massive profits where subscriptions failed.

(LOTR, DDO, etc)

Not sure why people still think that subscriptions are the end all be all.

Originally posted by fascism

Thank you! That's why I asked if it was up as a question instead of making it a statement. :)

I still do find it worrying that a disproportionate amount of front-page content is focused on TSW, indeed, it says something that articles about it are still up after several days but that isn't true for the GW2 one--it must have gone down quickly, because I visit the site daily. That or it was buried. Or I'm just blind. ;)

Do you recall how long it was up for?

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Are you kidding me?? Im a super GW2 fan. This site has more news/post/anything about GW2 on maybe a 3 to 1 ratio with TSW.

BTW Im not saying this is a bad thing, we all know GW2 has more hype surrounding it.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

So the OP missed the article where the release date was mentioned, and is now saying it's a conspiracy based on revenue from Secret World ads.

lol yep, "everything is true" alright.

Speaking of jumping to conclusions, you should read the part of my post where I ask it as a question. :)

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Poison_Adele

It's STILL up.  They didn't remove the article.  Go to the NEWS tab and scroll down.  It wasn't removed due to ad revenue.  There's only so many slots for stories on the home page, and as new ones are added, the older ones are dropped off.

• SkullyWoodsSkullyWoods Member Posts: 183

Success being profitability and amount of people playing it? Yes, hoping it goes F2P is pretty reasonable. It's becoming standard fare now for subscription MMOs to stop doing well after a few months - a bit over a year, because they can't compete with more established games. So going F2P often opens the game up to a huge amount of new players and results in massive profits where subscriptions failed.

(LOTR, DDO, etc)

It depends. Some people like to pick and choose what they pay for, and some people like to subscribe and get access to all content right of the bat. Lots of people prefer the latter, and sometimes those same people prefer f2p in some games as well. 

#TeamVainlash
    Why did Marceline's dad eat her fries? I mean...cause she bought them and they were hers...

Originally posted by Kuppa

Are you kidding me?? Im a super GW2 fan. This site has more news/post/anything about GW2 on maybe a 3 to 1 ratio with TSW.

I'm not sure how I'm missing all of it, then. Right now 5 out of 8 news items on the big news scroller (not sure what they're called) are TSW features, not even news. Some of them have been there for a few days, but I never saw the release date announcement here.

I wonder if the news is based on what's listed in your interested games? /logs to check

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

(LOTR, DDO, etc)

I don't think they are the end all be all by any stretch, never said they were. It's not about what payment model is best, if the game was a success in it's current sub form why would they want to go F2P.  When I look at recent games that went F2P it wasn't because they couldn't compete, the games just weren't up to par. I understand why you want it to go F2P, you don't want to pay for it, that's fine, but you're not really wishing it success.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

It's STILL up.  They didn't remove the article.  Go to the NEWS tab and scroll down.  It wasn't removed due to ad revenue.  There's only so many slots for stories on the home page, and as new ones are added, the older ones are dropped off.

It's not up on the news photo scroller (which is the only place most people are going to look), you have to go digging for it, yet several old TSW articles are still up there.

Case in point? This TSW article from 6/26 is still at the top of the front page, but the GW2 announcement from yesterday is already buried.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Potato!

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

(LOTR, DDO, etc)

I don't think they are the end all be all by any stretch, never said they were. It's not about what payment model is best, if the game was a success in it's current sub form why would they want to go F2P.  When I look at recent games that went F2P it wasn't because they couldn't compete, the games just weren't up to par. I understand why you want it to go F2P, you don't want to pay for it, that's fine, but you're not really wishing it success.

LOTRO and DDO couldn't compete, but I loved them and am glad they went F2P, because now they're actually profitable and more people play them. Same goes for TSW. 

I'm not sure how I'm missing all of it, then. Right now 5 out of 8 news items on the big news scroller (not sure what they're called) are TSW features, not even news. Some of them have been there for a few days, but I never saw the release date announcement here.

I wonder if the news is based on what's listed in your interested games? /logs to check

Dude,or gal. Its TSW release this weekend. The LEAST they can do is give it some love otherwise a post just like this will show up in the TSW forums.....image

Look at the news and features for both games.....

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The news tab shows both news items and features and is ordered chronologically from by time of posting. There is no conspiracy here.

We announced the GW2 release date (literally as it was announced to the public) and we've produced more Guild Wars 2 articles than probably any other site out there when it comes to major event coverage. Why has there been an influx of TSW articles of late? The game is launching next week and we've had a number of exclusive opportunities such as the dungeon reveals and skill deck previews in addition to the expected increase in coverage around a major MMO release.

Also, I'm decidedly in the potato camp. Potatoes are delicious!

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

Dude,or gal. Its TSW release this weekend. The LEAST they can do is give it some love otherwise a post just like this will show up in the TSW forums.....image

srs. im looking forward to GW2, but the days/day of release are going to be nigh unbearable levels of saturation.

TSW is releasing now. it  is highly anticipated and deserves it time in the sun.

wo unto to us when Pandaria releases....

I completely understand this. But at the same time, it's weird to have articles on random pre-generated builds in TSW taking up almost the entire front page for several days (ones from 6/26 are still up) while a major announcement from its competitor is buried after a day when every other site is giving it more attention. And it's not like it's a big secret that even in "real journalism", more attention and good press is given to sponsors than non-sponsors. Is it really so absurd that a gaming website would do the same?

Just sayin'.

I completely understand this. But at the same time, it's weird to have articles on random pre-generated builds in TSW taking up almost the entire front page for several days (ones from 6/26 are still up) while a major announcement from its competitor is buried after a day when every other site is giving it more attention. And it's not like it's a big secret that even in "real journalism", more attention and good press is given to sponsors than non-sponsors. Is it really so absurd that a gaming website would do the same?

Just sayin'.

What part of "It's there release weekend".....lets leave it there.

There is no conspiracy, if you been coming to this site for any amount of time in the past year you would know how  many more articles/featrues/news/interviews/ect. there are about GW2 than TSW. Not sure how this is a "conspiracy" when logic tells you otherwise.

Unfortunately all this is going to do is have TSW folks come here after they get out from playing their game today and tell us how bad GW2 fanbois are, in this specific case I agree...

Originally posted by MikeB

The news tab shows both news items and features and is ordered chronologically from by time of posting. There is no conspiracy here.

We announced the GW2 release date (literally as it was announced to the public) and we've produced more Guild Wars 2 articles than probably any other site out there when it comes to major event coverage. Why has there been an influx of TSW articles of late? The game is launching next week and we've had a number of exclusive opportunities such as the dungeon reveals and skill deck previews in addition to the expected increase in coverage around a major MMO release.

Thank you for the response! I'm glad that my question/concern wasn't treated as a rant or accusation, and I really appreciate the thread not just being locked or me being banned for asking. Seriously, kudos there.

In any sort of journalism, it's going to raise eyebrows when the reporter is reporting on the sponsor.

As I said in my previous post, I definitely understand that more coverage for a game that is releasing soon is warranted. No doubts there! At the same time, any large amount of previous GW2 press was conducted before this arrangement with the advertising in TSW. It's definitely possible and even fairly likely that this arrangement was an old one, but it's a reason why "there has been lots of GW2 coverage in the past" isn't really an acceptable to me. My concern isn't that GW2 isn't getting enough coverage, but that TSW-related content is higher-priority. 

As pointed out in my edited OP, there's several front page news scroller articles (5 out of 8) that are TSW related. This isn't really bad except that they're all rather minor articles, and staying at the top for several days longer than any other news. As in my example, an article about some random build in TSW is still up since being published on 6/26, but a major news article that was published yesterday is already off the news ticker? 

I don't think there's some grand conspiracy, but it's not at all uncommon in major news publications for there to be bias in how sponsors are covered. I'd know, I've been an editor, and stuff like that can happen easily without anyone intending it. And really, it's harmless until it becomes a trend, so it's more a matter of curiosity for myself than anything, for now.

It's just worth pointing out and questioning, that's all. :)

Edit: Potatoes? Only if you boil 'em, mash 'em, or stick 'em in a stew.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Thank you for the response! I'm glad that my question/concern wasn't treated as a rant or accusation, and I really appreciate the thread not just being locked or me being banned for asking. Seriously, kudos there.

In any sort of journalism, it's going to raise eyebrows when the reporter is reporting on the sponsor.

As I said in my previous post, I definitely understand that more coverage for a game that is releasing soon is warranted. No doubts there! At the same time, any large amount of previous GW2 press was conducted before this arrangement with the advertising in TSW. It's definitely possible and even fairly likely that this arrangement was an old one, but it's a reason why "there has been lots of GW2 coverage in the past" isn't really an acceptable to me. My concern isn't that GW2 isn't getting enough coverage, but that TSW-related content is higher-priority. 

As pointed out in my edited OP, there's several front page news scroller articles (5 out of 8) that are TSW related. This isn't really bad except that they're all rather minor articles, and staying at the top for several days longer than any other news. As in my example, an article about some random build in TSW is still up since being published on 6/26, but a major news article that was published yesterday is already off the news ticker? 

I don't think there's some grand conspiracy, but it's not at all uncommon in major news publications for there to be bias in how sponsors are covered. I'd know, I've been an editor, and stuff like that can happen easily without anyone intending it. And really, it's harmless until it becomes a trend, so it's more a matter of curiosity for myself than anything, for now.

I'm only seeing four articles on the slider that are TSW related (if it's really the slider you're referring to, NEWS doesn't go there, only features do), by the way. I'm just not sure what you want me to tell you. Three of the four slider TSW articles are there because they are exclusives (which by their very nature take higher priority than anything else as far as slider placement, obviously) and one of them is a TSW column written by our Associate Editor and TSW columnist on the week early access begins. So in three of four cases there are exclusives on the slider and in the fourth case there is a topical editorial.

Why aren't there a huge amount of Guild Wars 2 articles on the site right now? Outside of the release date, things are fairly quiet on the GW2 front. We pumped out tons of articles for each of the first couple of beta weekend events and we both stream and cover each BWE to detail any changes we can find. If we happen to have a bunch of exclusive opportunities for GW2, you can bet you'll see them rocking the slider as well!

Our site exists due to advertisement revenue, sure, but our advertisement deals are handled by our President and CEO Craig McGregor who has placed a 10ft wall between himself and anything editorial related. The rest of our team (myself included) are completely oblivious to our ad campaigns. I have no idea when a site skin for X game is going to pop-up until I see it at the same time you guys do. The same goes for any other advertisement and this extends through to the editorial team as well. This decision was made precisely to avoid these sorts of doubts. We take our role in what we do very seriously and the same goes for the trust we've earned from our readership. Of course, you don't have to believe what I'm saying, that's up to you. 

TL;DR: It's a coincidence, not 'sponsor bias' nor any sort of conspiracy.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

Does it really matter what is "acceptable" to you? Not to me or the many other people that post here. Of course TSW is getting a higher priority. It is their launch week. [mod edit]

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    I never really see the homepage or news (just jump straight in to the forums), but surely TSW is the news of the now, and GW2 is the news of the in-two-months-time?