Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

thiefs

CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

ok so let me get this straight

theres more viable weapon set ups for pvp then dagger/dagger i mean i was recently watchin this dagger/pistol thief and he didnt seem to do to bad but i thought since every video i saw was like dagger/dagger and pistol/pistol i figured those were the only viable weapon combos for a thief in pvp

i was thinkin about goin sword/dagger and shortbow

Comments

• steeler989steeler989 Member UncommonPosts: 665

You just got to find what set-up works for you, not what works for other people.

That, IMO, is the only way to find a good set-up.

• DrunknShamanDrunknShaman Member UncommonPosts: 9

Experimentation is the best way to do it, play them all and see what you like best.

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

From my VERY limited thief play, I wasn't super impressed with the short bow. Dual pistols seemed to provide better damage against single targets. But as a previous poster stated, it's all about finding the style you like.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Dagger/dagger and shortbow for me.

• Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478

Originally posted by CrunkJuice2
    ok so let me get this straighttheres more viable weapon set ups for pvp then dagger/dagger i mean i was recently watchin this dagger/pistol thief and he didnt seem to do to bad but i thought since every video i saw was like dagger/dagger and pistol/pistol i figured those were the only viable weapon combos for a thief in pvpi was thinkin about goin sword/dagger and shortbow  

Here's a shortbow (dagger/dagger) Thief that I thought played pretty well:

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Just experiment with it until you find something that works for you and get used to switching of weaponsets in combat for situational use by learning proper use of the skills in each weapontype.

Elitist PvP'ers tend to try to convince other players that only their favorite weapon and build choices are viable and sheep sucking up to them will copy it, that's how FOTM builds often get born.

I already had plenty of discussions with folks claiming that elementalist using staff probably won't be viable but I've seen proven otherwise a lot. Their only counter argument in the end is that they must've been facing badz / noobz / retardz then... But most players tend to stick to scepter / dagger anyways because most vids of well known players feature mostly those. It's definitely the easiest set to start with and play well and situationally the most viable but that doesn't make other weapons unviable.

The same can be applied to the other classes.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

i actually enjoyed sword dagger better, with pistol/pistol or shortbow.   infiltrator stike is an awesome way to get in and out of melee range quick.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by hundejahre

From my VERY limited thief play, I wasn't super impressed with the short bow. Dual pistols seemed to provide better damage against single targets. But as a previous poster stated, it's all about finding the style you like.

Shortbow has a lot of usefulness in it.

It is VERY good for escaping.  I use my sword/dagger or dagger/dagger to fight with, and my shortbow for going places or running away. :)

It also has a good poison ability, and the shadow step power really lets you move fast, which is useful when either capping points or running for your life. :)

Plus you have that ability that cripples and sends you hopping back, which is a great way to disengage.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

It depends on your situtation really.  Certain combos will be better for different conficts.

I personally like sword/dagger and dagger/pistol.  Sword/pistol is okay, seems like the dps isn't as high as dagger/pistol though you have more tricks to pull off.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Originally posted by steeler989

You just got to find what set-up works for you, not what works for other people.

That, IMO, is the only way to find a good set-up.

Yep,  last BWE I found out I was awesome with my axe/warhorn combo on my warrior.  It fit me like a glove compared to the other weapon sets and I was not even that interested in that combo at all when I first started playing.

BOOYAKA!

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Go with what ever weapon set fits your play style and situation.

Either way, i have a feeling there won't be many of us left if the next BWE patch doesn't amaze us.  Judging by the leaks so far, it doesn't seem like anything to write home about.  Still time though.

• nyxxisnyxxis Member Posts: 62

GW2 is all about personal play style. If you know your weapon skiills and like useing the weapon use it. I think Anet has done an awesome job at making them game about what you like not what everyone thinks you should be. I am sure there will be a few hardcore must be the best at everything that will try to force certian builds and/or skill sets but over all I do not think it will be like other games that the only way you can go kill and raid with them is if you are a support ranger or sword and board guard/warrior etc.

As for the question, the time I played a thief, I thought sword/dagger was a faceroll combo, but maybe that was just me. Play for fun and what you like and you will be as viable as anyone else.

All Murlocs must die horrible, painful, bloody deaths!

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

It heavily depends on what you are trying to do as well. The short bow seems to have more AoE type stuff as well as an escape and poison. I don't see it being as good single target as say the pistols. I have only played theif to 10, so have honestly not event tried out all of the weapon combinations yet.

Everything feels pretty viable, you just have to play it a little differently. Just because a few videos have a person going a certain playstyle doesn't mean that is the only thing that works. There is so much more to experiment with, and the majority of people haven't had a lot of time to play with the classes. I bet we will see many more builds coming out upon release and beyond. We are like pre-infancy stage at this point with build and PvP :P

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

yeah,i dont know.maybe i just need to find a good sword/dagger and dual pistol thief video.cuz i dont know,i just remember back when everyone was doin the whole dagger/dagger and pistol/pistol leaping death blossom spam and unload spam it just looked really boring and lame so i figured id just go with shortbow

the mobility of shortbow looks pretty nice.but i know sword/dagger also has a gap closer so maybe it would be better to go dual pistol with sword/dagger

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Cluster Bomb, ability #2 on the shortbow, while technically an AOE, can be used as a sort of shotgun blast applying triple stacks of bleeding per shot.

Basically you get up close, hover your mouse over your enemy and pound on the 2 key like a deranged monkey who has been trained that '2' dispenses bananas.

The first '2' picks Cluster Bomb, the second '2' automatically applies the AoE to wherever your mouse is at, the third '2' detonates it midair so that it's 3 bombs instead of 1 (Up close), each applying a stack of bleed.

At three initiative, you can fire off about 4 in 2 seconds, which is 12 stacks of bleed.

That's pretty unpleasant unless somebody has condition removal. :)  Between that and choking gas (aoe poison), you can get some pretty significant debuffs on an enemy.  It's actually pretty decent at fighting single targets, especially if you have a strong condition applying build.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I really enjoyed sword/dagger and dual pistols. Wasn't a fan of the shortbow but I think i need more time with it.

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

I've had a lot of fun with pistol/pistol, but probably because it looks cool!

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

short bow, pistol/pistol and sword/pistol are both amazing. dagger/dagger is a little over-rated. my guardian crushed heartseeker spamming thieves.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Meowhead
    Originally posted by hundejahre

Shortbow has a lot of usefulness in it.

It is VERY good for escaping.  I use my sword/dagger or dagger/dagger to fight with, and my shortbow for going places or running away. :)

It also has a good poison ability, and the shadow step power really lets you move fast, which is useful when either capping points or running for your life. :)

Plus you have that ability that cripples and sends you hopping back, which is a great way to disengage.

I second that.

Shortbow has a ground targeted teleport attack that I think blinds everyone around your destination  And with full initiative, you can do it two times in immediate succession.  Couple this with disabling shot that cripples your enemy and flings you backwards, and you are VERY hard to catch.  You can also use your teleport ability to reach vital points faster than the enemy.

I used shortbow extensively in WvW, and I seemed to escape almost everyone with relative ease.  I would almost consider it a must if you are planning to scout or harass a larger force.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

ok so let me get this straight

theres more viable weapon set ups for pvp then dagger/dagger i mean i was recently watchin this dagger/pistol thief and he didnt seem to do to bad but i thought since every video i saw was like dagger/dagger and pistol/pistol i figured those were the only viable weapon combos for a thief in pvp

i was thinkin about goin sword/dagger and shortbow

The reason you see pistol/pistole and dagger/dagger is because their burst is better and that's pretty much all a thief brings to the table. For D/D you drop death blossum to stack up bleeds then use heartseeker to finish the job, plus you get a weakness or vulnerability from your #1 attack. For P/P you use unload and just drop tons of upfront damage, not to mention the bleed you get from your #1 skill, vulnerability from #2, and the daze.

Sword/dagger though has a "broken" skill. Flanking strike, if you spam it, won't hit twice, meaning you lose 2/3rds of the damage. So unlike unload or death blossum you need to watch carefully to make sure the 2nd strike goes off before using another skill. On top of that infiltrators strike is very hard to use effectively and you only get a cripple from your #1 attack. If you can master infiltrators strike, I could see it being a more annoying spec. However you do give up damage(via debuffs) and need to micromanage your skills to gain that annoyance.

Shortbow is nice though. It's pretty much a pre-requisite for WvW and even PvE.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Here is some shortbow rapage in WvW. A lot of AoE, a lot of condition damage, and area denial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpIb5uK_-AY

Fast forward to like 3:50.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

"The reason you see pistol/pistole and dagger/dagger is because their burst is better and that's pretty much all a thief brings to the table. For D/D you drop death blossum to stack up bleeds then use heartseeker to finish the job, plus you get a weakness or vulnerability from your #1 attack. For P/P you use unload and just drop tons of upfront damage, not to mention the bleed you get from your #1 skill, vulnerability from #2, and the daze."

yeah,thats kinda why im tryin to stay away from dagger/dagger because i just remember all those videos ive watched of dual dagger thiefs spamming leaping death blossom and it looked boring but it seems like thats really the only good pvp weapon set up

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

The reason you see so many d/d thief videos is because it's probably one of their best sets right now. Sword/pistol is good too with haste, but it seemed very narrow compared to d/d. As for their other sets, shortbow is still my favorite but p/p can be good too. All about playstyle.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

"The reason you see pistol/pistole and dagger/dagger is because their burst is better and that's pretty much all a thief brings to the table. For D/D you drop death blossum to stack up bleeds then use heartseeker to finish the job, plus you get a weakness or vulnerability from your #1 attack. For P/P you use unload and just drop tons of upfront damage, not to mention the bleed you get from your #1 skill, vulnerability from #2, and the daze."

yeah,thats kinda why im tryin to stay away from dagger/dagger because i just remember all those videos ive watched of dual dagger thiefs spamming leaping death blossom and it looked boring but it seems like thats really the only good pvp weapon set up

I intentionally shyed from dagger/dagger and gave dagger/pistol a try...and loved it.

It's got the great dagger 1 and 2 abilities, 3 is a gunshot-shadowstep, 4 an aoe blind that can be detonated to give your allies stealth, and 5 is a strong ranged damage/interrupt. It's a little more control oriented than d/d, but as wel see people creating builds to deal with the glass cannon builds, You'll see more control/support sets getting popular.

Oh and I try to avoid ranged based builds, but love shortbow as my second set. GREAT mobility to close in or even head off an enemy, and an aoe poison.And cluster bomb spam is a great way to screw with wall defenders. 

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I prefer:

p/p for PVE and picking people off in a crowd in WvW.

shortbow for WvW for the AoE and ability to port all over the map.

d/d or d/p for conquest PVP depending on pugs.

For tournament PVP, reroll.