Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gravity is opening a classic(pre-renewal) Ragnarok Online server!

LocienLocien Member Posts: 87

Gravity is going to open a server on pre-renewal mechanics tomorrow. If anyone else misses RO the way it used to be, why don't you swing by for some nostalgia? You'll most likely find familiar faces since a lot of players are coming back just for this.

More information can be found here and here.

Comments

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999

Hmm, interesting to know but I thought they already did have a free RO server running? or has alot changed since the old days? tbh I never really played it much so I probably wouldn't know either way.. Is this going to be free to play by the way?

imageimage

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

What is the difference?

• LocienLocien Member Posts: 87

They basically revamped the game two years ago. They had a massive content patch which was called "renewal. They changed every aspect of the stat system, skill system, mechanics and every monster was rebalanced.

I think they made a lot of changes which made RO stop being RO. For instance they implemented a system which made it so that you gain less or more exp depending on the level difference between you and the monster, which made it so that everyone was pointed in the same direction as to where to level. One thing that used to be so great about RO was that you had the freedom to go and explore and level wherever you felt like, you could use expensive equipment and a lot of potions and level at high level monsters if you wanted better exp, you could level at monsters 20 levels below you by mobbing them to give you a good amount of exp, and so on.

Another aspect that they completely destroyed with renewal was that the game was streamlined for the casual audience so the game ended up being very easy after the revamp. RO used to be the kind of game where you could pick from lower end dungeons, mid end dungeons, high end dungeons and super high end dungeons. The super high end dungeons basically meant that you had to bring the right equipment, think before acting, taking it slowly and utilizing strategies. One wrong step and you basically get one or two shotted. Nowadays in renewal every new class just has an OP AoE skill that they use to kill every monster within a matter of seconds without any effort or risk of dying, it's not thrilling anymore.

They also removed a lot of signature elements of the game such as instant casting, skill based GvG battles and they changed the old classes beyond recognition by nerfing a lot of their skills to make way for the new third classes.

The server is going to be free, with benefits for those who pay money, obviously. So if anyone wants to try it out, there's no harm in doing so :P