Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it a good time to get in the game?

HauvarnHauvarn Member Posts: 220

I just started a trial account ( First time playing the game)  and I'm getting to the point where I can't train anymore skills because of said account type. 

But before I drop some money into the game I would ask if its a good time to start playing the game.  I am interested in mining and surveying,  but I read about the goons and stuff and it seemed like a terrible time for a newbie to start out.  

Whats the advice the vets have?

Yes I played SWTOR.

Comments

• keviebyokeviebyo Member UncommonPosts: 31

Eve is one of those games that I've tried really really hard to like over the years. Without giving my opinion on the good and bad parts of Eve, I'll just say this.

• They've really made progress the new user experience over the past year or so, making it much easier to get into and understand.
    • There are more changes coming which will add variety to ships. The frigate changes will be exciting for new players, and the changes to ORE ships will give miners more choices.
    • What the Goons have done will not affect you. There are a few rediculously rich people now, but it is nothing to worry about for the average player.
    If you can put up with the slow progression of skills, and like the gambling nature of the game (risk vs reward, time vs isk), then now is as good of a time as any to give it a try.

I've been waiting for a good sci-fi MMO for years, but it is a rough area for gaming right now. Even though things happen which make me hate/quit Eve, it is one of the best choices for a sci-fi MMO right now.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

It's always a good time to get into EVE.

Not all goonies are interested in blowing you up because you're a miner, some of us actually mine ourselves.  We're intersted in paying other people to blow up certian types of ships, usually operated by people who are not at thier computer, or doing even the bare minimum to protect themselves because they think that hi sec means concensual PvP.

Mine and survey to your hearts content, just remember that if you don't fit your ship to prevent it from blowing up, or choose to mine AFK, then you're going to run a risk.  Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.

• astromacastromac Member Posts: 2

Get into a teaching corporation as soon as you finish the new player tutorial missions.

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Educational_organizations

There are also other corps not on the above URL that are willing to accept and teach noobs. Use the corp finder in game and set the parameters you want (including new player friendly) and apply.

If you go it alone there's a good chance you will be overwhelmed, killed often or bored because you're to afraid to do anything. Plus, it's difficult to accomplish anything meaningful solo until you're able to generate enough ISK to be self-sustaining.

Jump in, find a corporation, apply and have fun!

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

It is ALWAYS a good time to try to get into Eve, don't be afraid to. Crap like what the Goons are doing with Hulkageddon happens on a regular basis, and pretty much always has. Just be ready to adapt.

Where's the any key?

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Hauvarn

I just started a trial account ( First time playing the game)  and I'm getting to the point where I can't train anymore skills because of said account type. 

But before I drop some money into the game I would ask if its a good time to start playing the game.  I am interested in mining and surveying,  but I read about the goons and stuff and it seemed like a terrible time for a newbie to start out.  

Forum rabble-rabble is one thing, the reality of the game is another. In game groups will absolutely use the forum to try and affect one another; read everything there with an "What's his angle?" attitude.

Now is a relatively risky time to mine in hi-sec, but the key word here is "relatively". You might also want to consider that there are a vast number of other things to do in EVE than mine. Mining is fine as far as it goes but it's not really very exciting or demanding.

"Surveying" by which I guess you mean exploration? This on the other hand is lucrative and interesting. I would strongly encourage you to pursue this career over mining.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• HauvarnHauvarn Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    Originally posted by Hauvarn

Forum rabble-rabble is one thing, the reality of the game is another. In game groups will absolutely use the forum to try and affect one another; read everything there with an "What's his angle?" attitude.

Now is a relatively risky time to mine in hi-sec, but the key word here is "relatively". You might also want to consider that there are a vast number of other things to do in EVE than mine. Mining is fine as far as it goes but it's not really very exciting or demanding.

"Surveying" by which I guess you mean exploration? This on the other hand is lucrative and interesting. I would strongly encourage you to pursue this career over mining.

Yes exploration is what I meant.  The mining was just to fund my exploring.  Thanks all for the replies, got a month of gametime.

Yes I played SWTOR.